• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyrie Drive -Bhikkhuni- |OT| Weaponized women powered by pleasure

R0w085a.jpg

Special thanks to Pariah64 and HawthorneKitty for their OT on Senran Kagura Estival Versus and Senran Kagura 2 from which this OP's format is based.

All Banners and text done by Dark_Tzitimine

qm8jYrl.jpg

• This game is considered NSFW
  • Let’s try to keep discussion on topic so mods aren’t compelled to lock the thread.

efChV43.jpg

Developer: Meteorise
Publisher: Marvelous AQL (JP); PQUBE (NA&PAL)

Genre: Action, beat-'em-up

Release Dates:
  • Japan: December 10, 2015
  • PAL: September 30, 2016
  • North America: October 11, 2016
Platform: Playstation Vita

Price:
Physical (EU) £34.99 / Digital £34.99 / LE £59.99
Physical (NA) $39.99 / Digital $39.99 / LE $79.99
Size: 3.2 GB

Limited Edition
"Liberator Edition" Exclusive to Rice Digital
  • Copy of the game
  • 8x Art Cards featuring art from the game
  • Vita Peach Skin Case
  • Official Soundtrack
  • Valkyrie Drive: Bhikkhuni Artbook
  • High quality presentation box with exclusive art by the game's artist Mana Wara

Game's Website

K3Iz68T.jpg

A mysterious illness suddenly broke out on girls in their teens and twenties, enhancing them mentally and granting them the ability to turn their bodies into extremely lethal weapons. The cause of the illness was a particular virus currently classified into two types: “A-Virus” and “V-Virus”

The World Government enacted a law to care for patients infected with the virus. Five secret artificial islands were established to quarantine the infected patients.
One such quarantine island: Bhikkhuni.

The island famous for successfully controlling the “V-Virus”. Girls who enroll in Bhikkhuni’s school can overcome the viru. And thus, it is a school with many hopeful applicants. Among them is a pair of sisters infected with the “V-Virus”.

The elder Rinka Kagurazaka, whose innocent graces hide her power within.
The younger Ranka Kagurazaka, whose outgoing energy belies her frailty.

They are still unaware there is only one way to control the virus.

And that is…for infected patients to battle each other.

itLUAx4.jpg

c6nLGgM.jpg

Gameplay proceeds over the course of two phases: adventure parts and action parts.

In the Adventure parts you will unravel the secrets behind Bhikkhuni’s island by following the Kagurazakas on their quest to find a cure for their afflection. The story is told in a VN style not unlike EV’s own story mode.

However is important to mention that unlike EV, Valkyrie Drive actually has two different ending routes –Chaos and Order– unlocked in accordance to your performance through the game.

Action parts are conducted within fully polygonal gameplay fields, with players tasked to defeat enemies as they work to achieve the objectives at hand.

Hidden Collectibles
In certain stages you can find hidden collectibles –called Fragments- that unlock on the in game’s store new accessories or lingerie. These fragments can be found laying through the stage or hidden inside stone blocks that you have to chisel to set them free.
In addition to the fragments you can also found special interactable elements like the aforementioned Chestguards or Teleport Pads that take you to secret missions not unlike those you can find on the DMC games.

Combat
There are three important elements to know regarding Bhikkhuni’s battle system: the Driving, Dodging and the Phantom mechanics.

Driving
In this game you’ll always pick two characters before jumping into action but you will only control one through the stages. This playable character is identified as “Liberator” on the character select screen. Her partner –whom you will only see during the initial and driving cut scenes–, is called “Extar” and she literally becomes the weapon for your Liberator.
In practice, Driving is quite similar to the Shinobi Transformations on the Senran Kagura games with two distinct differences: there are four different levels of driving and the Extar determinates the moveset and stat bonuses for your Liberator.

Your character’s Special Attacks (Called Drive Breaks) is also determinated by your current Drive level. The basic Drive Attack is unlocked on Drive 2, the middle tier in Drive 3 and the Ultimate tier in Final Drive. Just like in EV all the Drive Breaks are ground based.

At the start of the game you will only be able to access Drive 1 but as you raise the Extar level of the characters you will unlock the remaining tiers. At Extar level 10, all the Drive levels are unlocked.

Dodging

Pressing R alongside a direction on the analog stick will prompt your girl to roll towards the direction pressed. This is the only way to cancel some attack animations and also if you dodge an attack in the nick of time, there will be a brief slowdown on the combat while your character safely avoids damage. Doing this will earn you a small amount of power for your synchro gauge (shown on screen as small balls of pink light)

Phantom Mechanics

In lieu of a running mechanic, Bhikkhuni counts with something called “Phantom Jump” You trigger this mechanic by pressing and holding X until your character’s feet shine, then they will propel themselves forward (or towards any targeted enemy). If the targeted enemy is currently stunned, it will be launched into the air by the Phantom Jump where it will lie defenseless to your attacks. When this happens you can trigger four different Phantom Maneuvers:

• Phantom Dance: By pressing square multiple times your character will hit the enemy with an air combo.
  • Phantom Blast: Pressing and holding circle and then releasing it will cause your character to release a burst of energy.
  • Phantom Strike: Pressing circle will cause your character to launch the enemy even higher with a single hit.
  • Phantom Fall: Activated by pressing triangle, this attack will prompt your character to launch a strong attack that will cause the enemy to come crashing down into the ground. Unlike the other attacks this will finish your combo.

Each attack needs specific timings to work but successfully landing them will give you a small attack boost, by combining them in your combos you can multiply your base attack power in amounts as high as 400%

Aside of these offensive maneuvers you have two defensive ones: Revenge and Phantom Delude.

• Revenge: Triggered by unleashing a Phantom Jump in response of being launched into the air by an enemy attack. This will allow you to recover and immediately launch a counter attack.
  • Phantom Delude: Activated by Phantom jumping into an enemy attack and dodging in the last second. This will allow you to safely avoid any attack and will also reward you with a bigger attack boost. However, the timing for this one is so strict that you can’t really use it in battle against most enemies.

TFGqmID.jpg

There are three different multiplayer modes:

Liberation: Damage your opponents.
Strip: Damage your opponents' clothes.
Melee: Basically Smash Bros.

Each mode can be played with 2 to 4 players. Both in teams or in Battle Royal.

vrDWoJd.jpg

Videos
Action Trailer
Launch Trailer
First Hour Playthrough

Screenshots

2rBxCyT.jpg

30-09-2016 Week (Europe)
HQ Sound Files
Favorite Underwear Free Set
Vita Theme
Mirei & Mamori £4.99
Swaying Accesories Set
Above Set Includes:

11/10/2016 America (Thanks to Zonic for the links)
Vita theme ($2.99)
High Sound Quality Pack
Favorite Underwear, Color Variation
DLC coin ($0.99)
DLC Coin 10 + 1 ($0.99)
Momo's Scarf $ 1.49
Swaying Angel Wings $1.49
Swaying Cat Tail $1.49
Swaying Fox Tail $1.49
Paradise Swimsuit Set ($12.99)
Senran Kagura Huge Accessories Set ($9.99, adds 58 accessories)
Cat-Eared Hood
Corsage
Cyber Cat Ears
Droopy Elf Ears
Earring
Flower Crown
Fox Ears

1Aqecsd.jpg

Reviews2Go 8/10
Playstation Country 7/10
The SixthAxis 8/10
Tech Gaming 82%
Hey Poor Player 4/5
The Inner Circle 7.5
The Gaming Ground 4/5
Third Strike 7.0
Cubed 7/10
Sumikai (German) 77.7
Meristarion (Spanish) 8/10
IGN Spain (Spanish) 7.5
Nerdeable 6.6

PRvUbAU.jpg

Q. Is this game Vita TV Compatible?
A. It is
Q. Does Gamestop/BestBuy carry this game?
A. In the west the game is only carried over by Amazon on the US and Video Game Plus in Canada.
Q. We'll get all the DLC?
A. Yes, all the 162 items
Q. I heard having a Senran Kagura: Bon Appetit save on my memory card will unlock free accessories on this game. Is true?
A. Is true. 29 Items in fact.
Q. How do I unlock the Bon Appetit freebies?
A. They have to be bought in Echigoya's store.
Q. Do I need to see the anime beforehand?
A: The anime and the game tell separate stories so no, is not necessary.
Q. How do I unlock the characters' hair styles and hair colors?
A. Those are unlocked by raising each character Rack Rank in the communication room.
Q. I got the notice I unlocked accesories/clothes/Music/CGs after ending a mission but they don't show up on the Gallery/Communication Room!
A. Everything has to be purchased first on the in game store.
Q. How do I activate the Heart Catcher minigame? Pressing Triangle doesn't do anything!
A. You have to raise first the character Rack Rank to 20, then the minigame will be unlocked for that character in particular.
Q. How do I use the healing potions?
A. Press and Hold left on the D-pad and then press L
How do I trigger Phantom Delude?
A. You need to have good reflexes to get the timing down. For reference, take a look at this video
Q. How do I unlock the Order Route?
A. You need to get SS rank on these missions
1B 1C
2B
3B
4B
12A 12B 12C
13A
14A 14B
15A
16A 16B 16C
Q. Help! I got Order route on my first playthrough, am I locked out the Chaos Route?
A. No, you can select the Chaos levels on the Mission Select menu.
Q. I can't find this game anywhere in Germany/Australia. What gives?
A. The game was refused rating on those countries and thus, and since not rated games can't be stocked nor sell, it wasn't possible for PQube to sell it there. However, you can still import the game from foreign retailers like Amazon. Just keep in mind that this will lock you out of any DLC unless you set a new account in the region your copy is from.

Mediking

I have no shame. I will buy this instantly if I hear a few good positive impressions from
LEWD
GAF.

suikodan

It's no longer releasing in october for NA? Noooooooooooo...

EDIT: Checked on vgp.ca, still set for Oct. 11. Whew

Thanks for the OT

It's no longer releasing in october for NA? Noooooooooooo...

Oh crap, sorry, I was working on the OP when we just had placeholder dates. The game releases on October 11 in NA.

Worth noting that there's slight issues with the game's translation. Issues that the translators are aware of and will try to get sorted out with PQube via patch

Saw the one hour video and it seems one or two things slipped past QC for Valkyrie Drive. We didn't have context for most of the UI stuff so some things look a teeny bit awkward.
"Times Defeated" should be "Enemies Slayed" now we know the context proper.
Same with "Defeat Bonus", that would be better as "Slain Bonus"
Reward Acquired -> Money
Confirm Allocation -> Confirm
Obtain the fragments -> Obtain the fragment

Plus in the combat tutorial about combos there were originally little arrows (→) that've now mysteriously vanished...

I'll get on to them about these little things and hopefully they can patch in a little fix or something.
That aside, I really hope you guys enjoy the Valkyrie Drive release, it was a lot of fun translating it and I'm super stoked to see it all in action tomorrow. Hopefully you'll find reading the script just as entertaining as it was writing it, and I'm looking forward to bringing more titles over with PQube in the future. The company has a lot of love for the Vita, and they've definitely got some interesting titles in their sights.

Yeah there appear to be a few errors, we're working on making sure we have them all so we can look at getting them patched.

Appreciate the support, hope you guys enjoy the game in the meantime!

Source

chrono01

Thanks for the OT!

It's a shame that the NA version was delayed. I just had to go for the Liberator's Edition too, which means an even longer wait (due to delivery time). :(

Oh well, it'll be worth it!

How is this from a gameplay perspective? I don't mind dumb perv games, but I'm pretty burned out on the Senran Kagura Versus gameplay loop

Personally I think this game has the best gameplay out of a Takaki game. Meteorise took a fighting game-like approach to the combat and thus, it has a lot of more depth than SV or EV.

As I mentioned on the OT, the different drive levels allow the characters to have movesets that actually grow and evolve. And while ultimately the combos are based simply on the pressing of two buttons, the timing is pretty important since each combo branch has different properties. Here is a look at the way the movesets evolve for all the characters in the game

The base ones at least, that chart is missing the DLC character.

Unlike SK this game has a bigger focus on ground combat, the phantom mechanics while pretty entertaining to see and combine, are mostly used to raise your attack with their boosts.

The enemy variety is pretty good and the huge robotic bosses serve to break the routine of fighting all the other girls as bosses. However, if there's a glaring flaw in this game is that the battle system is too stacked in the player's side, making it really easy for the most part. In your first playthrough you will struggle a little but as soon you get the hang of the combat, you will obliterate anything on your wake.

Luckily, the end bosses and the super bosses found on Survival and Challenge modes are quite difficult, alleviating somewhat this flaw.

Still on the fence about this so I'm lookin' forward to some impressions here.

How is this from a gameplay perspective? I don't mind dumb perv games, but I'm pretty burned out on the Senran Kagura Versus gameplay loop

I've played the Japanese import and it can definitely be thought of as a faster, deeper version of core Senran Kagura gameplay. It also feels more fluid, avoiding the stop/start motion of Estival Versus. That said, the game itself is a little different, and you don't just fight other girls like you, or mobs of pleebs - the giant mech element definitely changes things.

My full look at the game (through an importer's eyes) can be found here if you're interested, but the bottom line is that this game feels like Senran Kagura should feel. So if you've played Senran and thought you'd like it more if the gameplay was quicker and more fluid, then this one's for you.

Hey , an OT . i guess i am reminded that i need to purchase this game ASAP.

Will be right back.

Wait ..out of stock on amazon in my region ? WTF

Ok, here's more stuff I believe is important everyone knows before fully jumping on the game:

Rack Rank unlocks

1: An image of the character can be bought at the store
20 Heartcatcher minigame unlocked (Square->Triangle in communication room, uses tickets)
25 Heartcatcher ticket
30 Heartcatcher ticket
35 Heartcatcher ticket
40 An alternate color of the character's clothes can be bought at the store.
45 Heartcatcher ticket
50 Heartcatcher ticket
55 Heartcatcher ticket
60 Unlock: Character's hairstyle can be used on all other characters
65 Heartcatcher ticket
70 Heartcatcher ticket
75 Heartcatcher ticket
80 Unlock: Character's hair color can be used on all other characters
85 Heartcatcher ticket
90 Heartcatcher ticket
95 Heartcatcher ticket
100 Madly in love mode unlocked (Communication room, get a perfect during the heartcatcher minigame to see it)
105 Heartcatcher ticket
110 Heartcatcher ticket
120 Underwear decorated with a chibi image of the character and her name can be bought at the store

Survival and challenge modes
Survival is akin to DMC's Bloody Palace. You're set in a circular arena and then the game unleashes wave after wave of enemies against you. There are five different Survival arenas and they go all the way from ten enemy waves to 100. Every ten waves you will be facing a "super boss". The healing potions come quite handy in here.

Challenge mode are small stages where the game asks you you have to realize specific actions to succeed. Just like Survival, there are five levels Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, Summit, and Hell. The challenges on Beginner to Advanced are mostly there to teach you all about the gameplay: realize four Phantom Dance on a Row, travel through the stage within the time limit, that kind of stuff. Summit and Hell host boss fights against all the game's bosses but in their juiced up versions. And let me tell you, they're quite challenging.

Training Mode
If you've played SK2 training mode then you know what to expect. As a curiosity, the game's bigger flaw is how easy it is at times. So I filled the training stage with high tier enemies to test the AI and I got butchered. Is quite baffling.

Giant Robot Bosses
The best way to tak them out is to destroy the blue cores found on different parts of their bodies, usually on their joints, body and face. However, there is a special core that is a lot more resilient and isn't covered by their armor. Destroying this core also takes another three cores with it and it should be your priority if you're after the "Destroy all the cores" trophy.

Now I'll list the position of the core and what cores it destroys

Turtle Robot
In the little head present on its tail. Destroying it destroys the two shoulder cores and the chest one

Tiger Robot
Inside its mouth. Destroying it destroys the two cores on its front legs and the one on its chest.

Dragon Robot
Inside its mouth. Destroying it destroys the two cores on its front legs and the one on its chest.

Phoenix Robot
On its tail. Destroying it destroys the two cores on its wings and the one on its chest.

2 hours in. Gameplay is best of a Takaki game of what I've played, plot and characterisation nowhere near as engaging as Senran Kagura.

The OST is fantastic, however.

I'm really curious how big the difference between standard and the HQ sound pack is. If anyone has a comparison video or heard it for themselves, please share

I'm curious, anyone with the game could check if the girl's ages are listed on their bios at the collection room?

Also, I've heard rumors that the giant robot bosses were modified on the EU version. In the japanese version you could see a
girl
fly away when you destroyed their cores and seemingly this was removed on the EU version.

EDIT

Thank god we got actual confirmation of the DLC chars coming to the west

https://twitter.com/PQubeGames/status/782289312826130432

Worth noting that there's slight issues with the game's translation. Issues that the translators are aware of and will try to get sorted out with PQube via patch

Source

I feel like there's a quote in here that's fairly big news, specifically:

Hopefully you'll find reading the script just as entertaining as it was writing it, and I'm looking forward to bringing more titles over with PQube in the future. The company has a lot of love for the Vita, and they've definitely got some interesting titles in their sights.

PQube the Vita MVP in its final years.

I had this game pre ordered but cancelled it as I'd already spent a lot on games this month. But y'know, think I'll just order it again, it's going cheap and I should really support publishers pulling through like this!

Tohsaka

I'm curious, anyone with the game could check if the girl's ages are listed on their bios at the collection room?

Also, I've heard rumors that the giant robot bosses were modified on the EU version. In the japanese version you could see a
girl
fly away when you destroyed their cores and seemingly this was removed on the EU version.

EDIT

Thank god we got actual confirmation of the DLC chars coming to the west

https://twitter.com/PQubeGames/status/782289312826130432

The guy who posted about that on GameFAQs said he was mistaken and it's still there.

I'm curious too. I heard they left them in and that might be the reason for the non-rating in Germany

I had this game pre ordered but cancelled it as I'd already spent a lot on games this month. But y'know, think I'll just order it again, it's going cheap and I should really support publishers pulling through like this!
Can't complain about the games not coming if you don't buy the ones that do!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Wonder how long it'll take the US to get those DLC characters.

I'm curious too. I heard they left them in and that might be the reason for the non-rating in Germany
Wow, really? Surprised they did that considering Xseed felt that was the best way to get away with most of the SK stuff. That certainly could be the cause for some trouble in other countries. Hell, I recall DoA Dimensions on 3DS was banned in Sweden, Denmark, & Norway despite being the first DoA in a while to be rated T.

Wonder how long it'll take the US to get those DLC characters.

Wow, really? Surprised they did that considering Xseed felt that was the best way to get away with most of the SK stuff. That certainly could be the cause for some trouble in other countries. Hell, I recall DoA Dimensions on 3DS was banned in Sweden, Denmark, & Norway despite being the first DoA in a while to be rated T.
It's just some speculation I've read, but if the ages are in there it's easy to put 2 and 2 together. At least those other places don't have their own rating system so it might slip under their radar :p

18-Volt

Watched some gameplay videos and this is definitely better than SK games in every aspect. Responsive combos, better visuals, better character design and stable framerate. Takaki, please ditch Tamsoft and never work with them again.

Getting this the second it hits NA PSN.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Does this game have any nudity?
Not really, Japanese games that get rated for consoles are not allowed to have any frontal nudity (most you will likely get is 80% of an ass, with censor bars or chibi faces covering the "good" bits) due to CERO regulations. This even includes western games like God of War or Witcher that have nudity in them to be altered/changed/removed in order to get rid of the nudity.

bryt

Not really, Japanese games that get rated for consoles are not allowed to have any frontal nudity (most you will likely get is 80% of an ass, with censor bars or chibi faces covering the "good" bits) due to CERO regulations. This even includes western games like God of War or Witcher that have nudity in them to be altered/changed/removed in order to get rid of the nudity.

Thanks. Good to know.

N° 2048

Playing Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus and I just came across the chibi faces covering the 'good' bits last night. I laughed so hard.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Not sure if you played Senran Kagura (same creator), but it's going to be among those lines. It's all about the "teasing".

........NOW THE ANIME THIS WAS BASED ON, HOOOOOOOO BOY.....

Playing Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus and I just came across the chibi faces covering the 'good' bits last night. I laughed so hard.
Kind of a bummer that in Estival Versus, they just used the light bar censor for the boobs which isn't as funny. I think VD uses the light bar if I recall from the trailer.

Can't complain about the games not coming if you don't buy the ones that do!

Depends what kind of games you want :p

It's a strange one. Although it's obvious that if you want Uppers in the West you have to buy this one given the producer, I feel they're different enough (this one going for heavy fanservice; Uppers dabbling with it but focusing on a different style of brawling) that you would just be buying it to send a message.

Anyway, what I wanted is more SciAdv stuff, which I don't think is dependent on this game.

But this is getting off topic! I'll order the game when I get home on Sunday :p

There is a curious thing going here regarding nudity. Like in SV the naughty bits are covered by censoring lights, however due the motion of the characters you can see in certain angle a double layer of censoring. In this case, flowers underneath the lights.

No birth year or age mentioned.

I figured that much, thanks.

What are all the weapon types?

Broadsword that turns into a Katana

A pair of huge ass gauntlets

Bow and arrows (according to Mana's bio, the arrows are strands of hair)

Twin Giant Cleavers

Spear

One hand sword and handgun combo

Rapier

Fantasy sword that turns into a ligth broadsword for the DLC char.

I never even heard of this. Looks interesting.

Q. Does Gamestop/BestBuy carry this game?
A. In the west the game is only carried over by Amazon on the US and Video Game Plus in Canada.

Gamestop is not even going to carry this?

Top Bottom