• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Moana |OT| - "If you wear a dress and have an animal sidekick, you're a princess"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malyse

CHSzQkc.gif

TAKE THAT BACK! Ariel is clearly the GOAT and has the GOAT Disney song with 'Part of Your World'.

Ariel almost gets her entire supporting cast killed. Flounder almost gets eaten by a shark, Sebastian almost becomes dinner, Eric damn near gets his head taken off and nearly gets into a very bad carriage wreck, and Triton has to take a fate worst than death to save his dumb daughter. Ariel is literally the worst princess and a threat to everyone she interacts with.

But this is the Moana OT. You wanna talk princesses, we have a Disney Princess OT

I loved it. Shiny, We Know The Way, and You're Welcome are fantastic songs. The only criticism I have is that too many jokes were focused around Hei Hei.

TSM

I took my daughters (10 and 11) to see this and they loved it. It made their top 3 for the year:

1) Kubo and the Two Strings

Tie

2) Zootopia

2) Moana

I took my daughters (10 and 11) to see this and they loved it. It made their top 3 for the year:

1) Kubo and the Two Strings

Tie

2) Zootopia

2) Moana

I was about to comment that Zootopia was last year but I double checked and was surprised to see I was remembering wrong. Pretty incredible year for Disney, aside from all their other properties that's two classic animated movies in a single year.

Ariel almost gets her entire supporting cast killed. Flounder almost gets eaten by a shark, Sebastian almost becomes dinner, Eric damn near gets his head taken off and nearly gets into a very bad carriage wreck, and Triton has to take a fate worst than death to save his dumb daughter. Ariel is literally the worst princess and a threat to everyone she interacts with.

But this is the Moana OT. You wanna talk princesses, we have a Disney Princess OT

And yet despite all that she's still the GOAT all because of her voice. Jodi Benson was perfect as Ariel and will never be matched again. She gave so much passion and emotion!

AniHawk

this movie felt like it had a lot of little elements i liked:

1. maui - [spoilerit's basically hercules except with a point. the guy seeks glory not because the gods told him to, but because he wants acceptance. you're welcome is a fun song too.[/spoiler]

2. the music/setting - the pacific island / hawaaiian (?) music was wonderful and i wished that was what set the tone for the film more. i also like that all the musical numbers save for one actually have a point and move the story along.

3. moana - really liked the acting and the character. they did a good job building up her resourcefulness and problem-slving while on the island that comes into effect later.

4. hei hei - i just like really really dumb comedic relief sometimes. i wished that there was more of hei hei (and i'm glad pua wasn't the animal sidekick instead).

overall i'd say it's more of a miss for me. it's really just parts of the movie i like. it really felt a lot more like a collection of action sequences strung together by boat scenes. i think shiny is catchy as hell and i like the song, but it felt a bit like a detour from the plot (same with the coconuts attacking the boat). and maybe this is me just getting older but i was more fascinated by the workings of the technology and culture than the mysticism. maui being able to do all kinds of magical things took a lot of the impact away from moana for me. i am also not a fan of
the grandma returning and the song that followed
. it felt like the conflict and resolution happened so quickly it might not have happened at all.

in a lot of ways, it feels like a 90s disney flick. that shouldn't be surprising considering it's musker and clements, but in 2016, after zootopia, it just came across a bit unimpressive aside from the setting and some of the characters. i also think hei hei was enough comic relief and that we didn't also need the ocean and the tattoo. lastly, for the resolution, i like the
attempt to subvert expectations. however it felt like there should have been some thematic connections with moana for that to happen. maybe i missed it, but it just seemed more like she had solved a problem versus something a little deeper.
i might just be spoiled by zootopia (and to a lesser extent, frozen), which resolves the plot in a way that connects the protagonist more deeply with the conflict.

Disney's animated studio(s) have been on a roll. Moana is yet another fantastic film from them. Probably my favorite recent animated film from them. It was just supremely enjoyable.

Everything, from Moana to Maui was just great.

GhaleonEB

If this movie does not win multiple oscars, i'll write a strongly worded letter.

The songs are wonderful, but if it takes animated film over Zootopia I'll write two strongly worded letters. (Probably F and U, aimed at the Academy.)

overall i'd say it's more of a miss for me. it's really just parts of the movie i like. it really felt a lot more like a collection of action sequences strung together by boat scenes. i think shiny is catchy as hell and i like the song, but it felt a bit like a detour from the plot (same with the coconuts attacking the boat). and maybe this is me just getting older but i was more fascinated by the workings of the technology and culture than the mysticism. maui being able to do all kinds of magical things took a lot of the impact away from moana for me. i am also not a fan of
the grandma returning and the song that followed
. it felt like the conflict and resolution happened so quickly it might not have happened at all.

in a lot of ways, it feels like a 90s disney flick. that shouldn't be surprising considering it's musker and clements, but in 2016, after zootopia, it just came across a bit unimpressive aside from the setting and some of the characters. i also think hei hei was enough comic relief and that we didn't also need the ocean and the tattoo. lastly, for the resolution, i like the
attempt to subvert expectations. however it felt like there should have been some thematic connections with moana for that to happen. maybe i missed it, but it just seemed more like she had solved a problem versus something a little deeper.
i might just be spoiled by zootopia (and to a lesser extent, frozen), which resolves the plot in a way that connects the protagonist more deeply with the conflict.

I enjoyed the film more than you did, but I these are all valid points. I had fun with it, but it's one of those stories where the more I think about it, the less some of the story make sense or even works. The coconut pirates came out of nowhere, apparently attributed to
Moana flaunting that she has the heart, but that makes no sense since they showed up like, two minutes after.
It was really just a sequence designed to show Maui and Moana working together, however tentatively, as a set up to the finale. But it never felt like more than that.

Totally agree on the grandmother as well, it felt very Lion King in its beats, and actually dampened that particular story thread.

Kieli

I liked this movie, I thought it was much better than Frozen, which I honestly didn't like too much story-wise and how it resolved its conflict. Though I have to admit I got tired of the chicken halfway through. It had some laughs at first, but at a certain point we get it, the chicken is dumb.

The chicken gags really resonated with the kids. They were laughing at those all the time.

woodland

Fucking loved this holy shit. Thought the Rock was gonna be a bit of a miscast given the trailers weren't exciting to me, but everything was A+. Probably my fav movie of the year.

Crazyorloco

I really enjoyed the Inner Workings short movie...I felt it blended well with Moana. Both fit the theme of
"finding yourself."

This movie is definitely the most gorgeous CGI film I've seen from Disney. It is so beautiful. I'm already thinking buying this in the highest quality format I can get it in.

It also gave me so many feels throughout the film. The moments with the grandmother were nice. I don't think Moana is as cerebral as Inside Out, or as fun as Zootopia, but it's a great film visually and sonically. Well done Disney. I hope there's a sequel.

Come at me bros

Pixar is now 2nd tier Disney.

Disney Animated Studios is the real star.

I agree with you nowadays. Disney is really kicking butt with their films. All Disney animated films this year are better in quality than Finding Dory. I think Pixar needs less sequels, they have better results when it's something new (unless its toy story).

kingocfs

The songs are wonderful, but if it takes animated film over Zootopia I'll write two strongly worded letters. (Probably F and U, aimed at the Academy.)

Man, I thought this was way better than
Zootopia, which I thought was a great story wrapped in a poorly realized world with too many characters.

Moana is just the full package; story, dialogue, music, characters, setting...everything compliments each other so well. With an absolutely great climax.

aceface

I liked this more than Zootopia.

I mean I liked them both, Zootopia was a much more cerebral movie that had a great message (especially for a kids movie).

But Moana had the emotional punch that was delivered by excellent music. It also had about the best cg visuals I've ever seen in a movie, which ain't nothing.

It depends on what you are looking for but I like a movie that wears it's heart on its sleeve and really goes for it.
I mean yeah those coconut pirates came out of nowhere but that sequence was fucking amazing. Yeah the ghost grandma was cliche but the music and "I am Moana!" really sold that scene. I legit teared up a bit at the ending too, definitely took inspiration from Mizazaki there.

Both movies do different things well, and for Disney, good on them for doing both!

AniHawk

I enjoyed the film more than you did, but I these are all valid points. I had fun with it, but it's one of those stories where the more I think about it, the less some of the story make sense or even works. The coconut pirates came out of nowhere, apparently attributed to
Moana flaunting that she has the heart, but that makes no sense since they showed up like, two minutes after.
It was really just a sequence designed to show Maui and Moana working together, however tentatively, as a set up to the finale. But it never felt like more than that.

Totally agree on the grandmother as well, it felt very Lion King in its beats, and actually dampened that particular story thread.

i really wanted to love it, and afterwards, i was talking with the others who saw it and how it felt like kubo. it's a little annoying that both films had stuff i thought worked and didn't - that with the two of them combined, there's probably a masterpiece in there. kubo actually had the whole conflict connected with the characters fairly well - and unlike moana, it handled the sense of urgency much better. in kubo, it's a chase, and there's no way he could actually fight off the sisters on his own. in moana it's also a race against time, but aside from a dream sequence it really doesn't feel like that. on the other hand, i thought kubo was kind of a little shit, and the resolution at the end came from growth that happened out of nowhere. moana feels a bit more like a real person who has a clear desire, but also has a strong love and respect for her family.

AniHawk

Come at me bros

i do agree, but i was actually surprised by finding dory and monsters u when i saw them on a plane trip last month. both were a lot better than what i was expecting considering the reputation cars 2 had and that they released around the good dinosaur and brave. i think i might like dory second to zootopia for animated films this year.

and monsters u was a big surprise. i think it's great.

just came back from this movie. what an amazing film! the color and the music are all wonderful. the design of the characters and set pieces are beautiful also. as a 40 year old guy going to see this movie alone, I'm kinda relieved that there's quite a lot of young adults in the theater too. this movie definitely has the "Disney Magic" and it had lightened up my day a bit. is there a full non-English version of the songs from the movie?

Really enjoyed this, only thing that felt off to me was the
sudden death of the grandma
. it was just too sudden and convenient.

Leeness

Jermaine Clement's voice is really...sexy? During Shiny lmao. It's weird. I guess it's the Bowie feel the song has.

Well well well
Little Maui's having trouble with his look
You little semi demi mini god
Ouch what a terrible performance!
Get the hook (get it)
You don't swing it like you used to, man

JesseZao

Jemaine just has a sexy voice , and yes, him channeling Bowie enhances this. A big smile came across my face when the crab started talking /singing.

Really wish there could be a FotC season 3 :/.

I think Zootopia is locked in for the Oscar (though both Moana and Zootopia being really good might split the vote) but I'd rather see Moana take it. Hell I'd rather see Kubo and the Two Strings take home the Oscar over Zootopia.

Come at me bros

Come at you? No one is going to come at you. Everyone knows Disney Animation is better than Pixar now. It's been like that for quite a while.

Man, I thought this was way better than
Zootopia, which I thought was a great story wrapped in a poorly realized world with too many characters.

Moana is just the full package; story, dialogue, music, characters, setting...everything compliments each other so well. With an absolutely great climax.

Yeah, Zootopia doesn't do much for me. It just lacked a lot of fun and I didn't really connect with the characters. I did like the message and I respect the movie, but overall? Eh.

i do agree, but i was actually surprised by finding dory and monsters u when i saw them on a plane trip last month. both were a lot better than what i was expecting considering the reputation cars 2 had and that they released around the good dinosaur and brave. i think i might like dory second to zootopia for animated films this year.

and monsters u was a big surprise. i think it's great.

When I first watched Finding Dory I thought it was decent, but I thought maybe I needed to keep watching it and warm up to it. Well I watched it again yesterday and I thought it was actually terrible.

It all feels so unnecessary. For the first 20 minutes of the movie you can barely even tell if you're watching Finding Dory or Finding Nemo, Marlin and Nemo are boring, awful characters, Dory isn't even funny and the story is just plain boring. I think it's shockingly overrated. I'd say it's bottom tier Pixar and near Cars in terms of quality.

AniHawk

Jermaine Clement's voice is really...sexy? During Shiny lmao. It's weird. I guess it's the Bowie feel the song has.

Well well well
Little Maui's having trouble with his look
You little semi demi mini god
Ouch what a terrible performance!
Get the hook (get it)
You don't swing it like you used to, man

i was thinking bowie as well.

of course, clement has some experience with that

Just watched this earlier today and I really enjoyed it. Soundtrack was tops. I'd definitely rank it above the other Disney Animation Studios' CG films, aside from Zootopia which I haven't watched.

AniHawk

I think Zootopia is locked in for the Oscar (though both Moana and Zootopia being really good might split the vote) but I'd rather see Moana take it. Hell I'd rather see Kubo and the Two Strings take home the Oscar over Zootopia.

Yeah, Zootopia doesn't do much for me. It just lacked a lot of fun and I didn't really connect with the characters. I did like the message and I respect the movie, but overall? Eh.

zootopia's action scenes were integrated into the story and the constant oneupsmanship between nick and judy was pretty fun. there's also a sense of urgency to their mission that plays into their relationship nicely - first with nick stalling for time to screw with judy and later with him getting her the full time to complete the mission as originally promised. both characters have flaws that make them relateable too. nick is an underachiever and con man based on his experience with bullies, while judy's experience with a bully cements both her attitude as an overachiever as well as her prejudice towards predators. i think if you've ever been picked on, that you can at least relate to at least part of what the characters in the film did, and helps identify at least partially the kinds of people they develop into.

moana and maui both have that. maui is a lot more overt in that it's just kind of expositioned at the audience (which is fairly similar to nick's backstory). moana is way in over her head, and her flaws are more a lack of knowledge. i see a lot of ariel in her as a character, though moana obviously has better intentions. i think people can relate with moana's drive to do the thing they want to do as well as maui's need for acceptance. the problem i had with the movie is that it doesn't really connect with the problem in the film or the resolution at the end. monsters u has a pretty damn mature take on the whole 'you can do what you set your mind to!' message, and i was hoping for a bit more emotional resonance between the characters and the story being told.

as far as kubo goes - it's beautiful, has a good sense of urgency to drive the adventure along, and i really like the supporting cast and villains, but the resolution felt unearned mainly because kubo was kind of a jackass for most of the film and never really seemed to change.

When I first watched Finding Dory I thought it was decent, but I thought maybe I needed to keep watching it and warm up to it. Well I watched it again yesterday and I thought it was actually terrible.

It all feels so unnecessary. For the first 20 minutes of the movie you can barely even tell if you're watching Finding Dory or Finding Nemo, Marlin and Nemo are boring, awful characters, Dory isn't even funny and the story is just plain boring. I think it's shockingly overrated. I'd say it's bottom tier Pixar and near Cars in terms of quality.

i didn't really like the first twenty minutes either. it's essentially finding nemo on hyperdrive until dory gets into the park. then it starts to make more sense - although whenever marlin and nemo show up again, the story drags a bit. what i liked about it was that the flashbacks didn't feel like sudden intrusions on the story - they're connected to dory and it's more like the audience is seeing inside her head. and it's not so much a story about finding dory as it is about dory finding herself - who she is and where she came from. the big action sequence at the end wasn't at all necessary, but i did love that it connected back to finding her parents again. i think it also makes her character in nemo a lot fuller than it was, where even little moments like the swimming song carry a bit of emotional weight.

between this and monsters u, i think monsters u is the better of the two. i think it had a harder objective to pull off, and ends on a far stronger note.
i like it better than monsters inc too

I absolutely loved this. Favorite animated film of any kind since Inside Out. However, I have NOT seen Zootopia, so I can't compare. The characters were great, the comedy wasn't TOO over-the-top (though I did get a little tired of the pee jokes). Hei Hei is the greatest sidekick ever. First thing I did when I left the theater was pull up the soundtrack on Spotify and listen to How Far I'll Go and Shiny. Seriously, these songs are great. The build-up to each is so well-done, and when they finally kick in...so good. I hate to be that guy who has to compare everything, but I think I enjoyed Shiny and How Far I'll Go much more than Let It Go.

My ONLY complaint has to do with Maui. There were multiple speeches throughout Moana about inner strength. And Moana tells Maui his fishhook is not what makes him Maui. So I was a little bummed when
he is given a new hook at the end. I thought it would've played great to the lesson if he continued being a demi-god to the humans without it. Maybe this is a bit too cheesy, but I was really expecting him to find out he can transform without the hook.

Really enjoyed this, only thing that felt off to me was the
sudden death of the grandma
. it was just too sudden and convenient.
Even though we can't do this in real life, the movie seems to play at the Grandma
being weak and sick well before her passing. I believe we're supposed think she is sticking it out until Moana is told the truth and given the heart? Once the message is delivered, she is ready to move on.

One thing did seem odd.
When Moana had to give Maui a pep-speech, and was looking at his tattoos...she had this revelation kind-of moment when she was asks out loud something along the lines of "You did all that for the people?" in terms of pulling up the islands, stealing fire, etc. It seemed weird for her to speak in this revelation-like way since Maui sang about all of this and made it very clear what he was up-to in his song.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Awesome movie. Saw the dubbed version with my daughter, and the Dutch voices are a little iffy. Kenny B as the giant crab was great though.

The animation was out of this world though. Disney is truly killing it so far.

Ramsiege

Fantastic movie really enjoyed it. the songs were great, the animation fantastic, and the voices were casted perfectly.

But we I the only one with a sudden urge to play Wind Waker after watching this?

dlauv

In spite of some cringe moments this movie was super super good.

Anyone else thought You're Welcome's chorus was pretty similar to Siouxsie's cover of The Passenger? If that's intentional, it's pretty clever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom