• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.
aetherwindbasker.jpg

Regular art
planarbridgeregular.jpg

industrialtower.jpg

Land
T: Add ◊ to your mana pool.

T, pay 1 life: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool. Activate this ability only when you control an artifact.

Taking a lurking break:

1) Wasn't the last time we saw Orthnithopter back in M15 - the set with Convoke? Seems like Wizards likes putting in trap cards sometimes.

2) The "Statue of Inspiration" or whatever its English title is is a really clever card.

3) However, most of what I'm seeing out of this set really isn't all that interesting. Am I just being a grumpy old man?

Santiako

CmNBKCh.png

1/3 mana dork for 1G, might see play in standard if a deck starved for mana dorks.
As a mana dork and ground clogger, it's quite good in limited.

Santiako

Rishkar was posted already, but I just noticed that it just says "creature with a counter" and not a +1+1 counter. I wonder if Amonkhet deals in another kind of counter.

EDIT: It also lets Gideon tap for mana if you animate him lol.

Rishkar was posted already, but I just noticed that it just says "creature with a counter" and not a +1+1 counter. I wonder if Amonkhet deals in another kind of counter.

EDIT: It also lets Gideon tap for mana if you animate him lol.

I am and have been basically 100% certain Amonkhet is -1/-1 counters. The are too many things like this lately and it fits in extremely well with the popular view of Egyptian history and mythology having curses, plagues, and death related stuff.

aetherwindbasker.jpg

Regular art
planarbridgeregular.jpg

industrialtower.jpg

With the lizard, I thought it didn't seem too mythicy until I saw you get E for each creature you control.

With Industrial Tower, I was surprised to see that the only similar card with both C and mana of any color abilities is Corrupted Crossroads.
Image.ashx

I guess that's why that doesn't add mana for colorless spells in general.

I am and have been basically 100% certain Amonkhet is -1/-1 counters. The are too many things like this lately and it fits in extremely well with the popular view of Egyptian history and mythology having curses, plagues, and death related stuff.

It also kind of suggests one reason they might've skipped proliferate for Kaladesh, since it'd make the -1/-1 theme play more similarly to SOM.

aidfromthecowl.jpg

Aid from the Cowl
3GG
Enchantment
Revolt - At the beginning of your end step, if a permanent you controlled left the battlefield this turn, you may reveal the top card of your library. If it is a permanent card, you may put it onto the battlefield. Otherwise place the card on the bottom of your library.

Just to follow up by Green Artifacts idea imagine this:

Turn 1 Animation Module -> Turn 2 Metallic Mimic -> Turn 3 Rishkar putting a counter on both creatures and tapping Mimic to create a 2/2. So a 3/3, 3/2, and 2/2 that all tap for G on Turn 3 and unless stopped you can make at least 3 more 2/2s or even cast Rishkar's Expertise for 3 cards. Is this sort of thing good or consistent enough to be a thing? I dunno, but it certainly is worth taking a look at.

Yeah, probably.

That looks pretty dang solid.

I'm looking at rishkar's expertise and

Turn 5 Metallurgic Summonings
Turn 6 Rishkar's Expertise get a 6/6 draw 6 cast a <6 spell get a 5/5 or less.

It's a 6 mana sorcery though which makes it awkward in control and aggro match ups.

Yeef

I'm wondering if Mechanized Production could get there in a clue deck. It's not too difficult to make a lot of clues.

Would this work with artifact tokens like Clues?

From the preview article: "Hopefully before you even started reading this paragraph, your gears were already turning with all the ways you could use Mechanized Production, so I won't bother serving up any obvious clues for you." Hyuk.

bigkrev

This might be interesting in Modern/Legacy/Vintage, but the fact that you can never cheat the UU might kill those ambitions. I'll be happy to hear Steven and Kevin talk about it for half an hour before deciding it's not actually playable though on So Many Insane Plays :p

This might be interesting in Modern/Legacy/Vintage, but the fact that you can never cheat the UU might kill those ambitions. I'll be happy to hear Steven and Kevin talk about it for half an hour before deciding it's not actually playable though on So Many Insane Plays :p

during which Steven will forget how Improvise works three times

Yeef

I can't imagine ever wanting this over Thoughtcast in older formats. I think it does have the potential to make a splash in Standard though.

Lots of monster cards revealed today. I don't know how to start processing it all. The counters elf, glimmervoid variant and the new copy artifact + progenitor mimic thing are all super interesting.

That "Destroy X artifacts and make X goblins" card is crazy good. It's a scalable viridian shaman at no extra cost. That's getting played all over the place.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's Thoughtcast but worse.

G.ZZZ

Improvise is bad because artifacts you run are mostly mana rocks anyway. If not, you're talking about affinity which is a deck only in modern and then you can have like thoughtcast.

The improvise mana rock is also bad because it want you to run artifacts for it to work, but it can give mana only for non-artifacts. There aren't many artifacts that are reliably played outside of mana rocks in eternal formats, SDT may be one and then you're open to artifact removal.

Improvise is bad because artifacts you run are mostly mana rocks anyway. If not, you're talking about affinity which is a deck only in modern and then you can have like thoughtcast.

The improvise mana rock is also bad because it want you to run artifacts for it to work, but it can give mana only for non-artifacts. There aren't many artifacts that are reliably played outside of mana rocks in eternal formats, SDT may be one and then you're open to artifact removal.
Agree, people are gushing over it in EDH but artifacts are as you said already manarocks for the most part or in the case if the statue the decks run such a density of artifacts that the nonartifact clause makes it kind of pointless.

In standard though I could combine it with Summonings to cheapen my spells make tokens that can cheapen further spells and go off like that.

Agree, people are gushing over it in EDH but artifacts are as you said already manarocks for the most part or in the case if the statue the decks run such a density of artifacts that the nonartifact clause makes it kind of pointless.

In standard though I could combine it with Summonings to cheapen my spells make tokens that can cheapen further spells and go off like that.

Y'all realize Standard still has clues, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom