• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.
sndpH94.png
31b39Xo.png

Unrelated but is there really no tertiary colour for lifelink? I get the feeling green should have that effect more frequently.

Supast4r

Ya'll talking this now

but kirblar gonna come in this thread later and be like

image.php

"hey guys whats u-"

"
dqrli34cwv7y.png
"

large.gif
I love this card. Ub fae in modern could really use this. I personally believe that vechiles are a better mechanic than equipment by a country mile. It takes a busted equipment to even be played in standard verses a card like fleet wheel cruiser seeing play which isn't busted by any stretch.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I love this card. Ub fae in modern could really use this. I personally believe that vechiles are a better mechanic than equipment by a country mile. It takes a busted equipment to even be played in standard verses a card like fleet wheel cruiser seeing play which isn't busted by any stretch.

That's a good call - UB Fae already will play Batterskull at times.

Hero

I'm building a Muzzio edh deck and I love both of these cards for it. Trinket mage fetching a recurrable (with salvaging station) vindicate is great.

Didn't they already have an artifact that was a colorless vindicate in one of the Commander products? Or was it costed differently?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
That's kind of the point with Baan. He's intentionally a one-note character. It's similar to (but less extreme than) how Shadowblayde with ay is very intentionally the kid trying to be edgy and who instead comes off as embarrassing and ridiculous.

But all of the characters are like that.

Wulfric

lol @ Terese Nielsen art in the Planeswalker deck

QORoivJ.png

Nooooo, why? I know Wesley Burt did the whole Oath cycle and everything, but this artwork still deserves better. What a terrible card.

I wonder how much this painting will go for when Terese inevitably puts it on ebay. I'd be interested in the pencil sketch at the very least.

Chris Rahn did another awesome painting for the planeswalker deck. Sorcery speed anthem though... wizards pls >____>

traveler

Not Wario
I like putting magic streams on in the background while doing other stuff. I've found Caleb's to be the best, and LSV is also pretty great on the odd occasion he actually streams these days, but, man, I cannot watch Cheon's stream. He just gets randomly loud of nowhere and it scares the shit out of me/hurts my ears all the time. It'd be one thing if there was a constant volume to it, but he's just all over the place.

While I'd have preferred to have had actual Atog, it's nice to see an old friend back in spirit even if not in name.

Atogs only live on Dominaria and planes that stole inhabitants from Dominaria (Mirrodin and Rath.) We'll probably see a proper one in the Dominaria block.

Like I said, all of these characters act like caricatures of a Mark Rosewater Color Pie article. I don't buy the idea that there's a ton of relevant subtext or hidden meanings.

I think you're talking about subtext in the literary sense of subtle underlying themes, but what we're really taking about here is subtext in the fandom sense. The gay tension here isn't explicit but it is obvious and intentional. A ton of the current writers have fandom experience, they know what they're doing.

Firemind

I like putting magic streams on in the background while doing other stuff. I've found Caleb's to be the best, and LSV is also pretty great on the odd occasion he actually streams these days, but, man, I cannot watch Cheon's stream. He just gets randomly loud of nowhere and it scares the shit out of me/hurts my ears all the time. It'd be one thing if there was a constant volume to it, but he's just all over the place.
His subscriber notification is fucking terrible. I do miss his vintage cube streams though. I'm already having withdrawal symptoms. They should have cube draft queues up all the time. The fact that the only limited queues at this moment are Kaladesh sealed and draft is shameful.

Atogs only live on Dominaria and planes that stole inhabitants from Dominaria (Mirrodin and Rath.) We'll probably see a proper one in the Dominaria block.

There was actually a Maro solicitation for what people thought about bringing atogs back. Something like 'Would you rather have atogs brought back but made serious instead of goofy, or no atogs at all?'. I imagine that feedback played into this.

The recent 'what would you like to see in a return to dominaria' will probably play directly into that set too.

bigkrev

LSV is my pick for best single person streamer across any game. He does a great job of having a conversation with his chat while playing to the point where you can follow easy even if you don't have chat open. He doesn't allow for down moments, he doesn't yell or swear- it's just a fun time that makes you feel like a friend

Angry Grimace

I think you're talking about subtext in the literary sense of subtle underlying themes, but what we're really taking about here is subtext in the fandom sense. The gay tension here isn't explicit but it is obvious and intentional. A ton of the current writers have fandom experience, they know what they're doing.

I'm not suggesting they aren't adding subtext; I'm suggesting that the story direction itself isn't likely to be led by subtext. If the idea was that Nissa and Chandra were going to fall in love and have a relationship, I don't buy that they'd add scenes with nervous lovestruck Gideon giving hugs to Chandra while she comments on all of his rippling muscles. Both for the fact that this is probably too deep to expect Magic Story to go, and because doing that runs into the dangerous territory of bringing up the idea that Chandra is going to choose to become gay after clearly being attracted to men. Obviously I am not suggesting there's no such thing as bisexuals or that people can't be unaware of a latent same-sex attraction, but I don't think going down that route would add anything to the story WOTC is trying to tell.

Firemind

LSV is my pick for best single person streamer across any game. He does a great job of having a conversation with his chat while playing to the point where you can follow easy even if you don't have chat open. He doesn't allow for down moments, he doesn't yell or swear- it's just a fun time that makes you feel like a friend
Nah LSV rarely punts so the meltdown factor is low. Also why does everyone play for trophies? What do trophies even do anyway?

Angry Grimace

Oh I like that. I like that a lot. Run that with some clues and you got yourself a brew going

This card is legit.

T1: Thraben Inspector
T2: Servo Exhibition
T3: Weaponcraft Enthusiast
T4: This fucking guy.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
This card is legit.

T1: Thraben Inspector
T2: Servo Exhibition
T3: Weaponcraft Enthusiast
T4: This fucking guy.

If it was just the first three abilities it would be okay, but saccing the excess artifacts you have around to turn them into instant speed kill spells? Yes please

Is there some thing in the story where they explain why this demon is so artifact-focused?

I mean, I get it from a mechanics standpoint, it's an artifact set. He just looks like a big scary demon, though. I'm not getting much sense of why he should have Improvise, or why his activated ability should specifically sac artifacts and not just, y'know, any permanent.

Angry Grimace

If it was just the first three abilities it would be okay, but saccing the excess artifacts you have around to turn them into instant speed kill spells? Yes please

On that fourth turn, the dude only costs 2 black mana to cast. You can instant speed wreck your opponents guys in response to a kill spell. And unlike using up a Westvale, you aren't losing all of your dudes if they remove him. They're just tapped down.

I'm reasonably confident my BW Fabricate deck will get a LOT better with this set.

Angry Grimace

Their Turn 3: Flaying Tendrils

You: Sadface

As I say with every time whenever someone goes "what if they kill all your dudes," sometimes shit happens. And yeah, that's what Flaying Tendrils is designed to do, but nobody's main decking Flaying Tendrils, and you board appropriately if they're likely to have it in their board.

There's no such thing as a matchup that has no weaknesses.

Imma definitely sideboard Radiant Flames against you

It's mostly a Zulaport Cutthroat/Marionette Master deck so I would suggest you not.

Oh, I know why it's not Atog and couldn't be Atog. It's more just being reminded just how long it has been since Atog was last printed.

I'm not suggesting they aren't adding subtext; I'm suggesting that the story direction itself isn't likely to be led by subtext. If the idea was that Nissa and Chandra were going to fall in love and have a relationship, I don't buy that they'd add scenes with nervous lovestruck Gideon giving hugs to Chandra while she comments on all of his rippling muscles. Both for the fact that this is probably too deep to expect Magic Story to go, and because doing that runs into the dangerous territory of bringing up the idea that Chandra is going to choose to become gay after clearly being attracted to men.

I don't think anyone was trying to say (I sure wasn't) that she's not attracted to men or even that there isn't some level of attraction to Gideon at this time, just that a this point in time she only sees him as a (very attractive) friend and isn't interested in a romantic or sexual relationship with him.

And the kind of scenes with Gideon fit completely in with the Chandra/Nissa stuff. I'm honestly a bit perplexed that you think this kind of story angel is deep and complicated and beyond the ability of Magic writers. If anything it's the opposite; it's very well worn and straightforward territory being journeyed into here and is right in the wheelhouse of the writers.

Last? Mythic

oo9RIZ9.jpg

Wow, this is quite a nice card. Can just completely take over the game and at a fairly early turn, too. Don't know if it's fast enough but if it is then it's certainly going to see play.

Angry Grimace

I'd probably outpace you on damage anyway so Radiant Flames might not be needed.

I suspect Herald of Anguish had to be costed at 5BB because 4BB was too easily reachable
You'd think so, but I'm using my servos mostly to crew my BS lifelinking Vehicle!

It's costed at 5BB because it has a cost reduction mechanic. 4BB would be legitimately unreasonable because the last two blocks were full of cards that randomly poop artifacts and artifact creatures.

Edit *throws her hands up and walks away*

Edit 15 or so: Really? It was just my browser not displaying the images in my post? *sighs*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom