• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.
let's not get so stressed out by the shitty standard season that we start to do dumb shit like wish thoughtseize was back

the strictly worse affinity slash variant of ultra-safe convoke doesn't really strike me as the top concern from the set honestly
I'd play standard again if thoughtseize was around. Or even Inquisition. I miss hand disruption.

Supast4r

Not to the level of play as other cards from that set. Grim Flayer/LotV/Collective Brutality see more play in Modern.

Basically, White has dominated standard since BFZ came in, but White is still the worst color in Modern(Fatal Push removes Path as "Best Non-Bolt kill spell" for 90% of the format). It's just amusing to me the divide between the two formats despite Wizards pushing it hard.
Spell queller has so many top 8s in modern in 2016 that it's crazy and selfless spirit sees play in: spirits/chord/coco decks. I don't see what more you really want. It's super rare for decks like bant eldrazi to just pop up in tier 1 in modern.

You don't but with 2 oaths they always put themselves back in the yard so as long as you have mana you can keep going.

Oh shit in frontier he can get back Jace.

Maybe this isn't exactly what you mean, but if you had a Baby Jace in the yard and turned another Baby Jace into Planeswalker Jace, Renegade Rallier would get the other Baby Jace back. That's fun :)

Spell queller has so many top 8s in modern in 2016 that it's crazy and selfless spirit sees play in: spirits/chord/coco decks. I don't see what more you really want. It's super rare for decks like baby eldrazi to just pop up in tier 1 in modern.
No, They haven't. From MTG Top 8(I'm taking last 2 months, because the cards weren't printed until halfway through the year meaning numbers would be skewed more) Collective Brutality is played in 15.9% of top 8 decks to Selfless Spirit's 2.1%, Gideon Ally of Zendikar's 0.3%, and Spell Queller's 1.7%.

I understand that Bant Eldrazi is a fluke, but White is the only colour without a strong 2 Drop. Green has Goyf, Blue has Snapcaster, Red has Eidolon, and Black has Bob. All of these cards are non-legendary 2 Drops that promote a key part of what that color is, while White's stuck with Arbiter and Thalia as it's 2 Drops.

Bant is probably the biggest deck now that is 1/2 good cards away from being a great deck, and it's frustrating to see loving that color combo.

Ozigizo

No, They haven't. From MTG Top 8(I'm taking last 2 months, because the cards weren't printed until halfway through the year meaning numbers would be skewed more) Collective Brutality is played in 15.9% of top 8 decks to Selfless Spirit's 2.1%, Gideon Ally of Zendikar's 0.3%, and Spell Queller's 1.7%.

I understand that Bant Eldrazi is a fluke, but White is the only colour without a strong 2 Drop. Green has Goyf, Blue has Snapcaster, Red has Eidolon, and Black has Bob. All of these cards are non-legendary 2 Drops that promote a key part of what that color is, while White's stuck with Arbiter and Thalia as it's 2 Drops.

Bant is probably the biggest deck now that is 1/2 good cards away from being a great deck, and it's frustrating to see loving that color combo.

You're right, they should unban stoneforge mystic.

Trade it with Batterskull and I'm all for it honestly. Just don't ever expect decent equipment again.
Basically my thoughts on Mystic. Batterskull, Jitte, and Skullclamp are basically the pinnacle of equipment. They've pushed no equipment since SoM block.

I'm also partially an advocate for banning Dryad Arbor and unbanning Green Sun's Zenith. Even without GSZ, Dryad Arbor has caused so much confusion due to the FTV Printing(and is generally a headache for game states)

OnPoint

Basically my thoughts on Mystic. Batterskull, Jitte, and Skullclamp are basically the pinnacle of equipment. They've pushed no equipment since SoM block.

I'm also partially an advocate for banning Dryad Arbor and unbanning Green Sun's Zenith. Even without GSZ, Dryad Arbor has caused so much confusion due to the FTV Printing(and is generally a headache for game states)

Yeah, Dryad Arbor seems to be a massive pain. They should do the swap there as well.

Alright, now that I'm home, time to go over the cards.

N9JgnbZ.png
Aegis_Automaton_400.png
With Rishkar's Expertise, I'm surprised they went with a different converted mana cost. Probably not constructed worthy, but it seems good. Aegis Automaton is a clever way to trigger revolt, while using an ability white hasn't used too often lately.

Aid from the Cowl seems great for a casual deck, but it's going to be weaker than Aetherworks Marvel for Constructed.

Yeah, probably.
Glint-Sleeve Siphoner on its own still needs to attack before you can draw a card, like the Bad Bob from Born of the Gods, but in this case, you can avoid that with other cards or even another one of these.

This is a clever way of doing the old "untap your attacking creature, prevent all damage it would deal and receive" effect that used to appear.

Mechanized Production is neat, and Renegade Map is a clever variation to allow for revolt. Plus, it has the flavor of you needed a turn to get the lamp.

Probably weaker than Treasure Cruise.

AA_1.jpg

Free sac outlet, zulaport cutthroat still legal and that fabricate guy as well.
This is a neat design, and finally, black haste again!

Speaking of
0138_MTGAER_Main_EN_HRR.png

Curving copter into this.

Neither of us was talking particularly about standard though, except my pet deck.
I like this variation of Ensoul Artifact. This is a clear example of Wizards' tendency to reprint a powerful card, add a mana, and then add an effect that helps but doesn't really make up for the mana.

rogue_refiner_aether_revolt.jpg

(I can't find an unedited version of this one)

You can actually enchanted anything and win with 8 thopters. The artifact you enchanted doesn't have to be one of the 8 copies. If you put this on a darksteel Citadel while you have 8 thopters you'll still win on your upkeep.
Seems good.

znhrC4o.jpg

This seems super good, of course it's GW.
This upset me.

Ashodin

holy fuck, indomitable creativity can get you crazy creatures and shit from your deck if you run servos

With the artifact that lets you improvise non-artifact spells, you could tap your whole servo team and get crazy shit out of your deck

AND FUCK YEAH SHOCK IS BACK

Yeef

Shock is awesome for limited, but doesn't seem particularly good for Standard right now. A lot of the problem creatures are X/3s (or larger). It does help with planeswalkers a bit and gives red a little bit more reach, I suppose.

I'm curious to see if it makes it into Duels, tough. My money is on no.

Supast4r

By top 8s I mean tournaments that matter. Spell queller decks (bant spirits, jeskai/uw flash and knightfall) have had great placings in gps which are played at the highest level. White has a strong 2 drop it's just banned. (Stoneforge mystic) Did you forget that or something? White is like what green would be if tarmogoyf was banned from the start of modern for no reason.

It's so weird that after MaRo made such a big deal out of using exile instead of destroy for these polymorph cards, this card still uses destroy. I guess it's to prevent confusion with the cards taken from the library, which themselves are exiled to make clear that they all enter the battlefield at the same time. Anyway, it's nice to see this effect, but we'll see how good it really is in red.

Shock is Shock.

Supast4r

Shock is awesome for limited, but doesn't seem particularly good for Standard right now. A lot of the problem creatures are X/3s (or larger). It does help with planeswalkers a bit and gives red a little bit more reach, I suppose.

I'm curious to see if it makes it into Duels, tough. My money is on no.
Shock is great because it gives aggro decks the reach to win fast. Great reprint for standard. Hopefully gr energy can work now. Mardu vehicles has: unlicensed disentergration, shock, harnessed lightning and fatal push as their removal. Pretty good options to say the least.

HT299fz.png

5 mana seems like a lot for the effect, but it's a hard card to evaluate.

5 mana to draw three kill spells seems fine, though it's unlikely to see Constructed play.

Incidentally, I've noticed a trend that suddenly appeared, more on other boards than here, though it happened here too, so I feel the need to clear it up. Yahenni and the other aetherborn don't have genders, so Yahenni isn't a "she". They're addressed with "they".

Great for Commander

ayyyy

Yeef

Secret Salvage could fit into a Janky Aetherflux deck. Searching up three 0-drops is a pretty big deal when you're just trying to max out your storm count. Moreso if you've got enough Foundry Inspectors/Herald of Kozileks in play to make more expensive cards into 0-drops.

