• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Pixel (OT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OYjVMCp.png

Tech Specs

Pixel XL

NETWORK

Technology GSM / CDMA / HSPA / EVDO / LTE
LAUNCH
Announced 2016, October
Status Available. Released 2016, October
BODY
Dimensions 154.7 x 75.7 x 8.5 mm (6.09 x 2.98 x 0.33 in)
Weight 168 g (5.93 oz)
SIM Nano-SIM
- Splash and dust resistant

DISPLAY

Type AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
Size 5.5 inches (~71.2% screen-to-body ratio)
Resolution 1440 x 2560 pixels (~534 ppi pixel density)
Multitouch Yes
Protection Corning Gorilla Glass 4

PLATFORM

OS Android OS, v7.1 (Nougat)
Chipset Qualcomm MSM8996 Snapdragon 821
CPU Quad-core (2x2.15 GHz Kryo & 2x1.6 GHz Kryo)
GPU Adreno 530

MEMORY

Card slot No
Internal 32/128 GB, 4 GB RAM

CAMERA

Primary 12.3 MP, f/2.0, phase detection & laser autofocus, dual-LED (dual tone) flash
Features 1/2.3" sensor size, 1.55µm pixel size, geo-tagging, touch focus, face detection, HDR, panorama
Video 2160p@30fps, 1080p@30/60/120fps, 720p@240fps
Secondary 8 MP, f/2.4, 1/3.2" sensor size, 1.4 µm pixel size, 1080p

SOUND

Alert types Vibration; MP3, WAV ringtones
Loudspeaker Yes
3.5mm jack Yes
- Active noise cancellation with dedicated mic

COMMS

WLAN Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, DLNA, hotspot
Bluetooth v4.2, A2DP, LE
GPS Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS
NFC Yes
Radio No
USB v3.0, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector
FEATURES
Sensors Fingerprint, accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer
Messaging SMS(threaded view), MMS, Email, Push Mail, IM
Browser HTML5
Java No
- Fast battery charging
- MP4/H.264 player
- MP3/WAV/eAAC+ player
- Photo/video editor
- Document editor

BATTERY

Non-removable Li-Ion 3450 mAh battery
Stand-by Up to 552 h (3G)
Talk time Up to 32 h (3G)
Music play Up to 130 h

COLORS

Quite Black, Very Silver, Really Blue

Pixel

NETWORK

Technology GSM / CDMA / HSPA / EVDO / LTE

LAUNCH

Announced 2016, October
Status Available. Released 2016, October
BODY
Dimensions 143.8 x 69.5 x 8.5 mm (5.66 x 2.74 x 0.33 in)
Weight 143 g (5.04 oz)
SIM Nano-SIM
- Splash and dust resistant

DISPLAY

Type AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
Size 5.0 inches (~69.0% screen-to-body ratio)
Resolution 1080 x 1920 pixels (~441 ppi pixel density)
Multitouch Yes
Protection Corning Gorilla Glass 4

PLATFORM

OS Android OS, v7.1 (Nougat)
Chipset Qualcomm MSM8996 Snapdragon 821
CPU Quad-core (2x2.15 GHz Kryo & 2x1.6 GHz Kryo)
GPU Adreno 530

MEMORY

Card slot No
Internal 32/128 GB, 4 GB RAM

CAMERA

Primary 12.3 MP, f/2.0, phase detection & laser autofocus, dual-LED (dual tone) flash
Features 1/2.3" sensor size, 1.55µm pixel size, geo-tagging, touch focus, face detection, HDR, panorama
Video 2160p@30fps, 1080p@30/60/120fps, 720p@240fps
Secondary 8 MP, f/2.4, 1/3.2" sensor size, 1.4 µm pixel size, 1080p

SOUND

Alert types Vibration; MP3, WAV ringtones
Loudspeaker Yes
3.5mm jack Yes
- Active noise cancellation with dedicated mic

COMMS

WLAN Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, DLNA, hotspot
Bluetooth v4.2, A2DP, LE
GPS Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS
NFC Yes
Radio No
USB v3.0, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector
FEATURES
Sensors Fingerprint, accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer
Messaging SMS(threaded view), MMS, Email, Push Mail, IM
Browser HTML5
Java No
- Fast battery charging
- MP4/H.264 player
- MP3/WAV/eAAC+ player
- Photo/video editor
- Document editor

BATTERY

Non-removable Li-Ion 2770 mAh battery
Stand-by Up to 456 h (3G)
Talk time Up to 26 h (3G)
Music play Up to 110 h

COLORS

Quite Black, Very Silver, Really Blue

Camera review

DXOMARK said:

Videos

The Verge said:

MKBHD said:

Mr Mobile said:

Buy

GAF review thread

FZZ

Banned
OP add the .png to the end of your image

its broken rn

edit: nvm you got it b

sister is getting this phone, will be interesting to see how it works and if it lives up to the hype

kuYuri

Haven't really been one to pay attention to phones, but this looks really slick and very iphone like. I like it.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
WTF? I just bought a Nexus 6P last week! This is such bullshit!

WTF? I just bought a Nexus 6P last week! This is such bullshit!

that's still a great phone and probably half the price of the pixel.

my XL arrived yesterday and it's been pretty good so far. i upgraded from a nexus 6 and this feels a lot snappier. it also feels way better in my hand. holy shit was the 6 a chunky beast.

olimpia84

I'm tempted to get this before my vacation next week just because of having a good camera to shoot pics.
I think I read that getting this phone through Verizon will be fine as in updates and such won't be delayed like with other phones is that correct?

I'm tempted to get this before my vacation next week just because of having a good camera to shoot pics.
I think I read that getting this phone through Verizon will be fine as in updates and such won't be delayed like with other phones is that correct?

that is what Verizon is claiming. im obviously skeptical of them but there isn't much incentive for them to lie about it.

JMizzlin

Upgraded from an HTC One M9 to a 128gb Quite Black XL.

Best phone I've ever used. Dat OLED, dat camera, dat processor. I love it too much. I'm not a phone enthusiast, hence why I'm so impressed, but it really is a great device.

Sony

Nintendo
Nice phone. The blue one is ugly as sin though. I wonder how much of the experience the Pixel is praised for is tied to its main launcher. I think that installing another launcher will kill the efficiencies that make this phone snappy.

I received my PixelXL yesterday. I replaced a Samsung Galaxy S5. I'm not a huge phone person so I'm probably not the best for impressions. All I can say is that it has much better screen and camera and is WAY WAY smoother and faster. Also, fingerprint sensor works perfectly, something I gave up on quickly on the old Galaxy S5.

Had the 128GB XL for about 12 hours now, and love it. Huge step up from my Nexus 6. Phone and display are noticeably smaller, but the fingerprint scanner and incredible speed more than make up for it.

Got my XL 128 GB Silver yesterday. I've only had time to setup and transfer accounts. I haven't had too much time to play with. It really feels like an iPhone physically and with the responsiveness. The haptic feedback feels nice as well when typing.
Edit: RIP my Google Voice number. Now on Project Fi.

entremet

Nice to see Android fans get a premium phone. It was sorely missing. I'm an Apple guy, but i come in peace. Choice and competition is good.

HvySky

For those who have the 32gb, how much storage do you have once you take OS and preloaded apps out of the equation?

I just can't get over how ugly the bare chin and back were when I saw it in person yesterday at my Verizon store.

2016_10_20_11_33_41.jpg

2016_10_20_11_34_05.jpg

For Android, the Edge still has the edge in shell design.

Of course, that's all meaningless if you just slap a case on it.

i think it's kind of weird how much effort companies put into making their phones look nice. i mean, I get it they need something to look sexy or distinct in an ad. but you're crazy if you don't put your $800ish device in a case.

im actually super nervous right now since my case won't arrive until next week because google just now put them on sale.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
i think it's kind of weird how much effort companies put into making their phones look nice. i mean, I get it they need something to look sexy or distinct in an ad. but you're crazy if you don't put your $800ish device in a case.

im actually super nervous right now since my case won't arrive until next week because google just now put them on sale.

I've gone commando for the last four years, and don't ever expect that to change. There's nothing quite like a nude device.

The only device I've ever had in a case is my Kindle Paperwhite, and there it's not cause I wanted to protect it, but cause I wanted it to have a "cover" that'd put it to sleep, to make it more like a real book.

HvySky

it's about 7GB of 29 usable. so 22ish free.

Something close to 7-8 gigs is used up from the get go it looks like.

I think I'll opt for the 64gb, as I was thinking already. Thanks!

I just can't get over how ugly the bare chin and back were when I saw it in person yesterday at my Verizon store.

2016_10_20_11_33_41.jpg

2016_10_20_11_34_05.jpg

For Android, the Edge still has the edge in shell design.

Of course, that's all meaningless if you just slap a case on it.

Maybe I'm just crazy, but I actually really like the look of the Pixel.

ArchAngel

It's a shame Europe didn't get the blue one. Love that color :(

Well, 2. Pixel XL is on it's way, hope the display will be better this time. Exchanged the 6P 3 times because of shit displays.

Davey Cakes

As an iPhone 7 Plus user, I can honestly say the Pixel looks like a really sexy phone. If I wasn't so comfortable with the Apple ecosystem (on phones, anyway) then I'd very much consider Pixel as an alternative, even though I've never been thrilled with Android interfaces.

Issues with the shell design are mitigated by using a case, which I always do since we're dealing with $800 phones here. When Apple acted like Jet Black was some amazing new style I was like "it's a fingerprint magnet and I would just put it in a case anyway." Regular black with a black case is pretty much the way I'll be going in the future.

Initial thoughts on my new 128GB Pixel XL through Verizon:
--Phone feels sturdy and well-made, but much lighter and significantly smaller than the Nexus 6. Display is noticeably smaller than the N6, but not too much smaller.
--Miss the dual front facing speaker setup, but the single speaker on the back is impressive loud and clear.
--Entire experience is much faster and more responsive than the N6
--Camera is super-fast, and great quality so far
--Notification LED on the front! Not had one of those in ages!
--This is my first phone with a fingerprint scanner, and it’s blowing my mind. Love that I only need to scan my finger, and it’ll both wake up my phone AND unlock is all at once?! Glorious.
--Immediately uninstalled the three preinstalled Verizon apps, and no other signs of bloatware, so all that fearmongering was for nothing.

Klotera

Got mine yesterday. I actually quite like the looks of it in real life. I'm using the Spigen Neo Hybrid Crystal Clear case, which does a great job of showing the phone's looks off while still providing protection.

Really dig the Pixel but I kinda feel like it's a little too late in the game for me to switch over :(

The only thing that might make me switch is if somehow they could put text messaging in Hangouts so I can text on a browser

snacknuts

we all knew her
The only thing that might make me switch is if somehow they could put text messaging in Hangouts so I can text on a browser

You can set Hangouts as your default SMS app. I don't know about accessing your carrier texts via the web interface, but I give everyone my Google Voice number and I can send and receive SMS through my computer just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom