• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016+ Gaming Laptop Thread: Embracing Pascal's Wafer (Please Read OP)

shockdude

My lenovo y510p is pushing like 3 years old and still going strong. No hardware failures other than the keyboard keys being mega faded and it runs almost everything I currently play at 30 or 60 with at least medium settings which is making it hard to bite the bullet on an upgrade but I think I should start looking at some newer laptops.
The y510p was such a great laptop. I still wish I hadn't bricked it last year.

Still settling on the MSI GT73VR with the GTX 1080. The gentech video Ken uploaded gave it a Firestrike score of 15261 (Graphics 21725, Physics 10033) with the single 1080 and the stock clock for the stock clock for the i7 6820HK.

Considering according to the 3d mark website an i7 6700k with a 1080 is around 20k for a Firestrike score it seems like a 35% loss in performance for the laptop version compared to a comparable (taking a guess with the CPU here) desktop? Being new to gaming laptops wasn't the loss in the past 40-60% compared to a desktop?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9ZzxxBbb9E

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
The y510p was such a great laptop. I still wish I hadn't bricked it last year.

Yeah I really love this thing, since I travel a lot for work it's amazing to have a capable gaming PC for down time.

What GPU do you have?

It really depends on what type of games you play. If you stick to indie, strategy, world builders (Terraria, Minecraft, Starbound) you really don't need much to get by.

Now if you want to play the likes of The Division (or any Ubi game), you're going to need a capable piece of hardware.. Games like Deus Ex: MD can run moderately on older hardware, while Gears of War 4 would run terribly.

I could get by until next year. I have a 7970m, PC is not my main platform, and I don't play many FPS or graphically demanding games (outside of say The Witcher 3, which runs around 34-48 fps for me, still better than PS4). I guess, I just want something shiny and new. It has been three years, and my card isn't in the same class of a 980m. . Nothing is wrong with my Sager, other than needing a new battery, and the backslash key next to the space bar needs to be replaced (being held on by tape)

The y510p has a GT 750m which isn't exactly a power house but since the laptops resolution is only 1366x768 it actually allows for a lot more performance out of games that would obliterate the whole thing.

I play a lot of stuff like right now I'm playing elite dangerous on this thing at nearly locked 60 while in space / dogfights and closer to 30 while in very fancy space stations. Obviously it handles starbound and those games flawlessly, but I played through the wticher 3 on low / mid with a few extra tweaks that let me stay near 30 in most situations where frame rate actually mattered lol. It was fine enough to play through 90 hours of the game and enjoy it thoroughly. I typically don't play Ubisoft games so I don't have to worry about their poor ports.

MGSV ran at 60, Life is strange ran at max at about 45 but I locked it to 30, and other than that I mostly play 4X type games like EU4, Stellaris, Anno 1404 and a couple of MMO's so the y510p handles everything I play quite nicely which makes it harder to consider upgrading lol.

It's really just such a wonderful little trooper, I hooked it up to a second monitor too, and the speakers on this thing are also really nice. I think I'll probably hold out for black friday deals and see if any of the 1000 series enabled laptops are ~800, if so I'll probably jump on that.

Purchased the 1080p MSI GS73vr stealth pro, performance is great! Although I think i'm going to sell it on as I'm not too happy with the screen, I took for granted how much nicer a high resolution is for my work...

derFeef

Purchased the 1080p MSI GS73vr stealth pro, performance is great! Although I think i'm going to sell it on as I'm not too happy with the screen, I took for granted how much nicer a high resolution is for my work...

Ohh that was going to be my purchase. What about the screen is bad? Is it just the resolution for desktop applications? How is it in games?

Ohh that was going to be my purchase. What about the screen is bad? Is it just the resolution for desktop applications? How is it in games?

Mainly the resolution for me, there's a certain amount of colour shifting but that doesn't bother me as much as the low pixel count. Performance is really good, played a bit of Doom and WoW maxed out and both ran buttery smooth. Makes a nice change coming from a 970m on my old laptop.

anddo0

Mainly the resolution for me, there's a certain amount of colour shifting but that doesn't bother me as much as the low pixel count. Performance is really good, played a bit of Doom and WoW maxed out and both ran buttery smooth. Makes a nice change coming from a 970m on my old laptop.

Damn. I have this coming on Wednesday.

How are the viewing angles?
Any other negatives?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
An IPS really shouldn't have much in the way of color shifting, except at extreme angles.

Did Geforce Experience offer the update?

Isn't Volta 2018 though?

May be a 2H 2017 release.

Anyone have thoughts on the GT83VR from MSI? I love the keyboard and trackpad, the 18" screen, the fact it has an optical disc drive, and the audio setup on this laptop. Unfortunately it comes with a 1080p screen that only runs at 60Hz, which seems like it would be wasting the either SLI 1070's or SLI 1080's...

Basically, if I'm not hooking this laptop up to any external monitor is it a complete waste? (By the way, I really cannot stress enough how much I love the keyboard/touchpad...)

If that's not a good idea, GT73VR with the 1080 or SLI 1070's?

I had purchased an ASUS GL502VS but have to return it due to a defect and decided I wanted MSI instead.

The GT83 crosses the "just build a damn desktop" line for me, in size but definitely in price. I've never been a proponent of spending more than $2300 on a gaming laptop, due to the speed at which it will lose value, with to the speed at which it will become outdated.

It's better to spend ~$2k once every 2 years, taking advantage of the newest GPUs at time, than it is to spend $3k-4k once.

If I was shopping right now, the $2199 GT73VR with single 1070 would be the best buy.

Seems like I asked my question in the wrong thread.
I have done some cpu benchmarks on my I7 6700HQ on my new msi gt72vr
Now my multi core performance is higher than what I saw in other test from cinebench. But my single core performance is only 104-107 while in tests I saw it should be around 130.. Is this normal?
My multi core performance is 677 while in test I saw it should be 671.

Sorry, no idea.

May come down to whether the CPU is holding its max boost speed through the entire benchmark.

Thinking about waiting for 1050, my budget is really around $1k or less. Do you guys think the 1050 will still be a nice upgrade over a 960M? Like, able to play most games at 1080p on high, and fare decently for at least the next 2-3 years?

Should be around 970M speed, so 2x faster than the 960M.

Are the 1000 series significantly larger than the previous generation, or is there a chance we'll start to get ultrabooks with 1050/1060 soon?
The 1050 replaces the 960M, was the 960M ever in an ultrabook?

Any news if this Dell laptop getting a refresh with the new 1060m?

It'll get the 1050, eventually, but the card hasn't even been announced for desktops yet.

Still settling on the MSI GT73VR with the GTX 1080. The gentech video Ken uploaded gave it a Firestrike score of 15261 (Graphics 21725, Physics 10033) with the single 1080 and the stock clock for the stock clock for the i7 6820HK.

Considering according to the 3d mark website an i7 6700k with a 1080 is around 20k for a Firestrike score it seems like a 35% loss in performance for the laptop version compared to a comparable (taking a guess with the CPU here) desktop? Being new to gaming laptops wasn't the loss in the past 40-60% compared to a desktop?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9ZzxxBbb9E

What matters is that the GPU score is nearly identical. You'll have to OC the HK over 4Ghz to match the overall score.

Color shifting is actually way worse f or me personally, if it's really bad. I don't hope the 120hz screens are bad.

In that case I'd recommend against the 1080p 120hz model (thats the one I own). I'm not entirely sure if it's TN but it feels like it. Colour shifting, which luckily I don't find too annoying, is pretty meh. There isn't an angle you can view the screen where at least part of the screen doesn't becom washed out. Viewing angles are very...TN.

Other than this issue it seems fine, fans aren't crazy loud, although I game with headphones anyway.

This is of course just based on the one I received, I might be unlucky. But I'd recommend waiting for reviews before purchase.

K.Jack

In that case I'd recommend against the 1080p 120hz model (thats the one I own). I'm not entirely sure if it's TN but it feels like it. Colour shifting, which luckily I don't find too annoying, is pretty meh. There isn't an angle you can view the screen where at least part of the screen doesn't becom washed out. Viewing angles are very...TN.

Other than this issue it seems fine, fans aren't crazy loud, although I game with headphones anyway.

This is of course just based on the one I received, I might be unlucky. But I'd recommend waiting for reviews before purchase.

Can you look in device manager, and give me the screens Hardware ID?

anddo0

Can someone explain these panels to me?

I was all set on getting a Sager with G-sync and calling it a day. But then I heard about the 120hz panels and backed out.. Now I'm hearing they're no good?

derFeef

Can someone explain these panels to me?

I was all set on getting a Sager with G-sync and calling it a day. But then I heard about the 120hz panels and backed out.. Now I'm hearing they're no good?

AHVA is an IPS-like techniqe. Faster but not as good with colors and viewing angle than an IPS. Certainly better than a TN though, but I guess there are qualiy differences here as well.

DoctorManhattan

Neo Member
Guys these look badass.

http://www.aorus.com/Product/Type/L/List

Pros:
- no lights and glowing logos everywhere proclaiming you're an EXXXXTREME GAMER
- aluminum chassis
- CPU overclocking enabled

Cons:
- I never heard of Aorus, are they a good brand?

I have the x3 plus v5 and its a very well built laptop. Its the premium brand of gigabyte so the machine is solid. the screen on the x3 is the same one from the razer blade and looks great.

K.Jack

Buying today, I'd still take the 120Hz panel. AVHA still kicks the crap out of TN.

I might be buying one for my current GT72, if anyone will sell it at a decent price.

Are thermal compound ($35) and copper cooling ($59) worth it?

Thermal compound is worth it, if you don't want to do it yourself.

Copper cooling is a fucking scam. Buy a pack of them on eBay for $5, and stick them on yourself.

anddo0

So it turns out the GS73VR isn't G-sync afterall?
He asks about the GS43vr, but maybe he meant the GS73; it is asked on the product page

Question: The IPS screen on the gs43vr does not support g-sync, correct? Will its displayport in the back support g-sync if i connect it to a g-sync monitor?

Answer: This screen is not G-sync enabled, but the system can output to a G-sync display and is VR ready.
By XOTIC PC on August 23, 2016 SELLER

https://www.amazon.com/ask/question..._hza?isAnswered=true#question-Tx1LXWPS0Y45ED1

anddo0

Quite certain it was told on first day that only 17 inch screens will have Gsync. Am I wrong?

I've read it several times. But, maybe the wording is wrong.. Wouldn't be surprised if it outputs to G-sync monitors.

Anyway, I'm out. I'm going with ny gut, and it's telling me Sager. I just got off the phone with a sales rep and I'm looking at 12-18 days (at or around September 8th) before my laptop actually reaches me. I went with my original order the NP8173-S. It's not super thin, doesn't have T3, or 120 hz. But, it's what I want. Also for $100 I get the 1070 as opposed to the 1060, not a bad trade off for losing t3 and 120 hz.

Final specs

- 6th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-6820HK Processor ( 8MB Smart Cache, 2.70GHz) [+$125.00]
- 17.3" Full HD IPS Matte Display with G-SYNC Technology (1920 x 1080) Back Order! (ETA: 08/30/2016)
- Guaranteed no dead or partially-lit pixels for first 30 days of purchasing
- Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 GPU with 8GB GDDR5 Video Memory
- IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU
- Windows® 10 Home 64-Bit Edition Preinstalled
- 16GB Dual Channel DDR4 SDRAM at 2400MHz - 2 X 8GB
- 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 SSD - as an OS Drive (Primary Drive C) [+$20.00]
- 1TB 7200rpm SATA2 Hard Drive
- Killer™ Dual Band Wireless-AC 1535 M.2 AC Wireless LAN + Bluetooth Module [+$15.00]

I've backtracked more than a politician. But, I've finally arrived at something I feel comfortable.with.. Now to refuse delivery on the MSI GS73vr tomorrow, it was a barebones order from Amazon. So no worries.

Put poiI've settled in the GT73VR with the intent to replace it in three years. Still don't know if it's worth it for the extra $600 for the NVMe raid 0 config. Got a chance to stop by NYC on a work trip and see a display dominator that was around the same size. Seems doable. The 4k versions on that screen don't seem worth it.

I hope I'm not making a big mistake.

Has anyone else bought a new MSI lately?

I received this weird thingamajig in the box, in a separate bubble wrap bag, that looks like a computer component and I can't find anywhere on the paperwork what it' supposed to be.

Manoko

Why are 1060 laptops priced as high as the 1070 ones ?

I mean, do we have to wait for GTX 1050 launch to get a laptop with a pascal GPU priced around ~1200-1400€ ?

Ok gents, picking up the gs63vr 001 today from best buy, how easy/hard is it to upgrade ram/ssd?

Previous iterations of the MSI Ghost line required removing the battery and flipping the motherboard to replace the SSN at least.

Think the ram was on the outfacing side of the motherboard though

K.Jack

I received this weird thingamajig in the box, in a separate bubble wrap bag, that looks like a computer component and I can't find anywhere on the paperwork what it' supposed to be.

Huh. Take a picture so we can see about identifying it.

I mean, do we have to wait for GTX 1050 launch to get a laptop with a pascal GPU priced around ~1200-1400€ ?

1060 laptops are priced the same as their 970M equipped predecessors.

9fYFSP4.jpg

phinious

Just set up my GS63VR from Bestbuy. This thing is Hot! Running 64 degrees C just downloading league of legends... Wtf my house is 70 deg F

K.Jack

I'm on the case sir. Will have an answer asap.

Just set up my GS63VR from Bestbuy. This thing is Hot! Running 64 degrees C just downloading league of legends... Wtf my house is 70 deg F

That isn't at all even remotely hot..

Returned my ASUS GL502VS, getting an MSI GT73VR with the GTX1080 in it as a replacement.

The ASUS screen had a large amount of backlight bleed and the power brick couldn't keep the battery charged under heavy gaming load. Hoping the MSI is better!

I'm on the case sir. Will have an answer asap.

That isn't at all even remotely hot..

I genuinely have no clue what it is lmao. Not listed in the components in the pc list. It was just here. Looks like something you put inside of the laptop.

Top Bottom