• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, I saw a dog get murdered today and could do nothing to stop it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your a good person OP.
There is a reason the plot of John Wick is him getting revenge for his dog, they are truly mans best friend in this world.

Weetrick

Hey OP - I wanted to share a nice story that happened to me today. I was doing yardwork in my backyard, standing where I could see over the fence and into the street behind my house. I saw a little brown dachshund running along, with no owner in sight. I live in the suburbs, but there's a fairly busy street about a block away, exactly where he was heading. I put down my stuff and yelled to my wife, who ran out the front door and went after him.

We managed to grab him before he ran into the street. He had a collar, but the phone number didn't work. As we looked for his owner, we passed by another couple walking their dog, who recognized the lost dog's name. After a phone call, we had an address.

As we approached this dog's home, we saw the owner outside, finally realizing his dog was missing. He was so casual about it and didn't seem grateful at all. Not even a thanks. Oh well.

I'm just glad I could help this dog before he ran into the busy street. As soon as I saw him, I thought of this thread and made sure my wife and I tried everything to get him home safe. Thanks again OP.

Zukkoyaki

You did everything right in that moment, OP. Dogs are special, I often feel like they're too perfect for such an imperfect species as humans.

To help brighten the thread a bit, I'd like to share my pooch. Not the best quality picture but this is my dog, Lucy. She has the BEST dopey faces and is such a little loveable, lazy oaf.

12494849_10207977887019014_6714739684950665309_n.jpg

You did good OP. RIP little doggy. Sorry you had to go through that. I cant even fathom how someone could do that on purpose.

karasu

You're a good guy,OP. I'm glad the truck driver escaped you just so you didn't unintentionally ruin your life or anything.

I'm still kind of in shock. I've lost pets before, but never saw an animal get killed by a malicious act. A bit of backstory:

My brother and I were driving on the feeder of the highway, and we saw a gorgeous little brown dachshund trotting on the side of the road. There was a pickup truck between us and the dog, and we were trying to pull over to get her so she didn't get hit. After about five or six seconds of following the dog, just watching it, the truck just swerved and ran her over, very obviously on purpose.

I wish I had thought to get the fucker's plates, but it looked like the tire just barely bumped the dog. It went down but seemed okay at first, so my brother and I immediately stopped the car and rushed out to see if it was okay. The dog was panting and her bottom legs were clearly limp, but she seemed responsive, so we checked for a tag [none, unfortunately] and tried to find the closest vet. While I was calling the vet to let them know we were coming and my brother was trying to find a way to safely pick up the dog, we noticed her lower half was -really- twisted. The hit had completely broken her back, with her lower legs pretty much facing the opposite way of the front legs.

Within about a minute of the dog getting hit, it was pretty obvious she wasn't going to survive. She started foaming at the mouth and laid down, and her heart started beating really fast, then slowed to a stop in about a span of ten seconds. Realizing she was gonna be gone before we even could get her into the car, we just stroked her and tried to make sure she knew she wasn't alone until she stopped breathing.

Around that time I pretty much lost it. The truck had stopped briefly maybe 200-300 yards ahead, too far to make out their tags but close enough to recognize. I started running after them but they bolted, and I spent a couple minutes pretty much screaming and threatening them at the top of my lungs. Honestly I went a bit berserk at that point. Kicked, threw some stuff, just -- wished I could catch them, make them pay for it. It was pure rage at that point, the kind I haven't felt in years. I should probably be glad they left, otherwise I'd probably be in jail right now.

Once it passed, we tried to find a number for the local SPCA but we were still parked on a feeder road and had a couple close calls almost getting hit ourselves. We went to the closest houses on a nearby street trying to see if the dog belonged to any of them, but none of them said she sounded familiar.

Went back and sat down beside her for a few minutes. I'm an atheist, but -- I prayed for her, for some reason. It just seemed like all I could do. I told her she was beautiful and wonderful and that I hoped she was somewhere better, and that I'd do everything I could to make my dog as happy as possible for her. Finally left once traffic started picking up again and we got her somewhere she wouldn't get hit. I didn't even know what town we were in, let alone the street, so it was a bit difficult to figure out the right thing to do when no one could ID the dog.

From the moment the dog got hit to the time she passed, I had a sinking feeling and shock I haven't felt before. I've lost pets, some to natural causes, some to accidents. But I've never watched an innocent creature die, and it struck me a lot. Truth be told, I'm not sure why I'm even making this thread beyond the fact that I just think people need to know this dog existed, that she was a gorgeous little animal who I hope lived a good life and wasn't in any pain.

I have a lot of regrets about what happened. I wish I'd had the presence of mind to take a picture of their truck, I wish I'd managed to get their plate, I wish I'd known who to call immediately for the dog's sake. But I was just in shock like I haven't really ever been before, and all I could think to do once I realized she wasn't going to make it was try to be there for her.

Please be kind to animals, whether or not they're your pets.

You did a good thing. What's more, although you profess to be an atheist, some part of you deep inside must sense that there's more out there. I'm not going to go all bible thumper on you, because I have my own issues with organized religion. But think on that, and on what it means in the grand scheme of things for that poor pup's life ended so brutally by some sociopath. There might be a reason you witnessed what you did today.

I wish I was home so I could hug my puppy right now.

Edit: Saw your subsequent reply confirming your belief in atheism, despite the prayer. Well, I'll leave my original comment. Incidents like this can sometimes act like dominos falling, leading us to reexamine our faith or lack thereof. Maybe this is just the first domino, maybe not, and I promise you no judgment here. Either way, you did a good thing.

you did the right thing. i can't imagine seeing that. just reading it makes me wish i had a dog so i could hug it right now.

Op I can understand your care and feelings and I completely agree that what the people did is a very stupid and childish thing and we shouldn't be hurting anyone or anything at all

The only thing I disagree with though is death isn't the bad thing we see it as. It happens and its done. I'd like to think that as people we are able to understand upon it being over its not bad for us and we don't have any knowledge or bad feelings of it

On the flipside I know it's hard to see death and pain in the real. It's something I can't handle and try to avoid it the best I can. I do too also have an over caring feeling in those situations and one reason why I try to understand the truth in why isn't so bad

Would be nice if you had thier plate but don't get so caught up into it. I assume they thought it was your dog and we're afraid of you. But no don't hurt them... Or think of that. We just need them to understand that it was wrong and some time in help courses for thier non care of hurting animals

I think you did more than most would, I'd trust you with my life if you extend that feeling tomorrow. Sorry you had to see it happen. I know you were angry cause you were just about to help him.

commedieu

Banned
Eh. If it's worth it to you, you could probably find this person via small business Security cameras. Tell them what happened maybe have a vet report.. something. And report them to the aspca, or just Internet shame.

Did you pass a string of businesses on your way to the freeway?

You'd recognize the truck.

What a piece of shit. I brake to avoid hitting a squirrel, so it's hard to imagine actively wanting to hit a dog. You did what you could, OP, but sometimes assholes are assholes.

Hey OP - I wanted to share a nice story that happened to me today. I was doing yardwork in my backyard, standing where I could see over the fence and into the street behind my house. I saw a little brown dachshund running along, with no owner in sight. I live in the suburbs, but there's a fairly busy street about a block away, exactly where he was heading. I put down my stuff and yelled to my wife, who ran out the front door and went after him.

We managed to grab him before he ran into the street. He had a collar, but the phone number didn't work. As we looked for his owner, we passed by another couple walking their dog, who recognized the lost dog's name. After a phone call, we had an address.

As we approached this dog's home, we saw the owner outside, finally realizing his dog was missing. He was so casual about it and didn't seem grateful at all. Not even a thanks. Oh well.

I'm just glad I could help this dog before he ran into the busy street. As soon as I saw him, I thought of this thread and made sure my wife and I tried everything to get him home safe. Thanks again OP.

I'm really glad you were able to get that dog home safe. Thank you for sharing that, it made me feel a bit better about today.

Thanks to you guys posting puppers. I love seeing your dogs, I hope they have wonderful lives with you.

@Lifeexpectancy: I get where you're coming from, but I've thought a lot on my faith - or lack thereof - and I'm comfortable with it. I completely respect religious people and their beliefs, but I think for myself, I need to believe there's nothing after this. This might sound odd, but the idea that the universe is chaotic and unfeeling comforts me. I'm happier thinking there's nothing beyond this, because the alternatives tend to anger me. I don't like the concept of a greater purpose behind life, and it's not something that appeals to me.

That doesn't mean I don't -wish- things were different than my beliefs, though. It's complicated, I guess.

JackDT

Did the truck stop because they had hit the dog, or because there was a stoplight or something?

If they actually tried to stop because they hit the dog I would assume it was actually an accident but then they freaked out. If they had done it deliberately why stop at all?

You still did your best, all you can ask for.

styl3s

I remember seeing an article someplace where someone put a fake critter (like a squirrel or something) on a road, and the guy was stunned at the number of people would deliberately steer their car to run it over. That's the sort of thing I have a hard time wrapping my brain around, and I always come back to it whenever I hear somebody talk about people being fundamentally good.

Here it is: http://gizmodo.com/5927083/roadkill...ercent-of-drivers-are-sadistic-animal-killers
Not to mention the sick fucks that fuck with dog parks and put razor blades and nails and shit in food and antifreeze. I wont sit here and go to the extreme and say that the people should be murdered but how about some hammer down harsh fucking punishments.

Killing animals seems like a thing that can and does lead to harming humans.

Zelias

Banned
You did good, OP. I'm sorry you had to see that, and I hope those murdering fuckers get what is coming to them. Reading your story made my blood boil, ut at least there's good people like you in the world.

correojon

You did the best you could OP, don´t beat yourself over it. I teared up reading your post, can´t imagine what it must´ve been like being there :(

You asked for pics of our dogs, hope these cheer you up a bit...behold Cora and her collection of hats!!!

Not to mention the sick fucks that fuck with dog parks and put razor blades and nails and shit in food and antifreeze. I wont sit here and go to the extreme and say that the people should be murdered but how about some hammer down harsh fucking punishments.

Killing animals seems like a thing that can and does lead to harming humans.

Nah I'm more than comfortable saying the people that do those things should die.

God damnit, being a dog owner myself just makes stuff like this hurt even more. You lose a part of yourself when you watch one pass on. The people that do things like this must be dead on the inside, there's no other explanation

Wazzy

Banned
You're an amazing person for stopping and helping the dog out. I can't even imagine how I would have reacted seeing some sick fuck kill a dog. I'm really sorry you had to experience that. Just reading what happened made me upset. :(

God damnit, being a dog owner myself just makes stuff like this hurt even more. You lose a part of yourself when you watch one pass on. The people that do things like this must be dead on the inside, there's no other explanation

Yeah, part of why it hit me so hard I think is because I have a very hyper, rambunctious dog myself, and I know that slipping even once in controlling him could result in an accident. He's super-curious, incredibly energetic, and strong as hell for his size [30 lbs, but seen him pull my brother's 140 lb girlfriend off her feet on his leash]. If he got out just once and decided to bolt, it'd be difficult to catch him, and who knows what would happen? So I worry and try to take very careful care.

Thanks for the kind words, Wazzy and others. As for why the truck stopped, no idea. They stopped briefly about 50-70 yards ahead, kept going, stopped again at around 300 yards away, then sped off when I went after them. I'm still confident they hit the dog on purpose; they trailed it for a good 10 seconds just watching it before swerving to hit it. It was a two-lane road and the dog was trotting alongside the curb. It was a severe swerve, over half the width of the lane, to hit the pup.

typist

Fuck that guy. There are too many people like him in this world. Just a suggestion OP, maybe get a dash cam for your car so if something like this ever happens again then you will have the license plate. People like that belong in jail. Sorry you had to witness something so evil

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Yeah, part of why it hit me so hard I think is because I have a very hyper, rambunctious dog myself, and I know that slipping even once in controlling him could result in an accident. He's super-curious, incredibly energetic, and strong as hell for his size [30 lbs, but seen him pull my brother's 140 lb girlfriend off her feet on his leash]. If he got out just once and decided to bolt, it'd be difficult to catch him, and who knows what would happen? So I worry and try to take very careful care.

Thanks for the kind words, Wazzy and others. As for why the truck stopped, no idea. They stopped briefly about 50-70 yards ahead, kept going, stopped again at around 300 yards away, then sped off when I went after them. I'm still confident they hit the dog on purpose; they trailed it for a good 10 seconds just watching it before swerving to hit it. It was a two-lane road and the dog was trotting alongside the curb. It was a severe swerve, over half the width of the lane, to hit the pup.

God, that is horrific. I just cannot fathom how someone could do that. :(

You did good, OP. I'm sure it was painful, but you did your best to comfort a dying animal in its final moments.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
This happened to us in Spain a few years ago. Doggy on the road and a car purposely swerved to hit it. It died before we could get it to the vets. Absolute cunts.

suzu

I hope those shitheads get what's coming to them. Poor pup :(((

Some people have this intense crazy hatred for cats, so I don't risk letting mine outdoors.

correojon

This happened to us in Spain a few years ago. Doggy on the road and a car purposely swerved to hit it. It died before we could get it to the vets. Absolute cunts.

Every summer in Spain we have the same problem: many people abandon their pets to go on vacation. Also hunters get rid of their dogs once the hunting season is over. I can´t understand how someone can do that to a dog, a living being who is brimming with happiness whenever you come back home even if you just left 10 minutes ago to make a quick errand. Souless bastards.

Yesterday a guy who had come on vacation from a nearby city lost his dog. It was hit by a car but seemingly was fine. The dog got so scared that it ran away. The owner did everything in his hand to get it back, just few moments after the incident everyone had heard about it via social media and a few hours later half the city had photos of the doggy in every wall. Later at night I saw on FB that he´d got it back and it seems it was alright, so it was a happy ending :)
Still, why the hell do you walk your dog without a leash in a city that you (or it) don´t know? Hope the guy learned a lesson and surely he´ll take much better care of his dog from now on.

ZombAid82

This made me tear up. Good on you for doing what you could. I only hope that truck blew up when it was safely away from you. I am sure that is hard to deal with. Go love your dog and appreciate it. Damn i hate people sometimes but for every asshole there is a kind person like you.

Poor pup

I had tears in my eyes while reading this story. Truly heartbreaking.
You did awesome OP.

Unfortunately the bolded isn't true or our world would be much more balanced!

Thank you and your brother OP.
Truly decent human beings. Much love to you guys for what you did.

As for the truck driver......Lets hope that evil motherfucker gets his comeuppance soon.

nkarafo

I don't understand why certain types of people commit acts of cruelty such as this. There's no reward for such behavior, there's just no reason whatsoever for it.
It's a combination of lack of empathy and having a boner watching other's die or suffer.

It's pure evil. These people would kill you and torture you for fun if laws didn't exist. But because it's too risky to do it to humans, they do it to animals, it's still illegal but much easier to get away with.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Every summer in Spain we have the same problem: many people abandon their pets to go on vacation. Also hunters get rid of their dogs once the hunting season is over. I can´t understand how someone can do that to a dog, a living being who is brimming with happiness whenever you come back home even if you just left 10 minutes ago to make a quick errand. Souless bastards.

Yesterday a guy who had come on vacation from a nearby city lost his dog. It was hit by a car but seemingly was fine. The dog got so scared that it ran away. The owner did everything in his hand to get it back, just few moments after the incident everyone had heard about it via social media and a few hours later half the city had photos of the doggy in every wall. Later at night I saw on FB that he´d got it back and it seems it was alright, so it was a happy ending :)
Still, why the hell do you walk your dog without a leash in a city that you (or it) don´t know? Hope the guy learned a lesson and surely he´ll take much better care of his dog from now on.

We're abouts in Spain are you? I live in the rural area of Almeria. We've had friends whos dogs were shot and poisoned. Also quite known that they hang dogs from the trees with a bucket underneath and once tired from standing on the back legs they give in a and choke. :|

correojon

We're abouts in Spain are you? I live in the rural area of Almeria. We've had friends whos dogs were shot and poisoned. Also quite known that they hang dogs from the trees with a bucket underneath and once tired from standing on the back legs they give in a and choke. :|

That´s horrible :S I´m in Pamplona, the city is pretty safe though you occasionaly hear stories that someone has found meat with nails in a dog park. I once found an old lady pouring something in the park next to my house, like a strange white dust. I confronted her and she went away, haven´t seen her again. But really, I think most problems here come from people who own dangerous dogs and take them out without a leash.

Yrael

As for why the truck stopped, no idea. They stopped briefly about 50-70 yards ahead, kept going, stopped again at around 300 yards away, then sped off when I went after them. I'm still confident they hit the dog on purpose; they trailed it for a good 10 seconds just watching it before swerving to hit it. It was a two-lane road and the dog was trotting alongside the curb. It was a severe swerve, over half the width of the lane, to hit the pup.

Wow. What a fucking psychopath.

You and your brother are good people for doing all that you could.

You did good OP, comforting the poor animal in its final moments.

Absolutely disgusting. I know in my area, I've heard from people that they definitely try to kill snakes intentionally, with the reasoning being that they are trying to protect innocent people, children, etc. Some even willingly admit that they will go out of their way to hit cats.

Humans are pathetic creatures.

There was a big black snake in the parking lot of an apartment I lived at many years ago. I knew it ran the risk of getting run over or something so I grabbed a box and went out to grab it (black snakes are not poisonous) and take it down to a nearby creek. When I got back outside there was a small group of young teens beating it with their skateboards. I was fucking livid. I asked them wtf they thought they were doing.

"Uh, it's a snake" was their only answer. I stood there fucking tearing them a new one yelling.

We truly are monsters to the planet.

I hope I'll never experience something like this. This is one of the few things that is able to put me in a mode where I want to hurt that person really bad.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Some people have shit where your heart is supposed to be. It never ceases to amaze me the new and crazy ways people can be the worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom