• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Examples of when a gif has sold you on a game

Kaztinka

This seems kind of like a character action game, how good is the combat?

A lot of people seem to think the game is pretty bad which has so far put me off

if you're into character action games for the style, then you'll be up for a fun ride
the game is mechanically much more simpler than PG titles, DMC3,4 & God hand
and it is janky at times (just like any other SUDA 51 game really)
BUT! it is super fun to land those sick dodges to do crazy shit just like in the gif
OR you can counter dudes to unleash sick POWER GEYSERS!

147031733542731.gif

The game is just mindless fun and it's not that long for the combat to wear off on you
the bosses are not that special(except for the last one which is basically an anime fight) but their designs are really amazing
I would highly recommend playing the PC version (and doing some tweaking) to experience it in 60fps

Kaztinka

Looks like a really cool game. Have to give it a bash.

glad to hear it ^_^
This lengthy post of mine could get you more hyped about the game
(they have been doing a great job at fixing all the bugs so now I can't think of anything that would ruin your experience other than getting rekt at the start)

This is honestly a more Platinum game than that horrendous TMNT title

Patrick S.

Banned
tumblr_nx4la7ysHN1txj8weo1_500.gif

Alien Isolation. It wasn't EXACTLY this gif, but it's similar to the one I can't seem to find right now; the one where the Alien just BLASTS through the smoke and eats the player's face.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
I generally don't watch trailers, especially not for things I'm going to get regardless.
But when I saw this nier automata gif, I went from "hmm guess I'm getting a ps4" to "absolutely getting a ps4".
Though now it's coming to PC \o/

EnlightenedCautiousAbalone.gif

I don't have the GIFs, but I do have a list of games that were sold to me through GIFs:
- NieR: Automata (edit: it's exactly that GIF above this post)
- Persona 5
- Just Cause 2 (have it on Steam, still haven't played it :( )
- Tearaway
- Alien Isolation
- Wolfenstein TNO
- DOOM
- Infamous Second Son
- Vanquish
- Metal Gear Rising

and many more, for sure.

sheamus

I can't really post a gif because I'm at work but that no Man Sky gif of the T Rex with the tiny little wings. sold me on that game

SomTervo

Sorry to bump an old thread but sold me on Mafia 3 so hard and so immediately. It wasn't even on my radar before

It's not that old :)

Also fuck yes to that GIF.

You know what would be the best implementation though? If it was like the Hare Krishnas from GTA1. Random groups of KKKers running around the city and you're somehow rewarded for killing them.

Literally just as an inversion of the GTA1 trope I mean, not as a self-indulgent thing (promise)

Anyway, hopefully they handle this well in-game.

This one and that Killzone 2 gif with the gunfire lighting up a helghast dude in the dark while he reacts to all the hits

Killzone2-1.gif

Some variant thereof

Man, did the game live up to that shit or what?

I still remember my favorite KZ2 campaign moment. It was during the segment of the game where you had to disable the Arc Thrower (the lightning AA gun) by blowing up its command center, situated in the courtyard of some Helghan apartments. At one point, I was running by a door - and it flung wide open as a Helghan took one step out. As soon as I saw him step through the door, I aimed my shotgun square at his chest and boom

dude flew back, right through the doorway he just stepped through, like he just got kicked in the chest by ong bak. arms and legs outstretched in front of him as he just goes flying like ten feet backwards through the air. as he's flying back his ass hits a railing and he does a little flip and lands on the ground behind the railing face first

my buddy and i paused the game right then and there and laughed about it for a solid 10 minutes

laxu

Man, did the game live up to that shit or what?

I still remember my favorite KZ2 campaign moment. It was during the segment of the game where you had to disable the Arc Thrower (the lightning AA gun) by blowing up its command center, situated in the courtyard of some Helghan apartments. At one point, I was running by a door - and it flung wide open as a Helghan took one step out. As soon as I saw him step through the door, I aimed my shotgun square at his chest and boom

dude flew back, right through the doorway he just stepped through, like he just got kicked in the chest by ong bak. arms and legs outstretched in front of him as he just goes flying like ten feet backwards through the air. as he's flying back his ass hits a railing and he does a little flip and lands on the ground behind the railing face first

my buddy and i paused the game right then and there and laughed about it for a solid 10 minutes

To me bullet impacts should be one of the most important things in shooters where you have to pump tons of bullets into an enemy. I hate games where you just see their health bar go down but they don't react in any way.

Two are what got me interested in Dark Souls, both made by Alo81.

First I saw was a character in dragon form with a Dragon Bone fist uppercutting a clam... that sounds so weird.
Sadly I can't find it, it used to be here, but it seems the image hosting service shut down.

Second one was this

reremake_by_aloo81-d7d2zxq.gif

Or more specifically, the original version which also isn't available, that's a remake.

bjork

Can't find it now, but back when Yakuza 1 was coming out and there was one showing how you could use a bicycle as a melee weapon and that's when I knew.

Dunkley

Two are what got me interested in Dark Souls, both made by Alo81.

First I saw was a character in dragon form with a Dragon Bone fist uppercutting a clam... that sounds so weird.
Sadly I can't find it, it used to be here, but it seems the image hosting service shut down.

Was curious about how that gif looked like so I went searching, found something by reverse image searching a thumbnail preview of what you linked. Is this the gif?

dragon_punch_clam_by_alo81-d6o92yl.gif

Because it is pretty damn amazing. Would've sold me on DaS if I hadn't already played and loved every game in the franchise.

Harlequin

Not sure if it's the only thing that really sold me on the game but I do remember seeing a gif of The Witcher 3 that had like a thunderstorm above some grassy hills, which just looked incredibly atmospheric, and that definitely made me want to buy it more.

EDIT: Tried to find it but can't. Does anyone have it?

Top Bottom