• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Call of Duty 2 on XB1 (up to 2x More FPS in Certain Areas)

Quite surprised to see a game getting better performance in BC for once. Was a bit worrying seeing constant Digital Foundry articles reporting BC games running worse on XB1.

Though of course, most of them were late-gen games before that were using a billion and one tricks to run on 360 at all, whilst Call of Duty 2 was a launch-day game optimized for mid-end PCs that the 360 had at the time outpaced on what was the best version of Id Tech for 17 whole years. That's why it surprises me that it had drops to 30FPS though.

So angry. Smh

Bad RROD memories I brought up by mentioning my own RRODing within a few hours of being turned on?

ss_lemonade

Actually this is Switzerland. It's only $20 in the US. Might bite on a $20 gift card. Based region free marketplace.

Might be even cheaper somewhere else, I'll have a look.
But you can't purchase 360 games using gift cards without a 360 right?

SURGEdude

Great improvements. I'm finding I use the BC feature on my Bone a lot more than I expected. Glad MS keeps upping their game.

Hopefully they bothered to get late game footage because they said the same thing about red dead and by the time you get into mexico that game is a mess on xbox one, under 20fps all the time, bad controller response and everything.

Someone else said the same thing about black ops 1 campaign, with one of the later missions turning into a literal slideshow of frames.

statham

th

If MS managed to somehow fix the awful input lag all the BC games have, it'd be a killer feature.
most of my games I don't notice it at all, It is a killer feature right now.

Quite surprised to see a game getting better performance in BC for once. Was a bit worrying seeing constant Digital Foundry articles reporting BC games running worse on XB1.

Though of course, most of them were late-gen games before that were using a billion and one tricks to run on 360 at all, whilst Call of Duty 2 was a launch-day game optimized for mid-end PCs that the 360 had at the time outpaced on what was the best version of Id Tech for 17 whole years. That's why it surprises me that it had drops to 30FPS though.

There have been a number of cases of games running better on XB1 - one recent big example was RDR. Other than Reach, which runs poorly, most games run pretty well on BC - many even better/more stable on XB1 than on 360.

If the framerate is locked at the engine level you won't see it getting improved by the emulation unless they actually unlock it.
I don't remember how well FH ran on 360, but if it dipped at all from 30, there could still be a situation where it runs better on XB1 (holding at 30 vs. dips).

I seem to remember FH running really well from my own experience, though.

I don't remember how well FH ran on 360, but if it dipped at all from 30, there could still be a situation where it runs better on XB1 (holding at 30 vs. dips).

I seem to remember FH running really well from my own experience, though.
I'm really sensitive to framerates, but I can't remember any dips in Forza Horizon and I've spent a ton of time in that game, including recently. It's probably possible in small worst case scenarios, like a busy race corner with lots of dust and debris being spit out, but if it happens it's so rare it's a nonissue.

One nice thing with that game for BC will be loading times. It was already reasonably fast with a hard drive install (much better than FH2, for reference), but I suspect a lot of owners unfortunately never experienced that.

Such a great game, too.

jett

D-Member
I'm always amazed that Microsoft managed to run a 360 emulator on the Xbone. Truly a boon for the console. You can see how not having the equivalent on PS4 hurts the value of PS+'s offerings, for PS4-only owners at least.

Top Bottom