• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Xenoblade Chronicles X coming to Switch within first 6 months

True Fire

X's impressive open world doesn't make up for every other aspect of the game. As a game it was very mediocre in almost every department. It was cool to look at, but not enjoyable at all.

Its sales certainly didn't light charts on fire, half of the Xenoblade fanbase despises it and will definitely not buy it again, and it's a part of a quickly improving genre with some standout games coming out next year. How well will X review after Horizon and RDR2 debut? Or even Zelda?

rhandino

Banned
Have it on the WiiU but them framerates hurts my eyes. Haven't played it in a while and didn't get too far. Might wait for Switch version instead.
Played the game for 300 hours (2 different characters) and its EXTREMELY rare when it has some kind of framerate problem even when tons of enemies on screen and all the party members are doing their flashy moves so idk what in the world are you talking about.

-MB-

X's impressive open world doesn't make up for every other aspect of the game. As a game it was very mediocre in almost every department. It was cool to look at, but not enjoyable at all.

Its sales certainly didn't light charts on fire, half of the Xenoblade fanbase despises it and will definitely not buy it again, and it's a part of a quickly improving genre with some standout games coming out next year. How well will X review after Horizon and RDR2 debut? Or even Zelda?

If it didnt sell half of the original Xenoblade, how can half of the entire Xenoblade franchise fanbase despise it without ever playing it?

LordKano

Lol, Xenoblade X was meet with praise and the xeno fans liked it, and that's only natural since it's a great game. It's a critical success, don't try to turn things around the way you want.

Also, we don't have any updated numbers about its sales.

Also, we don't have any updated numbers about its sales.

It sold close to 100k in Japan and 40k in France:

http://www.perfectly-nintendo.com/n...-france-xenoblade-chronicles-x-splatoon-more/

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/05/08/this-week-in-sales-xenoblade-chronicles-x/

Also, there was supposedly a leak from the NPD indicating the game sold 200k in the US:

http://www.perfectly-nintendo.com/n...-2015-united-states-wii-u-3ds-software-sales/

Of course, the NPD stuff could be false, but since the game sold 40k in France, I think it's reasonable to assume the game sold at least 100k in the US. That leaves us with at least 240-300k copies sold worldwide.

Low? Well, the first Xeno wasn't a million seller on the Wii, a console that sold 100+ million units. The Wii U only sold 10 million units, so I think 300k copies is pretty good.

The game could use some QoL improvements, no doubt, but XCX would be comparably cheap to make an updated port for, would benefit from a chance to sell to a new audience, and looks fucking AMAZING in a sizzle reel. It may be worth the cleanup literally just to put that footage in Switch promos alongside BotW. That would help create the image that Switch can be home to massive, beautiful open world games, even if XCX is somewhat less impressive than it looks in trailers.

LordKano

It sold close to 100k in Japan and 40k in France:

http://www.perfectly-nintendo.com/n...-france-xenoblade-chronicles-x-splatoon-more/

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/05/08/this-week-in-sales-xenoblade-chronicles-x/

Also, there was supposedly a leak from the NPD indicating the game sold 200k in the US:

http://www.perfectly-nintendo.com/n...-2015-united-states-wii-u-3ds-software-sales/

Of course, the NPD stuff could be false, but since the game sold 40k in France, I think it's reasonable to assume the game sold at least 100k in the US. That leaves us with at least 240-300k copies sold worldwide.

Low? Well, the first Xeno wasn't a million seller on the Wii, a console that sold 100+ million units. The Wii U only sold 10 million units, so I think 300k copies is pretty good.

I know about these numbers, but they're only for the launch/first month and are incomplete.
I don't see any reason why the NPD numbers would be false, so yeah, in its first month it sold at least 340k copies, only counting USA, France and Japan.

Now, one year has passed and I think it's safe to assume that it doubled this number, due to the others Europe countries and the somewhat legs it could have.

For what we know, it may have sold more than Xenoblade Chronicles.

even if XCX is somewhat less impressive than it looks in trailers.

It is? I followed the game's marketing ever since its initial unveiling as "X" and my jaw was hitting the floor on a near-constant basis when actually playing it. One of the very few console games to ever achieve that.

