• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Instant Pot (Pressure Cooker) is amazing aka suggest me more recipes

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaypah

We eat a lot of turkey necks here in New Orleans but they take so damn long to cook them and get them tender. I'm talking hours. I put them in the pressure cooker with some cajun seafood boil seasoning (a little Zatarain's liquid crab boil and some of the Zatarain's crab boil powder) and water and they're done in less than an hour. I let my mom try some and she couldn't believe that they tasted so good and tender but she was completely blown away when I told her how fast I cooked them. Now she asks me to make her some every time I'm going over to visit. And I do because I love my mama.

jaypah

Turkey necks eh, those things should be cheap to buy at the market now.

Pretty cheap all the time, really. Just get the meatiest ones you can find. Excellent texture and they hold flavor like a champ. Boil (or pressure cook) some split potatoes with generous seasoning and you have a nice meal.

btrboyev

Made homemade beef stew with potatoes, carrots, onions, celery and stew meat chunks in just 1 hour. Meat and potatoes were super tender.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
These are the only 2 I have tried in mine, I don't have the Instapot but I have a Cook's Essentials pressure cooker.

Chicken Tacos

Red beans and rice

The chicken taco recipe is the easiest recipe I've ever cooked. Frozen meat and half a jar of salsa, AND it tasted great too. I bet it would be better if you used chicken thighs but it's supposed to be healthy.

And the red beans and rice was just amazing.

manakel

I honestly (embarrassingly) never knew these existed..

I absolutely HATE cooking. I have a slow cooker, but I never use it because my schedule is so weird with work and grad school that I can never time it right. I'm definitely interested in this.. How does the food come out? Are there a lot of good, easy recipes you can make with this? And you can just put frozen chicken in and it comes out fine?!

ESBL

I absolutely HATE cooking. I have a slow cooker, but I never use it because my schedule is so weird with work and grad school that I can never time it right. I'm definitely interested in this.. How does the food come out? Are there a lot of good, easy recipes you can make with this? And you can just put frozen chicken in and it comes out fine?!

Someone told me they can cook frozen chicken breast in about 12 minutes. Its basically a reverse slow cooker.

Vhalyar

It comes out as good as the ingredients you put in, of course there's plenty of recipes since it's just a pressure cooker with more functions, and yes frozen chicken works.

Ponn

Banned
I got my replacement a couple days ago. The first one was shipped from Amazon in its original packaging and the front was dented in. i absolutely hate when companies ship shit like this to save a buck. I'm planning on making Turkey Noodle soup tonight with leftover Thanksgiving turkey. I'm a little antsy using a pressure cooker because my mom used one alot when I was a kid and it exploded on her one day and gave her third degree burns. It scared the shit out of me and i've been afraid of them since. Ive read up and heard these were very safe with built in mechanisms, I saw the dent on my first one though and was like "Nope". I'm hoping it works good because i've gotten into soups, stews and rice dishes more and this will come in handy for all of those.

I'm guessing I should be expecting boiled meat in a pressure cooker?

You're thinking of crock pots or slow cookers. Instant pot can do that to but thats not what a pressure cooker does. For instance Kentucky Fried Chicken is cooked in a pressure cooker. Also the Instant Pot has a saute feature that people better be using for their meats before pressure cooking or slow cooking.

SpecX

This thing fucking rocks. Went out and bought a roast and made pot roast for dinner. Got everything in there and started at 5:30, by 7 dinner was ready. What use to take me starting in the morning before work and waiting all day to slow cook took a little over an hour and the meat was just as soft and juicy.

This thing is going to save me money on meals. Going to try some other dishes throughout the week. Literally spent 20 bucks on dinner (not counting most the things I already had to cook with) and it took very little effort.

I don't have the Instant Pot, but my mom gave me her brand new Nesco PC6-25 Digital Pressure Cooker that she never uses. I just used it for the first time. Went with an easy recipe:

• 2 frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 cup of salsa
  • 1/2 cup of water

Pressure cooked on high for 12 minutes.

Delicious! I'm honestly blown away. Frozen chicken cooked perfectly in ~20 mins. Pure sorcery... I can't believe I had never used one of these things before.

Tonight I took this exact recipe except switched the salsa for (canned) cream of chicken.

Put it in the cooker, hopped in the shower, and by the time I was out it was done. So fucking easy! Pressure cookers are for real.

This sounds amazing. But it's like 120€. ��
Maybe I'll just get it for Christmas for myself. Treat yo self and all that.

Bummer man, you just missed the Cyber Monday sale too. It was on sale for $70. There's always next time!

glow

Banned
I got one recently. Made a Meyer lemon cheesecake last week that turned out delicious. Instant Pots are better for meat eaters but I can still make a few good recipes with it and it's a decent steamer too, for what it is.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF

It's kind of like cheating for some dishes. You throw in ingredients + seasoning, and edible food comes out later with no supervision needed from you. I've moved away from exclusively using the instant pot for cooking because sometimes you want to make stuff separately before putting it all together, but I still use mine really often.

For example, one super simple thing I've done with chicken drumsticks is throw in a few thawed chicken drumsticks, add some salt + soy sauce + Worcestershire sauce, roll the chicken around in the mixture for a bit, then close the lid and press the poultry button. Cooked drumsticks come out like 40 minutes later (including pressurize/depressurize time). Meat tends to come out of the instant pot very tender because it's good at keeping moisture.

I think it can cook from frozen too, but I usually thaw stuff in the fridge the day before I cook.
You're thinking of crock pots or slow cookers. Instant pot can do that to but thats not what a pressure cooker does. For instance Kentucky Fried Chicken is cooked in a pressure cooker. Also the Instant Pot has a saute feature that people better be using for their meats before pressure cooking or slow cooking.
Wait a minute. I can make fried chicken in an instant pot?

reKon

Banned
I need to know right now: If I was to go out to the grocery store and buy some chicken beast filets, could season these I toss these in the cooker and have perfectly prepared chicken filets in 20-30 mins?

I usually cook these by baking them..

Akuun

I need to know right now: If I was to go out to the grocery store and buy some chicken beast filets, could season these I toss these in the cooker and have perfectly prepared chicken filets in 20-30 mins?

Not 30 minutes but more like 40-50, once you add in the pressurization time and the depressurization time (you can't open the lid until it's depressurized).

http://instantpot.com/cooking-time/meat-poultry-beef-pork-and-lamb/

rtcn63

Seems like a lot of work. Why not just thaw, brine, and bake them in a toaster oven?

Laekon

Not 30 minutes but more like 40-50, once you add in the pressurization time and the depressurization time (you can't open the lid until it's depressurized).

I bake frozen chicken breast in the same amount of time. Start the oven, grab a baking dish, put the chicken in before its full heated, season after 10-15 minutes, and it's done at about 45 minutes total.

I have a pressure cooker and it's great for things like pork shoulders but for a few chicken breast it doesn't seem worth it.

norm9

I'd llike to know more about this.

I don't have the Instant Pot, but my mom gave me her brand new Nesco PC6-25 Digital Pressure Cooker that she never uses. I just used it for the first time. Went with an easy recipe:

• 2 frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 cup of salsa
  • 1/2 cup of water

Pressure cooked on high for 12 minutes.

Delicious! I'm honestly blown away. Frozen chicken cooked perfectly in ~20 mins. Pure sorcery... I can't believe I had never used one of these things before.

Haven't opened up my Instant Pot since it came in last week, but this will be the first thing I try. Seems impossible to screw up.

Denali

It's kind of like cheating for some dishes. You throw in ingredients + seasoning, and edible food comes out later with no supervision needed from you. I've moved away from exclusively using the instant pot for cooking because sometimes you want to make stuff separately before putting it all together, but I still use mine really often.

For example, one super simple thing I've done with chicken drumsticks is throw in a few thawed chicken drumsticks, add some salt + soy sauce + Worcestershire sauce, roll the chicken around in the mixture for a bit, then close the lid and press the poultry button. Cooked drumsticks come out like 40 minutes later (including pressurize/depressurize time). Meat tends to come out of the instant pot very tender because it's good at keeping moisture.

I think it can cook from frozen too, but I usually thaw stuff in the fridge the day before I cook.

There are pressure cookers than you can use oil with. This Instant Pot is not one of them, so as far as I know fried chicken is not on the menu.

KHarvey16

I made chicken last night with it. Took the frozen breast out, put it in the pot and put some sauce over it. Closed the lid and set the timer and I had chicken in less than 30 minutes. Depressurization takes 30 seconds.

Lyn

Banned
My sister and I got my mother this last year and she has loved it. She cooks everything from frozen chicken, soups, roast, ribs, and more in it and the food always seems to come out perfectly done. Chicken especially seems more moist than anything baked normally in an oven. These machines are fantastic overall.

Although it probably doesn't apply to most people here, one of the really incredible uses we discovered for it are producing a lot of food quickly. My grandfather is in his late 90s and unable to really cook for himself due to how much his hands hurt. So my mother ordered a lot of these microwavable plastic containers and cooks a lot of low-sodium fresh food in the pressure cooker. Within a few hours, we have a full weeks worth of meals made and packed up ready to go. We freeze them and he picks them up the next day. Amazing really, as that type of work would have taken most of the day via traditional methods.

nillapuddin

Real talk

This makes the best Kraft mac and cheese you can have.

Also hamburger helper and rice come out really well.

Everything is soft
and moist

Def looking into starting up some more recipes.

Akuun

I made chicken last night with it. Took the frozen breast out, put it in the pot and put some sauce over it. Closed the lid and set the timer and I had chicken in less than 30 minutes. Depressurization takes 30 seconds.
Oh, you mean the release valve. I forgot about that since I usually don't use it.

Yes, you can use the release valve to depressurize way faster, and that's a totally valid option. But keep in mind that it's steamy and potentially messier because of random fluids that could fly out if you're cooking something wet.

I ordered mine from the last thread that pointed out the cyber Monday sale. My cooking skills are very basic. I opened this up and used it yesterday to make some BBQ pulled pork sandwiches and it came out pretty good! I threw it in with garlic powder, salt, pepper, liquid smoke, and wine.

Good start so far!

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit

Wait...you don't even have to defrost the meat?

KHarvey16

Oh, you mean the release valve. I forgot about that since I usually don't use it.

Yes, you can use the release valve to depressurize way faster, and that's a totally valid option. But keep in mind that it's steamy and potentially messier because of random fluids that could fly out if you're cooking something wet.

Haven't had that issue yet. Sure the steam comes out but not enough liquid to make a mess or anything. Almost all recipes I've seen say to use it.

Yup, right from the freezer into the pot. Makes portioning and buying chicken very easy.

TigerKnee

1c27be7507f5587fe1004a72e44e035b.jpg

owlbeak

That's half the reason I bought mine. It's such a pain to cook frozen chicken breast. With this thing, I come home, dump one or two into the InstaPot with a half cup of water and some salt and pepper, set it for 17 minutes, and it comes out so juicy & tender it falls apart just trying to get it onto a plate.

Prax

I really should use my instant pot a lot more.
So far I only used it for rice. lol
But fast butter chicken or chicken breasts? MMMMM

BradC00

Finding out they make KFC in pressure cookers and then finding out instant pot is not able to do it was a roller coaster.

I made Japanese curry this weekend.

INGREDIENTS
· 1 medium onions
· 1 ½ medium carrot
· 3 Yukon gold potatoes
· 2 teaspoons minced garlic
· 1 ½ lb. (680 g) boneless skinless chicken thighs
· kosher salt
· Freshly ground black pepper
· 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
· 3 cups (720 ml) chicken stocks
· 1 package (8.4 oz, 240 g ) Japanese curry roux
· 1 Tbsp. ketchup
· 1 Tbsp. soy sauce

PREPARATION
• Cut the onion in h alf and cut the halves into 5 wedges
• Peel the carrot and cut into bite sizes.
• Peel the potatoes and cut into quarters. Soak in water to remove starch.
• Cut the meat into bite size pieces.
• Press the "Saute" button on your Instant Pot and heat 1 TBsp vegetable oil.
• When the pot is hot, add onion, and garlic.
• Add the chicken and coat with oil.
• Add carrot and potato to the pix and mix.
• Add 3 cups chicken broth and the curry roux. Keep curry on top.
• Cover and lock the lid. Press Meat/Stew button and cook for 15 minutes.
• Let naturally release.
• Add 1 tbsp ketchup and 1 tbsp soy sauce, mix.
• For rice, cook for 8 minutes (1:1 ratio rice to water)

It makes like 10 or more servings so imma have to trim that by half next time I think.

SpecX

Had that issue last night, but I put a cloth over as the steam/pressure released. It was just the initial burst that was juicy though that's what the catch container is for as well. Just have to be careful taking the cloth off as it's hot as hell, nothing a pair of tongs can't fix.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Nope! I made a quinoa/chicken meal a few weeks ago and you literally dump the chicken in from the freezer. Comes out perfect.

Haven't had that issue yet. Sure the steam comes out but not enough liquid to make a mess or anything. Almost all recipes I've seen say to use it.

Yup, right from the freezer into the pot. Makes portioning and buying chicken very easy.

That's half the reason I bought mine. It's such a pain to cook frozen chicken breast. With this thing, I come home, dump one or two into the InstaPot with a half cup of water and some salt and pepper, set it for 17 minutes, and it comes out so juicy & tender it falls apart just trying to get it onto a plate.

Amazing. I'm kind of upset I didn't look into pressure cookers sooner.

But Instant Pot can't make pressure cooker fried chicken?? That's unfortunate.

Ponn

Banned

There are pressure cookers than you can use oil with. This Instant Pot is not one of them, so as far as I know fried chicken is not on the menu.

My point was not to confuse the instant pot with a slow cooker only. KFC uses specialized pressure cookers. And I just used oil in my instant pot last night when I sauteed my veggies for my turkey soup. I wouldn't try to throw oil in it and pressure cook chicken though.

My turkey soup turned out great. I spent more time prepping then cooking, set it for 5 minutes and it was perfect, not mushy but everything was done. Probably going to use it mainly for experimenting with soups but I have some things I would like to try like a pot pie and lasagna. Slow cooker lasagna is the best so i'm figuring all my slow cooker recipes should be better in this.

Jesus, don't ever try to fry chicken in a pressure cooker, you could literally kill yourself.

None of the consumer pressure cookers are designed for deep frying. And they never have been.

Made a beef curry last night. Cut a cheap beef roast into steaks, browned them and removed to a plate. Sautéed garlic, ginger, onions, jalapeños. Added a ton of spices (coriander, cumin, clove, cinnamon, cardamom, turmeric, garam masala salt, pepper, a little fish sauce, etc. Then a 28 oz can of tomatoes and a regular can of coconut milk and added the meat back in. An hour later that stew beef was perfectly tender. Would've taken hours on the stove. Now I've got lunch for the week. Really good and dead simple. I like this thing.

I'm gonna have to watch for when they're on sale again, I almost pulled the trigger last week but didn't go through with it.

Jenov

This thread is making me hungry :( I regret not going for the prime deal for this thing. Guess I'll go make something in my regular slow cooker in 4-6 hours.

Liberty4all

Banned
Subscribing.

My wife and I also snagged one during the Amazon sale. Our rice cooker and crockpot slow cooker both broke recently... Really felt like we scored on this black Friday buy

SpecX

Funny, my wife mentioned how quick is was to make dinner last night and now 4 of her coworkers want an instant pot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom