• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Sources: Destiny 2 coming to PC [UPDATE: Loads of extra info]

I cannot comprehend this. I know programming isn't child's play but they have a small army working on this game.. with multiple studios chipping in..
What's difficult to comprehend about the nature of video game development?

You can't just throw a large group of developers at a project and now suddenly expect that project to be done much sooner.

What's difficult to comprehend about the nature of video game development?

You can't just throw a large group of developers at a project and now suddenly expect that project to be done much sooner.

Really? More people working towards a goal doesn't make that goal be achieved faster?

What kind of logic is that?

benzopil

I do find it weird how hyped everyone is about this game though, considering how much shit the first game gets.
I love this game, it's a great coop experience. I spent a lot of time in Trials of Osiris and Raids. But after playing Rise of Iron I think it's time to introduce something completely new. It's not a terrible expansion, it just doesn't have anything to keep me interested after all these years. Even amazing shooting mechanics are getting old.

That's why I'm hyped for Destiny 2.

SgtCobra

I cannot comprehend this. I know programming isn't child's play but they have a small army working on this game.. with multiple studios chipping in..
Creating lots of content isn't easy nor does it take a small amount of time. I guess Bungie wants to make sure that people don't run through all the content in 2 weeks.

FelipeMGM

Yep, I know. But they are changing almost everything it seems. The same happened to vanilla Destiny and that was delayed a bunch of times.

And when saying they might not hit september, Im not saying this game will be delayed into 2018, but to later 2017

There's also the Video Game Awards (if that's happening again).

I was just about to say this! It previously slipped my mind but the VGA's would definitely be a great place to announce Destiny 2. My vote is with this, especially if it's on PC as well.

Durante

Really? More people working towards a goal doesn't make that goal be achieved faster?

What kind of logic is that?
Software engineering logic. No, seriously.

(That said, I'm quite sure that things like art, animation and even level design are more broadly and effectively parallelizable, and they make up the vast majority of the manpower in a modern AAA game project)

Also, for people questioning whether or not Sony gets rights to further Destiny perks - the deals they have signed are practically for the lifetime of the franchise. Sony is all over that, and will be for the foreseeable future. Expecting Sony to not have some sort of exclusivity on some content is almost foolish at this point.

That isn't to say it'll be strikes or anything. They could be purely cosmetic going forward. But Sony wants the PS4/Pro to be the best place to play Destiny for, well, for as long as possible really. They like treating it like a 1st-party release, they're all in on the sequel. It obviously renews every year, but right now Sony is super vested in Destiny.
This is the biggest bummer ever.

Software engineering logic. No, seriously.

(That said, I'm quite sure that things like art, animation and even level design are more broadly and effectively parallelizable, and they make up the vast majority of the manpower in a modern AAA game project)

Yeah in software engineering or very particular cases, but in the vast majority of situations (and this one I believe) more manpower gets the job done faster.

Gator86

This is the biggest bummer ever.

This type of thing is always gross, but there was no universe where Sony left Destiny get away from them. Hopefully, D2 will be so big that the chopped out content won't sting too badly for non-Sony folks. It was abominable to cut out entire strikes for D1 considering the laughable amount of content pre-TTK.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yeah in software engineering or very particular cases, but in the vast majority of situations (and this one I believe) more manpower gets the job done faster.

I work in a software engineering firm and while you cant have two people do the same work, if you plan ahead and work on a modular approach, you should be able to divyy up the work b/w multiple engineers.

750+ developers/artists/designers is an insanely large number for a shooter though.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

I imagine the main hang-up would be either that they can't get their technology in launch ready state or they feel there are significant design issues that need to be addressed pre-launch.

Both of those are more time sensitive than people sensitive.

SaganIsGOAT

Can someone answer this for me. Why can we seemingly never go back and edit our characters after the fact? So many games now I have created what looked like a cool character in the editor only to be left with something I'm unhappy with in game. It's be great to be able to sex swap and modify my characters race and face after the fact.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Can someone answer this for me. Why can we seemingly never go back and edit our characters after the fact? So many games now I have created what looked like a cool character in the editor only to be left with something I'm unhappy with in game. It's be great to be able to sex swap and modify my characters race and face after the fact.
Generally games like to sell you character change kits later.

Agreed, more games should be like Sunset Overdrive

Am_I_Evil

the part that scares me about all the talk of revamping, restarting, totally new, tons of changes, is that I don't want a Titanfall 2 situation on our hands...while it's had its share of issues I really hope they don't change too much (in the wrong direction) and face a severe backlash because of it

This type of thing is always gross, but there was no universe where Sony left Destiny get away from them. Hopefully, D2 will be so big that the chopped out content won't sting too badly for non-Sony folks. It was abominable to cut out entire strikes for D1 considering the laughable amount of content pre-TTK.

Agreed. If it's just some ugly armor sets like the PS exclusive one below, that's fine with me.

gear-titan.png

the part that scares me about all the talk of revamping, restarting, totally new, tons of changes, is that I don't want a Titanfall 2 situation on our hands...while it's had its share of issues I really hope they don't change too much (in the wrong direction) and face a severe backlash because of it

Every developer always makes this mistake of trying to appeal to people that would never play their game anyway.

It's gonna happen

Toli08

Would love to see patrols or whatever raise the number of 3 people to 6 max. Especially if the locations are going to be so much bigger. Would also be cool to have strikes that are built for 4-6 people with matchmaking and then also have the 1-3 strikes like now.

Maybe even have a raid for 8 people with the regular 6 man raid. Keep raids to no matchmaking. However, in the social spaces allow people to post messages and look for people that wish to party up. It's the best system to make everyone happy.

Im also cool with starting from scratch however, would love to still be able to be a hunter, titan, warlock. While add three new classes to make it a total of 6. For the three old classes revamp some of the abilities to make them also feel fresh.

Also re: PS-exclusivity - it would be interesting this time around if PC and Scorpio versions looked and performed better but PS4 version had more content.

I know a lot of Destiny fans would be conflicted about which version is best.

Gator86

Generally games like to sell you character change kits later.

I'm fine with this... as long as it's done with in-game currency. If you want real money for it, get fucked, dev. That said, I'm guessing there's a hundred percent chance Bungie charges for it if it's in D2.

Bold One

Change for the sake of change is never a good idea, while we can all agree certain changes are necessary like world size, interactivity and content. Destiny is actually really unique in the shooter space, changing too much might actually backfire.

pantsmith

Would love to see patrols or whatever raise the number of 3 people to 6 max. Especially if the locations are going to be so much bigger. Would also be cool to have strikes that are built for 4-6 people with matchmaking and then also have the 1-3 strikes like now.

Maybe even have a raid for 8 people with the regular 6 man raid. Keep raids to no matchmaking. However, in the social spaces allow people to post messages and look for people that wish to party up. It's the best system to make everyone happy.

Im also cool with starting from scratch however, would love to still be able to be a hunter, titan, warlock. While add three new classes to make it a total of 6. For the three old classes revamp some of the abilities to make them also feel fresh.

I think strikes (at 3) and raids (at 6) are in a really good place. Instead of upping the cap for those activities they should come up with completely new ones designed around more players.

In regards to your comment about patrol, zones should be enormous and constantly full of small things going on, like Alterac Valley in WoW. No reason to settle for 8 players, why not 40?

labx

Banned
wait, I just jump again into the wagon. And this is going to be for next year? Damn.. I have to play a lot...

I've heard rumblings ( which means nothing ) that D2 will be shown this year...

I would love for that to be true. A PSX reveal would be amazing, but I can't help but wonder if Destiny is too big for something like PSX. Judging by its sales numbers its probably the 2nd biggest FPS in the world behind COD. I feel like Activision will probably reveal it on their own terms.

I think strikes (at 3) and raids (at 6) are in a really good place. Instead of upping the cap for those activities they should come up with completely new ones designed around more players.

In regards to your comment about patrol, zones should be enormous and constantly full of small things going on, like Alterac Valley in WoW. No reason to settle for 8 players, why not 40?
I certainly hope they can manage to fill larger zones with more content. As it is, these small zones have hardly anything in them.

The Dreadnought was alright, but then they took a massive leap backwards with the Plaguelands.

Toli08

What I meant by the strikes and raids wasn't eliminate the 3 people strikes and 6 people strikes. Was just saying adding 6 man strikes to whats already there.

The patrol zones I meant as a party right now you can only go in with 3 people. Would be awesome if they boosted that up to 6 people and then have those awesome 40+ evente in the zones. There has been so many times I wanted to do court of oryx and there are 6 of us online but we can't do it together because of the 3 person limit per party.

Gator86

I wonder if D2 will have more than 1 non-raid boss. Every single goddamn boss in the entire game is a slow-moving, palette swap that fires AOE mortars and kills you with an instant death dome if you enter melee range. Out of all the lazy things in Destiny, this is probably the worst. Just ridiculous they never found came up with anything else.

Dinjoralo

If this all happens, I'm gonna keep an eye out and wait to see if the game ever rereleases bundled with one of the expansions, like the original.

Yeah absolutely Patrol needs to be upped in terms of number of players in a zone. As it is it feels a little empty just seeing a couple people running around these spaces, especially if they are blowing them up in size. I would love to see something like 12+ in a zone and would really help it have some more of that "MMO" feel.

I expect a lot of this kind of stuff to happen though, as its obvious the memory cap of last gen drastically affected Destiny. I mean other than RoI everything on current gen Destiny had to work on last gen Destiny. There is no doubt that held a ton of stuff back especially for a huge scale online game like this.

I don't think we should expect it, but if it is shown before the end of the year, it makes sense for that to be the place. Plus E3 seems like too close to release to reveal it if it is as major an overhaul as it seems. You want a whole lot of lead time to send the message of "this is not Destiny 1 and it is not just an expansion".

I think it makes sense to announce at E3 (or just before and reveal at E3). CoD, Battlefield, AC, etc do it every year and they're fine for it. Fallout 4 did it. I know you mentioned that those are established IPs, but if there is one new established IP of this gen it's Destiny.

Also keep in mind they probably want people to keep playing D1 up until D2 launches. The longer they can hold off showing the new hotness, the longer players won't be looking at their old game comparing and wishing it was that. It would be one thing if your progress carried over which would give players a reason to keep grinding but that appears to not be the case.

I'd care more about D1 content transferring over to D2 if Bungie hadn't already made me numb to wanting my old stuff with me. I mean every expansion that came out made Year 1 stuff more and more pointless to keep with you except for nostalgic reasoning.

Sucks, but if a complete overall of the game is what it'll take to make it the Destiny we all want, by all means fuck D1 content.

I mean Vault of Glass & Crota haven't even been updated to stay relevant, why should anyone expect their characters to stay as well?

Destiny is a weird fucking game. So many things done so well, and so many easy things done so horribly wrong.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
so this team is even bigger than Rockstar's GTA5 right? sweet baby jesus

Well, I'm doing a bit of estimation of how many people are actually at Vicarious Visions and High Moon, but 200 or so felt like a safe bet.

I believe High Moon is 100+ and almost entirely on it, while I'm guessing only about half of Vicarious Visions' 200+ are there due to Skylanders.

Bungie is 750+ and has around 50 or so openings.

It's certainly one of the largest game teams ever though.

Edit:

Apparently High Moon has 123 people on LinkedIn which suggests more like 150+ staff.

Siphorus

I think at latest this game is November next year, but even then I don't know that Activision wants to put it out next to CoD.

That works with labor that is less technical, however if you're interested on why it's absolutely true you can read The Mythical Man Month.

soldat7

That works with labor that is less technical, however if you're interested on why it's absolutely true you can read The Mythical Man Month.

I'll go ahead and say it: TMMM is really overrated and pretty outdated. Some of the themes are true, but the whole adding people to a project late in the game and the project will be even later is not always true. Not even close.

The problem here is more likely one of scope, vision, and sheer organizational efficiency which were likely present from the start. Adding more of the right types of folks now could actually be Destiny's salvation.

LifEndz

I wonder how much of the marketing Sony will pay for. Wasn't Destiny talked about as a billion dollar marketing venture? Even if Sony is paying half of that, that's a hell of a lot. I'd be surprised if all that bought them was ugly armor sets.

farisr

I wonder how much of the marketing Sony will pay for. Wasn't Destiny talked about as a billion dollar marketing venture? Even if Sony is paying half of that, that's a hell of a lot. I'd be surprised if all that bought them was ugly armor sets.
I think the purported number was 500 million and that was for the entire franchise (as in multiple entries in the franchise included in the costs), and it wasn't just marketing costs, it included the development costs for all the entries in that figure as well.

Top Bottom