• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"No rare pokemon should be allowed in school" french Minister of Education said.

nded

Makes broad commanding statement that a policy should be put in place.
Clearly has no idea about what they're talking about.

Yup, it's politics.
Another dumb politician who desperately wants a little public attention.
Where are these posts coming from?

Sure, we should focus on Pokémon GO and forget the several problems we have to deal with.

This. Country.
Just because bigger problems exist doesn't mean smaller ones can't be dealt with.

Now I remember that Kalos=PokeFrance...
Connection?
I was thinking more Team Flare Admin...minus the hair...
VSTeam_Flare_Admin_F.png

EmiPrime

Where are these posts coming from?

Angry ignorance although to be fair the OP is leaving out a lot of details. She was asked a question about it, she said they were going to talk to Niantic about not putting rare Pokemon in schools, everyone in the room including her had a little laugh about it and then it was onto another topic.

It's not unreasonable to want to avoid having hordes of 20 somethings intruding into school playgrounds to catch an Articuno.

JC Lately

Do Pokemon even spawn in schools? I was at my kids open house the otherday with Go running silent in my pocket trying to hatch eggs and never felt it buzz once.

She looks exactly like Marcy from Married with Children in that OP photo... weird.

But yeah, it's definitely a reasonable request to make but who knows how hard it is to implement. I don't know if Niantic/Google have a record of the exact locations of every school in any country, let alone all of France.

robochimp

The hospital system that I work at had all spawns removed from their properties. Went from being able to catch a nice amount of Pokemon everyday and then one day it went to nothing showing up in the nearby box.

All they have to do is contact Niantic and they'll block out the school grounds from spawning any Pokemon.

WOW! I saw this last night and I thought it said "No Pokemon should be allowed in school."

Her specifying no "RARE" pokemon makes this infinitely more funny.

Never heard of that. I and my friends were crazy about Pokémon after Blue/Red came out, my school didn't talk about a ban or anything else.

Pokemon (and videogames in general) was hard banned at my elementary school as it was seen as a major distraction even during free time. At my junior high, in a different district, you could get in pretty big trouble for playing the card game. Rumor was that a lot of cards were being stolen, especially from the kids who brought those super rare Charizards in.

Or you know, she doesn't want a ton of grown-up, strangers trespassing on school properties full of children to score rare pokemon? Not to mention, it also being a huge distraction from what the kids should be doing during school hours. Clearly you don't know what you're talking about.

Yup, it's GAF and politics.

Except she's right...

Not really. Wtf is she even talking about "rare Pokemon should not be allowed". It's a compeltely misunderstanding of how the game even works. It's all procedurally generated. She has no idea what's she's talking about.

Real talk: if the Pokemon thing really is a distraction, why are they letting cell phones in the classroom in the first place? And if they aren't, why is Pokemon GO an issue then?

And I mean, you know trespassing laws do exist right? It really isn't an app's fault people are going where they clearly shouldn't be.

This all seems kneejerk and inconsequential, honestly.
I'm kinda baffled people are on her side.

Mael

Not really. Wtf is she even talking about "rare Pokemon should not be allowed". It's a compeltely misunderstanding of how the game even works. It's all procedurally generated. She has no idea what's she's talking about.

Real talk: if the Pokemon thing really is a distraction, why are they letting cell phones in the classroom in the first place? And if they aren't, why is Pokemon GO an issue then?

And I mean, you know trespassing laws do exist right? It really isn't an app's fault people are going where they clearly shouldn't be.

It makes sense if they want to avoid crowds gathering in front of schools. Which are already under strict surveillance because of the terror counter-measures (no car, police presence etc). Maybe it will be pointless in a few months, but it's worth anticipating, having a discussion with Niantic doesn't cost much.
As for kids, I do hope any usage of smartphone is forbidden at school anyway, except maybe for recess.

Don't they use google maps data stop pokemon spawns in certain areas? I don't see why they wouldn't be able to do that for schools.

Gorillaz

can't believe were talking about pokemon issues in school

in 2016

like, holy shit who would have thought the IP might have a 2nd wind even if it's not at the level it was in the 90s

Joni

I don't see how that is her problem, it is on Niantic to solve it.

Prevention over criminalization is a thing.

Top Bottom