• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RIP United Front Games

EGM1966

Damn shame. Liked their games and in particular felt modnation racers was under appreciated. Editor was God tier in that and myself and kids made endless tracks.

Hope everyone affected finds new roles swiftly and safely.

Damn shame. Liked their games and in particular felt modnation racers was under appreciated. Editor was God tier in that and myself and kids made endless tracks.

Hope everyone affected finds new roles swiftly and safely.

I liked the track creator in ModNation, but didn't really like the handling and couldn't get over the loading times. It felt like it needed another six months in the oven to me.

LittleBigPlanet Karting was a little better from what I played of the beta (especially the handling), but I never really had any interest in the full release.

Lijik

Does this mean Smash n' Grab isn't happening anymore? Liked the look of that one...
the servers are still up for now at least, but who knows how long they'll stay up.

I doubt itll happen but i hope they remove the need to connect to the servers so at least people with the game can still play the bot matches

I'll never be a whole man.

Sleeping Dogs is one of my favourite games ever and this news saddens me immensely - hope everyone can find new employment quickly.

q4roel

Sleeping Dogs was a game I enjoyed more than any GTA, and it was in my top 10 overall of last gen. The dream is dead.

Lime

consolidation y'all

Thank you for Sleeping Dogs, UFG. I'm sad we never got the female protagonist that Activision shut down, but Wei Shen was still an amazing character and the game had so much 'heart' that it's one of the most interesting open-world games I've played.

Labadal

They made some cool games. Sleeping Dogs was great.

Modnation Racers and Littl Big Karting had some flaws but in 4 player local co-op, they shone.

I hope people land on their feet.

Gilby

It's funny how people keep going on about Sleeping Dogs and not about our new (and IMO better) game. Smash + Grab was a really original and fun concept that still had some hitches in execution but they were hoping Early Access would give them the time/funds to fix (I've clocked well over 1000 hours and still found myself yelling profanities when I died).

Unfortunately people were too busy with Battlefield#15 and talking about COD#22 :/

I'm a little bitter, the studio was a wonderful refuge from the crappy mobile/AAA swamp most of the rest of the industry has become. Full of wonderful people (management included).

People here always talk about how they want original games from bigger studios, but unless you've got a gigantic marketing budget and a corporate presenter talking about it on stage no one cares.

I hope the best for everyone else who worked there, I know the city is full of other hopeful-employees right now (what with Roadhouse recently closing) but everyone there was outstanding and I'm sure they'll find employment soon.

(sorry if this is a little moody, I'm still kinda drunk)

prudislav

modnations and Sleeping Dogs were amazing , toobad that after that they started to try to follow certain trends that i dont like and were late to the party anyway

Karu

Just bought Sleeping Dogs for a premium of 30bucks. Never played it, but as a fan of games like GTA and even Watch_Dogs, this should be good. Bummer about the studio tho, don't think I ever played one of their games before (but looking at wikipedia they don't seem to have released something stand-alone/new since... well SD. If SD is as good as everybody says, that's fucked. But what can you do if you're part of the infamous "MILLIONS OF SALES? LOL FUCK OFF"-trio by Square... -.-)

MaLDo

It's funny how people keep going on about Sleeping Dogs and not about our new (and IMO better) game. Smash + Grab was a really original and fun concept that still had some hitches in execution but they were hoping Early Access would give them the time/funds to fix (I've clocked well over 1000 hours and still found myself yelling profanities when I died).

Unfortunately people were too busy with Battlefield#15 and talking about COD#22 :/

I'm a little bitter, the studio was a wonderful refuge from the crappy mobile/AAA swamp most of the rest of the industry has become. Full of wonderful people (management included).

People here always talk about how they want original games from bigger studios, but unless you've got a gigantic marketing budget and a corporate presenter talking about it on stage no one cares.

I hope the best for everyone else who worked there, I know the city is full of other hopeful-employees right now (what with Roadhouse recently closing) but everyone there was outstanding and I'm sure they'll find employment soon.

You can't say that about "crappy mobile swamp most of the rest of the industry has become" after seeing what Triad Wars was.

And people talk about Sleeping Dogs over Smash + Grab because Sleeping Dogs was a fucking AWESOME game in every aspect (for me :p).

Jacknapes

Damn, Sleeping Dogs was one of the better games they made. Loved the game, it's a shame the studio has to close. Damn, hope everyone finds their feet soon.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I guess they never had enough funds (and support from S-E) to make a proper sequel to Sleeping Dogs. Such a shame, one of my favorite sandbox games of last-gen.

Dominator

Sleeping Dogs is in my top 10 games of last gen... That game is so good, I love everything about it.

Once I finished it I dreamed of a sequel :(

Good luck to everyone from UFG now looking for work. You're a talented bunch and I'm sure will land on your feet.

I mean, the truth is that the majority of the forum have not played Smash & Grab, and even if it had released as a finished product, still most of us wouldn't care - as we're not generally a forum that cares about F2P games. Sleeping Dogs on the other hand released on five (?) platforms and many of us have played and loved it.

The problem is that people are saturated with MP games right now. They either have their MOBAs, TF2, CS:Go or Overwatch (or Paladins for people not wanting to pay for OW).
It doesnt even matter how great that game actually is if people have one or two MP-titles they play, they wont play a third one.

And if you want to release a new MP game, you need a huge marketing budget or hope that it will be an "Indie-hit" like Chivalry was.

RangerX

Banned
I hadn't played any of their games but its really sad to see any developer go out of business. I hope they all find some other jobs soon.

Lime

How long left for Eidos Montreal? Square are awful at managing studios

UFG wasn't owned by Square Enix. SE just picked up True Crime Hong Kong after Activision dumped the project and UFG turned it into Sleeping Dogs.

Off-topic: Rregarding Eidos Montreal I think they don't have the talent and capacity to make competitive AAA games

diamount

Banned
Then maybe not greenlighting a proper sequel was denying them a bigger success and therefore more money.

Directly or indirectly, squeenix decided their fate.

Sorry, but that is an ignorant statement to make. Sleeping Dogs did not set the world on fire in terms of sales and with how saturated open-world games have become, they probably thought the risk was too much. Say they went ahead anyway, and the contract stipulated the game must sell x amount of copies so they get bonus payments, that could mean the difference between going bankrupt or staying afloat. They could've gone under far earlier if that was the case.

Top Bottom