• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Alien Isolation - One of the scariest games ever!

Just about to start playing this. What's the best difficulty for a typical gamer to play this on?

Don't feel pressured to play it on hard. It's a difficult game overall, the alien's AI on hard is frustrating and borderline unfair. I'd start at normal and bump it if it's too easy.

Yeah the last thing you want to feel playing this is frustration. I'd say at least normal for the first go. It's a great game but I could see it being highly annoying on higher difficulties, especially considering the length.

CHC

Amazing game. The exploration of that
iconic room on LV-426
is pretty much what sent me over the edge as a longtime Alien fan.

Absolutely can not play it again though. Wow - I tried - but it's just too grating and stressful.

SRTtoZ

I replay this game every couple months, its so fantastic. I beat it on PC and PS4 and am going to go do another PC playthrough on the hardest difficulty. One of the best survival horror games in a long time. Savor the flavor my man (or girl). Also, its a long ass game so enjoy it and take it slow.

Still don't know why it was so long. The length killed much of the momentum it had built to me. Tension and atmosphere are really good at first.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I didn't mind the game's length but I gotta say
the 30 second ending after all that really blew

Ok, thanks.

Just wanna let you know right off the bat - you'll probably get stuck at a certain point dealing with a squad of humans very early in the game.

From what I've seen, everyone does.

Spacejaws

Absolutely amazing. The first moment that
2 aliens appear
was amazing. Absolutely loving love this game! 10/10!

RCSI

First time I tried the base Alien Isolation game was in VR (Engine+assets). Face-to-face with the alien was the most exhilarating moment I recall in VR.

down 2 orth

Don't feel pressured to play it on hard. It's a difficult game overall, the alien's AI on hard is frustrating and borderline unfair. I'd start at normal and bump it if it's too easy.

I didn't mind the game's length but I gotta say
the 30 second ending after all that really blew

Just wanna let you know right off the bat - you'll probably get stuck at a certain point dealing with a squad of humans very early in the game.

From what I've seen, everyone does.

Got it, thank you. Yeah, stealth and horror games can be frustrating as hell if the difficulty isn't tweaked perfectly, so that's good to know.

MadSexual

I have to agree with the poster that says it's probably the most "next gen" game they've encountered. It may not be the most technically advanced, but the scale of the environment combined with the highly accented lighting, particle effects (that fire -- my god), and sound design have put this in a different class for me on PC at high resolution.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Just about to start playing this. What's the best difficulty for a typical gamer to play this on?

I have no idea how normal is in comparison, but on hard the Alien can be quite relentless in its pursuit, so keep that in mind. Once you've passed missions 5-6, the hardest part is over.

I'm glad I beat the game on hard because of the tension it brings, but there are definitely some tough moments.

I'm also considering the platinum on PS4. All I'd need to do is cleanup the collectibles and do a no death run on casual. Maybe I'll get back to it someday.

IbukiLordSA

I picked up a brand new copy last week for $1 on Xbox One, would have preferred to play on PS4 but the price was too good to say no.

I am looking forward to starting the game sometime this week.

Had this in my backlog for ages. I just finished SOMA and loved it, is this comparable? It sounds like it might be too much of a slog. I liked that SOMA didn't last too long and that there were some serene moments.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Had this in my backlog for ages. I just finished SOMA and loved it, is this comparable? It sounds like it might be too much of a slog. I liked that SOMA didn't last too long and that there were some serene moments.

Well, it's comparable in that there's a monster chasing you most of the time. I had the reverse experience, played SOMA right after Isolation. That probably wasn't the best move, because it really puts to light how limited the monster mechanics in SOMA are. On top of that, the designs make them seem like a joke compared to the Alien. The monsters in SOMA were more annoying than scary. With the Alien there's real tension, and you also have more options in dealing with the threat. Isolation is on another level in that aspect.

Well, it's comparable in that there's a monster chasing you most of the time. I had the reverse experience, played SOMA right after Isolation. That probably wasn't the best move, because it really puts to light how limited the monster mechanics in SOMA are. On top of that, the designs make them seem like a joke compared to the Alien. The monsters in SOMA were more annoying than scary. With the Alien there's real tension, and you also have more options in dealing with the threat. Isolation is on another level in that aspect.
You're right, the monsters were annoying at times in SOMA, so you would say dealing with the Alien is more fun? Not sure if 'tense' means 'stressful' lol

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
You're right, the monsters were annoying at times in SOMA, so you would say dealing with the Alien is more fun? Not sure if 'tense' means 'stressful' lol

Well maybe 'fun' isn't the right word since the Alien is a complete asshole, but definitely more engaging and varied. The Alien feels like a real nemesis with unpredictable behaviour, something the lame monster gallery in SOMA could only dream to have.

If you thought the monsters in SOMA were lame and/or annoying, it's time to try Isolation and see who's boss. Just judging from the monster mechanic, SOMA feels like it was made 10 years ago.

Well maybe 'fun' isn't the right word since the Alien is a complete asshole, but definitely more engaging and varied. The Alien feels like a real nemesis with unpredictable behaviour, something the lame monster gallery in SOMA could only dream to have.

If you thought the monsters in SOMA were lame and/or annoying, it's time to try Isolation and see who's boss. Just judging from the monster mechanic, SOMA feels like it was made 10 years ago.
Haha ok. I'll definitely fire it up, so long as my gf
holds my hand
wants to see me play it

Minamu

Did they ever fix the awful loading times? Since the alien is an insta-kill just about every time it sees you, that loading screen became a close "friend" pretty quickly :/

jogu

Just finished this yesterday. I hated how few spacewindows there was. I wanted to feel being in space :-l. Also hated how small levels were. Usually only 2 routes to destination, and those were right next to other. Also ending sucked.

Wagram

Just finished this game for the first time myself. I had a blast with it and hope there's a sequel at some point. It's a very tense experience the entire time. This game would be insane in VR if they ever manage to do it.

Solid 8.5/10. Played on hard and never found it too difficult and saves were plentiful. Some of those reviews seem kinda over exaggerated in these two regards.

Nerrel

Yes, yes it is. Absolutely adore this game. A real 10/10 for me.

I think that's a bit much, mainly because of...
It's a pretty great and scary game but it goes on about an hour too long.

^this, but I think it was by at least several hours. That and the ending really under-delivered... without spoiling it, it's a total non-ending, both in terms of gameplay and story. I really wished they had capitalized on the obvious opportunity to stay in line with the first two films and do an airlock boss "fight."

It is a really good game, though. Edit it down to be a little purer and put a real ending in and it would definitely be worthy of a 10/10.

I've still only gotten a few hours in like well over a year ago. Embarrassing.

But what little I played...certainly made an impression on me

Top Bottom