• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I really need to get over my hatred of drafting blue. I just avoid it in everything because I hate losing in combat and 90% of the time when I win at limited its because I drafted enough efficient creatures.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
0028_MTGAER_Main_EN_HRR.png

Does anyone else have a commander deck that is 65 counterspells and Sol Ring?

Ashodin

Turn 1 Terrarion
Turn 2 sac it to play this, add two green, Sylvan Advocate / Smuggler's Copter
Turn 3 Oath of Ajani chargggggggggeeeee

Magic Story - Burn
* Maybe it was because I was mostly reading this standing up on a train, but some of the action bits were hard to follow at times. Anyway, this is a long one.
* Parts were good, parts were weak.

* Tezzeret and Baan plot. The former is short-tempered, while the latter is cool.
* Baan idly wonders about how society will adjust when the Planar Bridge is complete and everyone learns of other worlds. Will they realize Tezzeret's origin? How much speculative fiction will there be?
* Baan provides a plan to take back the Aether Hub. Tezzeret makes his own addition, calling in Baral.
* Baan questions Baral about his report about the Nalaar family deaths and the fact that 2/3 are still alive.
* Tezzeret interrupts and informs Baral to act as a distraction for the Nalaars, at his own prerogative, but taking Baan along to hold his leash.

* Chandra is feeling bad. She's home, but it doesn't provide the comfort of her childhood.
* The Consulate is using Panharmonicons to blare "The Gremlin's Wedding March" at the Renegades (blaring loud music is commonly done in sieges), which isn't helping Chandra's mental state.
* Chandra wants to see her mother, but stops herself because she's busy with the revolution. She worries about whether she blames her for Kiran's death.
* We get details of what's canon about The Purifying Flame.

* Gideon talks to Chandra. He's worried about her.
* Chandra talks to him about a moment from The Purifying Flame where he hugged her.
* They attempt to reconcile the differences between Chandra's backstory now and as given in The Purifying Flame, with her saying she didn't tell him the whole truth because she didn't really know him. Gideon concedes that the Purifying Flame must have decided that was enough. He still thinks he wouldn't have survived the flame, which requires acceptance of responsibility.
* Chandra's mind goes back to the start of the book (I assume), where she blew up a museum to get something. In the process, the building collapsed on innocent people. Gideon tells her the fact that she regrets it is a sign that she changed.
* Chandra asks for a hug, and gets it.
* Nissa walks in at that point, and Chandra gets embarrassed.
* She brings food, including a mango that she was apparently growing from her clothes.
* Chandra tries to explain what's going on, but ends up blurting out her and Gideon's entire history, including that they fought a "I'm-a-gentleman-m'lady vampire".

* Baral announces his presence through the Panharmonicons, and taunts Chandra by telling her of how he told Pia that Chandra killed Kiran and others with her flames.
* Chandra rushes off, against Gideon's wishes. Nissa doesn't stop her, and when Gideon asks why, she explains that this is just who she is.
* At that moment, Gearhulks start attacking their position. He reflects on the lessons he learned from Hixus (on Theros, in his backstory) and decides it's best if he stays there, and sends Nissa to go with Chandra.

* Baral runs away from Chandra on foot. He reflects on how the burns she gave him had changed his life. As he runs away, he counters her flames.
* He draws her toward a trap designed by Baan, but he finds his path blocked by brambles.
* He quickly turns back and is able to catch Chandra off guard, kicking her and then attacking her with his sword. He easily dodges her attacks and wounds her, but is caught off guard by the brambles catching on fire.
* The soldiers stationed at the trap point move toward his position.
* Baral is about to finish off Chandra with his sword, but Nissa comes to the rescue. Chandra sends flames through his armor, but he laughs it off.
* Nissa's elementals swat away thopters.
* Baral flees in a thopter, and Nissa attends to Chandra.
* Baral asks Baan to call in a Gearhulk to their position, thinking a Torrential Gearhulk would easily stop Chandra, but Baan insists that they're just a diversion.
* Thus, Baral goes back to taunting Chandra with a megaphone. He counters her flame attacks. With Chandra's attention, he directs his thopter to go closer to the Aether Hub, where Pia would be able to see.

* Gideon protects an old man from a Gearhulk attack using his invulnerability.
* To get a better vantage, he climbs up the Gearhulk. Torrential Gearhulk is spraying water, Combustible Gearhulk is shooting flames and lightning, etc.
* Shadowblayde talks to Gideon using mechanical insects, addressing him by his code name Beefslab. Jace is Cloak Boy and Liliana is Night Queen; Gideon realizes Liliana is the one who provided the code names.
* Liliana destroys a Verdurous Gearhulk by rotting the tree making up its spine and sprouting fungus.
* The Gearhulk Gideon is on (Cataclysmic Gearhulk) is about to crush a group of renegades, so he climbs inside and uses his indestructibility to smash the gears, which makes it fall apart, but he's quite sore after.
* Renegades salvage the broken bits, and Liliana notes that Gideon once again lost his shirt.
* Gideon sees that the thopters are swarming like harpies (like his backstory) and orders everyone into the Aether Hub.

* Chandra follows after Baral, and is ashamed that Nissa is seeing her like this.
* They reach the Aether Hub, where Baral taunts her, saying that even more Renegades would be dead if she was there.
* Chandra and Nissa attack with fire and an elemental respectively, and Baral counters both.
* Automatons come behind them, but Nissa fights them with her sword. Chandra is surprised she has a sword.
* While Chandra is distracted, Baral attacks. They fight, including with Baral flinging ice at her and countering her spells.
* Heart of Kiran lifts off without much fanfare.
* Chandra punches Baral in the face, but he's wearing a helmet covering his face, so she just hurts herself. He kicks her down.
* Oviya Pashiri comes to her rescue with a bird automaton, along with Ajani.
* Everyone is evacuating Aether Hub, getting on Heart of Kiran.
* Baral uses Insidious Will to redirect Chandra's flames towards her allies (I think), badly hurting Oviya.

* Chandra decides that she screwed up enough, so she might as well use all of her flames to take everything out, including herself.
* Nissa talks her down.
* Baral continues taunting her, but then Nissa blindsides him with an elemental, sending him flying.
* Baan comes to his rescue in a thopter. He notes that Baral's trajectory was interrupted by a helpful roof fence, and points out this is why he insists on proper safety features.
* Baan recorded what Baral said to Chandra, which demonstrate that he lied about what happened to the Nalaars. He arrests Baral for murder, attempted murder, and other crimes.
* The Consulate recaptured Aether Hub, so Baan doesn't care that Chandra and the others have escaped.

* Gideon carries Chandra away.
* The Renegades whisper about how Chandra screwed everything up.
* Ajani uses magic to treat Oviya.
* They tell Chandra that it wasn't her fault. Pia hugs her.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Lmao at the amount of Gideon/Chandra shipping. WOTC knows a fantasy audience.

Like the level of sexual tension is like anime level.

So the same person that literally burned two (!) extra terrestial threats to the multiverse itself to death couldn't beat a regular blue wizard. I guess that's par for the course on MTG Baral >>>>>>>> Kozilek + Ulamog

So the same person that literally burned two (!) extra terrestial threats to the multiverse itself to death couldn't beat a regular blue wizard. I guess that's par for the course on MTG Baral >>>>>>>> Kozilek + Ulamog

That was specifically due to her and Nissa using Channel + Fireball, though, along with Zendikar itself eating the Eldrazi.

Angry Grimace

I just find it funny because by characterization everyone in the Gatewatch is basically a stock anime character.

I do not think that is a coincidence.

Wulfric

I just find it funny because by characterization everyone in the Gatewatch is basically a stock anime character.

I do not think that is a coincidence.

It's fun to imagine this as a school anime as well.

Gideon = The hot senior on the varsity baseball team. Will never notice you.
Jace = The quiet geek who sits in the corner of the marching band club room after school.
Liliana = The cool, calculated upperclassmen from a wealthy family. Mean.
Chandra = The quick to anger, tsundere freshman who tries out for every club.
Ajani = The cute mascot character. Offers advice the heroes don't listen to until the last second. Also fun to pet.

"Gids came down to see how I was, and we started talking, and there was this time he got me arrested for blowing up a museum—" YOU ARE SCREWING THIS UP "—but actually he didn't want to, and we ended up on a plane where we fought this creepy I'm-a-gentleman-m'lady vampire, and then I was thinking about my mom and—"

It's like they expect us to take the story seriously, but then they publish stuff like this.

That was specifically due to her and Nissa using Channel + Fireball, though, along with Zendikar itself eating the Eldrazi.

if we go by card though then chandra used fall of the titans on Ulamog. An exercise in futility if no one also supplied a bonds of mortality.

We'll have to get used to variable power levels.

Angry Grimace

It's fun to imagine this as a school anime as well.

Gideon = The hot senior on the varsity baseball team. Will never notice you.
Jace = The quiet geek who sits in the corner of the marching band club room after school.
Liliana = The cool, calculated upperclassmen from a wealthy family. Mean.
Chandra = The quick to anger, tsundere freshman who tries out for every club.
Ajani = The cute mascot character. Offers advice the heroes don't listen to until the last second. Also fun to pet.

It's like they expect us to take the story seriously, but then they publish stuff like this.

I don't even mean it as a joke. I think they are literally modeling them after anime archetypes.

if we go by card though then chandra used fall of the titans on Ulamog. An exercise in futility if no one also supplied a bonds of mortality.

We'll have to get used to variable power levels.

I do find it hilarious that they went through all the trouble of de-powering Planeswalkers from being basically gods, then have them perform feats to rival the old walkers.

Ashodin

uxGW9sT.jpg

LEGENDARY THOPTER HYPE

Card seems crazy strong too, this set is awesome so far.

UH? I'm TOTALLY RUNNING THIS in my deck! 4x! Foils!

Card is fucking amazing vs. Combo and Control! WOO HOO

it satisfies so many requirements - being an artifact for toolcraft exemplar, disrupting countermagic and combat tricks (PLANESWALKERS TOO!) on their next turn, and so much else. I'm officially excited.

Ashodin

Does commander really drive prices this much?

commander is a HUGE fucking casual format dude.

• You only need singles
  • Players can buy one of the best precons to get in
  • Older cards and jankier stuff that's cheap can be used
  • You can make a commander out of any legend

It's just super easy to get into, and the casual social atmosphere makes it appealing to newcomers. it's arguably the best way to enter magic.

--------------------

I've been thinking of Sigarda's Aid and Slayer's Plate again. That two mana dude really getting my blood pumping.

Santiako

dqrli34cwv7y.png

Aethersphere Harvester - 3

Artefact - Vehicle (rare)

Flying

When ~ ETB, you gain 2 energy

Pay 1 energy: ~ gains lifelink until EOT

Crew 1

3/5

ANYWAY LMAO let's push this shit as far as we can

Angry Grimace

dqrli34cwv7y.png

Aethersphere Harvester - 3

Artefact - Vehicle (rare)

Flying

When ~ ETB, you gain 2 energy

Pay 1 energy: ~ gains lifelink until EOT

Crew 1

3/5

ANYWAY LMAO let's push this shit as far as we can

Fuck off Maro, you're drunk.

Listen, you guys gave R&D shit about all the 'XX kill X artifact' cards, they're going to damn sure make you like them if you don't behave!

Angry Grimace

I'm laughing so hard. Crew 1. Man.
This is probably legitimately what they meant by "cards that stop Copter". You just run 4 of these guys AND 4 Copters. Fight broken shit with broken shit. Fuck off, Standard.

Also, that Legendary Thopter is a comical feel-bad for Control. Or at least it would be if not for that combat damage clause.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom