• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 Premium includes 4 themed expansion packs with 16 maps and more

I don't understand this post. You can just filter to search for servers with the DLC on them.
I'll generally search for all maps, and pick something with a decent amount of players and good ping. That usually ends up meaning vanilla maps. I've had better luck on PC than console but still. It's a far shittier experience than a game that pushes out new maps to all players.

So let me get this straight:

BF1 Ultimate Edition is 130$ and contains the game, all pre-order bonuses and the season pass containing 4 DLCs?

Let´s look at Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare:

IW Digital Deluxe Edition is 100$ and contains Infinite Warfare + Modern Warfare Remastered, some pre-order bonuses, and the season pass containing 4 DLCs.

--------------

Seems like CoD:IW DDE has way more value than the BF1 UE even at a lower price. Or am I missing something here?
COD DLC is even worse value than BF. No server browser, no feel for how much you are screwing up your matchmaking compared to vanilla ugh. But I mean, yeah, I guess, if IW doesn't suck, and they don't screw up COD4R it might be a decent value.

THEaaron

They need to fucking stop splitting the playerbase.

It would suffice if they would let you play the non dlc maps on the server. But right now you can't even join the server that has dlc maps in the cycle.

But yeah.. putting maps behind the paywall is not a good solution. Creating a big Battlefield map with fresh assets, alle the lighting, shaders and stuff may be pretty expensive. If they release those maps free they would likely to add another microtransaction thing.

I like systems like CSGO, Overwatch and DOTA2 pretty much. There are enough people that like to invest in skins and non gameplay relevant stuff that they could do it that way.

Maybe with the next big iteration.

Something to be said for a game charging 60 dollars for less than 10 maps at launch (assuming people aren't buying it for the single player), then charging 50 dollars for 16 multiplayer maps. Would anyone change their opinion on this if they instead released another game down the road which was multiplayer only, but contained 16 new maps with the same engine as bf1, but also included the maps from bf1?

I could see why that perspective would make someone dislike the season pass more, as well as some people like it more.

I'd say I prefer paying for additional content over it being free in exchange for microtransaction style garbage monetization affecting the game design negatively. But they're already doing microtransactions and random packs, so...the worst of both worlds.

Might pick it up if it goes on sale next year. I'm not convinced yet that the new game is going to be great and Battlefront seemed to last about 2 weeks among my friends list.

SMG

Disappointing that they still go the map pack route considering how many other games are moving away from that. Kind of a deal breaker for me.

Yup.
Back in the day I bought the BF2 all in one pack, never found a good sever on any of the expansions (ie Low ping, high player count).
Subdividing a playerbase with payed maps is, was and always will be a horrible plan.

I'd say I prefer paying for additional content over it being free in exchange for microtransaction style garbage monetization affecting the game design negatively. But they're already doing microtransactions and random packs, so...the worst of both worlds.

Visual only micros paying for everyone getting new maps is a positive new trend.

Whompa02

From past experience I and people I know always say we won't buy these, and yet we always do.

But...hasn't it always? Outside of shitty smartphone games, I mean.

I don't remember spending 130 dollars on Streets of Rage 2. Sorry I must sound like the old man yelling at clouds on this one, but I'm tired of giving a company a shit load of money upfront, more than the initial price, for a slow content stream over the course of a year.

I'll drop 60 and hope that tats enough of an entry fee for a single content full game. If they want to roll out future stuff, do it in a big chunk, advertise that chunk, and charge me at the time of release.

I don't remember spending 130 dollars on Streets of Rage 2. Sorry I must sound like the old man yelling at clouds on this one, but I'm tired of giving a company a shit load of money upfront, more than the initial price, for a slow content stream over the course of a year.

I'll drop 60 and hope that tats enough of an entry fee for a single content full game. If they want to roll out future stuff, do it in a big chunk, advertise that chunk, and charge me at the time of release.

That's fine. My point was that obviously enough people buy season passes for EA to keep including them, otherwise they probably would've switched to micro transactions.

Pastry

Banned
BF Premium is in my opinion the best DLC on the market. Always worth the value so I'll happily fork over my money. Some of the BF4 DLC maps are my favorites in the game.

Not defending paid map packs, but assuming Streets of Rage II was $60 when it launched in 1992 that would be $102.91 in today's dollar. Games are cheaper overall today than they were 20 years ago. The bump from the average game costing $50 in the 6th gen to $60 in the 7th and 8th gen was actually to keep up with inflation ($50 in 2006 is $60 today).

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

BF1 Ultimate Edition is 130$ and contains the game, all pre-order bonuses and the season pass containing 4 DLCs?

IW Digital Deluxe Edition is 100$ and contains Infinite Warfare + Modern Warfare Remastered, some pre-order bonuses, and the season pass containing 4 DLCs.

--------------

Seems like CoD:IW DDE has way more value than the BF1 UE even at a lower price. Or am I missing something here?

Doesn't COD support only last a year? Because its yearly release. Dice releases content and updates for substantially long period.

Theorry

On the Xbox store it also already up. Guess a announcement was planned for today.

IkYfu4s.jpg

--------------

Yeah, you missed that one lets you play Battlefield while the other lets you play CoD. Definitely getting a worse deal from Activision.

McHuj

I bought BF4 premium on both PC and PS4, between the two platforms I have about 1000 hours of game play. If there were a way to quantity gameplay per dollar or fun per dollar , this game would take the crown.

If BF1 is similar, I have no issues with paying it.

Pompadour

Is the expansion tied to Gamertag or can my wife and I share it on each of our XB1s?

I know PlayStation typically allows you to share season passes.

b0bbyJ03

well, i'll say that i bought premium for BF3 and BF4 and both where worth it, but I also feel like it splits the player base and that fucking sucks so what is the solution?

KORNdoggy

until they show us exactly what we're getting for paying almost DOUBLE the cost of the game, then i can wait. i'm not paying for something i haven't even seen yet...i'm not stupid.

IvanJ

Banned
I was waiting for this announcement. Will gladly buy it, BF Premium is great value, they always put in a great effort in new maps, and the community is there to play with.
Not getting Early enlister, it's only 3 days during the week, I probably wouldn't get to play anyway, I've already preordered the base game on PSN.

bryanee

The BF3/4 Premium DLC's were well worth the money. I'll pick it up closer to the release of the first DLC though.

Visual only micros paying for everyone getting new maps is a positive new trend.
That would be ideal.
I don't trust that's what would happen with Battlefield at all. Because it's not what has happened. Battlefield has weapon attachments in random packs and they sell cheats to circumvent the game's shitty progression system. I doubt that stuff would improve if the DLC was free.

A multiplayer shooter from EA that does the "free DLC" thing, is Garden Warfare 2. Last I checked, it has consumables and makes you put classes together through random packs.

J_Viper

BF4 had some great DLC maps, but unfortunately, DICE has no idea how to properly implement new maps into their games.

Locking map packs to their own individual playlists seems like a move made by people without a functioning brain.

At least COD devs got that part right.

I wanted to get excited about Battlefield 1, but I had a feeling this was coming. From what I've seen with previous Battlefield games, I have no doubt the DLC will be substantial. However, after spending $110 on Battlefront and barely playing any of the DLC, I'm ok with waiting until this is free on EA Access now. I'll just continue playing Overwatch in the meantime.

Lakitu

st5fu
Will buy.

BF 3 and BF 4 premium have been the best season passes I've ever bought, well worth the money. Plus they are bound to get cheaper at some point.

DirtyLarry

Yeah, you missed that one lets you play Battlefield while the other lets you play CoD. Definitely getting a worse deal from Activision.
You beat me to it.
It really is as simple as that.

And someone said earlier in the thread they have yet to prove themselves?
I have been playing the Battlefield series since 2002, or for 14 years now.
Granted the core game has changed significantly over those years but it has always been Battlefield underneath the changes.
So I would say they have proved themselves plenty to me.
I also keep things like history and longevity in mind.

I never buy Season Passes myself. I have purchased Premium twice now for BF. This will be my third time.

I think you end up paying a lot more through microtransactions than through a thing like premium. They fleece you pretty hard if you're buying per skin or whatever. Even worse in like Overwatch where you're just buying the potential to get some skins. I like having skins as a prestige item that you get by doing crazy shit in the game.

Yeah I got my Phantom Bow and skins.

So wait, does that ridiculous $200 collector's edition come with the pass or not?

I swore when all the speculation was going on that if they actually did a WWI battlefield I would buy the most expensive edition. At least if the game is bad my cognitive dissonance at dropping 200 bucks won't allow me to dislike it.

Nvzman

Disappointing that they still go the map pack route considering how many other games are moving away from that. Kind of a deal breaker for me.
BF4 had the best DLC out of any MP game I've played in a long time, so I wouldn't be too worried.

Pastry

Banned
BF4 had some great DLC maps, but unfortunately, DICE has no idea how to properly implement new maps into their games.

Locking map packs to their own individual playlists seems like a move made by people without a functioning brain.

At least COD devs got that part right.

Hopefully servers exist from the start. There are plenty of servers now with good mixes of maps from different DLC.

Phinor

As much as I have supported the Battlefield premium model, I still hate it because of how it splits the player base. Even with 40k players online on PC BF4, it's extremely hard to play the maps and game modes you want to play because most of the player base play the base game maps only and the few remaining players play DLC maps in game modes you don't want to play. BF4 is the best case scenario, then there's Battlefront and especially Hardline where it's literally impossible to play the maps or modes you want to play, unless you want to play the base game modes and maps only.

They need to find a better way to monetize and keep offering post launch support. At the very least don't add ANY game modes with DLC packs because those split the ever smaller player base into even smaller groups.

Mathezar

I'm kind of in 2 minds about this... I'm sad to see maps being put into DLC yet again. I have no problem with DLC as long as it doesn't split the player base, which this clearly does. But then, if there aren't any maps in Premium, would it have the same value and would it be worth buying? Probably not... Would rather see the Premium model scrapped altogether and just focus on cosmetic DLC.

HariKari

Maps and modes need to be free. Premium slices up the community too much. I really liked Chain Link from BF4 but you can't play it if over half the playerbase is missing it.

Daigoro

Maps and modes need to be free. Premium slices up the community too much. I really liked Chain Link from BF4 but you can't play it if over half the playerbase is missing it.

yup. been this way for years now.

ill buy the base game and then quit after the first expansion comes out. this shit ruins the game for me personally.

Pastry

Banned
Thinking back on Premium I think it's kind of funny that some of my favorite BF4 maps didn't come unti othe final pack. Like over a year after release.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
God bless Overwatch with its free characters and content such as maps and future modes. Take notes ladies and gentlemen. And before someone yells microtransactions they are just skins etc that in no way shape or form change the game drastically.

I've been okay with paying for the amount of content the pass adds, but I'm not sure I want to deal with splitting the playerbase anymore. Every time a new expansion comes out it feels like you have maybe two weeks of finding a lot of servers running those maps before it reverts back to the vast majority of populated servers running vanilla plus maybe the first expansion. (On PC, at least; at this point I'd be tempted to get BF1 on PS4 considering how much the PC playerbase has shrunk.)

Top Bottom