• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlas Reactor |OT| Multiplayer XCOM + Overwatch

a0o5uof.jpg

Official Page
Steam
Teaser Trailer
Accolades Trailer
How to Play

GhtbZH3.gif

ATLAS REACTOR NOW SPORTS A LOL-STYLE FREE VERSION WITH CHARACTER ROTATION - NO EXCUSES NOT TO TRY

Atlas Reactor is a new kind of PvP battle arena that fuses simultaneous turns with tactical team combat. Quick, timed turns challenge players to quickly read a constantly changing battlefield, master and customize their heroes of choice, and coordinate with teammates to take down enemies.

Challenging, Competitive Pvp
Compete in 4v4 deathmatches against enemy teams or vs Bots. With the range of character abilities and combos possible, no two matches are ever the same.
Dynamic, customizable Characters
Battle as any one of an ever-growing number of Freelancers: futuristic heroes with huge personalities and five unique abilities that can be customized to your playstyle.
Reap Seasonal Rewards
Experience the story of Atlas through “Seasons,” a multi-week story arc with challenges that reward regular gameplay with bonus loot!
A Leap into the Future
Step into the cloud-piercing megacity of Atlas, where Freelancers fight for (and against) monolithic Trusts to control the last Reactor on the planet.

Haven't seen this mentioned much around here, but find the game a real coup for those wanting a fast and tactical WEGO game. Hard sell in the hero glut, but can't beat turn-based goodness.

Full disclosure, that pithy clickbait subtitle was mine, but it's largely true.

shoot01.gif

THANK YOU! I was trying to remember the name of this game! <3
Game looks very interesting, discovered it thanks to steam summer sale queue but for some reason I forgot to put on watch list.

Yeah, great game. Some really great mechanics to mess about with. The phase system is very well conceived.

You blokes may as well try it. Free for a while yet.

This is a neat little game! I've never really dabbled in turn based games like this, but I like the cut of this game's jib.

I think I'll stick to playing with bots before I actually play with other players. Tactical turn based isn't my forte.

RedToad64

Am I dumb if the thread title looks like a mess to me? I can't make out what is trying to be said here.

Edit: Oh, it's missing spaces and apparently TBS means "team based shooter." I guess I am dumb.

Am I dumb if the thread title looks like a mess to me? I can't make out what is trying to be said here.

Edit: Oh, it's missing spaces and apparently TBS means "team based shooter." I guess I am dumb.

Written hastily on a coffee break, will get a mod to add spaces. And 'turn-based strategy'.

Luq

This game was under my radar for a long time, will try it out for sure. This 75% Steam reviews don't look amazing though...

I'm liking this game. I'll give it a buy once the free period ends.

I'm gravitating towards Frontline heroes and Support heroes. I really like Rask, the beastman. I dig his brutal moves and his swank spanish(I think?) accent. I'm going to mess around with Titus, Aurora and Dr. Gill soon.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Gotta warn you all: You have to install some third party BS called Glyph which is an account based service for matchmaking. More bloat for ya!

Gotta warn you all: You have to install some third party BS called Glyph which is an account based service for matchmaking. More bloat for ya!

Isn't it Trion's launcher/update software? I figured it was like any game that has a non-Steam client as well. MWO, etc.

EDIT: Gave Blackburn a good ol' session and found him a great mid-range character. That dash-blast combo skill of his...magic stuff.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Isn't it Trion's launcher/update software? I figured it was like any game that has a non-Steam client as well. MWO, etc.

EDIT: Gave Blackburn a good ol' session and found him a great mid-range character. That dash-blast combo skill of his...magic stuff.

Yeah my bad - the name threw me off.

DO2veJZ.jpg

Blackburn...just might have edged out Elle? I dunno. He's pretty awesome. Been switching back and forth between bots and PvP just getting a feel for the bloke, and goddamn. He's great.

shaowebb

This thing is pretty neat. Like the card game Infinity Wars its got simultaneous turns meaning both of you choose your actions then once both players are done and it goes to the resolution phase everything plays out and you see who outmaneuvered who.

It reminds me of Xcom stuff really. Trick em into dodging a shot by lining up someone near them so that they land on a trap someone else places, box folks in by luring them after someone who you will be dumping support on...just neat things here.

Hope this game evolves and grows. It has a lot of potential.

Big ol' fashioned update post....

Free Mode Announced

hTZ7ope.jpg

When we announced our buy-to-play business model for Atlas Reactor, we promised there would always be ways to check out the game out for free. Since then we’ve been working hard to deliver on that promise.

We want the game to be as accessible as it can be to as many people as possible, and we want it to be generous to its supporters. As a competitive game, the play needs to be 100% fair for everyone.

After a lot of planning and work, we’re happy to announce the upcoming delivery of Free Mode in Atlas Reactor.

HERE’S HOW FREE MODE WORKS

You can play the game for free, using Freelancers from the weekly free rotation. This rotation is unique per player. As you play you’ll earn reward caches, in which hundreds of cosmetic banners, icons, emotes, titles, skins, styles, taunts, and more can be found. There will be a limit on how frequently Free Mode players can open a cache.

One simple purchase unlocks all the Freelancers for all time, removes the cache-opening limitation, enables custom and ranked games, and allows entry in future tournaments. This is the B2P part of the model, and is the core of how you can support Atlas Reactor and its team!

Free Mode (in progress)

K619THR.jpg

WHAT’S NEXT?

Free Mode goes live August 9, and will be available on Steam. We’ll see you there!
We want to thank you all for the terrific feedback you’ve offered us in Beta. The launch of Free Mode accompanies Revised Player Progression, which will make obtaining rewards even clearer and more fun than it is today.

Revised Player Progression

I27BtxB.jpg

As it stands, there are a lot of different rewards in Atlas Reactor, attached to a lot of different progression systems. Account, freelancer, and season levels, daily contracts and chapter content, crafting, the Trust War — there’s a lot to earn!

After a ton of games and mountain of feedback from you, a couple of things have become clear: First, all that complexity makes things difficult to understand in a way that doesn’t add fun. Second, Atlas Reactor is a B2P game, but having such a comprehensive store of cosmetic goods doesn’t make it feel that way.

So thanks to your feedback and suggestions, we are making some exciting improvements to player progression in Atlas Reactor.

THE STORE SECTION WILL BE REMOVED

The items currently in the store will now be obtainable through gameplay! The Store section of the UI will be replaced with the Collection, where you can track progress across your account and freelancers. Credits will also be going away (more on that below).

The Collection

hTj8L6J.jpg

LEVELS AND LOOT

We received a lot of feedback that the way we were giving out loot in Atlas Reactor still felt “free to play.” We hear you! As a result, the following changes are intended to make progression feel more rewarding and more fun to interact with.

We’re simplifying Loot Matrices in a big way.

There will be one primary Loot Matrix, which you receive each time you gain a season level. A Loot Matrix now contains 3 items, which can be anything currently in the game (except promotional items.), including the premium skins that used to be in the store!

Any time you’d like more Loot Matrices than you earn naturally, you can buy them directly.

Inside the Loot Matrix

RzOqxJd.jpg

You can use ISO to unlock items in the Collection directly. As of this coming patch, ISO will be obtainable only from Loot Matrices. Duplicate items received from a Loot Matrix will automatically convert to ISO. Playing matches and completing contracts will award experience now, which will allow you to earn Loot Matrices faster.

Freelancer Levels are now infinite, and the rewards have been changed. Every time you earn a Freelancer level you will receive a mod token. At levels 5, 10, and every 10 levels thereafter, you will be given a Freelancer-specific Loot Matrix, which will drop an item associated with that Freelancer. In effect, it’s a targeted version of the primary Loot Matrix.

Expert and Master style pre-requisites still exist on some of the skins you can receive from a Loot Matrix. You can equip expert skins after achieving Freelancer Level 10, and Master Skins at Freelancer Level 20.

We are removing crafting and the inventory. Items will be collected/recycled automatically. Crafting was fun, but added a significant amount of unnecessary complexity at this point in the game’s development.

Account Levels have been removed. Players will now have immediate access to the Season. Some of you might have concerns about onboarding, and this will be addressed in future patches.

PREPARING FOR PROGRESSION

Spend your ISO and crafting materials ASAP. Once Revised Progression goes live, all crafting materials and banked ISO will be lost, but anything bought or crafted already won’t be.

We’re removing credits from the game. If you currently have credits, they will be honored and converted into the new ISO at an equivalent rate so that you can still unlock what you want directly. This is also what will happen after the final wipe before launch, when credits would be reset (+10% from the Level 1 Community Reward).

Once the Revised Player Progression goes live, the bonus from the Level 1 Community Reward will behave differently – after the final wipe, players will receive a number of Loot Matrices equal to the number they purchased, +10% (rounded up).

IT’S YOUR MOVE!

Now you can play the game, and earn skins, taunts, emojis, vfx, and more just by playing! And hey, if there’s something you really want and luck doesn’t drop it in your lap, you can use your ISO to unlock it directly.

Revised Player Progression goes live on August 9, and will accompany the introduction of Free Mode.

Refreshingly honest stuff by the devs, really happy with the way feedback is being handled. Keep it up.

I've been playing the hell out of this game ever since the free event. I've clocked close to 80 hours on it. With the game going free to play, I do hope more people give this a go; it's a really fun turn based strategy game.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
simultaneous turn based games for life.

edit: they need an osx client

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
Without being one of *those* guys, an iPad version might do wonders, too. Concise enough.

man, that's a good point. Xcom works really well on the phone, so if they adjusted the confirmation and times for ipad, this could be rad. I mean, if Vainglory is popular...

Free Mode is Live

FreemodeCity_blog.jpg

Permanent access. Limited features. A whole lot of fun!

We previously announced that we were finally introducing the long awaited Free Mode to the players of Atlas Reactor. We’re excited to announce that it’s here!

Is it a demo? Is it a trial? Is it a “Free 2 Play” game now? All good questions, and this is why we wanted to give you the information again – this time with some key points that show you just how unique and generous Free Mode is. We’ve provided you with an easy to read matrix of what you get from Free Mode and what you get from the purchasing the Full Game.

A few more specifics to be aware of:
– Free Mode participants can only open one Loot Matrix every 36 hours.
– Free Mode participants will have their own randomized set of 6 Freelancers to use that changes every week.
– Free Mode players and Game owners will all play in the same queues, with the exception of R
ranked matches.

The best part of Free Mode is that you can get access to every single cosmetic item just by playing! If you purchase the game you will be able to purchase loot matrices on top of the ones you earn per season level, which will accelerate your collection of all the cosmetics.

We want to thank you all for the terrific feedback you’ve offered us in Beta. The launch of Free Mode accompanies the Revised Player Progression, which will make obtaining rewards even clearer and more fun than it is today.

– The Atlas Reactor Team

Pretty good split, I reckon.

agc

How is the community for this game? Always been interested in it some but always self-conscious in how I play in multiplayer games.

is the free mode up on steam? will probably try it out

Yep, check out the Steam page to see both the Free version and other tiers.

How is the community for this game? Always been interested in it some but always self-conscious in how I play in multiplayer games.

Can always find a game, and the community is pretty nice! Everyone is pretty helpful, and will answer any questions.

You can also have matches against bots, too. I generally like to end the day with a bit of a bot beat-down. AI is pretty devious, though. :D

AKC12

Think I first heard of this game from a Twitch ad. Put it in my list of games to get. Will definitely try it out now that it's free to start.

Installed this after reading about it on Penny Arcade, and now I'm hooked. There's a really interesting tactical layer of trying to read the other team and anticipate their move. One thing I hope they iron out in beta is better clarity on what's going on as each turn resolves. I imagine as a veteran you eventually recognize every move, but as you're trying to learn, it's a little hard to follow what each player is doing. It's not getting in the way of my enjoyment though; matches are a lot quicker than MOBAs, and much less frustrating.

Installed this after reading about it on Penny Arcade, and now I'm hooked. There's a really interesting tactical layer of trying to read the other team and anticipate their move. One thing I hope they iron out in beta is better clarity on what's going on as each turn resolves. I imagine as a veteran you eventually recognize every move, but as you're trying to learn, it's a little hard to follow what each player is doing. It's not getting in the way of my enjoyment though; matches are a lot quicker than MOBAs, and much less frustrating.

Yeah, good to see PA giving it a bit of a boost.

For those not in the know...

So, I filmed an upcoming episode of my ELI5 show about a game called Atlas Reactor, a game I didn&#8217;t understand entirely, which made it a great candidate for explaining as though I were a child. I played through a game and a half or so with them on the show, and then I&#8217;ve played at least one game and probably more every day since.

Full article HERE

New Freelancer inbound! Guessing a new Support?

llHWfAR.jpg

Quote thus far: "I see everything!"

Unveiled! Orion. Not sure which class, but cool.

XWF2Uvp.jpg

Orion will bear your burden&#8230; and grow stronger for it!

Basic Gameplay

Orion is very unique support. He doesn&#8217;t naturally gain energy based on using his abilities, though they can be modded to do so. He&#8217;s got a passive similar to Rask where he gains energy every time he takes damage. For every 20 energy he holds, he gains 1 shard. These shards empower his other abilities but are only consumed when he uses his ult or dies (He&#8217;ll maintain 25% of his energy when he dies, which is 1 shard!).

Orion&#8217;s primary, Empyreal Ruin, is great for raining down some AoE damage that ignores cover, and the area grows larger the more shards you&#8217;ve gained. His Fate Transfer uses his own life to protect an ally by taking 75% of the damage they would take. Luckily it also provides a shard empowered shield to protect his own life and is a solid way for him to gain energy. Orion can place a Quantum Core on an ally that explodes when they take damage. It&#8217;s a free action ability that has versatile mods. Astral Infusion heals himself or an ally over 2 turns and is increasingly effective with more shards. Orion&#8217;s ultimate is unusual because he actually loves holding at 100 energy as it makes most of his abilities stronger! But if you&#8217;re going to die you&#8217;ll lose 75% of your energy anyway, so you might as well drop the Cosmic Flare, healing yourself and damaging enemies in a large radius. Sure, you&#8217;ll consume your energy, but if you live, you get another chance to build it back up again to protect your team and rain down some destruction in the process.

stats.jpg

Orion&#8217;s ability to take damage for his allies is dramatically reduced if he&#8217;s got less health. Often times he&#8217;ll have to heal himself instead of an ally to be able to continue doing his job, so positioning in cover and not being focused is a very important goal. You&#8217;ll find your best chance to get rid of him if you can force him to decide between protecting himself or his ally. If you&#8217;re up against an Orion, be sure to protect and even steal those Energize buffs. Giving him energy really just does make him stronger.

Abilities

Empyreal Ruin - Rains down a blast of empyrean energy in an area that grows with more shards.

Fate Transfer - Redirect most of the damage dealt to an ally and mitigate it by shielding yourself.

Quantum Core - Focus pure energy around an ally that erupts when dealt damage.

Astral Fusion - Regenerate the health of an ally for 2 turns, sharing the first turn, or heal yourself for both turns.

Cosmic Flare - Consume 5 shards to unleash a large area blast against enemies that also heals himself.

Advanced Tactics

When playing as Orion:

Generating energy is incredibly important to achieving peak power levels.
Make sure to use Fate Transfer on an ally you are sure will be hit, especially when you are at low energy levels.
Astral Fusion is most effective when used on allies as it will heal you as well, but it can be used for self-survivability at the cost of efficiency.
Choose battles wisely &#8212; playing too conservatively will leave you weak but too aggressively can lead to an early grave.
If you need power above all else consider walking through hazards to generate energy.
Cosmic Flare is a powerful ability but when used consumes your shards. Good Orion players ride the line between staying at maximum power and detonating their ultimate at the right moment.

Coming up against Orion:

When you think Orion will use his Fate Transfer available try to guess his most likely target and then attack someone else or him directly.
Area of effect abilities are potentially a good counter to Fate Transfer. He will take the damage of two targets if you hit both him and his Fate Transfer recipient.
Focus on Orion when he is at max energy &#8212; he can&#8217;t get any stronger and killing him causes him to lose most of his energy. If he is forced to use Cosmic Flare all of his other abilities become weaker.
Ignore him as much as possible while he is at low energy so he stays that way. Orion generates almost all of his energy when hit by abilities. Sometimes you may want to avoid hitting him with an area of effect skill so he doesn&#8217;t become stronger.

floating_01.jpg

Top Bottom