• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't think the card is broken, but Crew 1 is just dumb.
I dunno. Nothing beats this in combat and it has Flying and at least 2 turns of lifelink. For 3 fucking generic mana.

Archangel Avacyn can't even beat this in combat.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The concept is definitely problematic.
The pushed ones are undercosted because WOTC underestimated how negligible the Crew costs actually are.

That's what bothers me about Kaladesh as a block (and to some extent, SOI block); it's not historically broken, it's just full of really bad gameplay concepts.

The death trigger Cascade guy is an example of what I mean. Cascade is a conceptually sucky ability no matter how you do it; the same thing applies to Aetherworks Marvel. Your opponent topdecking things is an inherently obnoxious part of Magic and giving it to a player for free and as a public action is fucking sucks because most of the time you don't actually know that your opponent topdecked something. This isn't a power level concern (since that card isn't particularly broken or even good) it's just a concerning failure of game design. Don't put unfun shit in the game. Don't staple Mindslaver to 13/13 fliers with a cost reduction ability and immunity to the best removal. Don't give people repeatable instant speed free spells. Don't make 3/3 fliers that loot for 2 mana that are immune to Sorcery speed removal. Don't.

Hero

Love that legendary thopter.

Hate that vehicle.

Jesus, I know you want to make the mechanic succeed but there is such a thing as making them too powerful.

Angry Grimace

I wouldn't have a problem with many of these things if there were enough reasonable answers, Grimace.
People keep saying this but there isn't one. I'm struggling to think of a specific card that answers any of those things.

I mean, the only reasonable answers to any of this crap involve printing Null Rod and Relic of Progenitus. That's part of the problem: they think those cards are Fun Police.

I'm not even being sarcastic when I suggest that if they don't want to print specific hate cards they should be printing Counterspell and Lightning Bolt.

Ashodin

Ya'll talking this now

but kirblar gonna come in this thread later and be like

image.php

"hey guys whats u-"

"
dqrli34cwv7y.png
"

large.gif

Angry Grimace

I can guess that kirblar will agree WOTC shouldn't have designed a concept that exists just so Maro could say he did it.

Ashodin

i guess it's not quite as pushed as copter, so we should feel good about that right

a 3 mana 3/5 flying with lifelink seems good, right? right?

Lemme explain how crazy this shit is

• Veteran Motorist crews it up to a fucking 4/6
  • Lifelink twice BY ITSELF is pretty damn amazing, any extra energy thrown into it makes games last longer
  • Siege Modification turns this fucking thing on Turn 4 into a 6/5 first-strike flying. You get that? It becomes AVACYN THE PURIFIER.

Angry Grimace

I mean Vechicles were a dumb concept from the get go: it's a mechanic that when pushed at all sucks because they're colorless, undercosted, the Crew costs are often negligible, and they're immune to sorcery speed removal in a really stupid way - you can't remove a Vehicle on the board without instant speed removal AND letting another creature hit the board to make it an eligible target. Even when you can do this, Crew gives pseudo haste to creatures and carries no penalties at all for the crewing creature.

Sure, you can blame development but the design of the concept doesn't leave them anywhere to go that doesn't make them annoying cards.

El Topo

People keep saying this but there isn't one. I'm struggling to think of a specific card that answers any of those things.

I mean, the only reasonable answers to any of this crap involve printing Null Rod and Relic of Progenitus. That's part of the problem: they think those cards are Fun Police.

I'm not even being sarcastic when I suggest that if they don't want to print specific hate cards they should be printing Counterspell and Lightning Bolt.

I think if there were reasonable options - discard, artefact hate, graveyard hate, maybe something flexible - we would not see nearly as many complaints. I don't really have a problem with Relic of Progenitus for example.
Heck, I have no problem with Mana Leak either. Just keep Counterspell away please. Yes, I know Mana Leak is much easier to cast.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
a 3 mana 3/5 flying with lifelink seems good, right? right?

Lemme explain how crazy this shit is

• Veteran Motorist crews it up to a fucking 4/6
  • Lifelink twice BY ITSELF is pretty damn amazing, any extra energy thrown into it makes games last longer
  • Siege Modification turns this fucking thing on Turn 4 into a 6/5 first-strike flying. You get that? It becomes AVACYN THE PURIFIER.

Lifelink twice? Surely it can't do that unless it has doublestrike?

The reason I didn't think it was quite as pushed as Smuggler's Copter is just because hand filtering is an extremely powerful effect, no?

Angry Grimace

Lifelink twice? Surely it can't do that unless it has doublestrike?
It gives itself lifelink on two occasions without any support from other cards.

Whether it's as good as Copter is only sort of a relevant concern.

Care to enlighten?

It just further explains how Narnam House is a place that's effectively a poison emporium. There's not a ton of detail but even just having some story around it makes it feel more concrete rather than just some random thing mentioned on a card.

Lmao at the amount of Gideon/Chandra shipping. WOTC knows a fantasy audience.

Like the level of sexual tension is like anime level.

Nah, I'd say the story is anti-Gideon/Chandra if anything. I mean, Gideon is clearly head over heels for her but it's explicit that while Chandra might have had interest in the past she's 100% friendzoning him now. It's pretty clear that Nissa is the one that she's interested in (whether Chandra knows it or not) given how hardcore she stumbles all over herself when attempting any sort of interaction with the elf.

Angry Grimace

It just further explains how Narnam House is a place that's effectively a poison emporium. There's not a ton of detail but even just having some story around it makes it feel more concrete rather than just some random thing mentioned on a card.

Nah, I'd say the story is anti-Gideon/Chandra if anything. I mean, Gideon is clearly head over heels for her but it's explicit that while Chandra might have had interest in the past she's 100% friendzoning him now. It's pretty clear that Nissa is the one that she's interested in (whether Chandra know it or not) given how hardcore she stumbles all over herself when attempting any sort of interaction with the elf.
I don't see it that way at all.

The fact that she empathizes with Nissa's introversion doesn't make their relationship immediatly romantic in nature.

Gideon's position re: Chandra is pretty explicitly romantic, though.

This art looks...off to me for some reason.

The problem, visually, is either that net must be wafting like a gentle leaf on the wind, or Ajani must have swung insanely fast to have cleaved through it and already gotten his weapon that far beyond it while it's still separating in the air.

Which is fine, if "anime", but his posture and the overall lack of a sense of motion in the composition don't really sell that.

I don't see it that way at all.

The fact that she empathizes with Nissa's introversion doesn't make their relationship immediatly romantic in nature.

Gideon's position re: Chandra is pretty explicitly romantic, though.

I'm coming at it from a YA/anime/manga angle. They've been handling their interactions in such a way that it's almost impossible not to see it all as anything other than, at minimum, intentional shipping bait. For example, the juxtaposition of the hug with Gideon, the explicit statement that for Chandra it was only between fiends, and Chandra's panicked reaction when Nissa shows up is just too on the nose.

Glix

All these cards that let you play something for free seem totally insane!

I understand it is worse than cascade because you are losing a card from your hand, but it is still lunacy.

If the blue one was an instant it would be the most absurd card ever.

kirblar

I'm coming at it from a YA/anime/manga angle. They've been handling their interactions in such a way that it's almost impossible not to see it all as anything other than, at minimum, intentional shipping bait. For example, the juxtaposition of the hug with Gideon, the explicit statement that for Chandra it was only between fiends, and Chandra's panicked reaction when Nissa shows up is just too on the nose.
I mean, this whole story push has been pretty explicitly about trying to sell more to women.

El Topo

I mean, this whole story push has been pretty explicitly about trying to sell more to women.

It takes a lot to win over an audience that has been shut out for decades though. If I look at the Magic subreddit or Twitch I'm not sure if they will ever succeed on a grand scale.

Angry Grimace

If they were going for that angle, they would make it way more explicit about it. You guys are giving the people that write Magic's story waaaaaaay too much credit.

Like, the idea that it's a love triangle where Chandra is having deep conversations about her feelings and giving Gideon hugs in the basement while he obviously pines for her, but she's secretly and unknowingly in love with Nissa, who is struggling to come to terms with her growing romantic attraction to Chandra is so ridiculously far beyond the capabilities of the Magic writers.

If the idea was to sell a Nissa/Chandra romance, Gideon wouldn't be there. Not because WOTC has a problem with same sex relationships, but because they're not dumb enough to believe that they could pull off a complicated love triangle through short stories written by different writers on any given week. These characters are super generic personifications of the color pie, after all.

All these cards that let you play something for free seem totally insane!

I understand it is worse than cascade because you are losing a card from your hand, but it is still lunacy.

If the blue one was an instant it would be the most absurd card ever.

It's weird to be seeing so much of it given how it's the kind of thing that can break so easily and the more of it there is the more likely it tends to be that at least something will become an issue. I mean, yes, Marvel already exists but that wasn't out when AER was finished.

Well yeah. Not sure how it's working but they're at least trying. I don't count since I was playing even before the first Magic story push.

It takes a lot to win over an audience that has been shut out for decades though. If I look at the Magic subreddit or Twitch I'm not sure if they will ever succeed on a grand scale.

I mean, they need to start somewhere. Any results won't happen overnight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom