• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Chindogg
Member
(01-03-2017, 11:21 PM)
Chindogg's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ryce

The character I was referring to is new to the Vs. series.

Gimmie Zabel. I wanna dunk on people.
Jawmuncher
(01-03-2017, 11:27 PM)
Jawmuncher's Avatar

Originally Posted by J-Tier

And Capcom views the series as a blight on their roster of IPs, so from their perspective, she's considered a villain.

:P

Lol, forgot about that.
christiankid7
Member
(01-03-2017, 11:54 PM)
christiankid7's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ryce

The character I was referring to is new to the Vs. series.

If I may ask,

By new do you mean never playable or never in the vs. series in any format? (ex: MVC1 assists, HVH cards, etc?)
Last edited by christiankid7; 01-03-2017 at 11:56 PM.
Ryce
Member
(01-04-2017, 12:11 AM)
Ryce's Avatar

Originally Posted by christiankid7

If I may ask,

By new do you mean never playable or never in the vs. series in any format? (ex: MVC1 assists, HVH cards, etc?)

I mean playable (the character may or may not be an assist or HVH card).
TreIII
Member
(01-04-2017, 12:11 AM)
TreIII's Avatar

Originally Posted by BadWolf

Fou-Lu from BoF4 pls.

The best answer, imo.
Sesha
Member
(01-04-2017, 12:17 AM)
Sesha's Avatar

Originally Posted by smurfx

i love bof3 so much i would take anybody from that game. wish we could get 2 representatives out of the series though.

We should have 3. BoF3 Ryu, BoF2 Nina, Fou-Lu. Game of the Forever.
FinKL
Member
(01-04-2017, 12:23 AM)
FinKL's Avatar
Oh man looking at all the HvH cards, there's a lot of good nods to characters that I would love (Black Panther/RivalSchools/PowerStone) and also nods to previous series characters (Iceman/Juggernaut). Maybe even a few future ones? I mean Ms.Marvel (Capt Marvel? aren't they the same) is listed as well as X.

Lord Raptor is in there too!
Harpoon
Member
(01-04-2017, 12:29 AM)
Harpoon's Avatar
Lord Raptor is clearly the perfect answer.
Weiss
Member
(01-04-2017, 12:30 AM)
Weiss's Avatar
Going through the list of HvH Capcom villains (and excluding ones with absolutely no chance in hell) there's:


- Bishamon
- Demitri
- Devilotte (who IIRC is the only Capcom villain who was an assist in MvC1 alongside Tong Pooh)
- Dr. Wily
- Fou-lu
- Lord Raptor
- Rathalos (I've never played Monster Hunter. He's popular right?)
- Vile
Last edited by Weiss; 01-04-2017 at 12:35 AM.
Gorilla Blade
Junior Member
(01-04-2017, 12:37 AM)
Gorilla Blade's Avatar

Originally Posted by Weiss

Going through the list of HvH Capcom villains (and excluding ones with absolutely no chance in hell) there's:


- Bishamon
- Demitri
- Devilotte (who IIRC is the only Capcom villain who was an assist in MvC1 alongside Tong Pooh)
- Dr. Wily
- Fou-lu
- Lord Raptor
- Rathalos (I've never played Monster Hunter. He's popular right?)
- Vile

Rathalos is basically MH's pikachu, yes.

I mean it could be Wily, surprised so few people bring him up.
Dai101
Member
(01-04-2017, 12:39 AM)
Dai101's Avatar

Originally Posted by Weiss

Weiss
Member
(01-04-2017, 12:47 AM)
Weiss's Avatar

Originally Posted by Gorilla Blade

Rathalos is basically MH's pikachu, yes.

I mean it could be Wily, surprised so few people bring him up.

I am semi-convinced the "hard to animate" character ends up being a scaled down to size Rathalos. Hard to deny that it'd be interesting.

If not, then I'll go with Jedah or Raptor.
Jawmuncher
(01-04-2017, 12:49 AM)
Jawmuncher's Avatar
Lord Raptor doesn't even seem like he'd be hard to animate
Mugy
Member
(01-04-2017, 12:50 AM)
Mugy's Avatar
The only villain in darkstalkers i can think of its probably Demitri.
Weiss
Member
(01-04-2017, 01:02 AM)
Weiss's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jawmuncher

Lord Raptor doesn't even seem like he'd be hard to animate

Dude's got a lot of subtle movements and transformations, even for a Darkstalkers character.














Can't find a gif of Helldunk but that's pretty rad too.

As for Demitri, I'm more convinced him or Jedah would get in over Raptor. They're more popular and important of the not-cute monster girl portion of Darkstalkers. I'm just praying for Raptor regardless.
Dai101
Member
(01-04-2017, 01:08 AM)
Dai101's Avatar

Originally Posted by Weiss

Can't find a gif of Helldunk but that's pretty rad too.

Lulubop
Member
(01-04-2017, 01:11 AM)
Lulubop's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dai101

Best super ever
PSqueak
Member
(01-04-2017, 01:17 AM)
PSqueak's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dai101

Man, i miss the fact that a lot of DS characters had moves that turned the opponent into unique forms.

If i recall correctly, Mavel pussied out of letting their characters get transformed into specific forms by Anakaris so all characters had a generic little mummy servant guy instead.

Also hear this was the reason why Demitri is always insta banned (ie, not letting marvel characters get genderbended forms)
Lulubop
Member
(01-04-2017, 01:19 AM)
Lulubop's Avatar
Yes, Midnight Bliss has been the problem for Demitri.
christiankid7
Member
(01-04-2017, 01:22 AM)
christiankid7's Avatar

Originally Posted by FinKL

Oh man looking at all the HvH cards, there's a lot of good nods to characters that I would love (Black Panther/RivalSchools/PowerStone) and also nods to previous series characters (Iceman/Juggernaut). Maybe even a few future ones? I mean Ms.Marvel (Capt Marvel? aren't they the same) is listed as well as X.

Lord Raptor is in there too!

Capcom Cards VIllains in bold,
Nonplayable villains in italics
Akira (Rival Schools)
Anakaris (Darkstalkers)
Astaroth (Ghosts N Goblins)
Batsu Ichimonji (Rival Schools)
Bishamon (Darkstalkers)
Blodia (Cyberbots)
Captain Blue (Viewtiful Joe)
Captain Commando team (Captain Commando)
Chuck Greene (Dead Rising)
Claire Redfield (Resident Evil)
Cyber Blue (Battle Circuit)
Demitri Maximoff (Darkstalkers....possible villain?)
Devilot (Cyberbots)
Doctor Wily (Mega Man)
Edward Fokker (Power Stone)
Felynes (Monster Hunter)
Fou-Lu (Breath of Fire)
Franziska von Karma (Ace Attorney....possible villain I guess?)
Gene (God Hand)
Godot (Ace Attorney)
Grandmaster Meio (Strider)
Hayato (Star Gladiator)
Hideo Shimazu (Rival Schools)
HUNK (Resident Evil)
Jin Saotome (Cyberbots)
June (Star Gladiator)
Kaijin No Soki (Ominusha)
Kenji (Red Earth)
Kyosuke Kagami (Rival Schools)
Lady (Devil May Cry)
Leon S. Kennedy (Resident Evil)
Licker (Resident Evil)
Lilith (Darkstalkers)
Lin (Breath of Fire)
Lord Raptor (Darkstalkers)
Megaman (Megaman)
Mles Edgeworth (Ace Attorney...kinda a villain?)
Missile (Ace Attorney)
Myria (Breath of Fire)
Nina (Breath of Fire)
Princess (GhostsnGoblins)
Rathalos (Monster Hunter) Kinda a villain?
Rathian (Monster Hunter) kinda villain I guess?
Roll (Megaman)
Ryu (Breath of Fire)
Sakuya (Okami)
Sasquatch (Darkstalkers)
Servbot (Megaman)
Sissel (Ghost Trick)
Steven Chapman (Dead Rising)
Vile (Megaman)
X (Megaman)

MVC1 Assists Villains in bold
Unknown Soldier (Forgotten Realms)
Shadow Charlie (Street Fighter/MvSH)
Pure and Fur (Capcom World 2)
Lou (three wonders?)
Anita (Darkstalkers)
Michelle Heart (Legendary Wings)
Arthur (GhostsnGoblins)
Ton Pooh (Strider)
Saki (Quiz Nainairo Dreams)
Devilot (Cyberbots)
Last edited by christiankid7; 01-04-2017 at 01:28 AM.
PSqueak
Member
(01-04-2017, 01:26 AM)
PSqueak's Avatar

Originally Posted by christiankid7

Sasquatch (Darkstalkers)

Sasquatch is NOT a villain. Hell, servbot is way more a villain than Sasquatch.
christiankid7
Member
(01-04-2017, 01:28 AM)
christiankid7's Avatar

Originally Posted by PSqueak

Sasquatch is NOT a villain. Hell, servbot is way more a villain than Sasquatch.

Fixed
TDLink
Member
(01-04-2017, 01:32 AM)
TDLink's Avatar
I'm going to guess Demitri (Darkstalkers) is the teased character. "Hard to animate" could definitely apply to Midnight Bliss, the main reason he's been excluded from MvC games in the first place.
Dai101
Member
(01-04-2017, 01:42 AM)
Dai101's Avatar

Originally Posted by Lulubop

Best super ever

Not even close

Professor Lexicovermis
Member
(01-04-2017, 01:46 AM)
Professor Lexicovermis's Avatar
Perhaps it's Dr. Wily? Complete with Wily Machine? That could be complex animation wise! Please, I just wanna play as Wily!
Dahbomb
Junior Member
(01-04-2017, 01:46 AM)
Dahbomb's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dai101

https://youtu.be/1RVa0Q_t0bI

Will go nice with the Marvel 3 Jam remix.
nachum00
Member
(01-04-2017, 01:49 AM)
nachum00's Avatar
It's Devilot isn't it?
God I hope it's Devilot
Lulubop
Member
(01-04-2017, 01:58 AM)
Lulubop's Avatar
Nah, the dunk is better. The ass grab is just stupid
christiankid7
Member
(01-04-2017, 01:58 AM)
christiankid7's Avatar

Originally Posted by nachum00

It's Devilot isn't it?
God I hope it's Devilot

I'm torn, Devilot could be cool...but that probably means no Jin. And that hurts
Weiss
Member
(01-04-2017, 02:06 AM)
Weiss's Avatar
Devilotte could play like Doronjo summoning Boyacky and Tonzura.

She'd be interesting, but I don't think she'll make it.
Choppasmith
Member
(01-04-2017, 02:09 AM)
Choppasmith's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dai101

If it was Raptor, I really hope they find a way to get Scott McNeil to voice him in English.

Originally Posted by Professor Lexicovermis

Perhaps it's Dr. Wily? Complete with Wily Machine? That could be complex animation wise! Please, I just wanna play as Wily!

Same goes with Wily!
Starphoenix
Member
(01-04-2017, 02:09 AM)
Starphoenix's Avatar


enzo_gt
tagged by Blackace
(01-04-2017, 02:16 AM)
enzo_gt's Avatar
"Hard to animate" is also a different context when we're talking 2D games of the past and modern 3D games. I mean, good animation is good animation, and difficulty of the concepts you're trying to depict does transfer between 2D and 3D, but Darkstalkers gets recognition because of how good the sprites were, not how different 3D forms are manipulated as they will be in MvC:I.

When I think hard to animate I think of large, complex, and/or shape-shifting models. Which could be something like Astaroth, Hydron, Fortinbras, Grandmaster Meio, Chakravartin, and F. Blacker. A lot of Red Earth and Asura's Wrath bosses sound like they could be problematic to modernize TBH.
DerekOfTheDykes
Member
(01-04-2017, 02:22 AM)
DerekOfTheDykes's Avatar

Originally Posted by Weiss

As for Demitri, I'm more convinced him or Jedah would get in over Raptor. They're more popular and important of the not-cute monster girl portion of Darkstalkers. I'm just praying for Raptor regardless.

Demitri, Jedah, and Raptor are all popular Darkstalkers villains who frequently appear outside the franchise.

Of them, Demitri is the most unlikely. He has already been shot down multiple times due to Midnight Bliss, but also he may not even fit the bill... Demitri is probably one of the more straightforward Darkstalkers characters to animate, and he did appear in SvC Chaos (id that counts as a Vs game to Ryce).

Jedah is possible, and fits the description, but his moveset and animations are overly gory and likely wouldn't fly without being tremendously redesigned to overcome that.

I still say Raptor makes the most logical sense... Capcom villain, difficult to animate, from a Vs Series staple franchise but never playable in it before now, popular enough to warrant appearances in Namco X Capcom and both Project X Zone games. And without any major reason not to include him. Even if they want to give him a unique ball for dunking on every character, it's basically no work to wrap a texture around a sphere.

I will agree that Jedah and Demitri are more noteworthy, they just have barriers Lord Raptor doesn't have.
BassForever
Member
(01-04-2017, 02:25 AM)
BassForever's Avatar
Are some of these characters actually villains or are they just anti-heroes?
BronsonLee
(01-04-2017, 02:27 AM)
BronsonLee's Avatar
I keep telling you guys we should just beat up Ryce until he spills the beans but nobody wants to be a true patriot
Jawmuncher
(01-04-2017, 02:27 AM)
Jawmuncher's Avatar

Originally Posted by BronsonLee

I keep telling you guys we should just beat up Ryce until he spills the beans but nobody wants to be a true patriot

I can be our iron patriot
J-Tier
Member
(01-04-2017, 02:29 AM)
J-Tier's Avatar
Lord Raptor was also in that Darkstalkers is not dead animation.
Weiss
Member
(01-04-2017, 02:29 AM)
Weiss's Avatar

Originally Posted by BassForever

Are some of these characters actually villains or are they just anti-heroes?

Raptor and Jedah are plain evil, and Demitri is a colossal dickbag.
BassForever
Member
(01-04-2017, 02:30 AM)
BassForever's Avatar

Originally Posted by Weiss

Raptor and Jedah are plain evil, and Demitri is a colossal dickbag.

I don't know DS lore or lore of some of capcoms other obscure fighting games hence the asking I genuinely don't know.
pizzacat
Member
(01-04-2017, 02:31 AM)
pizzacat's Avatar

Originally Posted by PSqueak

Man, i miss the fact that a lot of DS characters had moves that turned the opponent into unique forms.

If i recall correctly, Mavel pussied out of letting their characters get transformed into specific forms by Anakaris so all characters had a generic little mummy servant guy instead.

Also hear this was the reason why Demitri is always insta banned (ie, not letting marvel characters get genderbended forms)

Demitri is basically a boring shoto and they want to ban him for his most interesting move smhhhh
always crazy bacon
Banned
(01-04-2017, 02:32 AM)

Originally Posted by Dai101

Not even close

Buttsmasher!!!
WarRock
Member
(01-04-2017, 02:34 AM)
WarRock's Avatar

Originally Posted by BassForever

Are some of these characters actually villains or are they just anti-heroes?

I would argue that everybody in Darkstalkers is an anti-hero with a couple of notable exceptions (Pyron and Jedah, arguably Dimitri).

Edit-
Oh yeah, Raptor totally is a villain. Sacrificing hundreds of fans just to be immortal and dick around eating souls and shit.
DerekOfTheDykes
Member
(01-04-2017, 02:35 AM)
DerekOfTheDykes's Avatar

Originally Posted by enzo_gt

"Hard to animate" is also a different context when we're talking 2D games of the past and modern 3D games. I mean, good animation is good animation, and difficulty of the concepts you're trying to depict does transfer between 2D and 3D, but Darkstalkers gets recognition because of how good the sprites were, not how different 3D forms are manipulated as they will be in MvC:I.

When I think hard to animate I think of large, complex, and/or shape-shifting models. Which could be something like Astaroth, Hydron, Fortinbras, Grandmaster Meio, Chakravartin, and F. Blacker. A lot of Red Earth and Asura's Wrath bosses sound like they could be problematic to modernize TBH.

This is actually exactly why Darkstalkers comes to mind, because many Darkstalkers characters would require tons of model transformations to be faithfully recreated. Lord Raptor, Huitzil, and Pyron are great examples of this, you can't just manipulate their model in order to make them attack, their whole model has to change during animations before changing back.

IIRC, the difficulty of recreating many Darkstalkers characters has been explicitly called out as a major reason the franchise would be hard to revive.
IntelliHeath
As in "Heathcliff"
(01-04-2017, 02:36 AM)
IntelliHeath's Avatar

Originally Posted by shaowebb

Honestly I cant decide who I would prefer for Capcom to use as a stretchy due...Dhalsim, Seth or Lord Raptor. Seth's toolset is pretty darned Marvel but Raptor is really cool and could use a shot at the series. Dhalsim was in once and did well so I'd like to see others but he just got all that good shit in SFV.

Ms. Marvel would be best choice tho.

Originally Posted by Sesha

We should have 3. BoF3 Ryu, BoF2 Nina, Fou-Lu. Game of the Forever.

That would be amazing choices if they decided to go with three BOF characters. We know that it's very very unlikely to happens.
SgtCobra
Member
(01-04-2017, 02:37 AM)
SgtCobra's Avatar
Devilot with Super-8 would be way too cool for it to actually happen. I would welcome Pyron or Jedah with open arms though.
nded
Member
(01-04-2017, 02:56 AM)
nded's Avatar
Now that I think of it, MvC3 Sentinel was very well done in terms of animation.
Professor Lexicovermis
Member
(01-04-2017, 03:01 AM)
Professor Lexicovermis's Avatar

Originally Posted by Choppasmith

If it was Raptor, I really hope they find a way to get Scott McNeil to voice him in English.



Same goes with Wily!


If Wily is in, I'll only accept the voice actor from the old Mega Man cartoon!

EDIT: Oh, that's Scott McNeil. My bad!
Last edited by Professor Lexicovermis; 01-04-2017 at 03:03 AM.
Gorilla Blade
Junior Member
(01-04-2017, 03:05 AM)
Gorilla Blade's Avatar

Originally Posted by BronsonLee

I keep telling you guys we should just beat up Ryce until he spills the beans but nobody wants to be a true patriot

my hope is if we keep bringing up shitty roster choices and discuss them ad nauseum Ryce will eventually crack and show his hand.
Ginger Hail
Member
(01-04-2017, 03:09 AM)
Ginger Hail's Avatar

Originally Posted by Choppasmith

If it was Raptor, I really hope they find a way to get Scott McNeil to voice him in English.

Not gonna lie, I think I'd be down with that. He played Raptor in both the US cartoon and the OVA.

Thread Tools