• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV EGX Livestream

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rappy

We should really be discussing how someone should convince me to not spend 350 bucks on that behemoth leather jacket
Well, for one it's not made out of leather so the leather cost is not factored into its worth (a quality leather jacket is usually $600+). I believe its materials are rayon, polyester, and cotton. I have no idea how much a quality sukajan costs or if the jacket is a quality sukajan. But it is limited edition and looked decent enough quality on the TGS stream.
It's not leather, and you can pay $35 instead.
Some people do actually just want the jacket and not the DLC at all.

I'd actually would like the Coeurl one but also not at $350. Maybe if I had a more disposable income at the moment.

lmao the fuck was that.

When people have exhausted the topic at hand, they start talking about what they don't have instead of the things they have now. It's so easy and all it takes is one post (lol the post to derail them all!). See, it's clearly a natural and human reaction to complain to something that doesn't even exist anymore. Pretty sure that's why we see a lot of FFXV threads derails into Versus territory most of the time.

OrionX

We should really be discussing how someone should convince me to not spend 350 bucks on that behemoth leather jacket

giphy.gif

pablito

Versus talk isn't going to stop. It won't stop when the game comes out whether the game is amazing, bad, or average. Because Square made the mistake of basically rebooting this game after years of teasers and trailers we have this situation. It's not going away.

What'll be great about this game releasing is I'll finally be able to not care about any FFXV thread, as I'll no longer need any cool info/video updates about the game. I can just play it. It'll be way easier to avoid Versus talk then.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Let's be 100. Even if this game was called FFXVI and used none of the content from the canceled game, people would still bring it up. *

Not in the context of 15 though. Which makes it irrelevant. We would be talking about a canceled game, not a current game that uses a lot of the same models and similar plot lines.

What'll be great about this game releasing is I'll finally be able to not care about any FFXV thread, as I'll no longer need any cool info/video updates about the game. I can just play it. It'll be way easier to avoid Versus talk then.

True. The dreamers can have the threads at that point since that'll be the only way to keep the idea of Nomura's alive lol

OrionX

Do we know if Noctis' ability to see the "light of expiring souls" is in XV? I would assume not since I haven't heard anything about it in a while, just wondering if it's been mentioned at all. I guess if he still had it he would've known
Regis was nearing his expiration date when they left Lucis.

Let's be 100. Even if this game was called FFXVI and used none of the content from the canceled game, people would still bring it up. People are just in love with Nomura, his trailer directing and the "what if..." based on the little bit of concepts we have. Nothing more to it than that. The fact XV uses a lot of what that concept had is just a way for fans of canceled game to be able to talk about it without coming across as people living in the past who always like to bring up this canceled game in XV threads. *shrug*

The problem is they spent years making trailers and teases for a game we never got. They then rebooted the game's world and characters when they changed staff. As a result Final Fantasy XV is forever going to be looked at by certain people as "the game we got instead of versus"

If they instead cancelled Versus and went with a new idea for FFXV then this wouldn't be happening. Would be people be upset? Of course! The thing is that they wouldn't be ganging up on that FFXV because it would have nothing to do with the cancelled Versus XIII project. They would instead be bitching at Square for killing the project they waiting so long for instead of bitching at Square for killing the project and replacing it with something that looks like the old project.

Final Fantasy XV looks like an amazing game to me that I'm going to spend a LOT of time on. I can disconnect myself from the "What could have been" with Versus because it's dead and has been dead for years now and I am interested in the story and world Tabata and BD3 are creating. That being said Square still shot themselves in the foot. Decided to change staff caused this problem. As a result there will always be people pining for Versus when it comes to FFXV and it's perfectly reasonable even if we're exhausted with the discussion or don't care.

I also feel like much of the Versus talk comes from the fact that this game still isn't out yet. We're 2 months out and since there's nothing new to see or talk about these threads will devolve into "Nomura's vision" "Stella" and "Versus tho". I can't wait for the game to come out so I and a majority of the people on here can just play the game. I also feel like a lot of the Versus discussion will be subdued in the OT when the game first comes out. Everyone's gonna be playing the game. It'll be once it's been out for a few weeks that people will come back and start saying "Well, if Versus got finished and would have been cooler!" or some other nonsense.

Ran rp

IMO Versus didn't die when the old project was scrapped. It died when Nomura left XV.

I was just as hyped for early XV as I was for Versus.

In the words of Barthandelus (FFXIII villain)

"Look at the fools...a mindless mob drunk on fear of a new FF game."

Seriously though, for a fanbase that found Hope whiny after his mums death & most of the XIII cast 'whiny'...Stella and Versus XIII's death has led to far more annoying whining than any XIII character ever did.

In fact perhaps that game and Stella were cancelled to finally fulfill Toriyama's revenge on the FF fanbase?

FF fanbase the circle is now complete...you have become the very angst ridden teens you were so desperate to destroy. *darth vader breathing intensifies*

---------

Anyway on to the game tehehe

I finally caught up with the extra few seconds of that shiva scene. The environment effect she has looks incredible...the touch/kiss whatever she did to noctis whilst he was freezing was just odd though. I mean it can't even feel 'sexy' as he looks like he's freezing LOL. Dunno how I feel about her
appearing randomly rather than having a set gameplay reason for her appearance though.

PSY・S;218447360 said:
IMO Versus didn't die when the old project was scrapped. It died when Nomura left XV.

Yeah it's clearly something to they intend to happen when they initially rebranded it to FFXV back in 2013. It happened shortly after and the problems came from there.

Inuhanyou

PSY・S;218447360 said:

Although i do think Nomura was trying to create something as close to Versus as he could(complete with multiple games), especially compared to what Tabata later turned the game into, i also think it was obvious that even Nomura's 15 was not Versus in execution, although it was similar.

He had said a long while back that Versus being a spinoff gave him the leeway to do a lot of different things and experiment with concepts that would not be allowed in a big numbered title because you need to aim at a certain mainstream audience and capture the biggest net of users.

I'm sure a lot of things had to put on the cutting room floor before we even saw the game at E3 2013 in order to change it into Nomura's vision of 15 instead of Versus 13. I'm sure the robotic soldiers were part of that, in order to give the game a lower rating than it otherwise would have gotten.

Perfect, see- that's me on the left and Inuhanyou on the right.

:p

Gbraga

The lack of any agency is still there. Still show as a tool for others.

My calling, my role as oracle, etc....

In the same way, is not devotion, since she's doing it because she was born to be the oracle and is the destiny calling her to be a tool for it, rather than her own interest of being one.

But she does have agency, and she does push things torwards her own interests.

Sure, she might be fulfilling her destiny, but she's absolutely determined to see it through, unlike Noctis. He has his role falling on him suddenly, and is at odds with it at first, and this journey of him maturing into his role is pretty much the main story. On the other hand, Luna was getting into some deep shit in Kingsglaive while Noctis was on his bro trip, in order to make sure that Noctis sees to his destiny as well.

I remember someone asking "can you really imagine Luna standing against Noctis on anything?", and that was weird to me, because yes, I absolutely can. If anything, I'm expecting her to push him torwards playing his role and trying to change his mind. If he refuses to do it, or isn't very interested in it, the only way I can see her not making a point against him on this is if she's coming from the "I'm sure he'll come around once he stops being a moron" point of view, and not "I'm sorry Noctis-sama, you're right, do whatever you want".

By even giving that speech under Niflheim's watch and siding with Nocits, she already shows a tremendous willpower to work for her goals. This could cost her a lot, but what matters to her is getting the ring to Noctis and putting him on his path to fulfilling his destiny, no matter the cost. The Dawn trailer even shows this very well, she was going through abuse for many years while Noctis was being pampered, with his father deeply lamenting his destiny.

The amount of shit she went through, and still sides against Niflheim in order to set things in motion to achieve her goals absolutely makes her a strong character, to me. Now, of course, this isn't enough to make her a good character, and that's the most important issue, but if going through what we know Luna does and still doing what we know she does is not strength, then you have a very generic definition of a strong character.

My main issue with Luna in Kingsglaive was how dumb she was. Sure, she was rescued, but she never just stood there crying, on the contrary, her insisting on going on her on without relying on more powerful people almost got herself killed a bunch of times. She's an idiot, but I don't perceive her as weak. She's a strong idiot.

Except for that moment
where she made the dude wear the ring.
That was pretty cool.

In the perfect timeline,
Crowe would manage to get her out and would become a guest party member in the main game. :(

Go_Ly_Dow

I think the real problem was simply sequels (multiple game saga) vs one game.

The former games director was dead set on one thing and senior management wouldn't budge on what they wanted.

I'm sure there were also more complex reasons around that (such as technical issues with Luminous etc...)

Inuhanyou

I think the real problem was simply sequels (multiple game saga) vs one game.

The former games director was dead set on one thing and senior management wouldn't budge on what they wanted.

I'm sure there were also more complex reasons around that (such as technical issues with Luminous etc...)

The problem...? You mean why he was forced to leave the project?

That was kind of what i was thinking as well. The higher ups did not approve of a huge protracted development period with tons of in house staff dedicated to the project with multiple installments for the numbered entree they just wanted done and over with.

So they forced Nomura to step down, and gave him FF7R in compensation, so he could go as crazy as he wanted with that. Even the engine stuff makes sense, because they just went with UE4, in a much more straightforward fashion and combined a smaller SE team with CC2 developers and put him, Nojima and others in the big chair.

I've said it before, but Tabata is the one who got left with the most pressure, of a new FF numbered installment, having to manage the expectations of what they wanted out of the project for years, and what people expected out of a big JRPG in general in the modern era as well

Gbraga

Also...

tumblr_ocqt3fp3CC1vrhk2qo2_540.gif

Lol

Kiss, please.

Do we know if Noctis' ability to see the "light of expiring souls" is in XV? I would assume not since I haven't heard anything about it in a while, just wondering if it's been mentioned at all. I guess if he still had it he would've known
Regis was nearing his expiration date when they left Lucis.

Yes, it was confirmed very recently, actually.

Maybe he saw Regis' light a while before, but just attributed it to him getting older and older for keeping the barrier?

Respectfully, you actually bring up a few of the fallacies that lead to this in the first place. Please don't take me pointing these out as me making fun of you, it's just to help you understand, and absolutely not to insult.

When you say that it's easily the easiest interpretation of that line, you're using that conjecture to support a different conjecture. And that's, in a nutshell, how misinformation spreads. I'm going to give you an example and hope I don't ramble on too much, but it's a relatively complex concept that's difficult to explain.

Imagine, for a minute, a public figure wrongfully accused of something. Let's, for the sake of argument, say it's a prominent football player accused of underinflating footballs. Totally random example! lol. And this player, during his press conference looks all nervous. So, the public at large sees this nervousness as confirmation of guilt. And you have two bits of information: A person is accused of a crime, and a person, when speaking about the crime is acting nervous.

So, what's the easiest thing you can attribute that nervousness to? Guilt, of course. So, now you have these two vague points supporting each other in this conclusion. The case I'm obviously referring to was far more complicated than this, but keeping it simple for the sake of discussion. The problem with this is that the two bits of information support each other, without anything tangible to anchor them. Like, in this case, the fact that the science proves that the balls were never actually deflated in the first place.

I'd say a lot of the people are completely unaware they are doing this, so it's not an insult to anyone's intelligence, but when you explain to someone that the speculation about the football deflation is irrelevant because the science tells us there was no crime in the first place, and the response is always akin to "well, then why was he so nervous during the press conference??", that's called post-facto justification and it's the main ingredient in witch hunts.

This may sound unrelated to this game, but it's really not. In a nutshell, this is what's gone on here for a long time. You did it just now by introducing your interpretation of the "My heart won't let go" line as evidence that that's what it refers to. It's self-reinforced in your mind because it seems to fit the other conjecture. The bottom line here is that "My heart won't let go" is as ambiguous as someone being nervous at a press conference.

I've studied this sort of thing for years. It has always fascinated me. And you can spot the signs easily once you get a good grasp of it. Clear as day. In my opinion, the same ingredients that make up a witch hunt are in play. And this is indistinguishable from scapegoating as well. Both are happening to Tabata and it's incredible grating to read it over and over again.

Now, sorry for rambling there, but to your point about them meeting as children or not, that meeting is presented as them meeting for the first time. It's actually a fundamental ingredient to the original premise. The idea that they could have met as kids when the original premise was completely different is a great example of a post-facto justification.

Imagine it's some time before the 2013 E3 trailer was revealed and all anyone knows is what's gone on with the original Stella trailers (including that they have just met for the first time, as evidenced here - http://web.archive.org/web/20100316...nal-fantasy-versus-xiii-nomura-interview.html - "Famitsu: Can you explain what is happening in the scene from the images released?"
"Nomura: The scene takes place at a party. This is the first time they have met each other.") . If you were to float the possibility that they had actually met as kids after it was explicitly stated that the premise is that they have met for the first time, you would be run off the board. The justification ONLY makes sense if you look back on it from today and connect the new dot to the old dot. Conjecture in general isn't a bad thing, BTW, just when it's being used as an argument or justification. It's like adding two variables without a constant.

Having "Stella" and Noctis meet as children is already a major departure from the original premise. But more than that, it PERFECTLY fits what is currently the Luna character as it is today. Through and through. That is as close to proof as you are going to get that the female character in the E3 2013 Trailer MUST be Luna in all but name.

Ahhh, okay. Don't worry, I don't feel insulted at all, lol. I just want to say though, my point wasn't that "My heart won't let go" necessarily means that he hasn't seen her since then. I wasn't aware of that Famitsu interview, so I didn't know that Nomura explicitly said that it was their first time meeting. I thought that it was conjecture that Stella and Noctis never met before the party in Versus. My whole thing with the "My heart won't let go" line is that it's not explicit what that refers to, but it seems to refer to Stella as the line immediately follows a flashback where he's told to forget about her. This isn't necessarily the correct interpretation, but the most likely conjecture would be that he has not met her since then, because that conclusion supports an assumed relationship between that scene and the VA lines given around the same time. I was trying to equate that conjecture(which contradicts the Stella=Luna claim), with the conjecture that Noctis and Stella never met before the party(which supports the claim that them meeting as children contradicts the Versus footage), and then use that to say that both are equally reliable. If that were the case, then accepting one claim as true (the claim of contradiction between 2013 and Versus) while ignoring the other(the claim of contradiction between 2013 and the final product) would just be completely arbitrary.

However, I recognize now that those aren't equal because Versus' party scene was explicitly said to have been the first meeting.

What I don't really understand though, is how the idea that Stella=Luna is anything more than an assumption. Even if we take it as 100% verified that this element of their relationship was changed from Versus to something more similar to what the final product ended up being, I don't see how that directly supports the idea that any other changes to Stella's character were made before Nomura's departure.

Also, I feel really stupid for not thinking up this possibility before, but isn't it also just conjecture that the childhood memory shown was something that actually happened instead of being a recurring dream of some sort? Once again, I don't think this is necessarily the case, but I guess I'm enjoying this argument so I'm finding more things to try and poke holes in. I'm wondering if that was ever explicitly confirmed to be an actual event, because if it has, then nothing. If it hasn't been confirmed, my previous reasoning was entirely pointless, and the claim that the trailer contradicts Versus falls apart even if Nomura's statement is verified in red.

I don't even really care about Stella, I'm just having fun.

wait the jacket is not even made out of leather?

Guess I now gotta wait for youtube reviews from guys not wearing fedoras and with a katana to tell me if it's any good and to see it in real life.

My mind is telling me no

But my bad spending habits and cheap apartment which offsets bad spending is telling me YEEEEEEE-HEEEEEEEEEEE-EEEEEEEES

No but seriously without it being leather it's now entirely based off quality/brand so I gotta wait for reviews to see how good it actually looks good.

Is there any word what to expect from the 9/30 ATR?

That is my birthday, and when I would have originally been unwrapping my present. Probably to find my wife - who to her credit could give two shits about gaming - had accidentally bought me the Xbone version. So blue balls for alternate world me too.

Gbraga

Oh cool, that was one of my favorite ideas from Versus. Hopefully Luna has it too.

Yeah, I was very pleased too. They did well in ditching the hair changing color, that was kind of stupid, but the eyes changing color and the concept of "eyes that see the light of expiring souls" was really cool, glad they kept it.

I can't see Luna having it, though. She still seems to have a fundamental role in fulfilling their journey, but in a different way, as an oracle. Stella was more of an equal to Noctis, I assume, while Luna is an entirely different "entity" for that world's conflict. Both necessary to achieve the same goal, but doing different shit. The Oracle's job is to keep the Plague of the Stars at bay, and Noctis' job is... I have no idea.

Probably kill some shit, so we can kill some shit in the game.

Killing shit is fun.

EDIT: Here's the source, btw: https://twitter.com/Nova_Crystallis/status/766080726865502208

Rappy

My mind is telling me no

But my bad spending habits and cheap apartment which offsets bad spending is telling me YEEEEEEE-HEEEEEEEEEEE-EEEEEEEES

No but seriously without it being leather it's now entirely based off quality/brand so I gotta wait for reviews to see how good it actually looks good.
Sukajan (those types of jackets) aren't typically made out of leather. But you can see how it looks on Tabata from their ATR stream at TGS. However, no high quality shots going into detail from that stream.

Gbraga

Oh wow, just going through some tweets, I'm not gonna post it in case it's a scan, but the Leviathan decal is SICK.

I thought I'd never touch the car customization, but man, that's so tempting.

Ishida

Banned
All these livestreams and events, they've showed off the whole game by now right?

Highly doubt it.

I've always found it funny just how divisive the marketing for this game is.

One one hand you have the usual people saying "They are not showing anything new! The same scenes over and over in each new trailer. I want more scenes!"

Then they release a new trailer with new footage, and you get other people with "OMG, they are spoiling the whole game now! Why did they show THAT!?"

People tend to believe the game will have very little narrative because the trailers are kept simple. But when a new trailer with new scenes is released, suddenly they are "telling too much and showing the whole game".

Pretty much proves that there is no way to please everyone. One group of people is always going to complain.

wmlk

Not only have they shown the first chapter in the streams over and over again...they all literally do the same thing over and over again.

There's much more to Lucis than just Galdin Quay. That optional dungeon was one of those things that Square showed off and no one else has bothered since.

Aters

Is there any word what to expect from the 9/30 ATR?

That is my birthday, and when I would have originally been unwrapping my present. Probably to find my wife - who to her credit could give two shits about gaming - had accidentally bought me the Xbone version. So blue balls for alternate world me too.

Oh my God. You are the biggest victim of the delay in the world! Hope they have something nice at the ATR.

DrBretto

Banned
Ahhh, okay. Don't worry, I don't feel insulted at all, lol. I just want to say though, my point wasn't that "My heart won't let go" necessarily means that he hasn't seen her since then. I wasn't aware of that Famitsu interview, so I didn't know that Nomura explicitly said that it was their first time meeting. I thought that it was conjecture that Stella and Noctis never met before the party in Versus. My whole thing with the "My heart won't let go" line is that it's not explicit what that refers to, but it seems to refer to Stella as the line immediately follows a flashback where he's told to forget about her. This isn't necessarily the correct interpretation, but the most likely conjecture would be that he has not met her since then, because that conclusion supports an assumed relationship between that scene and the VA lines given around the same time. I was trying to equate that conjecture(which contradicts the Stella=Luna claim), with the conjecture that Noctis and Stella never met before the party(which supports the claim that them meeting as children contradicts the Versus footage), and then use that to say that both are equally reliable. If that were the case, then accepting one claim as true (the claim of contradiction between 2013 and Versus) while ignoring the other(the claim of contradiction between 2013 and the final product) would just be completely arbitrary.

However, I recognize now that those aren't equal because Versus' party scene was explicitly said to have been the first meeting.

What I don't really understand though, is how the idea that Stella=Luna is anything more than an assumption. Even if we take it as 100% verified that this element of their relationship was changed from Versus to something more similar to what the final product ended up being, I don't see how that directly supports the idea that any other changes to Stella's character were made before Nomura's departure.

Also, I feel really stupid for not thinking up this possibility before, but isn't it also just conjecture that the childhood memory shown was something that actually happened instead of being a recurring dream of some sort? Once again, I don't think this is necessarily the case, but I guess I'm enjoying this argument so I'm finding more things to try and poke holes in. I'm wondering if that was ever explicitly confirmed to be an actual event, because if it has, then nothing. If it hasn't been confirmed, my previous reasoning was entirely pointless, and the claim that the trailer contradicts Versus falls apart even if Nomura's statement is verified in red.

I don't even really care about Stella, I'm just having fun.

You seem very nice.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah. No. That's definitely not going to happen. :p

Now, the review thread, on the other hand... When this game starts putting up low-to-mid 90's, I imagine the detractors will be quieted for a day or two. But if the OP doesn't have Stella *in the title*, I'd be surprised.

If the game gets low to mid 90s we can subtitle the OP "Beyond Stellar and Versus All Odds".

Ray Down

Banned
I know it wasn't in this thread where this was being debated, but Tabata reconfirmed in Famitsu that Luna will be a guest party member.

Tyaren

I know it wasn't in this thread where this was being debated, but Tabata reconfirmed in Famitsu that Luna will be a guest party member.

This great news. :) I don't know if I remeber it wrong or understood it wrong but I swear Tabata said a long time ago that Luna was actually not ever going to be a party member, nor any female character actually.

DrBretto

Banned
Will there be more than just 3 type of elements that you can draw from the earth?

How does one create X-Zone,meteor or Death?

We just learned today that Death is Ring magic, but for the rest:
No, you draw the three elements. But, you then combine those elements with items and THAT's how you create new spells.

Like, for example, if there's an Ultima, it would probably be a recipe of 99 Fire, 99 Lightning and 99 Ice, mixed with a dark matter. Something along those lines.

Think FFX's Mix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom