• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
znhrC4o.jpg

This seems super good, of course it's GW.

"To the battlefield" is hilarious. To your hand was too underpowered? Like, really?

I do find it a bit funny how we keep getting all these stupidly pushed White Cards(Gideon AoZ, this, Thalia HC, Selfless Spirit, etc) that ruin standard but yet they rarely make it into Modern.

"To the battlefield" is hilarious? To your hand was too underpowered? Like, really?

Obviously.

I mean, just in Modern, you can go:

T1:Fastland, Dork
T2:Fetch, Sac Fetch, play him, get back fetch, crack on end of your opponent's turn.

I see nothing wrong with this, not at all /s

EDIT: Hahahaha this is just so dumb. It's making me want to find a way to put Eldrazi Temples into CoCo Hatebears, because he's a Strictly better EWitness for the big late game target(Ghost Quarter)

After playing the Duels of the Planeswalkers games for a few years I've been really interested to start playing Magic with real cards. I have bought a Kaladesh Deckbuilders Toolkit, and additional boosters, two of Shadows Over Innistrad and one of Eldritch Moon, so I have a few questions.

1. What's the usual solution for getting tokens? Do you print them out or do you need to get them from the random boosters? Because I pulled a Sorin and a Nissa from the boosters from the Toolkit and need Vampire Knight tokens?

2. How does the standard rotation work? Does the entire Zendikar block rotate when Revolt comes out, or only the first half?

3. I'm thinking about getting a Duel Deck to play with some premade decks against my brother, but the only one that's currently available at my LGS is Blessed vs Cursed. I looked for a Nissa vs Ob Nixilis, but they're sold out. Is this an okay product to get for us?

I made a deck for myself and my brother, and had a lot of fun just making a deck from the cards I just got. The decks weren't really balanced because he went full aggro, while I was mostly control, so he mostly overwhelmed me, though a few games he lost by quite a bit.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
First Main phase, no play
Attack phase, swing with Smuggler's Copter
Opponent plays Harnessed Lightning, killing Copter
Second Main Phase, play GWeeanimator, get back Copter

You forgot a step:

* Draw Renegade Rallier off Smuggler Copter's looting ability

Okay, this card establishes one idea to me:

The switch back to once a year rotation is a mistake of the highest caliber because it's fixed nothing so far. Standard Attendance is still shit from what I know, FNM Promo's suck, they've ripped out parts of Amonkhet in their rush to fix it so it can be in Standard with BFZ, and this card+ Eldrazi Displacer is Stupid Stupid Stupid. It triggers when it leaves from the flicker, which is already strong, but the "returns to the battlefield" part is dumb.

It's so stupid that this card will dominate Standard while barely making an impact in Modern(I don't think it's strong enough, but I could be straight up wrong).

Also, how is it that EVERY FUCKING SMALL SET SINCE OGW HAS BEEN STRONGER FOR ETERNAL FORMATS THEN THE LARGE ONES?

OGW had the Eldrazi, EMN had the Escalate cards, Eldritch Evolution, Spirits pushed hard, etc, and now Kaladesh has revealed at least 1 card that will give Sultai and Esper the kicks that they've needed.

After playing the Duels of the Planeswalkers games for a few years I've been really interested to start playing Magic with real cards. I have bought a Kaladesh Deckbuilders Toolkit, and additional boosters, two of Shadows Over Innistrad and one of Eldritch Moon, so I have a few questions.

1. What's the usual solution for getting tokens? Do you print them out or do you need to get them from the random boosters? Because I pulled a Sorin and a Nissa from the boosters from the Toolkit and need Vampire Knight tokens?

2. How does the standard rotation work? Does the entire Zendikar block rotate when Revolt comes out, or only the first half?

3. I'm thinking about getting a Duel Deck to play with some premade decks against my brother, but the only one that's currently available at my LGS is Blessed vs Cursed. I looked for a Nissa vs Ob Nixilis, but they're sold out. Is this an okay product to get for us?

I made a deck for myself and my brother, and had a lot of fun just making a deck from the cards I just got. The decks weren't really balanced because he went full aggro, while I was mostly control, so he mostly overwhelmed me, though a few games he lost by quite a bit.

1. The cleanest way is to pull them from boosters, but you can basically use anything as tokens as long as both you and your opponent know what it's supposed to be: Printed out tokens, unused cards face down, a piece of candy, whatever. There even is a decently seized market for custom tokens.

2. There are always whole blocks (now 2 sets, previously 3 sets) rotating. So when Ather Revolt comes in nothing goes. When the first set of the next block (Amonkhet) comes out, both Battle for Zendikar and Oath of the Gatewatch would rotate. But in some hasty and in my opinion wrong move they prolonged the rotation time so actually nothing will rotate out for another 9 or so month.

3. Sorry, no experience with premade decks. But I heard the Duel Decks are pretty good balanced and beginner firendly in general.

bigkrev

1. I just use random bullshit for Tokens. I used to have a stack of Stormtrooper cards from the Star Wars CCG, but lost that. Mostly just use empty sleeves, face down cards, ect as tokens.

2. I can't answer this without googling. Good job Wizards!

3. The duel decks are generally well balanced, even if you want to play your Kiora from Kiora v Elspeth against my Monster deck from Heros v Monsters. That said, your Walmart or Target will have Nissa v Obb- the ones near here are stacked with them.

1. The cleanest way is to pull them from boosters, but you can basically use anything as tokens as long as both you and your opponent know what it's supposed to be: Printed out tokens, unused cards face down, a piece of candy, whatever. There even is a decently seized market for custom tokens.

2. There are always whole blocks (now 2 sets, previously 3 sets) rotating. So when Ather Revolt comes in nothing goes. When the first set of the next block (Amonkhet) comes out, both Battle for Zendikar and Oath of the Gatewatch would rotate. But in some hasty and in my opinion wrong move they prolonged the rotation time so actually nothing will rotate out for another 9 or so month.

Cool, I thought so. Then I'll just print out a couple of each token as needed.

Oh,I thought that at least part of Zendikar would rotate with Revolt. Well damn, now I understand the anger with the new rotation I've seen around here.

Thanks, that explains some things I didn't understand.

3. The duel decks are generally well balanced, even if you want to play your Kiora from Kiora v Elspeth against my Monster deck from Heros v Monsters. That said, your Walmart or Target will have Nissa v Obb- the ones near here are stacked with them.

Unfortunately, there are no Targets, Wallmarts or similar here that carry magic or similar things, so the LGS are the only place I can get these things, and even then, there are a whopping 6 that appear on the Wizard store locator in the entire country :D Kinda surprised that I found this one honestly. Still, I signed up for the prerelease to have some fun with limited as well.

I'll probably get the Blessed vs Cursed one, since there are some interesting looking cards which I could use later in some homebrew decks.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Imagine how comically degenerate that card would have been if Birthing Pod was still legal.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm just getting really tired of the amount of cheaty shit their printing. At this point I almost expect them to black-border print Cheatyface.

If I spend a card on killing a dude, it shouldn't be trivial to just put it back onto the battlefield.

Angry Grimace

It pisses me off because it looks like they didn't learn anything off of Reflector Mage. Pulling an Emeril and kicking it up a notch to make limited more spicy is a fucking stupid idea.

Well, at least we don't have to worry about them reprinting broken cards in Standard, amirite guys?
I mean, it's totally Thoughtsieze's fault that MonoBlack Devotion was so strong, despite Thoughtsieze being not a permanent. So glad we dodged that bullet, and that we're never going to get a reprint of Dangerous cards like Elvish Mystic again. That card broke Standard, don't you know?

Angry Grimace

Thoughtseize would be looking pretty damn good right now.

Angry Grimace

You don't actually need to have anything in particular to trigger Revolt with Displacer since Displacer's ability triggers Revolt.

Ashodin

Laughing my ass off

It's like they just don't care or something. Let's print some shit that can get broken af

Like the improvise thing is getting broken, guaranteed. Turn 3 that artifact, Turn 4 Sram's Thingy + Sram + what the fuck else you want to cast bro

Such as, I dunno, Eternal Scourge?

let's not get so stressed out by the shitty standard season that we start to do dumb shit like wish thoughtseize was back

Like the improvise thing is getting broken, guaranteed.

the strictly worse affinity slash variant of ultra-safe convoke doesn't really strike me as the top concern from the set honestly

Supast4r

I do find it a bit funny how we keep getting all these stupidly pushed White Cards(Gideon AoZ, this, Thalia HC, Selfless Spirit, etc) that ruin standard but yet they rarely make it into Modern.

Obviously.

I mean, just in Modern, you can go:

T1:Fastland, Dork
T2:Fetch, Sac Fetch, play him, get back fetch, crack on end of your opponent's turn.

I see nothing wrong with this, not at all /s

EDIT: Hahahaha this is just so dumb. It's making me want to find a way to put Eldrazi Temples into CoCo Hatebears, because he's a Strictly better EWitness for the big late game target(Ghost Quarter)
Modern plays Gideon ally, selfless spirit and spell queller...

Ashodin

let's not get so stressed out by the shitty standard season that we start to do dumb shit like wish thoughtseize was back

the strictly worse affinity slash variant of ultra-safe convoke doesn't really strike me as the top concern from the set honestly

I don't think it's the top concern either. I think some of the revolt stuff can get pretty crazy and the recur selesnya dude is pretty good too

Supast4r

Okay, this card establishes one idea to me:

The switch back to once a year rotation is a mistake of the highest caliber because it's fixed nothing so far. Standard Attendance is still shit from what I know, FNM Promo's suck, they've ripped out parts of Amonkhet in their rush to fix it so it can be in Standard with BFZ, and this card+ Eldrazi Displacer is Stupid Stupid Stupid. It triggers when it leaves from the flicker, which is already strong, but the "returns to the battlefield" part is dumb.

It's so stupid that this card will dominate Standard while barely making an impact in Modern(I don't think it's strong enough, but I could be straight up wrong).

Also, how is it that EVERY FUCKING SMALL SET SINCE OGW HAS BEEN STRONGER FOR ETERNAL FORMATS THEN THE LARGE ONES?

OGW had the Eldrazi, EMN had the Escalate cards, Eldritch Evolution, Spirits pushed hard, etc, and now Kaladesh has revealed at least 1 card that will give Sultai and Esper the kicks that they've needed.

Modern might play the gw creature. I can see it in a coco shell

Modern plays Gideon ally, selfless spirit and spell queller...
Not to the level of play as other cards from that set. Grim Flayer/LotV/Collective Brutality see more play in Modern.

Basically, White has dominated standard since BFZ came in, but White is still the worst color in Modern(Fatal Push removes Path as "Best Non-Bolt kill spell" for 90% of the format). It's just amusing to me the divide between the two formats despite Wizards pushing it hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom