• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Make sure your HDMI cable is plugged in all the way, also try using a different HDMI cable if you have one available.

No go. Skipping the VR box and plugging straight into my receiver eliminates the problem... probably a bad sign :/

Skipping the surround sound and going straight into the TV also eliminates the intermittent audio interruptions. Of course, that also eliminates my surround sound. Maybe a setting somewhere. Oh well. I'm going back in.

Impressions: it works. Tracking is suspect at times. London Heist was a bit shaky. Also, during the gun fight behind the desk, it kept repositioning the screen for me. I'd lean forward, the camera would zoom out to reset my position. I'd stand up to shoot over the desk and it would reset me to the seated position. Kinda weird. Also had a problem with the Until Dawn demo twisting my model's wrists to like a 45 degree angle making it crazy hard to aim. Didn't realize until after the demo that I was facing way off to the right which probably had something to do with it.

Games:

Rez - played the demo. It was pretty cool. About what you'd think it was.

London Heist - pretty damn cool aside from the tracking problems I had. This was the first thing I tried so that may have contributes to the issues. The van ride shootout was pretty intense.

Playroom - THE PLATFORMER! If you're at all interested in platformers, this is a must-play. Sony better have one of their first party studios working on a full platformer for PSVR or I'm going to be pissed.

Maligna

Banned
My only issue so far is that what I'm seeing in my vision is slightly tilted. Like I'm tilting my head, but I'm not.

What's the best way to fix that?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Can you play the Rush of Blood demo with Move controllers?

eroze

Neo Member
Sitting at work thinking about what games to remotely download.

Definitely getting Rez, Thumper, and Batman so far.

I purchased my PS Move controllers used from Gamestop and it didn't include the mini USB wire needed to charge them so I'm screwed on that part for the time being.

Is it normal for the camera colors to be inverted when it's showing you where to position your head? I have no idea why it's doing that.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has used PSVR with their children. I'm thinking of picking it up (again... after cancelling my pre-order), but I'd rather not get it if it'll only be usable by me.

My kids are 10 and 4, but it is really only the 10 year old that I'm concerned about. The 4 year old wouldn't pay attention long enough anyways.

Got my eight-year old kid to play it rather significantly. She played it for maybe 30 minutes or even more (Playroom VR mostly). I asked her ever 10 minutes if she felt sick, or wanted to puke. She said no and continued on.

I had to maker her stop and go to bed, etc. but she definitely didn't feel sick. I'd say it depends on the game.

Tried EVE: Valkryie and I felt my stomach lurch! Oh, man! But I got used to it. Have my camera on the top of the TV (65-inch), sitting in on the couch with a distance of 4-5 feet with no issues with tracking whatsoever. :)

Rigs is the first game to make me really feel nauseous in VR. Battlezone demo wasn't great for me either. Game is fun though.

Driveclub gave me no problems.

ymgve

My VR lens keeps getting foggy after a couple of seconds with the device on my head. Is there a way to get rid of it?

Try to pull the lenses one step out with the button on the lower right. Also it gets better, not sure it was because the headset heated up to room temperature or just because I had relaxed for a bit, but I don't have any fog issues now.

cruets

my launch bundle is out for delivery but my wife is pissed how much it cost. i'm gonna have to return it. its not gonna be fun to play with a pissed off wife ready to kitchen you while you play.

Chorazin

I've been in gaming a long time. 30 years. I know what success looks like.

Standing in line freezing my balls off for a Wii and not getting one is what success looks like.

Oh, you mean before people could really order almost anything they wanted online?

And they still had stock, during the morning of a work day? It's almost like if you have $500 laying around for a PSVR you'd need to work during the day!

Plasma

Banned
Anyone else having trouble calibrating Arkham VR? I can either get the tick for the bat symbol or the one for the headset but not both. It just seems if I get the bat symbol lined up then where it thinks the headset should be is way to high. I tried skipping it but in game I'm just too close to the piano and can't grab what Alfred is trying to give to me.

With VR worlds the calibration was fine I'm not sure what's going on with this one.

muteki

..wait a minute, why can't I use my PS Gold wireless headset with VR? What the hell is going on?

Believe you can, but you want to to connect directly to the headphone jack on the headset.

Getting audio any other way doesn't make sense for VR.

My firsts two hours of VR and it was like others have said, like playing Mario 64 the first time. Can't wait to show people. I've had great tracking except for an adjustment or two in Playroom. I've had no fogging and the headset is comfortable except I like it really tight and that bothers my forehead a bit after extended play. After a couple of hours I have to come up for air for awhile. Love it but don't want to blow my load all at once.
Amazing work on this Sony.
One thing that does SUCK is my set up. Playing my games on a projector for 15 years has been incredible but now it makes it so hard to find a good home for the camera and the entire rig. My game room is a mess right now lugging another couch in the room and rigging up the camera in an odd spot.
Oh well. I have PSVR!

Edit: Oh and I can see I'm going to have to get my VR legs. Nothing major but a few movements in that platform game made my head spin briefly. For someone who's had vertigo multiple times in his life I'd say my first two hours were a success.

Picked mine up this morning and am having a blast. So far like it more than the Vive demo I tried at MicroCenter. The only demo I haven't liked is Drive Club. It started out awesome but started getting motion sickness before the end of the first race and could tell I was headed toward puke city. Also the video with the giant within is fucking terrifying for some reason.

TheMan

Oh my fucking god! I've finished Batman: Arkham VR and I think this is by far the best VR experience I had until now. The immersion is unbelievable, the graphics are REALLY good and you are batman! yes, really!

It's more like an adventure, but I loved every second of it. There were some really great scenes with shocking moments, some nice riddles and cool, but short, story. It took me 47 minutes to finish the game. But I don't regret a single cent spent on this game.

Everyone who has a PlayStation VR must play this.

47 minutes?? That's insane.

Purexed

Banned
Strolled into Best Buy and picked up the Launch bundle, they had 3 of both just sitting there roughly 90 minutes after opening here in Los Angeles.

Hope it does well so the software keeps coming.

opie211

Did anyone that pre-ordered the digital edition of "Here they Lie" on Amazon actually get their code yet? Mine still says pending verification. Wondering how long it will be .

I see I could buy the game instantly now. Last time i pre-order anything digitally at Amazon.

YuShtink

Love hearing those first VR impressions from people. It's really exciting that a lot more eyes are finally being opened to the magic of modern VR and I hope all of this continues to snowball because if it does the near future is going to be CRAZY people.

PBY

Banned
Picked mine up this morning and am having a blast. So far like it more than the Vive demo I tried at MicroCenter. The only demo I haven't liked is Drive Club. It started out awesome but started getting motion sickness before the end of the first race and could tell I was headed toward puke city. Also the video with the giant within is fucking terrifying for some reason.

Based on the GB stream, Driveclub seems like the hottest mess of the bunch, I'd prob stay away and go with other games.

JetBlackPanda

Gold Member
Giant bomb is not having tracking issues today and they confirmed they moved the Camera below the TV and moved the couch a little closer.

Can anyone explain the 12 year age limit? I have a 6 year old niece who would love this. Would it be okay for short bursts?

From everything I've read, there haven't been enough studies to understand how exposing a child to VR impacts their vision or cognition, so the "don't use if under 12" thing is a blanket lawsuit-avoidance disclaimer in case hard evidence that VR impacts someone with a developing vision system does appear in the future.

Here's a short article with some info:
http://www.digitaltrends.com/virtual-reality/is-vr-safe-for-kids-we-asked-the-experts/

Basically, it's a "try at your own risk", I'd make sure your niece's parents were cool with it first, and short sessions with breaks in-between are a good idea.

mfsteve

Neo Member
I know I should go directly to Sony support, but I think I'll just try here first in case anyone has some great ideas.

I set up my PSVR and everything is working great! Cinema mode works, everything was updated, I played Uncharted 4 through the PSVR, everything is smooth.

However, the moment I try to launch a PSVR games (PS VR worlds, Playroom, the Demo Disk), the TV goes blank, and I get an error symbol in the headset that basically has an X followed by a box labelled HDMI (So as if to say, no HDMI cable).

Has anyone ever encountered this or heard of this happening? I feel like my PU might be a lemon :(

I'm having the exact same problem. After spending hours troubleshooting myself and with a Sony rep over the phone, it looks like I need a new processing unit so I suspect you'll need one too. Sony's quoting me 7-10 days to get the new unit, which sucks since I waited hours in line to get one at Best Buy last night and it's still easily available for next day on shipping on Amazon right now.

Try to pull the lenses one step out with the button on the lower right. Also it gets better, not sure it was because the headset heated up to room temperature or just because I had relaxed for a bit, but I don't have any fog issues now.
Thanks. Yeah it's much better now.

Also, does anyone know how to center the screen? After a while it drifts to the left and I'm trying to fix it.

Bwahaha. Aw. Poor guy.

7hqu4jd0w8rx.gif
lmao! At least he tried.

Rigs is the first game to make me really feel nauseous in VR. Battlezone demo wasn't great for me either. Game is fun though.

Driveclub gave me no problems.

Rez made me nearly fall out of my chair, twice.

Thanks. Yeah it's much better now.

Also, does anyone know how to center the screen? After a while it drifts to the left and I'm trying to fix it.

Try to push the Start button or whatever on the PS4 controller? I don't know if it's for everything, but it centers the screen for me at the Home Screen or in Playroom VR.

Rez made me nearly fall out of my chair, twice.

Try to push the Start button or whatever on the PS4 controller? I don't know if it's for everything, but it centers the screen for me at the Home Screen or in Playroom VR.
Awesome thanks! That fixed it.

After playing Kitchen I don't know how I can play Resident Evil 7 with VR now. That was super scary for me.

I went to Best Buy at noon today. They had VR bundles and non-bundles. Plenty of games. Absolutely no interest from anyone other than me. I was the only person looking at the stuff.

Afterwards I went to Wal-mart. They had Playstation VR stuff in the electronics section. Again, I was the only person looking at it.

This thing is going to bomb hard. Nobody knows it exists and once they see the price will get a PS4 Pro/Xbox One S instead.

Great post!

Carl

I went to Best Buy at noon today. They had VR bundles and non-bundles. Plenty of games. Absolutely no interest from anyone other than me. I was the only person looking at the stuff.

Afterwards I went to Wal-mart. They had Playstation VR stuff in the electronics section. Again, I was the only person looking at it.

This thing is going to bomb hard. Nobody knows it exists and once they see the price will get a PS4 Pro/Xbox One S instead.

Thanks for letting us know

Have there been any impressions from people here who also have a Vive and/or Rift? Trying to figure out if it is worth picking up.

I'm a VR dev who has a Rift and Vive at home and use OculusTouch every day at my work. Had only tried PSVR a couple of times at conferences, but picked one up last night because -- research!

Set it up this morning, played some Rez, VR Playroom, and the tutorial for Rigs.

I enjoyed my session this morning and like the build of the hmd, but my general take on it if you already have a Rift or Vive is that PSVR is only worth it for the exclusives, and for eventual PS+ deals if you are a PS+ member. For me, Rez and Rigs are must plays. A lot of the other releases will be on Oculus store and/ or Steam at some point next year.

Having access to all three, I'd rather purchase and play something on Rift or Vive over PSVR, for better tracking, options, framerates, etc, but it's still an awesome piece of kit and I hope Sony keeps up the awesome first and second party support!

Shikoba

Here is a list of games and which controllers they use in case anyone needs it.

100ft Robot Golf - DS4
Ace Banana - Move
Batman Arkham VR - DS4 / Move
Battlezone - DS4
Bound - DS4
Catlateral Damage - DS4
DriveClub VR - DS4 / Steering Wheel Controllers
Eagle Flight - PSVR
Eve Valkyrie - DS4
Gnog - DS4
Gunjack - DS4
Harmonix Music VR - Move
Hatsune Miku VR - Move
Headmaster - DS4
Here They Lie - DS4
Hustle Kings VR - DS4 / Move
Job Simulator - Move
Keep Talking... - DS4
Loading Human - DS4
VEV - DS4
Volume - DS4
VR Demo Disc - DS4 / Move
VR Worlds - DS4 / Move
Rez Infinite - DS4 / Move
Rigs - DS4
Rise of The Tomb... - DS4
Superhypercube - DS4
The Assembly - DS4
The Brookhaven... - Move
The Playroom VR - DS4
Thumper - DS4
Tumble VR - DS4 / Move
Until Dawn: Rush... - DS4 / Move
Waddle Home - DS4 / Move
Wayward Sky - DS4 / Move
World War Toons - DS4

Sorry if this has been mentioned before but do blacks appear grey for anyone else when in game? Was expecting a lot better from an OLED screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom