• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Before voice acting - Or, how the heck do I pronounce that?!

Jaquio from Ninja Gaiden. Late at night I look at the ceiling and ponder how to pronounce that name.

100% yes!
jaquio.png

LakeEarth

I called Guile "Goo-lee" when I was a kid.

I was also fairly off on how to pronounce 'Urien', and didn't realize my mistake until Street Fighter 5's story mode. I always went "Err-ien" when it's pronounced much closer to how it's spelt (You-rien).

Rye-oo instead of Ree-oo, I still trip up and call him the former.

Along with sounding better, Tide-us makes more sense in English given the context.

Aeana

If Ryu is Ree-oo and not Rye-you, then why is it sho-rye-you-ken.
None of these things are true.

Ryu is one* syllable. It's pronounced like roo with a y sound slurred between the r and the oo. Shoryuken is 3* syllables. Show-ryu-ken. Ryu is pronounced the same in both cases.

*Technically ryu is two syllables, but the second is the extended u sound at the end and manifests in speech as an elongated oo sound. Sho in shoryuken is also technically "shou" but again manifests as an elongated oh sound.

there are 5 basic vowel sounds in Japanese:

a = "ah", between the 'a' in "father" and the one in "dad"
i = "ee", as in "feet"
u = "oo" in "boot"
e = "ay", as in "hay"
o = "oh"

You're mostly right, except the "e" sound actually sounds like the first "e" in the word "clever". So, it's not "Pokaymon", but "Pokehmon", for example. The "ay" thing sounds a bit weird, to be honest, because you have the correct vowel sound in English.

As a Portuguese speaker and having had Japanese classes, I usually have no issue with name pronunciation. When in doubt, knowing katakana definitely helps.

Edit: Also, in many cases the "o" isn't supposed to be "oh" as in "oh my!", but more like the "oh" in "John".

h0tp0ck3t

I always pronounced Reina from Final Fantasy V as Ree eye na. Then I actually met someone named Reina who pronounced it Ray na, and then felt like an idiot

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Growing up with a language that is syllabic-centric really helped in the end for me, especially for Japanese games.

Japanese pronounce Arceus and Lucina properly though. I wonder why they changed them.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I'm still not sure exactly how I'm supposed to say "Nei" from Phantasy Star II. I say it like knee, but... *shrug*

I always say "Knee-eye" because that , although I think "Nay" is the more correct pronunciation. I mean, I really should know this considering its my favorite game of all time and her character is a favorite, too.

Desmond

Yes! Though to be fair we didn't even bother over here in France. It's not like we know anything about Gaelic and Irish and whatever. They were just funny names - that I found fascinating and unique. Hibernia FTW tbh.

If you would be so kind, how do you pronounce the following locations in the game?
- Mag Mell Maw Mal
- Connacht Konunkt
- Howth ignore the "w", pronouncing the ho like "hoe"
- Connla Konluh
- Lough Derg Lock Durrg
- Cave of Cruachan
- Muire Tomb Mwi-rah ui becomes wi
- Spraggon Den is there meant to be an accent over a vowel here somewhere? that would alter the pronunciation
- Treibh Caillte Trayv Kyle-chi (short i sound, more like "uh")
- Emain Macha no idea lol

Sorry but I gotta know, after all these years.

Pretty much. Back when I was a kid, I distinctly remember my brother telling me that Fireman, the Mega Man 1 robot master, was pronounced "Fi-er-man", and me responding "but you can also say "Feerman"!" Little shit me was so sure of himself too :lol.

See bolded

Cu Chulainn is pronounced Ku Sholin
Scatach - Ska-hahh

it's pronounced Ku- Cullen

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
See bolded

Thanks man! Spraggon isn't meant to have an accent, and I think "den" is just the English word. It refers to a cave that was the home of the Spraggon creatures.

As for Emain Macha, looking it up, Apparently it's pronounced something like "Evin Mah-ch-a".

Top Bottom