• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ri'Orius

People are testing this cat lady combo deck out on MODO, right? Just curious, does it have support for "do this combo a hundred times," or do you have to manually keep saying "use ability, target Saheeli, use ability, target Saheeli" until you have lethal?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
People are testing this cat lady combo deck out on MODO, right? Just curious, does it have support for "do this combo a hundred times," or do you have to manually keep saying "use ability, target Saheeli, use ability, target Saheeli" until you have lethal?
You have to manually do the entire combo. If your opponent refuses to concede you will just lose by timing out.

This is why Abzan Company isn't a deck on MTGO.

Messing around with some non-win-button stuff.

sdfsdfswjib.png

kirblar

What's your reasoning or is it just a gut feeling? Looking at the Pro Tour Kaladesh and the current Standard Metagame breakdowns via MTGGoldfish and they seem to show a number of parallels for the most commonly played archetypes even months later. Yes, given the smaller field it'll be warped by meta calls but it's hardly been entirely unrepresentative of Standard going forward. Also Shota playing a blue based control list is a bit like using Craig Wescoe and White based lists. That's more a mix of preferred play style and deck construction bent around that play style while keeping in mind the assumed meta, isn't it?
He's not wrong. We've been seeing "diverse" PT metas followed by real metagames coalescing into ugly formats for a while now. The dev changes they made in the wake of the 2-block change have NOT worked.

Is Leovold normally just a 2-of in Legacy?

duxstar

Sad fact is I'll be told it's "not as good as I think, and that i should pack more removal" until the rest of the world see's what it's like to play against it at fnm 3 out of 4 rounds, and see it at the pro tour/scg open every week. Sad part is wizard's is so slow to react to problem cards that it will be 3 - 4 months out before anything is even talked about possibly getting banned.

But hey, even if I'm wrong. You'll still have to deal with turn 4 Emrakul decks, Paradox Engine Decks, and People trying to combo off with Renegade Rallier.

Sad fact is I'll be told it's "not as good as I think, and that i should pack more removal" until the rest of the world see's what it's like to play against it at fnm 3 out of 4 rounds, and see it at the pro tour/scg open every week. Sad part is wizard's is so slow to react to problem cards that it will be 3 - 4 months out before anything is even talked about possibly getting banned.

But hey, even if I'm wrong. You'll still have to deal with turn 4 Emrakul decks, Paradox Engine Decks, and People trying to combo off with Renegade Rallier.

Well, I mean, they're not going to ban it until people have had a chance to buy up tons of cards. At the moment Cat Lady is likely to be a significant driver of Aether Revolt and Kaladesh sales, so banning it before people have had a chance to go nuts on purchasing isn't really in their best interests.

Not even trying to be the "Wizards only cares about $$$!" guy or anything, just sort of noting the way the world turns, here.

Lucario

Just in time for my $35 playset of saheeli to ship!

It's for the best if they prematurely axe Felidar Guardian, though. Seeing Emmy come with it would be nice too.

Hopefully not Saheeli herself, since there's still a bunch of dumb johnny stuff you can do with her.

Cat Lady is getting pre-emptively banned. They need to do it now before people actually buy new cards. No other reason to move it up.

Pray Emrakul/Copter/Gideon go with the kitty.

If they do I wonder if they went and put CopyCat vs their Future League decks as well as current meta and realized they were utterly fucked.
A complete preemptive ban would be quite crazy and a testimony of desperation but on the same hand I'd start brewing sultai summonings right away.

G.ZZZ

Still hoping that they unban survival so we can have a predator for miracle in legacy. Eldrazi wasn't the chosen one, the deck has seen significantly less play lately, and for good reasons.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
The numbers for the last standard season must be -really- bad if they're this desperate and preemptive. Wonder how long they keep burying their head in the sand about this stuff.

duxstar

The numbers for the last standard season must be -really- bad if they're this desperate and preemptive. Wonder how long they keep burying their head in the sand about this stuff.

Whoever thought 13/13 mindslavers turn 4 , and turn 6 in "fair decks" , and 2 spells cast win the game turn 4 needs to be retired asap

kirblar

The pre-emptive part is because they put fucking Splinter Twin into standard IN TWO BACK TO BACK SETS.

This is a development failure of epic moronic proportions.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I guess it's easy to say in retrospect that Emrakul is busted (an unplayable Timmy-friendly 13/13 flier with removal protection and on-cast pseudo-minslaver, that also has a cost reduction effect that synergises with the graveyard-matters theme of the block), but I'm pretty sure during set previews it wasn't rated that highly. LSV Reid Duke for instance rated it as (only) the 5th best card in the set, behind Spell Queller, Mausoleum Wanderer, Elder Deep-Fiend and Thalia, Heretic Cathar.

I guess I don't really have a point to this post, except that even 23 years in, it's still kind of difficult to assess the power of cards, even when you're one of the best MTG players ever.

[edit] Oh that's Reid Duke. My bad. Still, the point mostly stands.

The pre-emptive part is because they put fucking Splinter Twin into standard IN TWO BACK TO BACK SETS.

I mean, sure, when you say, "A statistically small but extant number of players will execute a turn 4 infinite in their prerelease games" it sounds super bad, but...

Uh, actually there's no "but", I guess. This is just sort of embarrassing.

Hero

Agreed. That whole team should be fired. There's really no excuse for it.

I highly doubt this is Saheeli related. I mean, believe me, I think the combo is a bit busted.

But Emrakul is kind of the problem.

Maybe its just an update to Modern guys? lolz

ultron87

Wonder if Crackdown Construct also bites it. Obviously a single infinite/infinite with no evasion is less a problem than infinite 1/3s, but still.

kirblar

Aether Revolt was Ben Hayes' first job as development lead for a regular expansion. I would suspect it's also his last.

I highly doubt they'll ban anything that they know will have an answer in Amonkhet, so Smuggler's Copter will stick around, and likely Emrakul too. I don't think a temporary ban until that set comes out is likely, since they'd be worried about confusion. As for bans related to Battle for Zendikar staying in Standard, I don't expect that until Amonkhet comes out.

But yeah, with this timing, there's no way it's anything other than Felidar Guardian. I half suspect that while they can't ban it in Limited, they'll request that no one does the combo.

Saheeli, Emrakul, Gideon, and Copter. Thats what I'm calling. If they're desperate enough to pre-ban something they should just go all the way. Saheeli makes more sense since its a mythic and less people will have it and not in the new set. Banning the uncommon would just confuse the casuals who wouldn't suspect its bannable.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Saheeli, Emrakul, Gideon, and Copter. Thats what I'm calling. If they're desperate enough to pre-ban something they should just go all the way. Saheeli makes more sense since its a mythic and less people will have it and not in the new set. Banning the uncommon would just confuse the casuals who wouldn't suspect its bannable.

but felidar guardian is a mostly uninteresting card without saheeli, whereas sahleei is a mostly interesting card without guardian

Lucario

Aether Revolt was Ben Hayes' first job as development lead for a regular expansion. I would suspect it's also his last.

Is it really the development lead's responsibility to catch interactions like this, though? Seems like that would fall on the FFL. Is there a department that's more analogous to QA? If not, maybe there should be after the last few sets.

Aether Revolt is otherwise incredibly sweet. I've never seen a set with this many goofy engine cards and interlocking combo pieces. There are going to be a ton of sweet FNM brews coming out of this set, and I think it'll end up being regarded pretty highly outside of this debacle.

but felidar guardian is a mostly uninteresting card without saheeli, whereas sahleei is a mostly interesting card without guardian

Ah, but Saheeli is the heart of the combo. What if there's another Cat in Amonkhet, just randomly? Then it'd be back on. Not saying there isn't logic to go either way, but I do suspect Saheeli is the right answer.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Ah, but Saheeli is the heart of the combo. What if there's another Cat in Amonkhet, just randomly? Then it'd be back on. Not saying there isn't logic to go either way, but I do suspect Saheeli is the right answer.

If there was another cat in Amonkhet...there isn't now!

Ashodin

Woohoo fuck yeah 🙌 🙌 🙌 🙌 🙌 🙌 🙌 🙌

I feel like my video this weekend helped. I bitch about the combo in it.

At the very least, Felidar Guardian is banned. Guaranteed.

Joe Molotov

They could just put a post-it note on the development board that says "Remember not to print a card that flickers Planeswalkers pls".

Neoweee

Flicker is a theme for this block.

ETB is a theme for this block.

They have a few more months of hindsight after Revolt was a locked and done set before Khet was locked, and they also had more room to print regular answers that they clearly missed the chance for in Revolt.

That's really not an applicable line of thinking, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom