• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plasma, LCD, OLED, LED, best tv for next gen

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I think the correct setting is rgb full on the system, black level normal on the TV.

That's what works best on my Samsung.

Yeah, naming conventions aside, I just mean they have to match.
Normal usually means full. I don't know why they switch up names like that and just help confuse people.

b0bbyJ03

I think the correct setting is rgb full on the system, black level normal on the TV.

That's what works best on my Samsung.

Correct. Full on the device goes with high black level on the TV and limited on the device goes with low black level on the TV. Unfortunately the TV will not change the settings to match. You have to do it manually.

20161208_170142mbsy5.jpg

The future of 4K HDR broadcast content is looking bright fellas! The 4 minute clip is just not enough, absolutely beautiful, it makes all other iplayer content look like 240p with no colour.

Anarion07

20161208_170142mbsy5.jpg

The future of 4K HDR broadcast content is looking bright fellas! The 4 minute clip is just not enough, absolutely beautiful, it makes all other iplayer content look like 240p with no colour.

Where can I get demos like that?
Can I play them via USB?
Only got my OLED 2 weeks ago and only been streaming 4k by now.

20161208_170142mbsy5.jpg

Is that a 2016 Oled playing hlg content? I'm guessing it's on the screen but not actually hlg.

Although capable, it wouldn't surprise me if LG hold back HLG support until their 2017 sets.

Who knows, that would be out of order though, my Panasonic seemingly became capable through the BBC app, no firmware! But I don't know if they had a framework in place beforehand, but having said that last year's CX models have it too.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
It looks like Sony might be releasing a OLED tv next year. I will be curious to see how it stacks up to the LG.

http://www.avsforum.com/rumors-of-sony-oled-tv-confirmed/
Perhaps most importantly, Young reports that the 55″ model is expected to list for $2000, while the MSRP of the 65-incher will be $3000. If that’s true, the new TVs will be even less than LG’s entry-level B6 OLED, which currently carries an MSRP of $2300 for the 55-incher and $3300 for the 65″ model (though they can be found for less from various retailers). I’d wager that the Sony OLEDs will not be discounted, at least at first, while LG might feel the heat and drop their list prices yet again.

How the fuck.

holygeesus

Banned
It looks like Sony might be releasing a OLED tv next year. I will be curious to see how it stacks up to the LG.

http://www.avsforum.com/rumors-of-sony-oled-tv-confirmed/

The price is really the only thing exciting about Sony making a set with LG panels IMO. The current Loewe bild 7, also uses an LG panel, and doesn't really offer a significant improvement, despite the price tag.

Sony will likely not be able to keep up their usual decent build quality, and it is unclear whether they would be able to improve motion and scaling, as that could just be a side-effect of the technology rather than anything else.

Still will be an interesting year for us OLED fans.

BumRush

I'll throw up the new OT in a bit so we can appease the mods, then I'll start to add content after work. If the regulars could help me with content it would be appreciated.

Kyoufu

I'll throw up the new OT in a bit so we can appease the mods, then I'll start to add content after work. If the regulars could help me with content it would be appreciated.

The thread title should be OLED, OLED, OLED, OLED, best tv for next gen. :p

time to take plasma out imo

BumRush

Xia suggested something to the effect of

Television Displays and Technology |OT|

or something to that effect. Any suggestions?

lol, perfect

BumRush

Television Displays and Technology |OT| - Kyoufu and the quest for a sub-$10K 80" OLED

Television Displays and Technology |OT| - a Fantasy based in OLED

Why not simply change the thread title? Something like "Official Thread of 4K TVs" or something along those lines?

Edit:
Television Displays and Technology |OT| - Kyoufu and the quest for a sub-$10K 80" OLED

Television Displays and Technology |OT| - a Fantasy based in OLED

Something like this is cool I guess.

The Beard

The price is really the only thing exciting about Sony making a set with LG panels IMO. The current Loewe bild 7, also uses an LG panel, and doesn't really offer a significant improvement, despite the price tag.

Sony will likely not be able to keep up their usual decent build quality, and it is unclear whether they would be able to improve motion and scaling, as that could just be a side-effect of the technology rather than anything else.

Still will be an interesting year for us OLED fans.

The price is the most exciting thing, yes, but it's not the only thing. Sony's video processing software is miles above LG's. You can expect all sub 4K content to look much better on the Sony.

Input lag may or may not be worse on the Sony, but that doesn't matter to me. I'll have a separate LCD set for gaming.

Kyoufu

The price is the most exciting thing, yes, but it's not the only thing. Sony's video processing software is miles above LG's. You can expect all sub 4K content to look much better on the Sony.

Input lag may or may not be worse on the Sony, but that doesn't matter to me. I'll have a separate LCD set for gaming.

Eh, I'd do the gaming on the OLED. Both LG and Sony would be low enough lag wise for a good time.

The Beard

Eh, I'd do the gaming on the OLED. Both LG and Sony would be low enough lag wise for a good time.

I'm only interested in the OLED for watching movies and shows, especially movies. I don't play as often as I used to, but when I do sit down for a sesh, I'll be on for like 5 or 6 hours straight. I don't want to worry about image retention (not burn-in) from 6+ straight hours of having a hot-white HUD on the screen.

III-V

I'm only interested in the OLED for watching movies and shows, especially movies. I don't play as often as I used to, but when I do sit down for a sesh, I'll be on for like 5 or 6 hours straight. I don't want to worry about image retention (not burn-in) from 6+ straight hours of having a hot-white HUD on the screen.

I would be concerned after the 20 hour mark, 5-6 should be no issue in the least.

holygeesus

Banned

You can't expect anything. We have not seen how Sony handle processing with OLED yet. What they have done with LCD isn't really relevant. You are just guessing.

The Chef

Have been looking at getting a 65" soon. I dont care to get it before Christmas and if it means I'll likely get a better deal to wait till after the holidays I am fine with that.

I did see this Sony Bravia 65" 4K HDR XBR65X750D for $1000 at Best Buy. Seems to be significantly cheaper than any other 65" Best Buy carries.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-65-class-64-5-diag--led-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv-with-high-dynamic-range-black/4803800.p?skuId=4803800

Appears to have pretty good reviews too. Any thoughts?

Top Bottom