• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Szadek

Heartcatch Precure! - Ep. 4
This episode has Dual Transformation and yuri shipping!
Compleltly coincidentally this was also the best episode so far.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Honestly? It's a terrible way to enjoy the show. They've even dimmed all the attacks because oh no seizures think of the children.It's just no good.
I mean, they butcher the series and removed a lot of good episodes.
I enjoyed watching it, but only because I watched Smile Precure first.

Gundam X 16-19

Newtype Dolphin? Insta best! Seriously though, these were good episodes for Tiffa development and seeing her talk so much was nice. Making radars out of living dolphins brain is pretty sick and disgusting. Underwater Leopard Gundam is pretty cool looking.

Afterwards we get a few episodes to develop Jamil(the badass) has a character, with a singing Maiden. It was well done and I was kind of happy to see the Frost brother fail. 20 G-bits seems kind of OP.

Still really liking this.

Smile Precure - 43

Oh my goodness this was a fantastic episode, even if the way it ended is a bit disappointing to me.

So here we have Reika being chosen to study abroad in England, which is a super major thing that everyone's proud of. But the main dilemma of the episode is that she leaves in a month and will be gone for a year, putting her duties as a Precure on the line.

With Joker the only one left, he of course takes great advantage of this and proves once again how much of a fantastic villain he is. Dude basically congratulates Reika on her success and tells her how happy he is that she won't be around the other girls anymore to stop him.

CrI2BbBUEAAqT4T.jpg:large
CrI2HfAUsAAxZzW.jpg:large
CrI2r9kVYAAMwdh.jpg:large

That last shot feels like something out of Eva.

He literally takes her lifelong dream, and turns it into a nightmare. Not with some crazy scheme, not with moronic evil henchmen, but with his words. His false congratulatory words tear right into her soul and you can see her falling apart with everything he says.

This is followed up with her friends all coming in and having a good cry about the whole thing, to which Reika just stands up and says "Listen bud, I can do whatever I want!" and does a freaking one on one duel with him and OH MY GOODNESS THIS FIGHT SCENE WAS JUST SPECTACULAR.

I think this is also the first time this show gave an insert song that wasn't the OP to one of the characters. This is probably one of the most hype scenes in the entire show.

But then, this happens.

As fantastic as this episode was, I kinda feel a bit disappointed by this part. I expected Reika to come up with some kind of compromise, rather than just going one way or the other. I thought they were hinting towards that with the way Reika's grandfather told her about there being many different indirect paths and all that. So that kinda waters down what would otherwise have been a flawless episode for me. But don't get me wrong, it was still great.

I even got a Mazinger Z Breast Fire reference.

Man, the guys who make Precure are all big super robot nerds, aren't they?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So I'm nearing the end of DS9 and one of the final episodes has them wearing headsets to go into a bad guy's mind to fight him:

PcUmT4nl.jpg

The first thing I thought was that Julian Bashir is just another Kirito. And then I remembered that like Kirito, Bashir is basically the perfect human with super human reflxes and extreme intellect.

Everything is SAO. Everything is anime. lol

Witchcraft Works 2

This is the kind of Mizushima comedy that appeals to me. A constant stream of delightful absurdity and lighthearted violence. There's some elements of the writing that remind me of Mayoiga, such as when Takamiya gets Kuraishi's name confused with Crazy or Crisis, similar to Mayoiga's Jack/Judgeness debate, but this has more energy to it off the bat. There's a lot of great sight gags stuffed into the scenes, such as the faces Kagari's fire makes, Takamiya trying to eat a frozen ice cream sundae, and some tactical espionage cardboard box action. The visuals aren't completely polished, particularly in the digital photography and some of the CG integration, but they're colorful and whimsical enough to create the proper tone. Hopefully this will keep up.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Code Geass ep.1

Lol, political drama, student gets caught in the middle meets girl. Yup, I've seen this before... wait, WTF? Lololol. This is gonna be fun isn't it? Btw, the character designs are weird.
CLAMP gonna CLAMP
your neck and and arms.
^clamp up, ⬇️ Clamp down.
<clamp to the windows, >to the walls.

Witchcraft Works 2

This is the kind of Mizushima comedy that appeals to me. A constant stream of delightful absurdity and lighthearted violence. There's some elements of the writing that remind me of Mayoiga, such as when Takamiya gets Kuraishi's name confused with Crazy or Crisis, similar to Mayoiga's Jack/Judgeness debate, but this has more energy to it off the bat. There's a lot of great sight gags stuffed into the scenes, such as the faces Kagari's fire makes, Takamiya trying to eat a frozen ice cream sundae, and some tactical espionage cardboard box action. The visuals aren't completely polished, particularly in the digital photography and some of the CG integration, but they're colorful and whimsical enough to create the proper tone. Hopefully this will keep up.

I always thought that show looked pretty nice, very pleasant on the eyes. Enjoyable ending too. Fair warning tho, don't expect any type of story. If Witch Craft Works has a story, the anime never got to it.

91 Days-7

Oh lord, Avilio is enjoying the hell out of this. Dude is just savoring the tears so damn much.

The scene where Avilio told Nero he would introduce him to his brother made me lose my shit.

There's taking revenge, and then there's taking revenge with an extra side of dickery.

Line_HTX

Code Geass ep.1

Lol, political drama, student gets caught in the middle meets girl. Yup, I've seen this before... wait, WTF? Lololol. This is gonna be fun isn't it? Btw, the character designs are weird.

Welcome to the CLAMP and Sunrise train ride. Hope you enjoy your stay, heh heh heh...

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
I've been putting it off forever now, so I thought it might ve a good time to dig in. Hopefully, it doesn't get boring or annoying in between the "crazy" stuff.
Do you hate anime misunderstanding but like Godzilla?
Then this show is for you.
Warning: Does not comtain any godzilla.

Sterok

Smile Precure - 43

Oh my goodness this was a fantastic episode, even if the way it ended is a bit disappointing to me.

To this day I don't know why Reika got far and away the best showcase for herself for the final focus episodes. She fought the strongest villain by herself, got the insert song and top budget, and actually won her battle. That's the sort of thing the main protagonist is supposed to get, not one of the four secondaries who isn't supposed to particularly stand out more than the others.

I always thought that show looked pretty nice, very pleasant on the eyes. Enjoyable ending too. Fair warning tho, don't expect any type of story. If Witch Craft Works has a story, the anime never got to it.
Don't worry the manga hasn't gotten to the point either. That being said, I loved witchcraft works, it's probably the anime that got me to keep subscribing to Crunchyroll.

I've been putting it off forever now, so I thought it might ve a good time to dig in. Hopefully, it doesn't get boring or annoying in between the "crazy" stuff.

Hahahahaha. Oh my goodness I've waited for this.

To this day I don't know why Reika got far and away the best showcase for herself for the final focus episodes. She fought the strongest villain by herself, got the insert song and top budget, and actually won her battle. That's the sort of thing the main protagonist is supposed to get, not one of the four secondaries who isn't supposed to particularly stand out more than the others.

I know right? I mean...

Smile Precure - 44

Miyuki's backstory was good and all, but oh man this episode was only half as good as Reika's. Miyuki, the main character who started it all, had to be saved in this episode while Reika didn't. Feels so weird how the last episode was such a break from the formula only for this episode starring the main character to go right back to that formula, haha.

Mob Psycho 100 Episode 8

Studio Bones, continuously raising the bar i&#822;f&#822; &#822;w&#822;e&#822; &#822;d&#822;o&#822;n&#822;'&#822;t&#822; &#822;c&#822;o&#822;u&#822;n&#822;t&#822; &#822;t&#822;h&#822;e&#822; &#822;b&#822;a&#822;d&#822; &#822;s&#822;e&#822;q&#822;u&#822;e&#822;l&#822;s&#822;.&#822;

Tamako Market 11-12

Well, that's over. What a big nothing. Even in final episodes, And Yet the Town Moves does a way better job with a thematically similar scenario involving a girl and a shopping market. There were some moments, but overall this is probably my least favorite KyoAni show I've watched to completion. (OK, that's not true, Air is still worse.) At any rate, I hope Tamako Love Story is worth it.

