• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemind

Thank you!

My most competent deck is green, red, black with Prossh as commander. I love the sacrifice mechanic and what you can do with it.

I'm working on beefing up the red, green, black, white partner commander deck I bought last weekend. Running Ravos and Tana as partners in that one.

Wondering if anyone has suggestions for cards that would punish life gain really well? I play with friends/family and I steam rolled my brother for months until he made an Oloro deck that I only beat about 40% of the time, and as a result, it's the only one he plays now. I want to add some things that punish life gain that don't commandeer the focus of the deck.

I found a few cards that punish life gain pretty well, but most people recommend finding ways to "hit harder" earlier, so I am open to suggestions. BTW, does anyone ever trade here on GAF?
Life gain isn't really relevant when you can go infinite with Food Chain...

The designs are all alright(Minus BFZ, but that's BFZ), but the fact that Development since BFZ has missed
  1. The Fetchable Lands and all the shit that followed involving the 4 color hell known as BFZ Standard(Despite making a mechanic that encourages this that was useless in limited and that in order to get full value you wanted to push 3+ colors, because why would you play Painful Truths for 2 when you can do Read the Bones for a better effect?)
  2. Green being an absolute shitshow in BFZ Limited, to the point where a mediocre non-green deck could still beat anything short of an excellent Green deck.
  3. Knowingly pushing the OGW Eldrazi despite knowing it could cause problems in older formats, with a large number of these Eldrazi not even seeing play in Standard( I just looked it up, none of the OGW Eldrazi are above 2% of Standard)
  4. Decided to try and push a creature heavily requested by commander players as a constructed staple, making something neither group wants.
  5. Decided to put Meld, a mechanic that honestly should have been in a large set to really make a splash into an already jammed small set( We had Transform, Escalate, Delirium, Emerge, and Madness in the set. I know Meld is tied to DFCs, but it doesn't help matters when it's fighting for all this design space.)
  6. Removed Naturalize from the format when Smuggler's Copter entered, meaning there is very little effective answers to the Copter.
  7. Even printing Smuggler's Copter as a conditional 3/3 for 2 that loots when it attacks.

Eldrazi was mostly just goofy in Modern, but that's more a product of Modern as a format than of the actual Eldrazi. They're actually one of the best things R&D has done for Legacy and Vintage in ages since they're a powerful, metagame-altering budget deck that doesn't ruin anything for other playstyles.

I dunno, as a long long long time player it's hard for me to look at this list and get all that worked up. It's multiple different fuck-ups on BFZ block (which I agree is an absolute disaster of both design and development), a couple fiddly little single card/mechanic issues like there have always been in every game since forever, and then a moderately overpowered artifact without a good enough counter. SOI/Kaladesh are way better developed than BFZ at minimum.

ajf009

Reposting from end of last page

Do you have a list? BW + Tron seems like it would be hard to get tron online.

3x Cavern of Souls
3x Caves of Koilos
1x Plains
1x Swamp
4x Urza's Mine
4x Urza's Power Plant
4x Urza's Tower
4x Path to Exile
4x Eldrazi Displacer
2x Matter Reshaper
2x Reality Smasher
4x Thought-Knot Seer
3x Wasteland Strangler
2x Karn Liberated
2x Ugin, the Spirit Dragon
2x Rest in Peace
4x Chromatic Sphere
4x Chromatic Star
4x Expedition Map
3x Relic of Progenitus

I really want to keep it bw trondrazi, but not having ancient stirrings is such a pain

traveler

Not Wario
Constructed players want Ishkanah. What are you talking about?

Also the problem was Eye not printing Eldrazi that are good in older formats. Eldrazi is great for older formats because it represents a budget option for Legacy and Vintage.

Assuming he was referring to the werewolf.

Constructed players want Ishkanah. What are you talking about?

Also, the problem was Eye, not printing Eldrazi that are good in older formats. Eldrazi is great for older formats because it represents a budget option for Legacy and Vintage.

I was talking Ulrich. No one wants him because he's shit as a commander and as a competitive card.

Eldrazi was mostly just goofy in Modern, but that's more a product of Modern as a format than of the actual Eldrazi. They're actually one of the best things R&D has done for Legacy and Vintage in ages since they're a powerful, metagame-altering budget deck that doesn't ruin anything for other playstyles.

I dunno, as a long long time player it's hard for me to look at this list and get all that worked up. It's multiple different fuck-ups on BFZ block (which I agree is an absolute disaster of both design and development), a couple fiddly little single card/mechanic issues like there have always been in every game since forever, and then a moderately overpowered artifact without a good enough counter. SOI/Kaladesh are way better developed than BFZ at a minimum.

I'd be more forgiving of the Eldrazi Winter if it had been a surprise to Wizards, but Ian Duke acknowledged that they thought it might be an issue and ran forwards with it. I'm willing to consider the Legacy/Vintage argument but I don't think that was Wizard's purpose with them. They wanted to sell these big, splashy Colorless Eldrazi for Standard and instead, they've created decks in every other big format.

To be fair, yeah, it's a lot of minor things. My main issue is that I started playing Standard in KTK Standard, and to go from that, where it felt like this huge open world of deckbuilding choices, with each archetype not really overlapping except for a few cards to BFZ Standard, where "Why aren't you playing $300 worth of fetch lands/$400 worth of Jace?" was something you had to ask yourself, or current standard with "Why aren't you playing Smuggler's Copter?". Yeah, I know Abzan was really prevalent back then, but it's not like there weren't decks that could beat Abzan. Plus, the finals match of Worlds that was an Abzan Mirror was a great example of the strategy involved.

I'd be more forgiving of the Eldrazi Winter if it had been a surprise to Wizards, but Ian Duke acknowledged that they thought it might be an issue and ran forwards with it.

That's just their default position on the non-rotating formats though. I prefer that, really, I don't think stuff that's totally safe for Standard should get hung up on the bigger formats (none of which are used in PT-level competition anymore and so all of which can deal with a season with a wackyshack meta before bans come out.)

To be fair, yeah, it's a lot of minor things. My main issue is that I started playing Standard in KTK Standard, and to go from that, where it felt like this huge open world of deckbuilding choices, with each archetype not really overlapping except for a few cards to BFZ Standard, where "Why aren't you playing $300 worth of fetch lands/$400 worth of Jace?" was something you had to ask yourself, or current standard with "Why aren't you playing Smuggler's Copter?".

Yeah, I mean, BFZ really is garbage. I can't really blame someone for looking askance at the formats that follow that nonsense even if they're not all that atypical historically speaking.

traveler

Not Wario
So LSV did that article on best looking basics a while back, but failed to include any modern, non full art choices amongst them. If you guys were constrained to the modern frame (just Mirrodin forward, doesn't have to be the absolute latest refinement) minus the ZEN/BFZ full arts, which ones would you nominate?

traveler

Not Wario
I started back with Alara,but didn't really realize how distinct the Esper lands looked till checking them out now. Those are definitely nice.

I like some of the Kamigawa ones, but, in general, the panorama stuff doesn't do anything for me since I'll be using all of the same basic in any given deck.

Guay's newest ones are definitely nice. I really like the swamp especially.

While searching on this subject, came across this great series on gathering magic that goes through each basic in its own article:

Plains
Forest
Mountain
Swamp
Island

bigkrev

So LSV did that article on best looking basics a while back, but failed to include any modern, non full art choices amongst them. If you guys were constrained to the modern frame (just Mirrodin forward, doesn't have to be the absolute latest refinement) minus the ZEN/BFZ full arts, which ones would you nominate?

Image.ashx
18323_200w.jpg
Image.ashx
78963_200w.jpg
Image.ashx

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Who cares if you dont have the full panorama? Each of the individual pictures for the Kamigawa lands are gorgeous.

Lorwyn swamps and the Ravnica sewer swamps are personal favorites.

dzelly

Life gain isn't really relevant when you can go infinite with Food Chain...

Unfortunately, I don't own one atm. I've been slowly adding to it over time. My spend can't be that crazy due to life in general. Also, having one route to an infinite combo in a 100 card deck isn't what I'd call a sure thing. Especially playing against that a-hole Oloro.

Daedardus

Actually, when I would play in a high level tournament, I would choose the ugliest lands available. It will throw my opponent off guard since he will continuously wonder why I made such a bad choice and it will give me a play advantage.

Wulfric

Actually, when I would play in a high level tournament, I would choose the ugliest lands available. It will throw my opponent off guard since he will continuously wonder why I made such a bad choice and it will give me a play advantage.

I can't bring myself to do this with a deck. Even worse, use a mixture of FS and MM Tarmogoyf and Ravnica Bob/Skrillex.

Ashodin

IT'S READY. THIS FRIDAY, OPAL-EYE SHALL RISE

1 Eiganjo Castle
1 Emeria, the Sky Ruin
1 Myriad Landscape
1 Mystifying Maze
31 Plains
1 Temple of the False God
1 Adarkar Valkyrie
1 Akroma, Angel of Wrath
1 Archangel of Tithes
1 Aura of Silence
1 Avacyn, Angel of Hope
1 Boonweaver Giant
1 Cage of Hands
1 Caged Sun
1 Commander Eesha
1 Darksteel Mutation
1 Darksteel Sentinel
1 Daybreak Coronet
1 Emeria Shepherd
1 Enlightened Tutor
1 Ethereal Armor
1 Expedition Map
1 Faith's Reward
1 Fiendslayer Paladin
1 Flickering Ward
1 Forced Worship
1 Ghostblade Eidolon
1 Gossamer Chains
1 Heliod, God of the Sun
1 Indestructibility
1 Inheritance
1 Karmic Guide
1 Knight of the White Orchid
1 Kor Cartographer
1 Kor Spiritdancer
1 Land Tax
1 Luminarch Ascension
1 Mammoth Umbra
1 Mesa Enchantress
1 Mind's Eye
1 Mirran Crusader
1 Mother of Runes
1 Mystic Crusader
1 Oblivion Ring
1 Opal-Eye, Konda's Yojimbo
1 Open the Vaults
1 Paladin en-Vec
1 Palisade Giant
1 Pariah
1 Path to Exile
1 Replenish
1 Return to Dust
1 Rune-Tail, Kitsune Ascendant
1 Sigil of the Empty Throne
1 Sol Ring
1 Solemn Simulacrum
1 Soul Snare
1 Sphere of Safety
1 Staff of Nin
1 Starfield of Nyx
1 Sun Titan
1 Sword of Fire and Ice
1 Sword of the Animist
1 Three Dreams
1 Twilight Shepherd
1 Unquestioned Authority
1 Vedalken Orrery
1 Weathered Wayfarer
1 Winds of Rath
1 Wrath of God

Firemind

Unfortunately, I don't own one atm. I've been slowly adding to it over time. My spend can't be that crazy due to life in general. Also, having one route to an infinite combo in a 100 card deck isn't what I'd call a sure thing. Especially playing against that a-hole Oloro.
Black has tutors so it's not too bad.

Also I had no idea Food Chain is worth so much now. It was a $0.25 rare when it came out. :lol

Santiako

Reposting from end of last page
3x Cavern of Souls
3x Caves of Koilos
1x Plains
1x Swamp
4x Urza's Mine
4x Urza's Power Plant
4x Urza's Tower
4x Path to Exile
4x Eldrazi Displacer
2x Matter Reshaper
2x Reality Smasher
4x Thought-Knot Seer
3x Wasteland Strangler
2x Karn Liberated
2x Ugin, the Spirit Dragon
2x Rest in Peace
4x Chromatic Sphere
4x Chromatic Star
4x Expedition Map
3x Relic of Progenitus

I really want to keep it bw trondrazi, but not having ancient stirrings is such a pain

I don't think you can stay in BW and run tron to be honest. Also, black seems kind of pointless in the deck, since it only gives you wasteland strangler. I feel you should either take the deck in a tronless direction (more of a eldrazi and taxes deck) or swap black for green (for stirrings mostly).

IT'S READY. THIS FRIDAY, OPAL-EYE SHALL RISE

That looks insanely fun, I love when people are original with their EDH decks.

Rosewater debuted the "Rabiah scale" (i.e. likelihood of returning to planes) today:

1 – Ravnica, Innistrad

2 – Zendikar

3 – Kaladesh, Theros

4 – Alara, Dominaria, Tarkir, Vryn

5 – Fiora, New Phyrexia (Mirrodin)

6 – Regatha

7 – Lorwyn/Shadowmoor, Shandalar

8 – Kamigawa, Segovia

9 – Mercadia, Rath, Serra’s Realm, Ulgrotha

10 – Rabiah

Couple surprises here:

• Theros is more likely than Tarkir.
  • Alara isn't less likely than Tarkir.
  • Dominaria is as likely as Tarkir. Basically everything at 4 is surprising!
  • Shandalar is so far down, even lower than Regatha, while Fiora is so high.

Santiako

I don't think people are going to be too thrilled to go back to Zendikar after BFZ block. Seeing Lorwyn and Kamigawa so low makes me sad.

Ashodin

Dominaria is deffo the anniversary block.

Yeah I love Ravnica and Innistrad and all, but fuck off for a while. You fucked up both last returns.

OnPoint

Wait.

Wait.

Rath?

Did the separate it from Dominaria? Supplemental block? That's fishy as hell that Rath is on there at all considering it doesn't technically exist anymore.

The issue with Shandalar is that through the core sets, they've been setting it up as the "generic plane", and it doesn't have any particular theme. Without core sets, there's less reason to go there.

I'm surprised to see Vryn so high up. Invasion of Vryn incoming?

Wait.

Wait.

Rath?

Did the separate it from Dominaria? Supplemental block? That's fishy as hell that Rath is on there at all considering it doesn't technically exist anymore.

MaRo probably believes that if the interest was really there, they could find a way to justify bringing Rath back. The interest isn't there, but it isn't impossible, hence 9 instead of 10.

bigkrev

Why are people convinced we are getting an anniversary set for the 25th? We got absolutely nothing for the 20th- the only anniversary they actually did something for was the 10th (where we got new card frames and the 8th Edition "reprint from every set" gimmick)

El Topo

The issue with Shandalar is that through the core sets, they've been setting it up as the "generic plane", and it doesn't have any particular theme. Without core sets, there's less reason to go there.

While that is true, there's quite a bit they could do mechanically given the lore of the plane. Wasn't it historically a plane extremely rich of mana, where spells were a common occurance for example?

kirblar

Alara and Tarkir are both harder to approach than the 3s because of the endings. That's the only real difference.

Hard not to read into the "Madness"/"8" stuff when you see Kamigawa sitting right there.

El Topo

Either way, Ulgrotha pls. Give us Sengir. Give us ferrets.

A plane full of spell shapers.

One of the things one could do, sure. You could play up the race that lived on Shandalar and disappeared, you could focus on the rogue aspect of the plane and somehow tie it into the mechanics. Lots of possibilities.

Ashodin

Either way, Ulgrotha pls. Give us Sengir.

One of the things one could do, sure. You could play up the race that lived on Shandalar and disappeared, you could focus on the rogue aspect of the plane and somehow tie it into the mechanics. Lots of possibilities.
Bring dudes from the old pc game.

Yo I want Kamigawa. That plane is still one of the most atypical magic settings ever.

El Topo

Yeah, Kamigawa deserves another shot.

Bring dudes from the old pc game.

Heck, they could even play up the whole dungeon aspect of the game for another set of masterpieces. Then again, there's more interesting choices for a plane, I won't deny that.

Ravnica is my favourite block and I missed RTR, so I can't wait for RTRTR. The full on RAV-GPT-DIS-RTR-GTC-DMZ sealed I did on GP London might be my favourite thing I've ever done with Magic.

Ravnica CoG is one of my favourite sets, it birthed my love for boros, but I didn't like the block at all, loved RTR but the block again was garbage and loathe the setting nowadays.

OnPoint

I'm so sick of Ravnica at this point. Politics bore me and nothing exciting happens there. It's the opposite of an adventure every time they go there.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
RTRTR

They need to stop planes hopping and do a multi-block storyline like the Good Old Days™.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom