• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Jeff Minter is working on VR games.

AmyS

Imagine a modern take on Attack of the Mutant Camels in VR.

circa 1989 - canceled KONIX Multisystem version of Mutant Camels and the KMS Simulator Chair.

mSUACsu.jpg

pc0TfmW.jpg

If TxK was essentially completed anyway, couldn't they work out a licensing agreement with Atari? Surely however much Atari wanted would still be better than not releasing the game at all, right?

stuminus3

*sigh* against my own advice I'm gonna talk about TxK...

If TxK was essentially completed anyway, couldn't they work out a licensing agreement with Atari? Surely however much Atari wanted would still be better than not releasing the game at all, right?
He tried to.

This is actually how it went:

Jeff made a game. His fans (all 5 of us) liked it.

Fred thought he could make some money from the fruits of Jeff's labour.

Jeff's game didn't actually make any money.

Fred lost all interest and scurried off back to his hole behind the couch like a good little cockroach.

You may notice that the Vita version of TxK is actually still available on PSN with no mention of Atari and no sign of it ever being removed. You may notice that Jeff never actually handed over any of his code, even though scab Atari insisted that he really, really had to (before realising there was no money in it for them).

It was never about Tempest. Scab Atari are literally a team of ambulance chasing lawyers that call themselves a game publisher. They absolutely do not give a shit about their IP, just what they can suck from it. And that breaks this old man's heart.

Jeff's game didn't actually make any money.

He said it made 1000x more than his IOS games.

However the latter need a lot more support time because Apple loves breaking things with OS updates.

And making 'more money' doesn't mean it's even providing the equivalent of a livable wage.

It makes me sad that in this world Flappy Bird makes millions and great indie games perish.

You may notice that the Vita version of TxK is actually still available on PSN with no mention of Atari and no sign of it ever being removed. You may notice that Jeff never actually handed over any of his code, even though scab Atari insisted that he really, really had to (before realising there was no money in it for them).

Source code? What a piece of shit Fake Atari has become.

I bought TxK the day it released at full price to ensure that Minter got the most revenue from the sale possible.

Gestault

After being a looong time fan of his takes on Tempest, Space Giraffe made me think maybe I didn't like Minter's current visual style. It felt messy and arbitrary. I....hope this is cool?

stuminus3

He said it made 1000x more than his IOS games..
That's not saying much unfortunately, considering his iOS games made practically nothing. Which is a real shame because I loved the "Minotaur Project" series. Gridrunner is so good. He was so excited about the potential of mobile at the time, too.

Top Bottom