• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega CD/Mega CD Appreciation Thread of Welcome to the Next Level

lazygecko

revbearp6suy.gif

Sapiens

Do you think the original animator made all those frames in MS Paint?

It looks like he did. Or maybe it was that Amiga paint program.

If so I'm glad I bought both of them last year. :p
Congratulations, I guess. I mean, actually sticking with the game long enough to beat it is impressive, but is it really worth the time? I gave up on Midnight Raiders pretty much as soon as I got to level two and realized that once you reach that point, if you get shot once you have to restart the entire game from the beginning. That's insane game design, how in the world did it actually ship like that? Through the first level the game is amusingly bad enough to stick with, thanks to the awful acting and simple but okay gameplay, but... one hit and you restart the game is horrible.
Absolutely not. I got close enough to beating it that I had to keep going but it took longer than I anticipated because when I did die it was way late in the game.

Yeah, they should have at least let you get "wounded" once or twice during the second phase. There are a number of enemies that you have absolutely no time to hit, you pretty much have to know where they are beforehand.

Next Sega CD game I'm diving into is probably Silpheed.

catabarez

Is there anyway to tell if you have the JVC variant of the Model 1 other than opening it up? Would a higher serial number mean anything?

Maou

Urusei Yatsura: My Dear Friends by Game Arts is the true MVP of best animation on Mega CD. You can't even hang, Furry Fighters.
Urusei Yatsura is magnificent, but I'd say Lunar~Eternal Blue's marquee scenes are easily on-par. In addition to the Dragonship scene above, certainly
Zophar's revival and Lucia's farewell.
They're certainly better drawn than what Gonzo's B-team cobbled together on the lackluster remake!

Conezays

Enjoyed playing Sonic CD earlier this evening. I managed to get to the final stage and then died shamefully; at least you get a save feature. The game looks pretty nice besides some annoying slowdown in parts.

Urusei Yatsura is magnificent, but I'd say Lunar~Eternal Blue's marquee scenes are easily on-par. In addition to the Dragonship scene above, certainly
Zophar's revival and Lucia's farewell.
They're certainly better drawn than what Gonzo's B-team cobbled together on the lackluster remake!

Silver Star's music sequence is still one of the most beautiful things I've seen in a game

It also may have given me one of my first, early crushes as a kid.

cj_iwakura

I still consider the Lunar series to be the only games where each remake is worse than the version before it.

Urusei Yatsura: My Dear Friends by Game Arts is the true MVP of best animation on Mega CD. You can't even hang, Furry Fighters.

Can't say that and not show any evidence.

Played a lot of Silpheed today. It was very frustrating early on due to difficulty. It took me hours to beat level five but once I did I made it to level 10. Spamming the secondary weapon on bosses and picking correct weapons in general make it a lot more playable and enjoyable. The continue system is a good trade off for being able to take numerous hits and replenishing your shield. I don't know if I got on a roll or I've got the game more figured out. Guess I'll find out tomorrow when I attempt to complete it.

I completed Silpheed today. This game is awesome! A slight change of pace from other shmups because there is little penalty for taking damage or dying, in concern to losing weapon upgrades. You pick your weapon power up before the level and it never upgrades or downgrades. There's some trial and error picking the best weapon for each level but you can adapt to some degree. There seems to be a difficulty hurdle at about level 4 or 5, even on the run I beat the game I died on one of those levels. After that it isn't extremely difficult until the last stage.

I didn't expect much from this game, it's definitely worth the small price it goes for. Another thing that struck me is that blowing up even the weakest enemies is really satisfying. I really dug this song Stage 5

Maou

I still consider the Lunar series to be the only games where each remake is worse than the version before it.
I love SSS too because it's different enough to be a true retelling, but yes, correct as usual, certainly on Eternal Blue---Funato herself said as much about EB remake's crappy animation. MCD cannot be beat. Why is our Lunar thread so quiet (sob)?

Admittedly I walked right into that one.

Galdelico

I completed Silpheed today. This game is awesome! A slight change of pace from other shmups because there is little penalty for taking damage or dying, in concern to losing weapon upgrades. You pick your weapon power up before the level and it never upgrades or downgrades. There's some trial and error picking the best weapon for each level but you can adapt to some degree. There seems to be a difficulty hurdle at about level 4 or 5, even on the run I beat the game I died on one of those levels. After that it isn't extremely difficult until the last stage.

I didn't expect much from this game, it's definitely worth the small price it goes for. Another thing that struck me is that blowing up even the weakest enemies is really satisfying. I really dug this song Stage 5

Yep, I also like Silpheed, alot. To the point I start leaning towards the other entries in the series, just because how much I enjoy playing the original game. I feel like it has a pretty steep learning curve, especially at the beginning - it really works in its own unique way, even more if you're like me, and enjoy classic, pre-bullet hell era vertical shmups only - but once you start getting the hang of it, it's engaging.

And yeah, I know I asked about it probably a page back, but those cutscenes keep blowing me away. What's the technology behind them? They can't be real time, but they look too clean and sharp, to be full motion videos.

Yep, I also like Silpheed, alot. To the point I start leaning towards the other entries in the series, just because how much I enjoy playing the original game. I feel like it has a pretty steep learning curve, especially at the beginning - it really works in its own unique way, even more if you're like me, and enjoy classic, pre-bullet hell era vertical shmups only - but once you start getting the hang of it, it's engaging.
It's not only the learning curve early on, those levels are just harder with the weapons and power ups you have at the time. When I got the auto-aim I felt I could watch out for damage more. It's actually a worse strategy than getting something like the phalanx gun and going in on the offensive but that takes some practice.

And yeah, I know I asked about it probably a page back, but those cutscenes keep blowing me away. What's the technology behind them? They can't be real time, but they look too clean and sharp, to be full motion videos.
Hardcoregaming 101 review mentioned about them LINK
Silpheed's major claim to fame on the Sega CD was of course its - for the time - amazing polygonal graphics. This was achieved by overlaying small spaceships, controlled in real-time by the player and AI, atop compressed video footage of polygonal environments which had been pre-rendered, presumably on enormously powerful computer workstations. By reducing the colors to give everything a flat-shaded look, the video footage didn't have the graininess associated with other FMV titles on the Sega CD.

Can't say that and not show any evidence.

Here's the Game Sack rundown of the game, I'd do straight footage but there isn't much on YouTube and this is the best I have seen. It's a GameArts joint, and looks to be an evolution of what they did with the animation for Lunar: EB. They also had to have been huge Urusei Yatsura fans, the fanservice and obscure references in this game are insane.

https://youtu.be/YuLxUAM3meA?t=38s

all full screen, and pretty impressive in following the anime look and feel. It's biggest weaknesses are the loading pauses, but for the time, it's incredible.

Also going to chime in on the Sega-CD Lunars being the best versions, even though SSS was a more fleshed out game, I think it really missed the tone of the original, and the story was simply not as good.

IrishNinja

^you're also the one who pointed out to me the difference in music quality! man, the PSX ones just sound lifeless in comparison, on certain tracks

^you're also the one who pointed out to me the difference in music quality! man, the PSX ones just sound lifeless in comparison, on certain tracks

Yup, I still need to give the Saturn version of SSS a listen, because the PSX one took some amazing new compositions and turned them to crap. The sound font or whatever they used for that game was painful. The advantage it had was that at least they were mostly new songs, so it didn't stand out as much. Eternal Blue was at least competent, but still the Sega CD versions, even though they had the bit rate of something being played through a potato sound far better. They stand out more as a result of being easier to compare.

Iwadare may have never topped the EB soundtrack, but most people know the PSX versions that sound like ass.

The final dungeon music went from this:

Footsteps of a Decisive Battle - Sega CD

to this:

Footsteps of a Decisive Battle - PSX

and that's one of the BETTER conversions.

(Just for fun I give you the official soundtrack version.

Soundtrack Version

As I said, Lunar SSSC especially butchered the tunes that it brought over from Eternal Blue.

I mean the Dragon Theme went from this:

Dragon ~ Holy Spirit - Mega CD (This MIGHT be the Lunatic Festa version, it's hard to tell for me. But they're the same mix, just at 44kHz and 16 bit)

to this:

Dragon ~ Holy Spirit - PSX

but nothing was hurt as badly as the Battle #2 from Eternal Blue. It went from this:

Fierce Fighting (Battle #2) - Sega CD

to this:

Boss Battle - PSX

it's just an unfair comparison.

I was determined to finally figure out Slam City with Scottie Pippen today...and I did! I bought the game in 1999 and probably hand't touched it since. Played the 32x/cd version, noticeably better fmv. It's actually pretty damn easy and mildly entertaining once you know what you're doing. I beat Scottie Pippen on my first try so I got that going for me.

The Orz

Here's the Game Sack rundown of the game, I'd do straight footage but there isn't much on YouTube and this is the best I have seen. It's a GameArts joint, and looks to be an evolution of what they did with the animation for Lunar: EB. They also had to have been huge Urusei Yatsura fans, the fanservice and obscure references in this game are insane.

It warms my heart to see Urusei Yatsura receive love. Dear My Friends is really a cool game, especially if you're a fan of the series. The soundtrack in particular is quite nice, featuring original opening and ending themes.

I always wondered why Game Arts gave Lum blue hair, though. :/

Galdelico

Oh boy, I love the cheesy, anime cutscenes in Devastator. Sure they're choppy and grainy, but the effort that was put in the storytelling still impresses me. And yeah, the game itself isn't half bad either. Not a classic, but far from being a 3/10, as I remember it scored on some Italian magazine back then.

It warms my heart to see Urusei Yatsura receive love. Dear My Friends is really a cool game, especially if you're a fan of the series. The soundtrack in particular is quite nice, featuring original opening and ending themes.

I always wondered why Game Arts gave Lum blue hair, though. :/

Probably had to do with the color palate. Of course the only correct color for Lum's hair is prismatic, but the anime could never pull it off, so it became green.

Why...would they even change that?

Also what is Iwadare doing nowadays?

The PlayStation version was hell bent on using it's internal hardware which was not up to the task.

As for Iwadare. he mainly does Phoenix Wright and Langrisser these days.

Was playing through Mortal Kombat this evening. The loading when Shang Tsung switches forms to other fighters is pretty bad. I thought my disc was scratched but watched youtube video to confirm. Nope.

IrishNinja

Was playing through Mortal Kombat this evening. The loading when Shang Tsung switches forms to other fighters is pretty bad. I thought my disc was scratched but watched youtube video to confirm. Nope.

this was always my biggest complaint in the day - magazines talked about how the music was in the wrong levels/etc but man, that Shang Tsung in-match loading was horseshit!

cj_iwakura

Probably had to do with the color palate. Of course the only correct color for Lum's hair is prismatic, but the anime could never pull it off, so it became green.

The PlayStation version was hell bent on using it's internal hardware which was not up to the task.

As for Iwadare. he mainly does Phoenix Wright and Langrisser these days.

'Langrisser'.

cj_iwakura

all full screen, and pretty impressive in following the anime look and feel. It's biggest weaknesses are the loading pauses, but for the time, it's incredible.

Also going to chime in on the Sega-CD Lunars being the best versions, even though SSS was a more fleshed out game, I think it really missed the tone of the original, and the story was simply not as good.

Wow, that looks great. The cut-in avatars are straight out of Popful Mail, too.

this was always my biggest complaint in the day - magazines talked about how the music was in the wrong levels/etc but man, that Shang Tsung in-match loading was horseshit!
They actually brought up Shang Tsung morph in PS1 MK3 on the bombcast this week so I guess it wan't just a Sega CD problem.

Oh boy, I love the cheesy, anime cutscenes in Devastator. Sure they're choppy and grainy, but the effort that was put in the storytelling still impresses me. And yeah, the game itself isn't half bad either. Not a classic, but far from being a 3/10, as I remember it scored on some Italian magazine back then.

Devastator's a fun little game, yeah. I like it. It is short, but it's good while it lasts.

Top Bottom