By top 8s I mean tournaments that matter. Spell queller decks (bant spirits, jeskai/uw flash and knightfall) have had great placings in gps which are played at the highest level. White has a strong 2 drop it's just banned. (Stoneforge mystic) Did you forget that or something? White is like what green would be if tarmogoyf was banned from the start of modern for no reason.
I didn't forget Mystic is banned, but it's not legal so it's not relevant when discussing White as it is in Modern right now.

You stated Top 8s, and even then Spell Queller is nowhere near Collective Brutality in being used. Bant Spirits has one SCG Open win, Knightfall is just a few top 8s, and I've never seen UW Flash in Modern Top 8 anything.

You can't say Tournaments that matter when literally one of your decks has one win under it's belt. It's either you accept all data (which shows that Spell Queller isn't seeing significant play) or you cherry pick examples ignoring everything that doesn't fit.

QceRLsC.jpg

This is a weird card. Could be another easy way to cheat out an Emrakul or whatever.

Glad the new red polymorphing
that i've been saying they need to do for fucking years now
isn't limited to just a weirdo supplemental thing.

If they took this exact version of the effect and had you put the card on the bottom of the library first, they could make it a reasonable red response to enchantments.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Why are people getting excited for Shock? Lol

Who doesn't like to dome people?

It's a lot less exciting in a format that features a 3/3 flying looter for 2 generic mana.

That fucking GW renegade has convinced me to play UB control with a shit ton of counterspells for the rest of this Standard cycle. Fuck me.

Why are people getting excited for Shock? Lol

Desperate times, aside from copter toughnesses aren't actually that high. Shock kills most of the relevant 1 and 2 drops and can hit players and PWs. People played galvanic bombardement, fatal push makes it so you don't have to anymore if you have access to black. That should reasonable open up 1 or 2 spots for a shock.

Yeef

trv1d0msym7y.jpg

Airship Bandit 1U
Creature - Human Pirate
Flying
When whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player, choose any number of permanents and/or players with counters on them, then add another of each type of counter onto that player or permanent.
2/1

Basically a 2/1 Thrummingbird

C1Uh2_eWgAAdlo0.png

Lightning Runner

Creature - Human, Warrior

Double Strike, Haste
Whenever Lightning Runner attacks you get EE (two energy), then you may pay EEEEEEEE. If you do, you may untap all creatures you control and after this phase there is an additional combat phase.

Catch me, if you can

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
lol GW value has caused us to degenerate into another unban Mystic in Modern discussion (keep that shit banned but print more good equipment, fuck limited plz)

lol GW value has caused us to degenerate into another unban Mystic in Modern discussion (keep that shit banned but print more good equipment, fuck limited plz)
there's really no justification to only ban the white bis 2 drop imo. If you went and banned Eidolon / Young Pyro, Snapcaster, Bob and Goyf go ahead but don't continue to just hamstring white.

Jhriad

there's really no justification to only ban the white bis 2 drop imo. If you went and banned Eidolon / Young Pyro, Snapcaster, Bob and Goyf go ahead but don't continue to just hamstring white.

And why should bans be equitable exactly? You ban problem cards, not a card in every color "to be fair." If you want a better white two drop that's fine. Convince WOTC to print another. Are they supposed to ban a one CMC card in every other color because DRS and Ponder are banned? No, of course not.

And why should bans be equitable exactly? You ban problem cards, not a card in every color "to be fair." If you want a better white two drop that's fine. Convince WOTC to print another. Are they supposed to ban a one drop in every other color because DRS and Ponder are banned? No, of course not.

There's no real card like DRS not even on the same power level, I'd argue Snap, Goyf and SFM are on a similar enough power level you either ban all or none of them.
It's fairly apparent that the banning of SFM has not lead to equipments the level of batterskull since, which has been close to half a decade by now.

You don't hear anyone say ban Snap so WotC can print great spells again, because for some reason the most powerful spells getting another use is so much less egregious than a turn 3 batterskull.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
They havent printed good equipment because they decided they are too problematic in limited. Why we cant get good mythic equipment I dont know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom