• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Equipment, as a rule, can only attach to creatures you control. You could not use the Equip mechanic to attach these cards to opponents creatures, you would have to do something like the Cranial Plating cycle, writing out "X,: Attach this equipment to target creature your opponent controls", in addition to having an equip cost that could only be used on your own stuff.

It's overly complicated and confusing and probably powerful in limited that the only place for it is supplamental product, and I really don't think there is any demand for this type of stuff

When THIS enters the battlefield attach it to target creature an opponent controls.

When THIS enters the battlefield take control of target creature an opponent controls until end of turn. Equip 4

You don't need have to make it able to switch among enemy creatures it enables itself the first time and otherwise you have to find ways to use it.

bigkrev

When THIS enters the battlefield attach it to target creature an opponent controls.

When THIS enters the battlefield take control of target creature an opponent controls until end of turn. Equip 4

You don't need have to make it able to switch among enemy creatures it enables itself the first time and otherwise you have to find ways to use it.

Alright, lets take the design of "Equipped creature can't attack"

Muzzle 2
Equipment
When Muzzle enters the battlefield, attach it to target creature an opponent controls

Equipped creature can't attack

Equip 2.

Here are the problems with this card. It's confusing- even if you put the reminder text for Equip on it, newer players are going to think that you can pay the equip cost and move it on to an opponents creature, because there are zero circumstances in a game of limited where you would ever put this on your own creature, and maybe a 0.000000001% reason you would equip your own creature in a game of constructed.

Let's compare it to the effect as an Aura, which they have done varients of in the past
forcedworship.jpg

This is a much cleaner example of what you want done. It can be played on any creature without having to add a rider to traditional rules, and it has a mechanic built in that lets you move it around.

People have to learn about the intricacies of equip eventually. It comes up whenever there's loss of control of an equipped creature or just recently the artifact from commander that attaches all equipments to itself.

bigkrev

People have to learn about the intricacies of equip eventually. It comes up whenever there's loss of control of an equipped creature or just recently the artifact from commander that attaches all equipments to itself.

They got rid of Shroud and made Hexproof the new normal.
They aren't going to make cards that are intentionally confusing anymore

What? http://magiccards.info/query?q=t%3A"equipment"&v=card&s=cname On the first page 14/20 Equipments don't have reminder text for Equip.

What's the upside of your solution compared to Enchantments anyway? Just for Affinity and "artifacts matter" stuff? Does it do anything different in a vacuum?

Weird always thought they spell it out most of the time, unless they are really hurting for space but looking just at standard cards they are even cutting it for flavour text.

It's weird that all chains are magical in nature when people can be chained by actual chains within the game's system just fine.

Weird always thought they spell it out most of the time, unless they are really hurting for space but looking just at standard cards they are even cutting it for flavour text.

It's weird that all chains are magical in nature when people can be chained by actual chains within the game's system just fine.

It's all magic.

Artifacts start out as spells that can be countered. Same for everything else except lands. A theoretical chain equipment would still be magic

Wulfric

Well, that's one more Grand Prix in the books. Although I didn't play in the main event, I had a blast playing over 20 rounds of Legacy over the course of the weekend. Getting a 4x multiplier in the GPTs was great, although I'm not close enough for GP byes this season. I ended up getting 3 warnings over the course of the weekend, every time due to my own DKA Thalia and Heretic Cathar. You know, cause legacy is hard.

Pastimes also offered a chaos draft where everyone got either MM2015 or EMA plus two random packs. I opened a foil Spellskite which I was able to trade into a 3ED Badlands. The side events fired on time and prize support was fair for the price. I'm impressed considering the the grumblings I've heard about this particular tournament organizer in the past. This GP certainly has me considering Minneapolis or Columbus next year.

The highlight of the event were the artists for sure. Jesper Myrfors spoke to me about the earlier set art direction, and he jokingly mentioned that all his card artwork was older than I was (which is true). I'm 21, so I really didn't experience his art until I got deeper into the game, but he was fun to talk to. Aaron Miller mentioned he still hadn't made it into the Spectrum art awards. He also told me Cynthia Sheppard isn't allowed to do artwork for sets that she is already the art director for. The derpy looking Ajani he drew me was $25 (with color!). Steve Argyle was pretty busy the whole weekend. I had to schedule an appointment for my playmat sketch, although it turned out a lot better than I expected. His wife did most of the chit chat/money stuff, which was a little funny to watch but understandable considering the crowd around his table. I ended up getting three more playmat sketches by the end of the weekend from rk post, Miller, and Argyle.

Overall, it was great time. Even if all my prize packs were crap. ;)

alternade

Would an equipment like this work?

Muzzle Boomerang 4
Artifact

You may cast ~ before combat and time you could play an instant.

When ~ enters the battlefield, choose a creature in play.

Attach ~ to the chosen creature. It gains defender and protection from its colors.

4: Return ~ and the attached creature to their owners hand.

New AER card posted by a french community manager:

Repression du consulat

3WW Enchantment

When ~~ enters the battlefield, exile all artifacts that your opponent controls until ~~ leaves the battlefield.
(rough translation from reddit)

traveler

Not Wario
So we get a big Kaladesh block hate card (although this is defiinitely more Hedron Network than Ancient Grudge or Rest in Peace) in the same block, yet the graveyard continues to have free reign. Wonder when they saw fit to print the first bit of graveyard hate.

Not sure what you'd board this in against at the moment- RB aggro with Smuggler's Copters? Think I'd still rather have fumigate, but this does hit vehicles and deals with Scrapheap Scrounger. I guess it's ok against the new Panharmonicon deck as well. Also relevant to note that this dodges fragmentize, so you'll need dedicated enchantment hate, or the fairly unplayed collective effort at least, to hit it.

Ashodin

Ah, that's the first Story Moment card too!

Rough french translation of the flavor text:

"The artificers have been silenced. Our creations have been seized. They have killed our will to live." - Pia Nalaar

So we get a big Kaladesh block hate card (although this is defiinitely more Hedron Network than Ancient Grudge or Rest in Peace) in the same block, yet the graveyard continues to have free reign. Wonder when they saw fit to print the first bit of graveyard hate.

Wait for the full spoiler?

Pundere

Important distinction: Is 'your opponent' supposed to be target opponent or your opponents? If it's the latter it could be a fairly useful edh card. At worst you're slowing everyone else down by removing their mana rocks, at best you ruin the artifact deck's day.

Important distinction: Is 'your opponent' supposed to be target opponent or your opponents? If it's the latter it could be a fairly useful edh card. At worst you're slowing everyone else down by removing their mana rocks, at best you ruin the artifact deck's day.

there's no target far as I can tell. Gotta be fun combined with open the vault.

Ashodin

votre adversaire means "your opponents". So in an EDH game, everyone but your stuff gets exiled.

it's conjured by magic but artifacts are physical in a way enchantments are not.

There's precedent for enchantments to also represent physical items and places. Chains of Mephistopheles, Concordant Crossroads, the Honden cycle in Kamigawa, and Moat for example. It makes sense for chain-flavored pacifism effects to be enchantments.

This is a case where the gameplay mechanics work very well, and the flavor is justified even if not ideal, so it isn't really worth complaining about it. The alternative is clunky, awkward, and not worth the hoop-jumping.

No. Adversaire is singular. Adversaires would be plural. Chances are they forgot the s.
It would be vos adversaires though.
There's precedent for enchantments to also represent physical items and places. Chains of Mephistopheles, Concordant Crossroads, the Honden cycle in Kamigawa, and Moat for example. It makes sense for chain-flavored pacifism effects to be enchantments.

This is a case where the gameplay mechanics work very well, and the flavor is justified even if not ideal, so it isn't really worth complaining about it. The alternative is clunky, awkward, and not worth the hoop-jumping.
This isn't a big issue, it'd just be fun to flash in an equipment that attaches to an opponent's creature with various cards.

Enchantments being physical should be rather rare enough to be considered outliers.

Wulfric

Does anyone have experience with Badlands in Grixis Delver? I know it's kind of unconventional, but I swear I saw a decklist from GP Seattle with a copy. The only downside I can think of is that you can't tap it and bounce for Daze. Otherwise you can cast Young Pyromancer, Deathrite Shaman, and Gurmag Angler with it.

Does anyone have experience with Badlands in Grixis Delver? I know it's kind of unconventional, but I swear I saw a decklist from GP Seattle with a copy. The only downside I can think of is that you can't tap it and bounce for Daze. Otherwise you can cast Young Pyromancer, Deathrite Shaman, and Gurmag Angler with it.

It's surreal to me that an original dual land in two of the three colors in a Legacy deck is an unconventional choice. I get that there are reasons why, but... man.

Wulfric

It's surreal to me that an original dual land in two of the three colors in a Legacy deck is an unconventional choice. I get that there are reasons why, but... man.

It's because it doesn't tap for blue. A mix of Underground/Volcanic/Tropical is the most common manabase. Even Bayou isn't that great of a pick.

Badlands: $67
Underground Sea: $250

Yeah, an extra $200 for one color. I already have one each of Volcanic and Trop, but they are damn pricey.

red13th

Dual lands being on the reserved list is the worst thing about Magic, I hate many things but that makes me cry a little every day.

Wulfric

I honestly would not care if they were reprinted as a mythic cycle in EMA 2. The format is fun as hell and it's a shame so many people are locked out of it thanks to duals being as expensive as they are. Blowing up lands and casting Stifle on a fetch is a hoot.

I simply don't think there is a way to print them again without hurting smaller stores and sending players into a panic. Thousands of dollars of inventory would simply vanish overnight even in the most limited print run. It's not as easy as sending them to the printer; these cards are the backbone of many collections.

OnPoint

I honestly would not care if they were reprinted as a mythic cycle in EMA 2. The format is fun as hell and it's a shame so many people are locked out of it thanks to duals being as expensive as they are. Blowing up lands and casting Stifle on a fetch is a hoot.

I simply don't think there is a way to print them again without hurting smaller stores and sending players into a panic. Thousands of dollars of inventory would simply vanish overnight even in the most limited print run. It's not as easy as sending them to the printer; these cards are the backbone of many collections.

As someone who owns a full 40 duals...

I agree.

Please reprint them.

Wulfric

As someone who owns a full 40 duals...

I agree.

Please reprint them.

When did you first get them? It seems like people who bought them post-spike would like them to stay high.

And let's not forget about The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale. $1000 for one makes Underground Sea look like a bargain.

lupin23rd

As someone who wants to get a full set of foreign black border dual lands (working on one of each for commander now), and would continue to pursue that even after a reprint, yes please reprint them lol

bigkrev

I wonder how non fetchable dual lands with no drawbacks would work in standard/modern.

ie,
Spooky River
Land
Tap: add U or B to your mana pool

They wouldn't be strictly better than Shocks (which can be fetched) or Painlands (which can produce colorless mana). They would be strictly better than the Game Trail cycle we currently have in Standard, the M10 duals, and the Scars/Kaladesh fastlands.

My guess is they would be fine for Modern, and would be OK in the old standard in the core set slot (so they would only be legal for 15 months) or if they kept the 3 block rotation in the newer standard, but they make designing lands really hard

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
I wonder how non fetchable dual lands with no drawbacks would work in standard/modern.

ie,
Spooky River
Land
Tap: add U or B to your mana pool

They wouldn't be strictly better than Shocks (which can be fetched) or Painlands (which can produce colorless mana). They would be strictly better than the Game Trail cycle we currently have in Standard, the M10 duals, and the Scars/Kaladesh fastlands.

My guess is they would be fine for Modern, and would be OK in the old standard in the core set slot (so they would only be legal for 15 months) or if they kept the 3 block rotation in the newer standard, but they make designing lands really hard

Not being fetchable is only a factor in Standard environments where fetchlands are also legal. In most Standard environments, like right now, they'd effectively be dual lands.

My guess is that they'd be too strong in Standard, and played in place of fastlands in Modern.

OnPoint

When did you first get them? It seems like people who bought them post-spike would like them to stay high.

And let's not forget about The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale. $1000 for one makes Underground Sea look like a bargain.

I had a few from when i was a kid. Then I completed the set slowly a few years back.

An-Det

It'd be fine, though I wouldn't go beyond the one. Sometimes you really need that color combination, so having a one-of of the odd dual is worth it.

Ashodin

I just want cards to be more accessible. Damn the financiers, they are a small part of the game otherwise. More casual players (the majority of the players of Magic) don't care about the value.

Wulfric

I had a few from when i was a kid. Then I completed the set slowly a few years back.

That's definitely a goal of mine. This weekend I was awestruck by a Shardless BUG deck packing seven Beta duals. Forget robbing the jewelry store, come to a legacy event instead. I figure there was at least $60,000 in cards at our tables for a 26 player event. It's kinda crazy when you think about how much they've gone up in the past few years.

It'd be fine, though I wouldn't go beyond the one. Sometimes you really need that color combination, so having a one-of of the odd dual is worth it.

Thanks, I'll give it a try. It's better than another basic Island slot.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I just want cards to be more accessible. Damn the financiers, they are a small part of the game otherwise. More casual players (the majority of the players of Magic) don't care about the value.

A lot of those financiers are LGS and other card sellers that are getting burned right now by things like overprintings, reprints and masterpieces. I dont really want to see what happens to them when you murder the reserve list.

Wulfric

A lot of those financiers are LGS and other card sellers that are getting burned right now by things like overprintings, reprints and masterpieces. I dont really want to see what happens to them when you murder the reserve list.

Yup, the SCG/Hareruyas of the world will do just fine. But the shops which travel to events to buy and sell will be under even more pressure if there are alternatives to their stock of ABUR duals. The system in place right now is imperfect, but there seems to be just enough people buying Mox Pearls and Gaea's Cradles to keep the prices high and vendors satisfied.

It'll be interesting to see if the current crop of college kids will cough up for legacy like many have for modern in a couple years. Some of them might drive a shit car and deliver pizza to pay the rent, but we all seem to have sick Jund decks. :D

I just realized Pia Nalaar is a great sideboard card for my metallurgic summonings deck, both against aggressive decks as well as decks that lead to boardstalls and I'll maindeck a traverse the ulvenwald.

Maledict

Who would you want to make an artefact that even further encroaches on enchantment design space? I mean, between coloured artefacts and equipment artefacts have already massively occupied the areas where enchantments used to sit, and adding in equipment that can be used on your opponent would basically remove one of the last unique areas they have.

I still don't get why they didn't implement the 'no global effect' artefacts rule they talked about during mirroring design space. Yes, it would contradict how artefacts used to be designed previously, but then every game design change does that!

Ashodin

Let's be honest here - the majority of LGS sell their singles to online sellers rather than locals. Even my LGS gets way more value out of selling to bigger retailers and shipping their product out instead of waiting for Joe Schmo to buy their coveted Transmute Artifact or some shiz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom