• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ooccoo

I'd argue that Standard bannings are pretty damageable to the game though. Screams they didn't do their homework. Print hate cards and have safety valves in place. Pithing needle, duress and other efficient discard spells, good answers, etc. Only card they could ban IMO is Felidar because I don't think WOTC wants that combo in fucking Standard. I still can't believe they didn't catch this interaction when the community instantly found out during spoiler season. How bad can development be at this point?

hermit7

I'd argue that Standard bannings are pretty damageable to the game though. Screams they didn't do their homework. Print hate cards and have safety valves in place. Pithing needle, duress and other efficient discard spells, good answers, etc. Only card they could ban IMO is Felidar because I don't think WOTC wants that combo in fucking Standard. I still can't believe they didn't catch this interaction when the community instantly found out during spoiler season. How bad can development be at this point?

With the rate that they seem to be hemmoraging players I think they want to build some goodwill back to their enfranchised players. I think that is their main concern.

I don't disagree with it being damaging but it seems to be at a bit of a low point right now anyways.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I wonder if its possible if they could ban the combo itself - e.g. you can't have Felidar Guardian in a deck with Saheeli Rai. It's not unprecedented that they could fashion an unusual ban - Stoneforge Mystic was banned unless you played it in the exact pre-con decks it came in.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
There's a chance that Aetherworks Marvel could be banned, right?

Aetherworks isn't busted if you don't have Emrakul. The reason Aetherworks is good is because if they shut down Aetherworks, you just go on the Delirium plan and hardcast Emrakul.

f0rk

I wonder if its possible if they could ban the combo itself - e.g. you can't have Felidar Guardian in a deck with Saheeli Rai. It's not unprecedented that they could fashion an unusual ban - Stoneforge Mystic was banned unless you played it in the exact pre-con decks it came in.
Nah, that was protection for very new players and a specific product.

I guarantee you the combo was a complete accident. The cat is very, very similar to cards they've printed many times in the past (Flickerwisp, Glimmerpoint Stag) that have been safe, and they almost certainly just didn't think to test it properly because it reads so similarly. In fact, they've made a point to retemplate otherwise totally fine cards (like Oblivion Ring) specifically because of blink effects that they probably had an additional perspective of "we've already fixes these problems, so they can't pop up again."

Then they saw it and went "oh shit."

The question is whether or not they knew before the full spoiler went up and had this planned already.

Maledict

Like I said, I'm betting that the cat only worked on artifacts and creatures (or something similar) for most of it's lifecycle, and it was changed in the last month and no-one caught it. It's happened before it will continue to happen again unless they change how they test their games.

OnPoint

Like I said, I'm betting that the cat only worked on artifacts and creatures (or something similar) for most of it's lifecycle, and it was changed in the last month and no-one caught it. It's happened before it will continue to happen again unless they change how they test their games.
Would be nice to know how they're testing. Lately it's not been going so well, so something obviously has to change

@the bolded: We do?
Charlequin basically sniped it from me, but in terms of "Things I'm willing to bet Amonkhet has", a Graveyard theme in an Egyptian Themed Set is a no brainer. The 2 most common Egyptian ideas in pop culture is The Pyramids and Mummies.

For Amonkhet to not have some "Graveyard Matters" theme, be it a mechanic or just a general vibe, would be a major misfire. I'd put it in the same category as something like SoI lacking Investigate.

Plus, it at least excuses some of the lack of graveyard hate, because they knew that anything in SoI or Kaladesh would hurt Amonkhet.

Angry Grimace

No, something like

Energy Matrix
Legendary Land
Tap, pay X Energy: add X to your mana pool.

That's completely busted; like possible more than Tolarian Academy. You can add lots of energy per turn.

Maledict

MaRo came up with Kaladesh and the energy mechanic, right? Let's point our pitchforks at him!

This isn't his fault at all tbh. As much as I have moaned about him in this thread, this is entirely a development issue and nothing to do with him.

(I do think I moan too much about him tbh - the guy is a fantatsic designer who has improved magic and the game massively. I tend to bitch too much in threads about minor things really...)

I would rather see marvel banned than emrakul. But that sonly because I love playing B/G delirium.

I suppose B/G delirium has other win cons that can replace Emrakul (lilly / ishkanah) though, so it sprob still a deck.

MaRo's honestly not to blame for a lot of missteps recently. Since 2011, MaRo has been the lead (or co-lead) on the following sets:
  • Innistrad
  • Dark Ascension
  • Gatecrash
  • Theros
  • Khans of Tarkir
  • Battle for Zendikar
  • Kaladesh

Honestly, from a design point only BFZ is terrible of that list, and he's mentioned numerous times why that is.

Supast4r

MaRo's honestly not to blame for a lot of missteps recently. Since 2011, MaRo has been the lead (or co-lead) on the following sets:
  • Innistrad
  • Dark Ascension
  • Gatecrash
  • Theros
  • Khans of Tarkir
  • Battle for Zendikar
  • Kaladesh

Honestly, from a design point only BFZ is terrible of that list, and he's mentioned numerous times why that is.
theros is pretty bad too lets be real here.

theros is pretty bad too lets be real here.
Not from a design perspective. Theros is Greek Mythology the set, and Devotion/Heroic/Monstrous/Scry all were well recieved. Design generally handles the feeling of a set, the themes, the mechanics. Development handles balancing it.

Theros shit the bed because Oops Hybrid Mana and BNG/JIN were bad.

Wulfric

Lol, this is my first time F5-ing the banlist announcment. I have a playset of Stoneforge Mystic in my cart just in case my modern dreams come true...

But the annoucnement is probably just for the stupid cat. :(

edit: Ooooh snap

Hmmm... What about bringing back the un- sets as a way to do public beta testing? I guess this time around the effects overall are familiar territory so they might not feel like they need to dibth testing, but some stuff from the un- sets eventually made it back into the main game right?

Also the un- sets were awesome :O

Santiako

Announcement Date: January 9, 2017

Effective Date: January 20, 2017

Magic Online Effective Date: January 11, 2017

Standard:

Emrakul, the Promised End is banned.

Smuggler's Copter is banned.

Reflector Mage is banned.

Modern:

Gitaxian Probe is banned.

Golgari Grave-Troll is banned.

The list of all banned and restricted cards, by format, is here. The full list of cards banned in Modern is here. The full list of cards banned in Standard is here.

Next B&R Announcement: March 13, 2017

HOLY SHIT

Supast4r

Not from a design perspective. Theros is Greek Mythology the set, and Devotion/Heroic/Monstrous/Scry all were well recieved. Design generally handles the feeling of a set, the themes, the mechanics. Development handles balancing it.

Theros shit the bed because Oops Hybrid Mana and BNG/JIN were bad.

I just hated it because enchantments were really underpowered in an enchantment matters block.

Standard:

Modern:

The list of all banned and restricted cards, by format, is here. The full list of cards banned in Modern is here. The full list of cards banned in Standard is here.

HOLY SHIT

Holy Shit, this is big.

No unbans, but I'm fine with that for now.

Standard:

Modern:

HOLY SHIT
Cat's out the bag wtf?

Adaren

No Cat Lady ban?

Also, not that anyone besides me cares, but the list of Magic Duels AER Cards is up. Magic Duels doesn't implement every card from every set (sometimes the cards are too technically weird [Emrakul], but most of the exclusions are just to cut down on chaff and temper strong strategies since Duels is non-rotating).

No Flicker Cat, as expected. I wonder if they'll retroactively remove Smuggler's Copter and Reflector Mage from the game, not that either one is overly oppressive in the Magic Duels meta (though Smuggler's Copter is definitely pushing it).

Santiako

Banned and Restricted announcements will now be made both on the Monday after Standard-legal set Prereleases and five weeks after a Pro Tour, also on a Monday.

We're making this change to give us, as well as the player community, greater flexibility in keeping organized play healthy and fun. We recognize that Pro Tour play, which is most directly informed by the announcement timeframe, represents a small fraction of Magic play. The play that is most affected by formats becoming imbalanced is the kind that happens between announcements—Friday Night Magic, Grand Prix, local tournaments, Magic Online events, Pro Tour Qualifying tournaments, or even just friends playing at home adhering to format rules.

So, in order to best serve the majority of Magic players, we're adding the mid-set window to ensure play experiences at those myriad events are the best they can be.

We do not expect this to lead to an increase in the number of cards banned or restricted (or unbanned or unrestricted), but the greater flexibility will allow us to address play issues more quickly.

We're making all of these changes because we believe they will help keep Standard healthy, diverse, and, most importantly, fun. Aether Revolt is packed with new, interesting cards that you'll want to try out in this refreshed, open environment. Get your first look at them this weekend at a Prerelease near you.

So now they'll be doing twice as many B&R announcements, expect your copy cat ban then.

Maledict

Um, WTF?

Fine with the nerfs, although surprised they actually bit the bullet on it. But to not ban the damn cat seems insane. What's left to beat it now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom