• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Moving from PS4 to PS4 Pro - what is the process?

Memnoch

You don't need to, but you can do. Do the kids use your account to play games or do they have their own? If they have their own then the machine they are using needs to be the primary to allow them to then use their own accounts. If that's not the case then Primary the pro as that's where remote downloads and remote play will target.
We have always used my accounts, but I suppose I could set up one new account for each of them in their names. So leave the og ps4 as primary and the pro as secondary correct?

Or I just leave them my accounts and then I get the trophies muahahahaha

And I will also be able to use the downloaded games on the pro?

Yes secondary accounts can play the games that were originally purchased on that account, but your kids couldn't then use your pro to play the games on their accounts as it's not the primary for the account that purchased the games.

We have always used my accounts, but I suppose I could set up one new account for each of them in their names. So leave the og ps4 as primary and the pro as secondary correct?

Yep if you go ahead and make them their own accounts, leave the OG as Primary

Can someone explain why just swapping HDDs wouldn't work? I understand you can't but I don't understand the technical reasons behind it.

Sony doesn't want anything slipping in to the system that's not vetted by themselves, by allowing a hard drive just to work after putting it in anything could be placed on it to hack open their software. By formatting the drive immediately they stop any chance of that happening.

chippy13

That's the way I have mine setup so my son can play my games. Works when I take my PS4 out of town for work as well as long as the hotel internet is working.

Can someone explain why just swapping HDDs wouldn't work? I understand you can't but I don't understand the technical reasons behind it.

Right now I have a 2TB HDD in my OG PS4, and the OG PS4 HDD laying around.

I am hoping to put the 2TB HDD in my PS4 Pro and put the OG HDD back in my OG PS4. I believe I understand the steps I need to take. This will leave me with an extra 1TB HDD from the PS4 Pro that I would not be using.

wagamer

I think we need simple and straightforward instructions in OP (or a dedicated thread) for both situations:

1) What to do when trading in (or selling) the console before receiving PS4 Pro.

2) What to do when I have both the original PS4 and PS4 Pro.

I think we need simple and straightforward instructions in OP (or a dedicated thread) for both situations:

1) What to do when trading in (or selling) the console before receiving PS4 Pro.

2) What to do when I have both the original PS4 and PS4 Pro.

I dunno I just feel that these are common sense answers

For situation 1 you have 2 options, either backup to a USB drive and restore, or download the lot again.

For situation 2 you have the same options as 1 but also the added option of running a transfer via Ethernet (most likely faster than a USB backup)

Sony doesn't want anything slipping in to the system that's not vetted by themselves, by allowing a hard drive just to work after putting it in anything could be placed on it to hack open their software. By formatting the drive immediately they stop any chance of that happening.

Thanks for breaking this part down. I'm still a bit confused then why an already PS4 formatted HDD could not be swapped into the PS4 Pro? I'm assuming the formatting is different for both?

Thanks for breaking this part down. I'm still a bit confused then why an already PS4 formatted HDD could not be swapped into the PS4 Pro? I'm assuming the formatting is different for both?

Because between taking it out the PS4 and putting in the Pro, who's to stop anyone hooking up to a laptop/PC and injecting some code somewhere? That's the reasoning why I assume.

Because between taking it out the PS4 and putting in the Pro, who's to stop anyone hooking up to a laptop/PC and injecting some code somewhere? That's the reasoning why I assume.

Ah I think I understand now. So the (re)formatting happens when it is in the system. Each time it moves out it needs to be (re)formatted to the new system not just (re)formatted to be PS4/Pro compatible.

Thanks for helping me understand. I'm going to take the time to outline if I understand the steps I need to take and I would appreciate, if you are still in the thread, if you could comment.

Wait, is the PS4 Pro 1TB HDD objectively better (faster loading times) than a 2TB HDD for the OG PS4? I know there was a thread on how a new type of HDD would now be possible with the PS4 Pro so I don't know if the PS4 Pro HDD uses some new technology that was not possible with a OG PS4 compatible HDD.

wagamer

I dunno I just feel that these are common sense answers

For situation 1 you have 2 options, either backup to a USB drive and restore, or download the lot again.

For situation 2 you have the same options as 1 but also the added option of running a transfer via Ethernet (most likely faster than a USB backup)

Sure it's simple enough, but I have a feeling these questions will be asked a LOT during the next week...

Kilau

Does anyone know if you have to use the same size drive to back up to?

Like I have a 1tb in my old PS4 (ssd) and I want to move that to the pro do I need a 1tb external or can I use a 500gb external (that's how much is on the ssd)?

Does anyone know if you have to use the same size drive to back up to?

Like I have a 1tb in my old PS4 (ssd) and I want to move that to the pro do I need a 1tb external or can I use a 500gb external (that's how much is on the ssd)?

Nope that's fine, as long as the target drive is the same or larger than the backup size there should be no problems.

LiK

No need to deactivate all systems on the site unless you no longer have access to the console. Just deactivate it on that specific console.

Disktrasa

Banned
Hm, i dont know how to do, have 2tb in my ps4 now, was thinking about swapping that to the pro and the 1tb from pro to ps4, the old ps4 goes to the bedroom.

But, maybe i should have 2tb in both, i think that would be the best thing to do, but i will not play that much in the bedroom, only when the livingroom is ocupied by others in the family.

Hm, decisions...

My plan:

1. Copy everything on my 2TB HDD to my 4TB External HDD
  2. Swap the HDD's from the PS4 to the PS4 Pro
  3. Restore my old content to my new PS4 Pro
  4. Reset my old PS4 back to factory settings
  5. Trade in my old PS4 to my local GameStop for €200 store credit, which I'll use to pick up some PSN credit.

I like this post. This is my exact plan, I mean to a tee. The lone exception is that I'll be selling my PS4 for $220 to my cousin in stead of selling it to GameStop.

I did a backup but not of all the games because it would have been almost 2TBs of data and I think it would be faster to just install and download all the updates of the games I usually play.

My priority was to keep P.T without having to go through the hassle of using the proxy method and backup titles like Batman AK Witcher 3, GTA V who have multiple DLCs and multiple patches to download.

It's a shame Sony didn't expand the PS4 Pro HDD bay to accommodate 2.5 inch laptop drives taller than 9.5mm. Or better yet support game installs on external drives.

SOLDIER

I was going to ask a similar question to this regarding backing up and restoring to the Pro.

So I've got an external USB HDD that I was using for my Xbox One. It's the same space as the 2TB drive on my PS4, so I plan to back up everything to the external drive and restore it on the Pro.

Just had a few questions to make sure I do everything correctly:

1. On the XB side, it says the saves I have for the games installed on the external drive are "internal". That means my saves are on the XB's internal drive, so I don't need to back them up or anything once I wipe the external drive, right?

2. Will backing up and restoring through the external drive to a complete 1:1 copy of my PS4's files and settings?

3. What is usually the estimated time from backing up and restoring 2TB? I want to make sure I've set aside the appropriate amount of time.

What would theoretically be faster, backing up to a USB HDD and then restoring that to the new PS4 or doing the Ethernet transfer method? I deleted most of my disc installs so I only have about ~300 GB worth of stuff.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
i have a 2tb drive in my old ps4 that i wanted to put in the pro, then i cant transfer my accounts tho, kinda sucks cause i have like 4 of them lol, hope i dont forget to deactivate my USA account that has like 100+ RB dlc songs.

BFIB

I uploaded all my saves to the cloud. Just need to reinstall the games and deactivate my current PS4.

alexbull_uk

I'm planning on backing up straight from my OG to the Pro via Ethernet. Probably got about 1TB of data to shift, so I can't imagine it will be a quick process.

Or I just leave them my accounts and then I get the trophies muahahahaha

if you keep the same account on both consoles how are cloud saves affected if at all? Sure I read somewhere that one could overwrite the other?

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
There are two ways to do the ethernet transfer:

1. Both consoles connected to the same wireless network with an ethernet cable running from PS4a to PS4b
2. Both consoles connected by LAN to the same router, but not to each other

I wonder if the transfer speed is different between the two methods?

Also, the ethernet transfer (either method, I assume) asks if you want to deactivate the old PS4 during the process, so you don't need to worry about when/how to do it manually.

im doing mine now (backup) i took up about 380gb of the 500gb its taken 2-3hours so for when i started it was 4 now with 96min left (probably just a floating estimate)

Wow. Ok. That's important to note.

1. Both consoles connected to the same wireless network with an ethernet cable running from PS4a to PS4b

Also, the ethernet transfer (either method, I assume) asks if you want to deactivate the old PS4 during the process, so you don't need to worry about when/how to do it manually.

I might be back on the Ethernet train.

What's the easiest method of transferring if you want to use a 2Tb HDD from ur current PS4 in the PS4 pro when you are finished?

Ethernet doesn't seem to work good for that, so do I:
1. Backup current PS4
2. Replace Pro HDD (which will whipe it)
3. Restore from Backup
4. Pray I don't loose P.T.?

What's the easiest method of transferring if you want to use the HDD in ur current PS4 in the PS4 pro when you are finished?

Ethernet doesn't seem to work good for that, so do I:
1. Backup current PS4
2. Replace Pro HDD (which will whipe it)
3. Restore from Backup
4. Pray I don't loose P.T.?

You can always redownload via proxy, did this the other month and worked fine.

@Wreck

Wow. Ok. That's important to note.

I might be back on the Ethernet train.

hmmm... i'm thinkin, its now 53minutes left

i might not restore it i might do a fresh DL and copy over my saves see i'f im okay with that

i have PT but i kinda don't care about anymore it was more about the zeitgeist

Dommel

The transfer speed will be vastly different, WiFi speeds can't compare to cable.

Formosa

Should I have my OG PS4 or PS4 PRO plugged into the TV to do then ethernet Lan transfer?

And where is this new ethernet Lan transfer mode hiding in the menu?

Thanks.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
The transfer speed will be vastly different, WiFi speeds can't compare to cable.
I know, but since the wifi method still has an ethernet cable connecting the two consoles, I wonder if that supersedes the wireless connection? Basically I think both methods might have the same result speed-wise, but... I dunno?

univbee

I just did a whole ton of different processes in anticipating for this. Did this from a launch PS4 to a newer PS4, P.T. was preserved. Here's the rundown:

If you will have access to your old PS4 and the PS4 Pro at the same time, and don't need to migrate the old drive to the new unit (approximate time under best circumstances: 1 hour per 150ish gigs to transfer once it gets underway, so ideally do it overnight):

- Connect both PS4's to the same, ideally wired, internal network. Gigabit equipment is recommended.
- Set your video equipment so the PS4 Pro (or target PS4 for the transfer) is what's displayed on screen. You don't need to see anything screen-wise on the old PS4 (source PS4).
- Power both units on, so they're not in rest mode (on the login screen so the white light bar).
- On the PS4 Pro (target PS4) go into settings and go transfer.
- It will ask you to press the power button on the source PS4 until it beeps. Do so, this will trigger the transfer options.
- You will have the option to deselect specific things from the transfer, which may be required if your target PS4 doesn't have sufficient storage (e.g. your old PS4 has a 2tb and your new PS4 doesn't). You can select/deselect apps to your heart's content.
- You will be asked if you want to transfer the activation(s). If your source PS4 has multiple accounts flagged as the primary PS4, you will have to sign into each account you want to transfer (you can also skip transferring primary account status on a per-account basis). Note that doing it this way does NOT count against you for the 6-month timer, that's only if you mass-deactivate via the web store.
- Once the transfer is done you should be all good to go on the target PS4, with the source PS4 still having everything it originally did (other than primary PS4 status if you selected that). You may have to re-enter passwords for PSN sign-in but that's it, everything else including sign-in 4-button codes, all accounts, their saves, and whatever you had installed will be there. So will folders, although any folders which end up empty from the transfer are gone, but that's easy to re-setup and recreate if needed.

If you will be offloading your old PS4 prior to having your PS4 Pro (e.g. trade-in deal), or migrating your old drive to the new unit (approximate time: backup is 1 hour per 150ish gigs, and then repeat that for the restore), a USB storage device (USB 3.0 ideally) with sufficient storage and formatted as exFAT is required.

- Connect the USB 3.0 storage device to your old PS4.
- Use the backup option in settings to create a backup on the USB drive, should mostly be self-explanatory. I think you can selectively backup apps, but I forgot to check admittedly.
- Once it's done (note: be careful with this backup, you might even want to do another on another drive if you have the equipment and time, just in case) I'd recommend initializing the source PS4, which will also de-activate all accounts (this does NOT have a 6-month cooldown, that's just for deactivating via the website). Depending on your connectivity, you may want to do a trophy sync for any accounts, as that doesn't otherwise carry over.

- Now this is when you pull your drive out of the old model if applicable. Once you replace the hard drive in your old unit with a different drive or the drive it shipped with, it'll have to be restored using a USB storage device with the latest FULL firmware in the PS4\UPDATE folder. It's important to get the full firmware and not the partial one. On Sony's site it's the one intended for new drives, and should be over 800 megs.

- Get your new PS4 Pro or whatever, hookup your USB 3.0 storage device there. If you're upgrading its drive, do so before powering it on, and install the stock firmware from the USB storage device (see previous step for details)
- Go through its initial setup, skip everything until you get to the dashboard, and then select "restore" from the settings. Once it's done it'll restart; all accounts will be signed out and deactivated but it should otherwise 100% match your prior install. Re-sign into your accounts, set the console as primary, and you're good to go.

GazzaGSi

I'll be swapping HDD in the Pro as soon as it turns up and after initialising, restore my backup from my OG PS4 to the Pro.

I was going to use the LAN method with ethernet but doing this i read it removes all the data from the OG PS4 during the transfer and I still want the data on there so I have both machines loaded with content, 1 for the living room and 1 for the games room.

Will do my backup the day before the Pro arrives so I'm good to go when it turns up.

I just did a whole ton of different processes in anticipating for this. Did this from a launch PS4 to a newer PS4, P.T. was preserved. Here's the rundown:

If you will have access to your old PS4 and the PS4 Pro at the same time, and don't need to migrate the old drive to the new unit (approximate time under best circumstances: 1 hour per 150ish gigs to transfer once it gets underway, so ideally do it overnight):

- Connect both PS4's to the same, ideally wired, internal network. Gigabit equipment is recommended.
- Set your video equipment so the PS4 Pro (or target PS4 for the transfer) is what's displayed on screen. You don't need to see anything screen-wise on the old PS4 (source PS4).
- Power both units on, so they're not in rest mode (on the login screen so the white light bar).
- It will ask you to press the power button on the source PS4 until it beeps. Do so, this will trigger the transfer options.
- You will have the option to deselect specific things from the transfer, which may be required if your target PS4 doesn't have sufficient storage (e.g. your old PS4 has a 2tb and your new PS4 doesn't). You can select/deselect apps to your heart's content.
- You will be asked if you want to transfer the activation(s). If your source PS4 has multiple accounts flagged as the primary PS4, you will have to sign into each account you want to transfer (you can also skip transferring primary account status on a per-account basis). Note that doing it this way does NOT count against you for the 6-month timer, that's only if you mass-deactivate via the web store.
- Once the transfer is done you should be all good to go on the target PS4, with the source PS4 still having everything it originally did (other than primary PS4 status if you selected that). You may have to re-enter passwords for PSN sign-in but that's it, everything else including sign-in 4-button codes, all accounts, their saves, and whatever you had installed will be there. So will folders, although any folders which end up empty from the transfer are gone, but that's easy to re-setup and recreate if needed.

If you will be offloading your old PS4 prior to having your PS4 Pro (e.g. trade-in deal), or migrating your old drive to the new unit (approximate time: backup is 1 hour per 150ish gigs, and then repeat that for the restore), a USB storage device (USB 3.0 ideally) with sufficient storage and formatted as exFAT is required.

- Use the backup option in settings to create a backup on the USB drive, should mostly be self-explanatory. I think you can selectively backup apps, but I forgot to check admittedly.
- Once it's done (note: be careful with this backup, you might even want to do another on another drive if you have the equipment and time, just in case) I'd recommend initializing the source PS4, which will also de-activate all accounts (this does NOT have a 6-month cooldown, that's just for deactivating via the website). Depending on your connectivity, you may want to do a trophy sync for any accounts, as that doesn't otherwise carry over.

- Now this is when you pull your drive out of the old model if applicable. Once you replace the hard drive in your old unit with a different drive or the drive it shipped with, it'll have to be restored using a USB storage device with the latest FULL firmware in the PS4\UPDATE folder. It's important to get the full firmware and not the partial one. On Sony's site it's the one intended for new drives, and should be over 800 megs.

- Get your new PS4 Pro or whatever, hookup your USB 3.0 storage device there. If you're upgrading its drive, do so before powering it on, and install the stock firmware from the USB storage device (see previous step for details)
- Go through its initial setup, skip everything until you get to the dashboard, and then select "restore" from the settings. Once it's done it'll restart; all accounts will be signed out and deactivated but it should otherwise 100% match your prior install. Re-sign into your accounts, set the console as primary, and you're good to go.

That's a lot of information. Thanks.

I'm not sure my Backup HDD is USB 3.0. That will be the better solution. However, I may try a direct ethernet cable between the two (not over the network) and see if that is faster.

Formosa

Thanks for this! Greatly helped.

But what if I am not transferring via wireless home network? What cable should I use from the PRO to OG PS4?

univbee

Thanks for this! Greatly helped.

But what if I am not transferring via wireless home network? What cable should I use from the PRO to OG PS4?

Basically both PS4's should each be hooked up with network cables to two separate network jacks which are on the same network (subnet, to use IT networking parlance) with working internet. Generally speaking for home users this means both PS4's need to be hooked up to a router or switch; the same one for simplicity's sake, although it technically doesn't matter if they're both on the same internal network, like on separate floors or something. For most home users this means one of your PS4's will have an IPv4 address like 192.168.x.y and the other will have address 192.168.x.z (so the third number in the IPv4 address on both will be the same, in the majority of cases this will be 0, 1 or 2). Assume you reach the stage where it's asking you to check/uncheck what to transfer, that means you're all good to go.

Where is this located?

It's the option just below Restore, it's called "Transfer".

Basically both PS4's should each be hooked up with network cables to two separate network jacks which are on the same network (subnet, to use IT networking parlance) with working internet. Generally speaking for home users this means both PS4's need to be hooked up to a router or switch; the same one for simplicity's sake, although it technically doesn't matter if they're both on the same internal network, like on separate floors or something. For most home users this means one of your PS4's will have an IPv4 address like 192.168.x.y and the other will have address 192.168.x.z (so the third number in the IPv4 address on both will be the same, in the majority of cases this will be 0, 1 or 2). Assume you reach the stage where it's asking you to check/uncheck what to transfer, that means you're all good to go.

The option for direct exists, right?

You can hook one up right to the other?

@Wreck

... I'd recommend initializing the source PS4, which will also de-activate all accounts (this does NOT have a 6-month cooldown,..

just a question around this

what if i do deactivate this ps4 what is the downside?

will this hold up the activation of a new device?

or will just limit my next deactivation for another 6 months?

univbee

The option for direct exists, right?

You can hook one up right to the other?

My understanding is that this will work if both consoles are hooked up via WiFi, not sure otherwise. I don't believe you specifically need a crossover network cable, either (which is what you usually use if you're hooking up two devices together without a router). I suspect the transfer may require PSN connectivity regardless of how you do it. So maybe not something to plan on Christmas day. :)

just a question around this

what if i do deactivate this ps4 what is the downside?

will this hold up the activation of a new device?

or will just limit my next deactivation for another 6 months?

De-activations from a console are fine; within reason, you don't have a limit or cooldown on this. It's just if you do a mass-deactivation through Sony's Account Management website, THAT has a 6-month cooldown.

Top Bottom