• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G-Sync is the god-level gaming upgrade.

j-wood

Not really, although it can help with that. Get a high refresh rate monitor and then it helps when it can't hit up to say 165fps. Look beyond 60fps, maaaannnn

What i'm getting at though is is gsync worth it if you have a high powered rig where you are hitting 100fps or higher consistently?

Hasney

What i'm getting at though is is gsync worth it if you have a high powered rig where you are hitting 100fps or higher consistently?

Yes, because like for me, I can go up to 165Hz. Not many games lock that when running them on high settings, so the FPS tends to fluctuate away from the refresh rate so all my tearing is destroyed and I get an awesome framerate.

daninthemix

I don't see the advantage of gsync in my situation. Perhaps I'm missing something apart from the ridiculous price of gsync monitors.

Ignorance is bliss.

The 1070 has been out for all of five minutes.

Remember, people thought that way about the 970 when that came out, too. Then, a mere one year later, you start getting stuff like ROTTR and 60fps locked is off the table for 970 users.

Zaph

So I've been rocking a GTX 1070 on 1440p 60hz.
I'm using traditional v-sync triple buffered whenever available.

Every titles I play has been locked at 60fps
because of the tremendous power given by the Pascal gtx 1070.

I don't see the advantage of gsync in my situation. Perhaps I'm missing something apart from the ridiculous price of gsync monitors.

Ignorance is bliss.

Take advantage of one of the things gsync does well (smoothing out 40-60fps) by increasing the render resolution with DSR.

That's what I love about gsync. I now turn everything up until I'm around 50fps (depends on game ofc) and then forget about it. Saying goodbye to the days of readjusting settings when you reach a more demanding/underoptimised part of a game was worth every penny of gsync.

Frostburn

Depends on the game type but just having 120 or 144Hz makes a HUGE difference to me. If you were to show me a game I could tell within 5 seconds if it is running at 60Hz or 120Hz. 120hz to 144hz or higher is a BIT harder to tell but people making out games at JUST 60Hz and 60FPS are missing out. G-Sync is icing on the cake, I only use it for games that I can't reach over 60 FPS consistently and when I have it enabled everything is as smooth as butter. Running an old BenQ XL2420G driven by my old GTX 970 still. I've upgraded the rest of my PC recently but waiting to buy a new video card for now until I can't play games at the levels I want (Will probably just wait for the 1080Ti or whatever comes out next).

Swig_

So after a week of loving my new G-Sync monitor games have suddenly become stuttery as fuck. I know it's probably my GPU, drivers or settings but times like these are why PC Gaming can be a bitch sometimes.

Not sure if it's the same problem, but I run a triple monitor setup. If my machine is on too long or goes to sleep mode, games get super stuttery and are basically unplayable. I have to reboot to fix it. I run almost everything in borderless window. I've heard that this may be the problem. It just drives me crazy that it will be fine, but then something happens and I have to reboot.

I've tried reinstalling drivers, messing with settings, etc. Someone told me that it may be that it has trouble syncing my other windows at the same time as the game. Not sure if I buy that, because after a clean reboot, it works fine. It's really driving me crazy that I can't find a fix for it.

Quick question: those of you that have an Acer Predator XB270HU/XB271HU, do you run the monitor in "overclocked" mode to get 165Hz max? I've been overclocking CPUs for a long time now, and I know with higher-than-stock voltages there is a potential longevity tradeoff (although minor in most cases). Does this monitor setting overvolt the built-in processor(s) of the display? Is there a longevity concern? I'm not sure my eyes can really tell the difference between 144Hz and 165Hz, so if there is, I'll just keep it disabled.

inyue

Banned
Is there any 1080p IPS 120hz+ 24 inch out there? Or any clue of future release?

Apparently there's some options without the IPS but I've been using Eizo FS2333 which has great IPS panel so...

e90Mark

Is there any 1080p IPS 120hz+ 24 inch out there? Or any clue of future release?

Apparently there's some options without the IPS but I've been using Eizo FS2333 which has great IPS panel so...

No new releases. The 1080 panels that come out are all TN.

The only thing that kinda fits your specs is the Eizo FG2421, but it's hard to find. It's a VA panel.

Water

No new releases. The 1080 panels that come out are all TN.

The only thing that kinda fits your specs is the Eizo FG2421, but it's hard to find. It's a VA panel.
I've been using the FG2421 for 2+ years now. To this date nothing else has equally good contrast, even other VA displays are pretty far from it in specs. It is 120Hz and offers black frame insertion for very effective additional blur reduction. No G-Sync though. I don't expect to be upgrading from it until I can pick up a display that also has VA quality black levels, 120Hz or better, but considerably higher res and G-Sync. 2560x1080 displays are already available with those specs but that's not enough for me to upgrade, plus the existing models of those are physically huge so they have unacceptably low PPI for me.

kami_sama

I'm thinking about buying one g-sync monitor. Are there no 1080p 144Hz ips ones?
There's 1440p, but I don't know if my 1070 is enough for the latest games.

Xis

I'm thinking about buying one g-sync monitor. Are there no 1080p 144Hz ips ones?

If you have the money, get the 1440p monitor - you will likely keep the monitor a lot longer than the video card.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Acer's Z71 is as close as you're going to get (VA, not IPS).

XBP

So got my gsync monitor today and the 144hz refresh rate feels amazing more so while gaming. One thing though, how do I check if gsync is working properly or not? Is there like a test I can do or something?

Its enabled and everything in the control panel but I just want to make sure.

e90Mark

So got my gsync monitor today and the 144hz refresh rate feels amazing more so while gaming. One thing though, how do I check if gsync is working properly or not? Is there like a test I can do or something?

Nvidia has a G-Sync demo you can play with.

Otherwise, your monitor's OSD might be able to tell you it's currently in G-Sync mode.

Excuse the terrible photo quality, but chances are you can enable an indicator in your monitor's OSD like so:
gsync_osd_by_realghostvids-dah2wx5.jpg

My monitor (Acer XB270HU) calls this the Refresh Rate Bar and when G-sync is working you will see this bar go up and down as the frame rate fluctuates.

Corpekata

Banned
It'll depend on the model too. The ROG Swift for instance has a LED in the bottom right that is red when Gsync is on, white when off, and IIRC yellow for ULMB.

Your 1070 can handle it. I have a 980ti (so essentially the same as a 1070) and I've never had an issue achieving 1440p/60fps (at minimum) on high - max settings for any game.

d0g_bear

I think I won the panel lottery. I bought a refurb PG297Q on newegg.ca

699 CAD which is 535 USD given our terrible exchange rate.

backlight bleed: none that I can tell
stuck pixels: just one, in the lower left hand corner. I never wound have found it if I didn't go through a series of flat colors on the screen to screen for them. I never see it in normal use.

I'm upgrading from a ten year old 1080p 60hz TN monitor and needless to say... they should have sent a poet.

Sold out now, sorry canucks.

Lol... I'm running a 970 on a 1440p, you will be fine.

Nobody not even pascal Titans run games at a lock of 144fps at 1440p.

Caleb187

Due to budget, I had to choose between tn/gsync or ips/nogsync. I ended up going for ips. I'd love to have gsync but I couldn't justify the extra 300 dollar premium they were putting on it. I've never been satisfied with the colors on my old tn so I wanted the ips. Maybe in the future when gsync premiums go down I can get both.

Bit of a bump. Do you think, even with how good 4K gaming might actually get with the upcoming HBM2 cards, do you think it's worth going for a 4K monitor with 60Hz refresh rate or really go after the 1440p monitors with the much higher 165Hz refresh rate? These all with G-Sync, of course.

SliChillax

Bit of a bump. Do you think, even with how good 4K gaming might actually get with the upcoming HBM2 cards, do you think it's worth going for a 4K monitor with 60Hz refresh rate or really go after the 1440p monitors with the much higher 165Hz refresh rate? These all with G-Sync, of course.
For 27inch, I'd go with 1440p and higher refresh rate.

notBald

I've tried both (4k 28" vs 1440p 27"). The 4K monitor was nice, but at 28inches the resolution bump wasn't all that noticeable over 1440p, while I found gaming at 80+ FPS fantastic.

I picked the 1440p.

riflen

Don't bother with 60 Hz displays in TYoOL 2016. Being shackled to a 60 Hz upper limit just cripples the utility of the display and means you can never enjoy lower persistence even if you're playing something trivial like Rocket League.
2017 will be bringing us 120 Hz 3840x2160 displays, so if you really want that many pixels, you should wait imo.
If you absolutely have to buy now, go for WQHD 144 Hz. 21:9 is also an option, but beware that a lot of games do not support 21:9 nicely. If you put most of your time into a few key games, check their compatibility with 21:9 before you buy.

PFD

I would go for 1440p (either 16:9 or 21:9) with high refresh rate

Possible dumb question re: PG279Q. If I'm going to spend $800, is there anything on the immediate horizon that I would regret this? I know technology is always upgrading. I know Acer announced eye tracking in their refresh but I'm not sure I care for that. The PG279Q and Acer's equivalent have been out a long while. I'm just wondering if something will be announced in a couple of months that I'll end up kicking myself b/c they released a new $800 monitor.

Possible dumb question re: PG279Q. If I'm going to spend $800, is there anything on the immediate horizon that I would regret this? I know technology is always upgrading. I know Acer announced eye tracking in their refresh but I'm not sure I care for that. The PG279Q and Acer's equivalent have been out a long while. I'm just wondering if something will be announced in a couple of months that I'll end up kicking myself b/c they released a new $800 monitor.

HDR and 5K monitors will probably be announced in the next months.

theRizzle

I have an i7-6700k and a 1070 in my system right now... I'm STRONGLY considering the Acer Predator XB271HU but wanted to get some feedback here. Is that the "best" 1440p g-sync monitor out there right now?

I don't care for the aesthetic of the monitor at all but usually I spend most of my time looking at the actual screen so I want something with a nice panel. I don't want to say money is no object but that's about the price range I'm looking for.

Durante

I have an i7-6700k and a 1070 in my system right now... I'm STRONGLY considering the Acer Predator XB271HU but wanted to get some feedback here. Is that the "best" 1440p g-sync monitor out there right now?

I don't care for the aesthetic of the monitor at all but usually I spend most of my time looking at the actual screen so I want something with a nice panel. I don't want to say money is no object but that's about the price range I'm looking for.
Yes, it's the best one currently available.

kdoll08

I just got this Dell 24" gsync monitor yesterday. It's 1440p and my first high refresh monitor. I read up a lot on what people liked but I couldn't justify the higher prices for IPS vs the TN panel in this monitor. It has been amazing so far. I tested it with Bloodstained and Tomb Raider last night and I'm re downloading a bunch of stuff on steam while I am at work to test out tonight. If anyone is interested it's on sale at Dell for $408. Here is the link.

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/cate...009&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn&appliedRefinements=2560

riflen

2017 should be pretty great for PC monitors. We're going to get VA options in the WQHD 144 Hz area as well as UHD 120 Hz, the first 3440x1440 144Hz IPS panels and probably more nutty 240 Hz 1920x1080 TNs.
It depends what you're coming from, but I don't think you'd be disappointed with a PG279Q or Acer Predator XB270HU.

2017 should be pretty great for PC monitors. We're going to get VA options in the WQHD 144 Hz area as well as UHD 120 Hz, the first 3440x1440 144Hz IPS panels and probably more nutty 240 Hz 1920x1080 TNs.
It depends what you're coming from, but I don't think you'd be disappointed with a PG279Q or Acer Predator XB270HU.

I'm coming from 2 1080p Asus tn monitors that have kept me happy for a while but I want something more.

PFD

The wait for new 3440x1440 panels is excruciating (I need VA + GSync, or improved IPS with less bleed)

Compsiox

Banned
I got the Acer Predator XB271HU and I think I feel the input lag.

I went from 2ms monitor to 5ms. Do you think I would really notice or is it my imagination?

Profanity

I got the Acer Predator XB271HU and I think I feel the input lag.

I went from 2ms monitor to 5ms. Do you think I would really notice or is it my imagination?

I mean, you might be incredibly sensitive to it, but I went from a Dell U2312HM which has 0.6ms input lag to an XB271HU and noticed nothing.

Top Bottom