• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

Yeah, I don't think this is accurate. Drafting is the format that exists so people can have a zero-prep, fixed-buy-in mode of play; you don't have draft and you lose a huge amount of stickiness as people who don't have a deck ready or aren't willing to drop hundreds immediately on a new set release don't have a good way to participate.

This is where we'll disagree: many of the players in my area (at different LGS) have stated that they feel draft is just too much money investment to get into; that the entry fee is too much for cards they'll likely not care about after using. It may be a southern thing, that Magic players are too strapped for cash.

kirblar

Yeah I just remember there was a period where our standard events had their rounds going to time consistently because of multiple players with Resto + Thragtusk and it becoming a very grindy game.
This was Elixir. If decks couldn't stall like that it effectively capped the lifegain potential.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
No, it's not, but that's what it's there for. It's the "budget" way to get into playing the game seriously.

I don't think you would be surprised, but some people would, at how my ultra-casual friends LOVE when I bring over a box and suggest we play Sealed vs. bringing over some EDH decks or whatever.

The idea of Limited has a lot of appeal to the type of casual player that hates the idea of paying to win, actually.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
The draft I won with a deck made of two Pack Rats, 37 swamps and an Ultimate Price was the height of skill and I reject any claim otherwise.

Mishra's Bauble should've been a masterpiece.

I mean, Not Forgotten exists already. Even though Beckon is cheaper and Instant, I don't think it'd be strong enough to be sufficient graveyard hate in this format.

30.jpg
There's also shamble back but sorcery and instant speed make a hell of a difference
being able to disrupt delirium at instant speed, to exile emrakul exactly when they go for a regrowth on her and such would be most of the reason to run these.

As someone who loved flooding the boards with Zombies back in the Sidisi days, I'm very disappointed with the current lame zombie builds and graveyard dynamics in standard.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The draft I won with a deck made of two Pack Rats, 37 swamps and an Ultimate Price was the height of skill and I reject any claim otherwise.

Mishra's Bauble should've been a masterpiece.

Mishra's Bauble is a card they should just put in a random Commander deck to make it cheaper instead of randomly being expensive.

I think a lot of the standard criticism is kind of missing an obvious point.

Standard is having problems as a consequence of the quality of the past couple of standard seasons, not as a consequence of how standard is now. Changing current standard won't undo 4 color standard and coco standard. That's what this is a reaction to.

It's like when there's a lot of hype going into a game or movie release. Regardless of how that game or movie actually is it'll still sell gangbusters. But if turns out to be bad, the sequel won't sell nearly as well. We're literally experiencing this effect right now with standard rotation.

Not that I disagree with a lot of the criticism being thrown at wizards.

kirblar

I think a lot of the standard criticism is kind of missing an obvious point.

Standard is having problems as a consequence of the quality of the past couple of standard seasons, not as a consequence of how standard is now. Changing current standard won't undo 4 color standard and coco standard. That's what this is a reaction to.

It's like when there's a lot of hype going into a game or movie release. Regardless of how that game or movie actually is it'll still sell gangbusters. But if turns out to be bad, the sequel won't sell nearly as well. We're literally experiencing this effect right now with standard rotation.

Not that I disagree with a lot of the criticism being thrown at wizards.
Both of those were problems, but this standard is really unfun in a way those weren't because the cards suck to play against.

I want to start working on my Akiri, Silas Voltron EDH deck. The first step is to narrow down the amount of creatures played as much as possible. I really just want essentials bar a few pet cards.

Currently I'm thinking
not sure if I want the Breya combo in the deck or not and even if I want the combo if I want the redundancy of eldrazi displacer, with neither of my commanders having an ETB effect it's unlikely I get much use of the ability otherwise. I imagine Breya, KCI and Nim's Deathmantle would be enough when she isn't my commander. Probably gonna run a Snapcaster though.

Am I missing any of the essential creatures for a voltron equipment deck? Running all swords the thopter combo, etc. etc. is porb too much to also run kaldratron.

First draft.

//Commander
1 Akiri, Line-Slinger
1 Silas Renn, Seeker Adept

//Lands
1 Academy Ruins
1 Adarkar Wastes
1 Ancient Den
1 Ancient Tomb
1 Blood Crypt
1 Bloodstained Mire
1 Cavern of Souls
1 Celestial Colonnade
1 City of Brass
1 Command Tower
1 Exotic Orchard
1 Flooded Strand
1 Gemstone Caverns
1 Godless Shrine
1 Great Furnace
1 Hallowed Fountain
1 Inventors' Fair
1 Island
1 Mana Confluence
1 Mountain
2 Plains
1 Polluted Delta
1 Reflecting Pool
1 Sacred Foundry
1 Seat of the Synod
1 Shambling Vent
1 Steam Vents
1 Swamp
1 Tolaria West
1 Vault of Whispers
1 Volrath's Stronghold
1 Watery Grave
1 Windswept Heath
1 Wooded Foothills

//Artifacts
1 Batterskull
1 Conqueror's Flail
1 Cranial Plating
1 Expedition Map
1 Krark-Clan Ironworks
1 Lightning Greaves
1 Loxodon Warhammer
1 Mana Crypt
1 Mask of Memory
1 Masterwork of Ingenuity
1 Mox Opal
1 Nihil Spellbomb
1 Nim Deathmantle
1 Pyrite Spellbomb
1 Sol Ring
1 Sunforger
1 Swiftfoot Boots
1 Sword of Body and Mind
1 Sword of Feast and Famine
1 Sword of Fire and Ice
1 Sword of Light and Shadow
1 Sword of the Meek
1 Sword of War and Peace
1 Talisman of Dominance
1 Talisman of Progress
1 Thopter Foundry
1 Time Sieve
1 Umezawa's Jitte
1 Wayfarer's Bauble
1 Whispersilk Cloak

//Enchantments
1 Ghirapur Æther Grid
1 Rhystic Study
1 Sigarda's Aid

//Instants
1 Anguished Unmaking
1 Boros Charm
1 Counterflux
1 Cyclonic Rift
1 Dispatch
1 Enlightened Tutor
1 Orim's Thunder
1 Path to Exile
1 Render Silent
1 Swords to Plowshares
1 Utter End
1 Vampiric Tutor

//Sorceries
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Fabricate
1 Steelshaper's Gift
1 Supreme Verdict

//Planeswalkers
1 Daretti, Ingenious Iconoclast
1 Daretti, Scrap Savant
1 Tezzeret the Seeker
1 Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas

//Creatures
1 Breya, Etherium Shaper
1 Etched Champion
1 Godo, Bandit Warlord
1 Kemba, Kha Regent
1 Phyrexian Metamorph
1 Puresteel Paladin
1 Snapcaster Mage
1 Stoneforge Mystic
1 Stonehewer Giant
1 Trophy Mage

//Maybeboard
1 Skullclamp
Not sure I have enough card draw, mana ramp or can do shit about destroy all artifacts effects.

Edit: Damn it just remembered I have to cut a card to go down to 98.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
It's a 3/10 format because the games suck. It's not the metagame, it's that people don't want to play against a bunch of the cards- it's the same reason a lot of people are nope'ing out on HS.

Ari may have less of a problem with the games, but clearly, a lot of people do.

Yes, this format isn't shitty for the same reasons the other ones were shitty- this is a bad format because of a bunch of design paradigms taken to an illogical extreme.

BattleCruiser Magic hasn't worked well both times they've pushed it in both limited and constructed. Hopefully they take the lesson.

When was the other time?

Hero

This was Elixir. If decks couldn't stall like that it effectively capped the lifegain potential.

Did that deck play Elixir? I don't recall that but I could be remembering incorrectly. Was it Bant and they played Sphinx's Rev too? I remember that being a shitty period.

Ashodin

Oh hey look EDH card.

Paradox engine is ridiculous

Especially with possibility storm

Cast spell, untap, make mana, get new spell, cast it, untap make more mana, keep going infinite

Angry Grimace

Oh hey look EDH card.

Paradox engine is ridiculous

Especially with possibility storm

Cast spell, untap, make mana, get new spell, cast it, untap make more mana, keep going infinite
IDK man I might play Planar Bridge in Tron.

Angry Grimace

I'm gonna make infinite mana with Cryptolith Rites plus Fabricate dudes and the Engine and sac them all to Vampiric Rites until I draw Decimator and win immediately.

Trust me it's the best 5 card combo in Standard.

I like how it has the text on it that Aetherworks Marvel *should* have on it.

Yeef

There's also shamble back but sorcery and instant speed make a hell of a difference

being able to disrupt delirium at instant speed, to exile emrakul exactly when they go for a regrowth on her and such would be most of the reason to run these.
The problem is the most common regrowths (Grapple and Liliana) don't target and mill as well. In my experience, the odds of keeping someone off of delirium by removing a single card from their yard is pretty slim.

[EDIT] Paradox Engine should be really strong with improvise and the quicksmith guys.

The problem is the most common regrowths (Grapple and Liliana) don't target and mill as well. In my experience, the odds of keeping someone off of delirium by removing a single card from their yard is pretty slim.

It's most important early turns but even late there's usually one type that only has 1 card in the GY which can possibly delay emrakul by a turn.

Eating a Grim Flayer that attacked as a 4/4 or denying an ishkanah trigger or traverse tutor would be huge blowouts.

OnPoint

This is actually an interesting thought. My main concern is that you'd still be taking a turn off when I'd rather be dropping Karn or something. It also doesn't optimize Eldrazi. I dunno.

As a one-of for the later game? I think this card is at least worth a look. Going to get an Ugin doesn't seem like a bad thing if you have excess mana floating about but no cards to play.

As a one-of for the later game? I think this card is at least worth a look. Going to get an Ugin doesn't seem like a bad thing if you have excess mana floating about but no cards to play.

That's why I'm unsure. It's worth trying but it's not a slam dunk.

Frontier demand or Speculators speculating on Frontier.

I think some of it may be a bit of a "run on the bank" type deals. Price started going back up, people were worried about missing out, and everyone went and started buying. I know I made sure to at least pick one up as a Commander option (maybe should have gotten a playset) when it started to tick back up. And then it shot up 50% from that price.

Angry Grimace

This is actually an interesting thought. My main concern is that you'd still be taking a turn off when I'd rather be dropping Karn or something. It also doesn't optimize Eldrazi. I dunno.

I dunno if there's a deck that can ever really beat Aeons Torn if you drop it, castes or not, though.

I'd say Karn is probably better though. Stony Silence would fuck your day up if you were relying on Portal to get your wincons.

I dunno if there's a deck that can ever really beat Aeons Torn if you drop it, castes or not, though.

I'd say Karn is probably better though. Stony Silence would fuck your day up if you were relying on Portal to get your wincons.

Emrakul is nearly unstoppable if given a chance to stick and attack, yes. I'd probably see myself fetching Ugin or Karn more often with the current Modern, though. Dredge can potentially deal with the sac triggers and chump block (or even just take the hit) and then swing back, Infect/affinity/burn can just out speed Aeons Torn attacking turn 5 at earliest.

And yes, Stony Silence or Cage both completely shut down the Bridge either entirely or for creature fetching.

OnPoint

Silence already kinda hurts you early game though, so it's probably not worth worrying about.

Yeef

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";227306608]Ormendahl is pretty good against Emrakul.[/QUOTE]Not seeing how Ormendhal is that great against Emrakul. It can block once, but only if you have more than 6 permanents, which seems like it'd be tricky after sacrificing 5 permanents. It seems like, at best, it'll buy you a turn.

Given confirmation of a complete planar portal, I'm surprised Phyrexians aren't getting involved, and that Bolas apparently destroys it right away.

Paradox Engine is a super Johnny card, while Planar Bridge is kind of odd to have in the same block as Aetherworks Marvel.

OnPoint

Given confirmation of a complete planar portal, I'm surprised Phyrexians aren't getting involved, and that Bolas apparently destroys it right away.

Paradox Engine is a super Johnny card, while Planar Bridge is kind of odd to have in the same block as Aetherworks Marvel.

I thought the story shows Rashimi destroying it? Because she doesn't trust Tezzeret with it? Am I misremembering that?

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";227306608]Ormendahl is pretty good against Emrakul. Pretty bad against Ulamog, though.[/QUOTE]

We're talking about dropping the Aeons Torn in Modern.

OnPoint

I'm going off of this card:
[IM]http://mythicspoiler.com/aer/cards/darkintimations.jpg[/IMG]

It appears to depict Bolas destroying the bridge.

I don't think it does. I think it has a playful allusion to Bolas in the art, but that's Tezzeret and Tezzeret alone standing there. If you mean mechanically, I also don't agree. The portal is already broken by this point.

Angry Grimace

So Dark Imitations is only half useful in Standard until Amonkhet arrives, right? Or are we getting a surprise elder dragon in Aether Revolt?

Nah, its in Amonkhet.

An extra loyalty counter isn't worth very much unless Bolas has a weird design, e.g. he has no plus but his ultimate costs one more loyalty than he enters the battlefield with (which they aren't gonna do since everyone hated Sarkhan 2)

Ashodin

I don't think it does. I think it has a playful allusion to Bolas in the art, but that's Tezzeret and Tezzeret alone standing there. If you mean mechanically, I also don't agree. The portal is already broken by this point.

Are you not seeing the huge shadow of Bolas in that art?

RhkGlB0.gif

OnPoint

Are you not seeing the huge shadow of Bolas in that art?

[imghttp://i.imgur.com/RhkGlB0.gif[/img]

Could be anything casting that shadow. It's an allusion.

in·ti·ma·tion
ˌin(t)əˈmāSH(ə)n/
noun
an indication or hint.
"the first intimations of trouble"
synonyms: suggestion, hint, indication, sign, signal, inkling, suspicion, impression; More
the action of making something known, especially in an indirect way.
"it took ten years from the intimation of a claim to the assessment of damages"

I would still argue that he's not actually there, especially given the name of the card.

Ashodin

Oh I agree with you too. Rather that the portal gets destroyed from the otherside. "Tezzeret, you idiot. It's not time to come to Amonkhet yet."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom