• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vampire the Mafia |OT| A Game of Masquerade

*Splinter

spider-warning-sign.jpg

I'm not in this game, ignore me

batsnacks

Ahhhh it's been so long...the smell of fresh blood is unparalleled! Say what you will about D1, but I love it.

VOTE: Ynnek7

He ain't maf'ing hard enough

Gorlak has a power that he can only use if he votes for himself and it remains there at day end

That's maf'ed up if true

Hello vampires. Its such a lovely day outside. Do we really need to lynch someone? I, for one am not going to commit such a savage act and hence refuse to vote. Everyone deserves a fair trial and its foolish to vote someone up on the stand without any evidence.

I say lets wait for one more day, let me investigate and find out who is evil and we'll lynch them tomorrow.

Remember you cannot edit posts now that the game has begun, unless Topo or another mod gives you permission.

Also, for future reference, best not to throw it out there that you are an investigator right away. Now you are a prime target for scum to night kill. :-\

Remember you cannot edit posts now that the game has begun, unless Topo or another mod gives you permission.

Also, for future reference, best not to throw it out there that you are an investigator right away. Now you are a prime target for scum to night kill. :-\

Do you really think an Ace Investigator like me comes to such a shady(I appreciate the fact that it is shady, I don't really like the sun much) theatre without my trusted sidekick bodyguard (He also carries my umbrella, oh and he is human). Let them come at me and my bodyguard will fend wave upon wave of the evil scum while I get them lynched every day.

Trigger

VOTE: Gorlak

I wonder what will happen if you get lynched? You don't seem too worried about being lynched.

Blood for the Blood God!

CHAPTER ONE

I stared at the mirror and asked, "How late is fashionably late?" I saw my words enter B'la's ears, then B'la's brain—I could not BELIEVE I had said that out loud!—glancing about me, I sighed, chuckling. Well, it depends on what the body's wearing, of course. After all, that teenager, B'la, was me! As I knew, B'la was new to town.

Exasperated, I decided to enter the underworld.​

Timeaisis

Do you really think an Ace Investigator like me comes to such a shady(I appreciate the fact that it is shady, I don't really like the sun much) theatre without my trusted sidekick bodyguard (He also carries my umbrella, oh and he is human). Let them come at me and my bodyguard will fend wave upon wave of the evil scum while I get them lynched every day.

Is this a double roleclaim?

CHAPTER THREE

I must be dreaming, I thought to myself. The afterlife wasn't real! But was I truly un-alive, I realized. Since I was new to town, I smacked myself in the face to pull myself together, and inspired myself with my innate reserve of teenage courage. I hit myself so hard that I went back to sleep, but it wasn't too bad because I could dream about not making the same mistake of admitting who I was again to myself.​

squidyj

Hey everyone,
I just got to work, I read up on all of the chatter that's been going around and have came to the conclusion that the obvious choice is for me to

Vote: squidyj

I have not experienced Blargonaut so I feel that trying to dictate a persons fate at the beginning of the game for unrelated reasons should result in lynching.

looks like you're going to get your chance.

Hello vampires. Its such a lovely day outside. Do we really need to lynch someone? I, for one am not going to commit such a savage act and hence refuse to vote. Everyone deserves a fair trial and its foolish to vote someone up on the stand without any evidence.

I say lets wait for one more day, let me investigate and find out who is evil and we'll lynch them tomorrow.

Please do NOT edit your posts in the game thread. This game relies heavily on the veracity of each and every posts to remain as is for later stages of the game. Thank you.

Swamped

Banned
Truly beautiful avatar Blarg

Hi Swamped, you look well. Blood rose cheeks and all. I was wondering when you'd show.

Why did you mention Gorlak's abilities?

Nice to see you again CM! Just some speculation. Looks like he changed it to batsnacks though.

I really got to work on reading through the whole thread, before posting lol.

Sensing some anxiety from this post. CM only has 3 votes i believe.

El Topo

I originally wanted to give an in-detail summary of the game, but I think the one found at Wikipedia here is pretty good to get a feel for the videogame. The White Wolf Wiki has some more information on characters/factions here.

StMeph

I know what you're saying my point is "Blarg" doesn't seem any less random than "absolutebro"

And if random is what meph wants there was already a vote on blarg

Hmm, don't stay implicit. You'll have to work me through your thoughts. Why do you think it's important to point that out? I'd argue random is random and you are right with the first sentence. But why is "he should vote Blarg over AB because of squidyj's vote" your conclusion?

Going to come in and defend myself here. Blarg doesn't seem "random" because there was an explicitly given reason for it: his past behavior in other games. I said that alphabetical would be random if just because all of the roles are randomly distributed down the list, so going straight through the list from top-to-bottom would, effectively, be random.

That said, Fat4all did point out that my name starts with S, and would be near the end, but I'm also okay starting from bottom up and go Z->A instead.

Hello vampires. Its such a lovely day outside. Do we really need to lynch someone?

Think about it this way: the less other vampires there are, the more Heathers you get.

batsnacks

lynching down the list is arbitrary you can start anywhere. odds are no different starting with Blarg than they are starting at the top or the bottom of the list.

1 -> 20
20 -> 1
14 -> 13

also, and maybe more importantly, if we just lynch down the list no one is ever accountable for their votes and we can't use vote info later to catch mafia.

also, maybe most importantly, it's like actively avoiding playing the game which is lame and not fun.

Dr. Worm

Banned
Those who are MIA thus far...

3 [m] Dr. Worm

Can someone go wake them up?

Sorry, sorry. I'm a tad busy this week irl.

I'll post to say I'm here and I skimmed the thread. I'll probably make a vote tomorrow (that is, real life tomorrow). Day 1s are kinda boring, and I'm not really on the ins with the GAF drama from past games.

Not quite sold on Day 1 lynching, since I don't wanna lynch someone cool. I like cool people, and firmly believe they should be left alive.

Mazre

Squidy - A fishing expedition is not unexpected from him, though straight off the bat is a little earlier than usual. The premise against Blarg is thin but that can be chalked up to being a part of the fishing expedition. Pretty normal behavior from Squidy all in all (maybe a little too normal)

Gorlak/Bats/St Meph - This feels like town arguing amongst themselves for the most part, Gorlaks behavior is odd but not distressingly so

Satanic - Cop? Veteran? Both? Neither? Other? Super bold scum? Fishing? Other?

Fat4all

Banned
Satanic - Cop? Veteran? Both? Neither? Other? Super bold scum? Fishing? Other?

I was thinking about that. Wouldn't it be a bad idea for scum to pretend to be a cop?

Seems like that would likely get them investigated really early and called out/lynched.

Not quite sold on Day 1 lynching, since I don't wanna lynch someone cool. I like cool people, and firmly believe they should be left alive.

What have you guys been discussing outside this thread?

Fat4all

Banned
Do we know for certain there is a cop role? I feel it's a given but it's best not to assume.

they only clues to roles we have right now are Satanic saying

and Gorlak saying something about role-claiming, but that hasn't happened yet I don't think.

CHAPTER FOUR

I woke up to the sound of chirping, but as I looked out the window I realised it was just the sound of my teeth grinding. I really should see someone about that. Yawning, I went outside after standing up because I didn't need to get dressed, because I wore my outdoor clothes to sleep which was admittedly a bad habit that I picked up during my childhood. But could I run away from the suffering of the underworld like I ran away from my insufferable parents? I remember getting in the family car and it practically drove me out of there forever. "Thank god for myself driving vehicles," I mused aloud, as I pocketed the keys off the counter just like I did then.

Stepping out into the eternal darkness, I shuddered, my skin visibly crawling with the cold tingle of cringe that had my utter soul recoil from my body with the feeling of intellectual near-death. Looking out across the suburban hellscape, the memory had suddenly came back to me so vividly: I had said, "Thank god for myself driving vehicles," out loud! It was then, at that very moment, that I swore a vow to myself that someone who would appreciate me for who I truly, truly was would be taught to learn by me that I was dangerous or else I would promise myself that if no such beautiful, caring, intelligent creature existed on the same plane as me, I would begin to love myself for what I had become.​

CHAPTER FIVE

Unclenching my fists, I hugged myself because it was as cold a morning as it could get. My stomach shivered with the lack of attention I was giving it. It's okay, breakfast belonged to me before anyone else did. When I drove to the local diner, I ate breakfast and paid for it. It was an easy place to find despite it being a small town, so being new here wasn't a problem for me. The waiter was friendly with the change. But I wondered, was it enough?

squidyj

So blarg's had a chance to make some posts, does anyone want to revise their opinion on the usefulness of keeping blarg around?

Ynnek7

Alright! Finally done with work and chores! Tuesday's and Wednesday's are my busiest days of the week, so my activity for those days will be pretty sparse, unfortunately. I'm still able to read through the thread throughout those days, so I'm still able to keep up.

First, wanted to share a useful tool with all the new players. You may already know about this, but I only learned of this function through playing Mafia here.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/misc.php?t=1313469&do=whoposted

This link will take you to a list of every person who has posted in the thread. If you click on the numbers over on the right, you'll be able to see every post they've made, as well. This will help a ton later on when we start having to go through everyone's post history to try to find slip ups or breadcrumbs. It's also a good way to see how active a person is (although, a high post count doesn't mean much, and can often be a trick to give the appearance of being active while really just posting fluff).

Gorlak are you maf'ing? You maf'ing bro?

This is my new slang thats sweeping the vampire nation everyone is using it

Reading through the thread earlier, I missed this part where you introduced "maf'ing". I was honestly surprised that I had managed to go through the entire off season without ever reading that term before, lol.

Now, moving on to a couple topics that have come up:

The suggestion to lynch Blarg for being Blarg
Yeah, I'm against this idea, and pretty glad to see it not gaining any traction. I'll admit, making sense of his posts can be a headache, but I feel like he's a good enough player that we should at least see what he has to say. Also, just realized that his makes the fourth game in a row we've played together, Blarg! A couple of those were pretty much only for one day, but I'd still count them.

Gorlak
Really not sure of what to make of Gorlak's posting. Either it has something to do with his role, or he's just RPing this game. Reading through again, though, he seemed to go back to normal posting, so it doesn't seem like something he has to keep up for all posts.

Satanic Saint
For now, I'm going to believe his claims weren't completely truthful. I can see reasons for Scum to either kill him or keep him alive, so we'll have to deal with that bridge when we come to it I think.

RNG Voting
Used an online dice roller and ended up with a 15. I would go with that result if it weren't for Swamped who already has a vote on me, lol. Instead, lets re-role.

VOTE: Hobohodo

That's actually a good one! How's it going Hobohodo?

CHAPTER SIX

I sat there, studying the waiter as he counted. Breaking Benjamin was on the radio, and Breaking Bad was on the TV. How charming. He gave me the money the diner owed me for overpaying as their customer, then he looked at me furtively.

"So, you're new around here?" the waiter asked me.

"How could you tell?" I wondered.

"I haven't seen you around before. What's your name?"

"I'm B'la. Nice to meet you, I guess." I replied. "You should know that I made a mistake with an italics tag back in Chapter Five. I didn't mean to, sorry."

"No problem, you can pay for that later," said he. "So, what brings you to our little town? Just passing through, or...?"

"I've already passed, as you can see," I said, shyly. "This is like me on vacation, actually. A relative of mine had a good time here and recommended it to me, if you must know."

"Oh, that's cool," he said. "I'm on vacation myself."

What? "Really?" I said. "But, you work here, right? You're working."

He laughed at my puzzled expression. "No, no. I don't work here. I just serve the customers." Then, as he grabbed my shoulders, I realised he was a vampire right before he bit me.​

Fat4all

Banned
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/misc.php?t=1313469&do=whoposted

This link will take you to a list of every person who has posted in the thread. If you click on the numbers over on the right, you'll be able to see every post they've made, as well. This will help a ton later on when we start having to go through everyone's post history to try to find slip ups or breadcrumbs. It's also a good way to see how active a person is (although, a high post count doesn't mean much, and can often be a trick to give the appearance of being active while really just posting fluff).

I actually didn't now about that, that's super helpful.

also, instead of jumping on the lynch Christina Mackenzie bandwagon that's circling at the mo', I'm working on my own form of RNG that involves a terrible font and gaudy colors.

Just gotta wait til tomorrow to finish it.

CHAPTER SEVEN

Awkward. Gently, I pushed him away.

"I'm so, so sorry. This... us... I think, it wouldn't work out." I said, eyes downcast.

He seemed surprised. "L-like I said, I'm not working!" He lunged at me again, fangs bared. I doubled-over in my seat and he flew over me, shattering the window as he crashed into the shrubs outside the diner.

I bent back up and shimmied over to the window side of the booth, looking down at him. He was already hissing in the morning sunlight, arms flailing.

"Who—what—when—where—how?" He managed to whisper.

I was definitely, definitely new here. "Look, you seem like a nice vampire, but, like I said," I replied. "I've already passed."

Grunting with effort I caught his arm, lifting and dragging him back inside through the broken window. The air-conditioned dimness of the diner's interior calmed him down immediately. He rolled off the table to the opposite side of the booth, shifting to sit across from me. Plucking shards of glass out of himself as he regenerated, he sheepishly looked at me with a grateful expression.

"I'm sorry I bit you," he said. "I'm still hungry, but you're immortal now."

I grinned. "Thanks," I said, but as the reality of the situation dawned on me, my face turned grave. "But where will you eat now? The diner's in ruins."

He waved my worry away as he brushed glass off his shoulders. "It's okay. It's not mine," he replied.

"Oh." I couldn't just leave him here, in this state. Not after what he had went through for my sake. "Can... can I get you something to eat, then?" I hesitatingly said. I shouldn't get this involved, I literally barely even know this stranger. My mind exploded with apprehension over what I was suggesting.

He shot me a wary, yet hopeful look. "B'la, you'd do that for me?" the waiter said.

"Um, well, I'm sure there's someone around here we could ask for you," I said, looking away towards the other diners.​

Fat4all

Banned
D'aww, I don't even get access to an exclusive forum to discuss your chapter releases?

Ah well, I suppose I'll give you $5 a month for now, but just to get those chapters out faster.

Letters from the Fans

Letter #1
D'aww, I don't even get access to an exclusive forum to discuss your chapter releases?

Ah well, I suppose I'll give you $5 a month for now, but just to get those chapters out faster.

Dear Fat4all,

My apologies; although I am self-published, it is against my best and future career interests to divulge upcoming content via an exclusive platform of any kine.

Thank you for your pledge and your sincere understanding.

Many thanks,
The Author​

Top Bottom