Some Nobody

Some needed gameplay improvements:

-Have a menu to select party members. No more of this "find them in the city" bullshit
-Have dormant party members scale levels with the main character. This game has like 20 party members and you have to level up each and every single one of them. Ain't nobody got time for that!
-Let me accept more than 20 missions at once.
-Increase the font size
-Give the option to play the regular continent music while flying in the Skell.
-Give the option to lower the volume in the cutscenes.
-Replace the soundtrack with Xenoblade Chronicles' soundtrack
partially kidding
-You can cut down the requirements for the collectible missions too. Instead of needing 10 of an ultra rare item, let me collect 5. No one will miss those.

I'd ask for improvements regarding story structure, but that would probably require changing the game entirely.

That first thing is crucial. The rare items thing? Fuck that, go full WRPG with it. You ask me for an item, I go to a location and that item is THERE. No hunting a billion times, the item is just available. The rest of your stuff is kinda whatever, except allowing idle party members to level up--you got me there man. 20+ party members is neat but you can't level them because more often than not the same two characters are required. Might as well let them scale.

Take that, and then ditch the affinity system and this game goes from great to near perfect. Maybe add an item to keep higher-level enemies away from you while you do stuff.

It is? I followed the game's marketing ever since its initial unveiling as "X" and my jaw was hitting the floor on a near-constant basis when actually playing it. One of the very few console games to ever achieve that.

This, even on the wii u I had moments like that and I primarily game on a high end pc. Something about the game just nails that sense of epic scale.

Shiggy

I know about these numbers, but they're only for the launch/first month and are incomplete.
I don't see any reason why the NPD numbers would be false, so yeah, in its first month it sold at least 340k copies, only counting USA, France and Japan.

Now, one year has passed and I think it's safe to assume that it doubled this number,
due to the others Europe countries and the somewhat legs it could have.

No way. The game had no legs. And with Wii U a wasteland in Europe, the game sold best in France. There's absolutely no way the game is above 600k units by now.

IrishNinja

splatoon, maker, kart, smash...all the games i passed on, looking to get ported! yayyyy

grabbed xeno when it was cheap at target, need to grab DK and a few others not likely to port (i'm thinking tokyo mirage might be a longshot) and wrap up this gen

I have a hard time believing a Zelda demo.

yeah that'd be something to see but it doesn't feel super likely

LordKano

No way. The game had no legs. And with Wii U a wasteland in Europe, the game sold best in France. There's absolutely no way the game is above 600k units by now.

Even The Wonderful 101 had some legs in the US, starting at 25k and ending with 101k. I don't see why this one wouldn't have, even if they're in no way comparable to the usual legs Nintendo games have.

rockx4

Zelda demo is probably something lame like "you guys can also go play the demo at best buy for a limited time"... during the January reveal.

Gambit

The best news about this port is that it seems like a confirmation that a sequel (continuing the storyline) is to arrive on Switch as well.

EDIT: I take it as a sign for a continuation. They want to give non-Wii U owners the chance to experience the story, before it continues in a sequel.

It`s my personal take on it.

Gambit

Wait. It does? How does it confirm a sequel?

Oh sorry, I didn`t mean that as official confirmation.

But I take it as a sign for a continuation anyway. They want to give non-Wii U owners the chance to buy it, before the story continues in a sequel.

Now, one year has passed and I think it's safe to assume that it doubled this number, due to the others Europe countries and the somewhat legs it could have.

While I don't believe it sold over 600k, I'm playing it safe when I say 340k copies (it's hard to argue that it sold less than that). I believe it actually sold close to 500k, but it's hard to tell with the info we have. Anyway, even 340k would be great for a complex niche JRPG game released on a console with such a small user base.

Zalman

I still think X has the single most impressive open world in videogames. It routinely stunned me in a way that Los Santos and Gotham City and all these other open-world wonderlands never did. The fact they pulled this off on the WiiU is just insane.

X has so many moments that remind me of Jurassic Park where Grant sees a brontosaurus for the first time. You could swap in the John Williams score and it would fit perfectly, although the orchestral Sawano pieces work great, too.
I agree with this. I have never seen a more impressive open world.

While I don't believe it sold over 600k, I'm playing it safe when I say 340k copies (it's hard to argue that it sold less than that). I believe it actually sold close to 500k, but it's hard to tell with the info we have. Anyway, even 340k would be great for a complex niche JRPG game released on a console with such a small user base.

I know a LOT of people who really wanted to get this game but wouldn't get anywhere close to a Wii U.

However much it sold, it was heavily constrained by the Wii U's userbase and I'm sure Nintendo knows that.

Hopefully the Switch can do it justice in terms of sales because the game deserves every single one it gets, IMO. Simply breathtaking all the way through.

Still don't believe Zelda is being delayed.

It just seems so strange for Zelda to be delayed even though it's been announced for so long, yet Mario a new game out of nowhere is at launch. lol

I know a LOT of people who really wanted to get this game but wouldn't get anywhere close to a Wii U.

However much it sold, it was heavily constrained by the Wii U's userbase and I'm sure Nintendo knows that.

Hopefully the Switch can do it justice in terms of sales because the game deserves every single one it gets, IMO. Simply breathtaking all the way through.

I need a few years to say for sure, but XenoX might be my favorite game ever. I'll definitely buy it again and I hope it sells great on the Switch.

I sold my Wii U weeks ago because I needed the money to get the Switch (consoles are very expensive here in Brazil), but it was so hard to let XenoX go... I played it for 300+ hours but it wasn't enough. I feel like I could play that thing forever. I hope the news of a port are true, because if not, I'll end up buying a Wii U again in the future so I can play XenoX again.

Some needed gameplay improvements:

-Have a menu to select party members. No more of this "find them in the city" bullshit
-Have dormant party members scale levels with the main character. This game has like 20 party members and you have to level up each and every single one of them. Ain't nobody got time for that!
-Let me accept more than 20 missions at once.
-Increase the font size
-Give the option to play the regular continent music while flying in the Skell.
-Give the option to lower the volume in the cutscenes.
-Replace the soundtrack with Xenoblade Chronicles' soundtrack
partially kidding
-You can cut down the requirements for the collectible missions too. Instead of needing 10 of an ultra rare item, let me collect 5. No one will miss those.

I'd ask for improvements regarding story structure, but that would probably require changing the game entirely.
Hear hear. I was shocked to see that you couldn't manage your party properly in the baracks. It was such a logical place for it, it was so weird to see it not be there.

Another thing I really wanted was the ability to toggle between Flight and Jump pack. I loved jumping way more than I did flying, so being able to switch between those would have been ideal. The flight music shouldn't kick in until you reach a certain altitude above the sea level.

I'd also want the final checkpoint be changed. After the point of no return, you can die and respawn there without your skells. Since no one would want to re-attempt it with your main fighting force removed, there's absolutely no reason to respawn you there. Either throw the player a bone and also restore the skells, or hard-cut to a game over.

I need a few years to say for sure, but XenoX might be my favorite game ever.
High five! I feel the same way. It had been many, many years since I had last experienced the "This is blowing me away" feeling. Last time before that probably was Metroid Prime on Gamecube (though Mario Galaxy wasn't far from that).

Since I was younger when I experienced Metroid Prime, I thought I'd never get that feeling back (you know, jaded adult etc.) but nope, all it took was the right game.

Oh sorry, I didn`t mean that as official confirmation.

But I take it as a sign for a continuation anyway. They want to give non-Wii U owners the chance to buy it, before the story continues in a sequel.

Ahhh fair enough. I'd definitely hope it gets a sequel; XBX was my 2015 game of the year.

Honestly, the end of Xenoblade X really implies a sequel is planned.

True, but it won't be the first time a game with an obvious sequel hook never got a follow up

-shadow-

Even The Wonderful 101 had some legs in the US, starting at 25k and ending with 101k. I don't see why this one wouldn't have, even if they're in no way comparable to the usual legs Nintendo games have.
This is to good a coincidence! 😂

Dunno. It felt like the premise and plot of X was only there to serve the exploration. People are looking too hard into "This story never truly ends..."

I think the cliffhanger ending is perfect. No spoilers ahead, just some vague thoughts on the ending, people who haven't finished the game can read it.

The game ends with a big mystery about Mira. There's no clear answer to it, and there are some interesting theories around, but the true answer is not really the point.

This game is based on endless exploration. It's a huge world, and there's always something to do. You can keep doing sidequests, you can try to fill your creature database, you can keep searching for materials to create new equipment.

I finished the game at the 130h mark, but I played it for over 300 hours because I feel there's always something new to discover in Mira. So, it's fitting that the story ends with a big mystery, because as you keep exploring, you keep thinking about the mystery and have this feeling that the story is not over yet, just like the exploration.

So, I think a sequel that explains the ending is a bad idea and would be detrimental to XenoX. I like the mystery and I hope Monolith tries something different next time, as they usually do.

MacTag

Banned
XCX did 35k in Jan NPD, a steep drop but not awful for a post launch, post holiday JRPG (especially on a console). Where exactly are you getting "no legs" from?

Neiteio

Some screens I took to appreciate the beauty of XCX. From the great white north of Sylvalum, which I discovered after a harrowing low-level journey into unknown territory (possibly one of my favorite nights playing a videogame EVER):

xcx-upnorth01a9jnl.jpg

xcx-upnorth02w7kov.jpg

xcx-upnorth03tsjfp.jpg

xcx-upnorth04vbjsl.jpg

xcx-upnorth05d3jjb.jpg

xcx-upnorth067nk9t.jpg

xcx-upnorth07nuk6l.jpg

xcx-upnorth08ltjio.jpg

xcx-upnorth09jzjht.jpg

xcx-upnorth10r6ktp.jpg

xcx-upnorth11jejot.jpg

xcx-upnorth127gjiz.jpg

xcx-upnorth13e4jdg.jpg

xcx-upnorth14u3j31.jpg

xcx-upnorth155bjm2.jpg

xcx-upnorth16fqkpk.jpg

xcx-upnorth17jdkr0.jpg

xcx-upnorth18x8kul.jpg

I played all of XCX on a computer monitor a couple feet away, but after testing it on a TV at normal viewing distance, the text was small af. Hope they fix that, but I'm afraid it might not be a priority due to the handheld mode where the screen won't be that far.

Kicko

This game seems obnoxiously big, and it's one of the reasons I was turned off from the Wii-U release. I will say, however, that if there are enough changes to my liking I will consider the Switch version. It's 'bigness' isn't that big of a detriment in my decision to pick it up.

Neiteio

This game seems obnoxiously big, and it's one of the reasons I was turned off from the Wii-U release. I will say, however, that if there are enough changes to my liking I will consider the Switch version. It's 'bigness' isn't that big of a detriment in my decision to pick it up.
Not sure if you've played XCX, but it's a joy to move around in this game. Seriously has some of the best-feeling running and jumping controls since, like, Super Mario 64.

You have an infinite sprint and a high-flying moon-jump, and no falling damage (something they actually explain in-game!). And when you jump down slopes, your character effortlessly rolls to his/her feet and continues running, seamlessly.

You can bound up the most intricate of footholds in walls, scaling some impossible peaks if you put your mind to it. The whole world is one giant playground for you to run around and explore. It's tirelessly addictive just seeing how far I can run before something kills me. I run off into the wilderness like the Running Man in Ocarina of Time, inhaling the sights and sounds around me, one breathtaking vista after another. Just AMAZING. :)

Also, there's fast-travel via the map.

This is a game that demands time. I think it's a "smell the flowers" game: you have to enjoy what you're doing, because it will take you a long time to "advance".

I'll give you an example. Many people complained about how hard it is to find materials needed to complete some quests, and, yes, it is hard: you're given vague directions on where to find them and they're randomly distributed across each area, with some materials being rare. Sometimes, story progression is tied to this kind of stuff.

That said, it was never a problem for me. I enjoyed exploring so much that I constantly spent hours just walking around, killing creatures, collecting materials and looking for caves and other places of interest. 90% of the time I needed materials to complete quests or advance the story, I already had them in spades.

So, it's not a game for the more objective-oriented gamer. It works best for gamers that want to enjoy the experience and are not too worried about finishing the game.

I really loved the character growth and New Los Angeles growth when I played that game, but dang is that ending so unsatisfying plot-wise.

Raven77

I'm super excited at the prospect of this coming to the Switch. I am hoping to beat it by the time this comes out and am really struggling. I figure since this is the only active Xenoblade thread on here I would post some (probably dumb) questions:

- The "explored" precentage. I have to get to 15% to do the 4th (I think) chapter story. How does one increase the precentage? Is it just dropping probes? Finding items? or am I missing something with this.

- The combat is still a bit beyond me. I find switching to the right body part I want to be really difficult. Generally in combat all i do is wait for someone to call out a circle item along the bottom for me to do, I switch to it and do it. Then I go back to the basic attack till one of them starts flashing again. I've tried watching videos and even have the giant hardcover guide. I feel like the guide just confuses me more.

- Is there a general consensus on the best party members to run or are there some essential things I should be doing right now before I advance the story much more (grinding levels, hunting specific items, etc)?

I love this game but i'ts kind of like loving a book in a language you barely understand just because it has really really nice pictures...

Top Bottom