• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Mafia |OT| Gotta Catch Em’ Scum!

Sawneeks

Banned
Hmm... call this a gut observation

But for those of you who have played with Sawneeks before, does she seem more... aggressive?

It's bothering me, and I can't put my finger on it.

I mean, I'll admit I feel like I'm pushing a little harder than I typically do to get more reactions out of people. I just really don't want a repeat of PiR Town and to make those same mistakes I did then and if it means I have to forcefully poke and prod people to get them forward then I'll do it.

Sophia

His avatar still makes me uneasy. He and Blargonaut are like an old married couple. I'm still keeping my vote on him for now.

Interestingly you're both leading the post count and votes. I've never played a game with together with you so your activity is surprising. Are you worried you might get voted out today? My read is the others aren't quite sure what to make of you.

I don't see it. May just be a conscious decision to change her play style?

What I'm interested in seeing is how you respond when you're under pressure.

VOTE: Sophia

Me being high in the post count isn't unusual, especially this late at night. The vote count is rather interesting, however. :p

And yeah, that's why I called it a gut observation. I'm still town reading her, but I do like to keep an eye on the little details.

Some other random musings

* Never seen a game where D1 ended with a "no lynch". No idea why nin1000 would even bring that up. Reason is "we almost never learn something from D1 lynch".

* Hyperactivity not living up to his name. Good for me since I'm not keeping up.

* Didn't notice the Ty-Sophia-Darryl connection, might have to re-read it again.

SalvaPot

img-thing

It's good to be excited

gets the blood pumping

Makes for good gameplay

you know, that kind of thing

If one of you gameplaying fucks is that singing Jigglypuff, I will find you, drop your mic and write you off permanently, I will end you

What if the Pokemon world is in the Metroid universe, and it's kept safe as a utopian planet by the Federation

could Metroids be Pokemon?

is the Morph Ball a product of militarized Pokeball research?

what does Samus eat?

These are the questions we should be asking

I'm pretty sure someone else brought it up but to be safe

Gorlak why did you vote for Roy? You didn't mention him in your longer post, so what was it that happened after that made you change from the Fireblend vote you had? Was it something in this post, or did you notice something else? (Or was it a Germans vs Roy vote?)

What if the Pokemon world is in the Metroid universe, and it's kept safe as a utopian planet by the Federation

could Metroids be Pokemon?

is the Morph Ball a product of militarized Pokeball research?

what does Samus eat?

These are the questions we should be asking

You're blowing my mind here Blarg.

You know what Nintendo should make?

Metroid Battle Network

a Metroid RPG in the style of Mega Man Battle Network; engrossing story (preferably with a rebooted Samus Aran of a new, parallel universe like MMBN was to Mega Man), grid-based battle system, ability-collecting in the form of a Battlechip-alike and endless replayability in the form of a robust NG+ region, online dueling and 'chip'-trading

for the 3DS and NX

Nintendo, pls

gods above, it would print so much money

The sequel potential alone, simply iterative and repetitive, no major new features truly required between instalments, just make more collectable 'chips' like Pokemon does it

prime for mild micro-transaction implementation for cosmetics, rarities and the like

someone pay me

roytheone

Pretty busy with work so my activity will be a bit lower.

Roy, my friend, buddy, pal.

This feels safe as hell.

Lot's of comments about what happened and some light opinion here and there but nothing concrete. Afraid to put your foot down? I see that, later, you went in on the whole Topo and LP thing and finally started discussing but I want your opinions. Who stands out to you? What do you think of the Fluff Squad who keep making drivebys? Why is Litten superior to Rowlet in every way?

That post was made just over 12 hours after the game started, and the thread at that point was mostly fluff with the only concrete things being the ty4on-sophia, darryl-ty4on interaction, Nin asking for a no-lynch and Verilios proposing the rng idea. More then half of the players hadn't even contributed anything game related yet. So there was nothing concrete in that post since I felt nothing happened in the thread yet that really warranted putting my foot down.

Right now, the players jumping out at me are Nin100, Blarg, dusk soldier and to a lesser degree ty4on.

Dusk soldier is really reactionary. He had that one remark about Darryl only being able to focus on a single player, and the other two of his game relevant posts was defending that from verilios. In my experience, even a scum hiding in low activity is very rarely completely MIA from day 1, and at the very least posts a couple of one-off remarks to prevent being the least active player. Dusk fits that.

Nin argued a bit for a no-lynch, and that is pretty much everything he did, with maybe the exception of him repeatedly reacting to sophia calling him out by saying he will deliver reads/opinions, but not actually delivering. Fire said he thought Nin had some weird reads, but I couldn't really find any reads at all from nin.

Blarg I originally had as Blarg just being crazy old Blarg, but now that I had some time to think back at earlier Blarg games, in those he had a bunch of crazy nonsense posts, but he also posted things of value. Yeah, even those posts were written in a crazy way (reads symbolized by pizza's for example), but they were there. For now, I can't find any post of blarg in this game that has some hidden meaning, with the possible exception of the box post (but even there I don't really see it).

Ty4on seemed to be more asking people about their opinions of players instead of giving his own opinions, with the exception of his opinion about Darryl and especially sophia. He did started to give more opinions about other players though, without being specifically prodded to do that, which has lessened my scum read of him. I do want to ask him why he still thinks Sophia is the scummiest. Ty4on, is that still mostly based on her "attack" on Nin and plan to stay alive at the start of the day, or where there other posts of her that strengend your scum read of her?

Since the day is already halfway done, I will put my vote on

vote: nin1000

at least until he gives us something more then just the no lynch thing.

Gorlak

Banned
The conversation between roy, nin and el topo looked oh so innocent. I got a similar vibe from some discussion Kyan, Dragonz and ttk had in Bar Mafia (all scum). Seemingly shitposting, not drawing attention, having fun of the sorts.
I wanted to bring attention to the nonsense they were talking and see if and how nin/el topo would react to a vote they just talked about it. Obviously they got cold feet and stopped the talk immediatly. Do with that whatever you will, I think it's something to keep in mind.

I wonder why one intentionally unexplained vote by me got more attention by a number of players than Salva's statement of his unwillingness to play the game though. As far as I can tell he openly refuses to help us.

Vote: Salvapot

I wonder why one intentionally unexplained vote by me got more attention by a number of players than Salva's statement of his unwillingness to play the game though. As far as I can tell he openly refuses to help us.

Vote: Salvapot

Because that would be an incredible bold Scum play?

Gorlak

Banned
Because that would be an incredible bold Scum play?

So we will just ignore it? Because scum can't possibly be bold?

What's the best that can happen here? Salva being an unhelpful town player, who'll be deadweight the whole game. Worst case? He's scum, not getting attention because he's bold, thus coasting to endgame.

So we will just ignore it? Because scum can't possibly be bold?

What's the best that can happen here? Salva being an unhelpful town player, who'll be deadweight the whole game. Worst case? He's scum, not getting attention because he's bold, thus coasting to endgame.

I totally agree that Salva is deadweight. And purposefully voting out deadweight on D1 is a valid path to take. As a backup option if we don't have a solid Scum candidate at the end of the day. Until then I'd prefer to dig around a bit more. You won't get anything from Salva right now.
I will look like an idiot if he turns out to be Scum, won't I?

Anyway, other question: What was the purpose of your "intentionally unexplained vote" then other than baiting reactions?

The post is right there, just half an hour ago I explained myself. Bringing attention to the situation, waiting for reactions.

And then you complain when you get even more reactions from people you didn't even want to bait? Sounds like success to me.

You also still didn't tell me if you see the triangle people as scummy or just remarkable in a neutral way.

Gorlak

Banned
And then you complain when you get even more reactions from people you didn't even want to bait? Sounds like success to me.

I got reactions from people who completely missed the context. It's not that hard to see that I voted roy after topo and nin brought up that possibility and roy going for the fluff "I am cry" argument.

You also still didn't tell me if you see the triangle people as scummy or just remarkable in a neutral way.

Darryl, Sophia, Ty4on? The conversation was interesting, can be useful later. But I don't see anything alignment indicative here (yet). Just one thing to take away is that Darryl chose Ty over Soph, because Ty looked like scum trying to find posts to him.

Ty4on

Re: Ty

Didn't end up having as many questions as I thought I did. My only one so far would be in regards to this:

I know you currently read Sophia > Darryl and I'm curious as to why. You've stated over and over that you can't see Town!Darryl making the posts he has and yet you place Sophia above ( or below??? your list was weird and upside-down ) on your Scum list.

Frankly I agree, although mine are based mostly on a gut feeling for Sophia. I'm just trying to get your train of thought in regards as to why it's Sophia > Darryl. Examples would be wonderful as well.
It's more that there's more doubt with Darryl. I don't have any specific examples of why Sophia is scummier or Darryl is townier to me. The doubt is from Darryl's actions not making terribly much sense from a scum either and his posts being weirdly articulated.

Sophia scum read is still mostly from the initial interaction. She read as someone trying to act townie in front of me rather than someone trying to read me.

nin1000

Banned
Nin argued a bit for a no-lynch, and that is pretty much everything he did, with maybe the exception of him repeatedly reacting to sophia calling him out by saying he will deliver reads/opinions, but not actually delivering. Fire said he thought Nin had some weird reads, but I couldn't really find any reads at all from nin.

Sorry for not posting those reads. Here they are the first 2 players though. Started from the bottom of the player list and will work my way through them.

roytheone [m]

Starting off by posting pokemon pictures and engaging El topo by talking about past games. Went to sleep, woke up and reacted to Daryll pressuring people and the Sophia-ty4on interaction. went on and responded to Sophia who was reacting to splinter who said " Christina Mackenzie looks scummy to me". Went on to react to a LP vote. Which made sense since El topo chose him for coasting while other players like you described , such as blarg, where doing the same. Went on to defend LP, because in your eyes El Topos reason which was : "it had nothing on value in it " was not justified.
Went to sleep again and made a big post reacting to what happened with in the end putting a vote on me. Probably a prodding one since you know i can do better.

Nothing off putting in my eyes for now. Its the usual reacting player. But funny that he calls me out for not doing enough :3

Neutral feelings about this guy

2. Sophia [f]

Calls me out after 20 minutes into the day start for posting too much filler crap
"Bunch of silly filler post, and that "Nin 2.0" crap" and votes for me. Tries to see how i react. follows with a filler post about "pokemon Badges. Asks other players about their feelings towards a No lynch and explains in the same post how pokemon "works.
Explains that she wants to make full use of Day1 by what i think is calling everyone out.
Wants to stay alive, not get lynched and other town members to help her out.
Gets voted on by Ty4on. She reacts by saying that Ty4on wants to get rid of her in order to NK someone else. Ty4on asks if she is scum reading him and she responds that Ty4on is a null read for her. Wants to pressure him hard just to see if she can figure it out. ( never happens ). Wants to know why i am "against" a no lynch even though i made myself clear that i would like there to be a no lynch but if it comes down to it i would place a vote. Talks down on me and tells me to go back and read Mini Mafia.
Is baffled that i dont share her opinion. Finally accepts it and wants to look at the people who are being fluff-ish. Melonrabbit claims that Sophia was defending Ty4on. She wants Mr to show her the reciepts. Repeats that she is still Null-reading him ( still wating for that hard pressure ). Says that she is not "feeling" Darryl either. Calls out Stanleypalmtree and Bronx-Man for coasting. Wants to hear some thoughts from them.
reacts to kawl being replaced by *splinter. gets a vote from Fireblend and thinks that it is an attempt to make a connection where there is none. Gets voted by *splinter aswell and wants to have a dance with him. Both of them talk over how scum CM would play.
Chimes into the El-Topo LP argument over what is active and what is not. Argues that while LP has not nearly as muchj posts as EL-Topo in her eyes he is contributing. Calls El-Topo out and asks him if "he has anything actually meaningful to say?" Argument goes on with El-Topo and her. She cant or does not want to understand that in El-Topos book LP had "nothing of value" in his posts. He then claims that she was defengin El-Topo to where she says "Since when did I say I trusted him?" Following post is a large one but small in content. She is annoyed that there is"a whole lot of absurdity, fluff, and silliness even for Day 1" and "Some of you are playing like dog crap. " reacts very emotional over SalvaPot, who is refusing to read anything in regards to D1, and me preferring to have a no lynch on D1. Brings up a post of mine and from Bronx man where both of us reacted in a similar way. Prod votes Bronx-Man. Sawneeks calls out Roy for playing safe as hell, racting and light opinions. But she argues that "he's had a few posts here where he's been asking questions and stuff." Again calls me out for only stating my opinion for a no-Lynch ( thought she wanted to move on lol). Still waiting for that hard pressure. Ty4on asks her why she is focusing so much on me. Claims that it is her "current" train of thought and that i was the first to reply. Fireblend then comments on how he thought that sophia would react to his vote on her. She says that she treats votees like comcast treats FCC fine violoations.

Gives me the same feeling *splinter gave me last game where he was posting a lot and trying to be a town leader. I dont feel her at all.

Scum feelings about that girl

Since the day is already halfway done, I will put my vote on

vote: nin1000

at least until he gives us something more then just the no lynch thing.

How about you take my fist ?
200_s.gif

nin1000

Banned
Dusk Soldier [m]

After his initial #Teamshift fluff post ( number 55 ) he comes back at post number 255 saying that he is "not sure what to think of this game so far." He says that "We need to get some legitimate reads going so I would like everyone to post a picture of their favourite pokemon." He then reacts to *splinter /T4yon/Darryl, where splinter thinks that Daryll is ignoring him." I think he can only focus on one player at a time. Are you sure you want that?" Verelios calls him out for chiming into that "discussion" says that it was somewhat weird to him that he comes out of nowhere just to say the above. Dusk responds with

"I feel like you're trying to divert attention away from the fact that Sawneeks put a vote on you by throwing shade at me and hoping someone bites.
That's how I feel about your question." Verelios wants his question answered and Dusks responds that he was on at that time.
And that is all from him. Nothing at all. No read list or thoughts on those who responded to him asking if we could post pokemon pictures.
THAT is a whole lot of nothing and that is something worth caling out.

Neutral feelings about this guy.

Onto the next one.

nin1000

Banned
4. Blargonaut [m]

Came in commenting that he will blaze it. went to sleep after it and woke up and made a funny response to kawl who stated that he "dislike(s) honing in on particular groups of people so early." followed by a vote on StanleyPalmtree. Reacts to salva speculating about how the pokemon trainer work by saying "Interesting". Gorlak votes Salva and Blarg responds to that by saying that he is bored and wants to have a conversation. Asks me what my favourite pokemon is and creates an avatar for me. mocks Ty4on for using funny words such as "agenda-y and el topo for him saying that he has more posts than LP-Kiddo.
Tries to mock Roy and El topo. dissapears just to come back and call out sophia who called him coaster. "Dear Sophia, I'm just waitingSigned, Blargonaut" wants to have a conversation with her. Gets asked by sawkneeds why he voted stan. He responds with a poem. Mocks Salva in the same Post. Tells sawneeks that it she will get townie points if she lists the merits of why reading interactions between two people is important.
Responds to sophia who is saying that it bothers her how sawneeks is playing "...more...agressive"by telling her that it is "practically pokemon go go power raging".
Tries to engage other players to discuss the Setup with Pokemons and Pokemon Trainers. Talks about a game idea that would make a lot of money.

Thats it. not a lot of info to gather but thats just blarg. I dont know what to think of it.
I am sure that if he gets more heat under his belt he will deliver.

But for now

Neutral feelings about this guy.

nin1000

Banned
5. Bronx-Man [m]

Comes into the game stating that he dislikes lucario. Sophia calls him out for making that first post a fluff one. He responds to her by making fun and stating that she got him and he will be lynched now. Gets a prod vote from Stanley to which he replies that he is curretnly busy.

Nothing really to get my head around it. Bronx did not post mich which makes sense if he said that he is currently busy. Hope to see more from you in the coming days.

Null read about this guy.
image.php

Ah, hello Dusk. How are you this evening?

You've been a little quiet lately, what are your thoughts so far?

Personally I didn't find anything about the initial Ty40n/Sophia/Darryl exchange alignment indicative. But I feel like it's provided a safe talking point for people to make themselves look they're contributing.

Right now, the players jumping out at me are Nin100, Blarg, dusk soldier and to a lesser degree ty4on.

Dusk soldier is really reactionary. He had that one remark about Darryl only being able to focus on a single player, and the other two of his game relevant posts was defending that from verilios. In my experience, even a scum hiding in low activity is very rarely completely MIA from day 1, and at the very least posts a couple of one-off remarks to prevent being the least active player. Dusk fits that...

Now 100%, the irony of me commenting on this post is not lost on me.

I just want to say that:

i. Calling a player "really reactionary" because they answered a question that someone asked them is HUGE reach man.

ii. Nin, Blarg, Dusk = scum is about the safest D1 read list that I've ever read on this site. I don't think I've even played a game where the three of us showed up on a D1 town list. You're not even trying.

so, uh

How 'bout this set-up, huh?

Pokemon, and Pokemon Trainers

Exciting

are you excited

I do want to say that I'm really interested about how the mechanics work in this game, but so far there hasn't been any substantial discussion or speculation about it and I'm kind of disappointed.

I think all we know so far is that trainers can catch pokemon in this game. Can trainers catch multiple pokemon at once? Can team rocket catch pokemon?

And are the pokemon the key to role powers? Like for instance if you caught a chansey, would that unlock a doctor ability? or if you caught a Stoutland would that become a Cop ability?

And if team rocket does indeed have the ability to catch pokemon, would they still have the night kill ability? Team rocket doesn't normally kill pokemon, although I suppose the flavour could say they've been shipped off to a lab or something instead.

My reads A-Z.

Blargonaut [m]

Our post leader. To be expected as it is Blarg. Usually by this point on in D1, Blargonaut has found someone or some conspiracy to tunnel begins spouting some wild and crazy theories. Since this has yet to happen he seems like he’s most coast-y than normal. Null.

Bronx-Man [m]

Never played with him in Mafia before. There nothing much to gleam from two post his given us. I will say that inactives has me a lot more worried after the last two games I’ve been in and we definitely need to keep on them and keep everyone contributing. A vote towards them didn’t even get him out of the woodwork. EDIT seems at second vote has gotten his attention, we may finally hear something. Leaning inactive-scum.

Christina Mackenzie [m]

CM was scum in PiS and while I had some inklings that they might have been throughout that game I kept getting pointed in other directions. Overall, I think CM is fairly good as acting town but tends to start coasting when the posts and players counts go down. CM’s opening post was for a vote for Stanley in referring to hammering of that last game that gave CM and team scum the victory.

Later, CM heavily insistent that he’s town and why don’t we just vote for him now? This is bit of an abrupt statement for Page 4. I get the feeling that few people have played with town!CM as there seems to be a lot of uncertainty within the thread. Null but wary of.

Dusk Soldier [m]

Forgot he was in this game. Blarg put him in a Box to himself and I agree. Let the record show that my favorite Pokémon is Vulpix. Because Fire type is superior. Null.

Darryl [m]

Explained my read on Darryl here (#139) prompted by our resident Ferret and I stand by my previous read that Darryl is likely town. Have never seen scum Darryl, don’t know if I really ever want to because the thought scares me. However, I will add that if Ty4on is scum than likely Darryl is too. Town.

El Topo [m]

Senpai please notice me. The sequel??
Coast city until getting called out by LP and backed up by Sophia. Topo was in favor of quantity over quality which is not a good look and seemed immediately heated. Attempt to turn the whole argument around and get everyone looking at Sophia—which isn’t the first time this has happened in this thread by others. Many people want us to look at Sophia. Scum.

More coming soon.

Hey I got a vote before I even joined the game. That's presumably some sort of record so I'm pretty stoked about that.

You're just universally suspicious, that's why <3.

Fireblend

Banned
Happy to report I made it to my destination. I don't have access to a PC so don't expect long posts from me but I can post from my phone just fine.

My only observation so far today is that I thought it was at least funny that Dusk mentioned people potentially shielding themselves behind the Soph-Ty-Darryl thing (which I think is probably safe to say, considering the amount of people who commented on it) and then took Blarg's post about the game mechanics to make some safe questions about the setup. Not saying they're not worth discussing, just that those are also far into the "safe" end of the spectrum.

Top Bottom