Jarmel

Banned
Kuromukuro-19
Poor Sebastian, thrown out like the trash. Anyway what the hell.
They do know that ancestors don't have the exact same DNA structure as their descendants right? If so, then what the hell. Is there some weird alien impregnation scheme at work? I'm totally at a loss here.

Smile Precure - 45

CrJbBbtUkAAklL5.jpg:large

Reshiram V.S. Zekrom

It's honestly kinda nice to see three main villains finally getting some light shone upon their backstory. As last-minute redemption scenes go, this isn't that bad. These guys have for the most part been portrayed moreso as confused goofs who went down the wrong path rather than pure maliciously evil like Joker.

Undertale must've softened me up for stuff like this.

Gundam X 20-24

Man those Frost brothers are a pair of ass. Arrogant to a perfect point.

Two big big players died, one was deserved, but the other made me quite sad since I was liking the old man.

Tiffa growing in the good direction, liking how she gradually seem to open up.

Also updated OP! AND Double X ACTIVATED!

NeonZ

Smile Precure - 44

Miyuki's backstory was good and all, but oh man this episode was only half as good as Reika's. Miyuki, the main character who started it all, had to be saved in this episode while Reika didn't. Feels so weird how the last episode was such a break from the formula only for this episode starring the main character to go right back to that formula, haha.

The Smile PreCure movie is pretty much a really expanded remake of that episode. It's kind of annoying since it makes Miyuki a much bigger deal there than she ever was in the show which generally balanced the main cast fairly well. Still, it's mostly enjoyable.

Sterok

Smile Precure - 45

It's honestly kinda nice to see three main villains finally getting some light shone upon their backstory. As last-minute redemption scenes go, this isn't that bad. These guys have for the most part been portrayed moreso as confused goofs who went down the wrong path rather than pure maliciously evil like Joker.

Undertale must've softened me up for stuff like this.

Would've been better if it wasn't brought up at the last minute. A consequence of Smile having no story I suppose.

The Smile PreCure movie is pretty much a really expanded remake of that episode.

I'm still amazed Miyuki managed to become Cinderella twice. That takes talent.

Line_HTX

Macross Delta 21

umGlWAK.png

New recruit with no auditions? That sounded like a backroom deal, haha

VHdGTXo.png

At long last, we finally know the mystery surrounding our Queen, though at first I was reluctant because this is the 3rd flashback episode and I wasn't sure if it was going to have any payoff. It didn't help that episode 15's flashback was kind of shit. They at least show how Walkure came to be and how it turned into this current unit of members before Freyja.

I had a sneaking suspicion that our Queen was
almost otherworldly human, for how was it that she generated enough power to destroy that ruins by herself, and it looks like the "password" she uttered is the same as Roid when he went to the echo chamber and unlocked the Star Singer insignia. Damn, her brain is way more sharper than the average human's, eh? Haha

Damn, Mikumo is like Dizzy from Guilty Gear, huh... :|

Cornbread78

Code Geass ep.2
So let me get this straight, his buddy is brought back from near death, jumps into a brand new expiremental mech with no mech experience at all and operates it like a complete boss and tears up everything in his path... hmmmm.. usually it's just the MC or the antagonist that's granted that kind of asspull power, lol. That ending though, now that was an interesting twist. All in the family bro.

CLAMP has a great artstyle! Don't you dare shit on it!!

String beans are well like vegetables, lol.

The Smile PreCure movie is pretty much a really expanded remake of that episode. It's kind of annoying since it makes Miyuki a much bigger deal there than she ever was in the show which generally balanced the main cast fairly well. Still, it's mostly enjoyable.

Oh really? I guess it gives more info on who that girl was in Miyuki's episode then.

Would've been better if it wasn't brought up at the last minute. A consequence of Smile having no story I suppose.

True, but this is the kind of leeway you have to expect when it comes to MOTW kids shows like this. Not every one of these shows is gonna be like Majin Bone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom