• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New York Times endorses Hillary Clinton for President

Status
Not open for further replies.

mclem

Trump cabinet meetings be like

Legion%20of%20Doom%20Meeting.jpg

Best episode of Family Feud ever.

I'm pretty convinced the people that insist Hillary and Trump are both equally bad candidates are more committed to their love of being cynical about politics than actually giving a shit about the next four years of the country. To think that Hillary's qualifications, platform, and general skill as a leader can be so easily offset by her shortcomings to the point where it brings her down to the level of the bigoted, idiotic Trump campaign is mind-boggling. Get a grip.

BunnyBear

I disagree. I think the press has a responsibility to be the steward of the public, and coming out with official endorsements with strong reasons why helps the public become more informed.

It's also more transparent. VIrtually all press boards will have some editorial bent to them, and so I think it's worse when they pretend to be fair and balanced, or neutral, not taking sides, but then every article is bent in a particular way.

In Australia the press typically only endorse the day before an election. I think that's a good time. Six weeks out is far too early from a newspaper as important as the NYT. That's when accusations of bias start to stick. (Even though they're spot on.)

What's the difference between officially endorsing, like this, and lying about being "Fair and Balanced"?

They specifically separate out their opinion statements from regular reporting. The editorials are where some staff (usually separate from beat reporters) speak personally and candidly about their views.

Journalists handle their work kind of like judges. They all have opinions and personal biases on everything, because they're human, but they are trained to be aware of their own opinions and biases and to actively put them aside when they are working on hard news.

Objective reporting is a skill that requires acknowledging and confronting your own preconceptions to get people the facts, and good reporters - like those at the Times - work very hard to separate their emotions from the story.

Some publications, like Fox or Breitbart, don't make any effort to confront their biases, and pass opinions off as hard news. The difference is honesty and transparency. The times and other papers with editorial boards are saying "here, we're going to put our opinions over here in a specially designated area to get them out of the way so you know the difference between that and when we're speaking from an objective perspective."

"Newspapers should be unbiased."
"Newspapers should be reporting facts and not endorsing political candidates."

These two statements are kind of hard to reconcile when facts tend to have a liberal bias. Or maybe it's more accurate to say that liberalism tends to have a factual bias. Either way, if a newspaper was only reporting on the facts, then it would more or less be an illicit endorsement of the liberal candidate anyway. Mr. Pants On Fire would be ineligible for consideration by anyone who considers facts a priority in their voting habits.

Kwame120

Banned
"Newspapers should be unbiased."
"Newspapers should be reporting facts and not endorsing political candidates."

These two statements are kind of hard to reconcile when facts tend to have a liberal bias. Or maybe it's more accurate to say that liberalism tends to have a factual bias. Either way, if a newspaper was only reporting on the facts, then it would more or less be an illicit endorsement of the liberal candidate anyway. Mr. Pants On Fire would be ineligible for consideration by anyone who considers facts a priority in their voting habits.
I'd argue that a fact doesn't have a liberal bias, a fact has no intent or deeper meaning at all. A fact is simply true. You could argue that someone favouring facts over opinions has a bias, but by it's very nature I'd argue a fact to be bias-less, it doesn't show inclination towards to truth or towards learning, it simply is, existing as truth without human interference or conception. It's our usage of facts that constitutes a bias.

Now, of course people argue for a bias when they say that a newspaper should report facts and not opinions - I have stated the bias here - but the implicit point is that newspapers should be unbiased towards particular opinions, people, organisations etc. So while factually right that the two statements are at odds with each other, I think it misses the point of what is meant by the first statement. I, from a non American perspective (so nothing to do with what election cycle it is numerically to me), feel that newspapers shouldn't endorse. People can, even in editorials, but the newspaper as a whole should try to stay neutral. I'm aware that newspapers have a bias anyway, but establishing your bias outwardly increases it's effect in the newspaper's work, and actually stifles it's reporting as anything contrary to that endorsement would be viewed suspiciously and seemingly discouraged, while it devalues the nature of facts in the newspaper by seemingly encouraging open bias.

fester

Banned
Times supported the Iraq War as well, no wonder it supports her

Your comment doesn't make much sense in light of what is actually said in the article. Did you read it?

NYT said:
"Her vote in favor of the Iraq war is a black mark, but to her credit, she has explained her thinking rather than trying to rewrite that history."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom