• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Chase Amazon Prime Rewards Card

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Cool. Mine got upgraded.

Really only use it at Amazon and places that don't take Amex as I get slightly better rewards on my Amex Blue, and prefer just being able to get statement credits rather than store specific credit.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Ok, cool, I did get the upgrade.
I hope I do get sent a new card though. Current card is ugly.

Are the points only redeemable at Amazon?

It's better to use them as statement credit in this case, than on Amazon.

Cool. Mine got upgraded.

Really only use it at Amazon and places that don't take Amex as I get slightly better rewards on my Amex Blue, and prefer just being able to get statement credits rather than store specific credit.

You can use the Amazon points as statement credit. I do.

Sweet! Thanks for the heads up, looks like the change came through for me. Though man, wish it aould have happened like a month earlier, was just abroad and got destroyed by fees would have been a nice perk.

Is there a way to force having a new card sent? Mine is beat up and those look real nice...

Sweet! Thanks for the heads up, looks like the change came through for me. Though man, wish it aould have happened like a month earlier, was just abroad and got destroyed by fees would have been a nice perk.

Is there a way to force having a new card sent? Mine is beat up and those look real nice...

You can always call and request a new card. Goes for any credit card. They will usually send you a new one within a day or 2.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I'm a Prime member, but my only CC is Chase Freedom. Does it make sense for me to get this new card?

Just did this on a whim, my first time having two personal credit cards. How to people decide which to use and when? It was easy with one (Chase Freedom) but I buy stuff overseas a lot and kept getting dinged with foreign transaction fees. Plus I literally buy 10 things a week on Amazon, so this seemed like a no-brainer. Still... Feels weird and confusing. I mean, I've always had multiple cards, but for business and personal. Never more than one for my own use.
I'm a Prime member, but my only CC is Chase Freedom. Does it make sense for me to get this new card?
Hah. Hello me!

ColdPizza

Banned
Just did this on a whim, my first time having two personal credit cards. How to people decide which to use and when? It was easy with one (Chase Freedom) but I buy stuff overseas a lot and kept getting dinged with foreign transaction fees. Plus I literally buy 10 things a week on Amazon, so this seemed like a no-brainer. Still... Feels weird and confusing. I mean, I've always had multiple cards, but for business and personal. Never more than one for my own use.

You'll laugh at me...I have 4 Chase Cards

Amazon Visa - 5% back on all Amazon purchases

Chase Sapphire Reserve - 3% back on travel+dining, 50% bonus on travel booked using Ultimate Rewards points

Chase Freedom - 5% back on quarterly categories

Chase Freedom Unlimited - 1.5% on daily purchases not on any of the 3 cards above

I take all of those Ultimate Rewards points from the 2 Chase Freedom cards and transfer them over to the Sapphire Reserve card for the travel stuff.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

Just look at reward options and use whichever card gives you the best reward for each purchase category.

Or be like me and don't pay much attention to it beyond the obvious major differences where it's 3-5% back instead of 1-2.

As above, I mostly just use my Amazon visa for Amazon stuff and places I can only use Visa, and my Amex Blue for everything else as the rewards are similar outside of Amazon and I prefer just redeeming rewards as statement credits vs. getting store credit (I'm not a super heavy Amazon shopper).

Ixian

Chase Sapphire Reserve - 3% back on travel+dining, 50% bonus on travel booked using Ultimate Rewards points

Chase Freedom Unlimited - 1.5% on daily purchases not on any of the 3 cards above

I take all of those Ultimate Rewards points from the 2 Chase Freedom cards and transfer them over to the Sapphire Reserve card for the travel stuff.
This is me now too, now that I have to bring the Amazon Visa card out of retirement due to the upgrades. Wish it fed into Ultimate Rewards but oh well!

Once I finish my minimum spend on my Reserve I need to find another card to churn. :p

I have okay credit according to credit karma should I even try to applying to this card?

I got mine years ago with okay credit. Can't hurt to try, especially if you plan to pay it off on the regular and just use it to get those sweet cash back rewards.

If you pay it off monthly you're basically getting Amazon credit for shopping at Amazon.

Tekniqs

oh cool i was upgraded automatically

edit: no foreign transaction fees...is this the first (or 2nd..there might be another) card without an annual fee offering no foreign transaction fees?

Massicot

This is pretty much me except I use a Citi Double Cash instead of Freedom Unlimited for daily general non-category purchases.

I won't laugh, I just don't pay that much attention to it. I know I could, I'm very good at gaming that type of stuff, but I know I'd get obsessed so I try to limit what I allow. With one, that was easy. With two? My mind is now reeling. Stupid lack of impulse control...
Just look at reward options and use whichever card gives you the best reward for each purchase category.

Or be like me and don't pay much attention to it beyond the obvious major differences where it's 3-5% back instead of 1-2.

As above, I mostly just use my Amazon visa for Amazon stuff and places I can only use Visa, and my Amex Blue for everything else as the rewards are similar outside of Amazon and I prefer just redeeming rewards as statement credits vs. getting store credit (I'm not a super heavy Amazon shopper).
Makes sense. I'm just lazy, but when I allow myself not to be I create a monster. Regardless, appreciate both replies. We'll see how far this rabbit hole goes...
oh cool i was upgraded automatically

edit: no foreign transaction fees...is this the first (or 2nd..there might be another) card without an annual fee offering no foreign transaction fees?
That was huge for me. I buy from Japan (and other countries) constantly and that fee kept adding up on my Freedom.

cress2000

I have a Freedom and this Amazon Card under Chase. Can't hurt to have both.

Same. My Freedom card has a much lower APR but that was grandfathered in from its former status as a Washington Mutual Visa card.

Anyway, this is awesome. I never cared for the Amazon Store Card unless making large purchases I can't completely afford up front, to activate the 0% interest for a year or more perk (which gets paid off before interest gets charged).

wait so people are saying their accounts are getting upgraded from 3% to 5%. i have the ooooooooold amazon rewards visa signature card... are people with that getting upgraded? i was going to open up a new account for this prime rewards but if people are having the old card converted over i prefer to have less credit cards.

i checked my online account but it still shows the old stuff:

Use your rewards to redeem for millions of items at Amazon.com

Rewards Program Details

Get the most out of your Amazon Rewards Visa Signature Card

Get rewarded on every purchase:

3% Back at Amazon
2% Back on gas stations, restaurants and drugstores
1% Back on all other purchases
"% Back rewards" are the rewards you earn under the program. % Back rewards are tracked as points and each $1 in % Back rewards earned is equal to 100 points.

Choose from 2 ways to redeem:

Redeem your points instantly at Amazon.com checkout
100 points = $1.00 when redeemed at Amazon.com towards eligible purchases.

During checkout, you can see your rewards balance and choose how much to use:

Redeem for cash back, gift cards and travel at Chase.com

ColdPizza

Banned
wait so people are saying their accounts are getting upgraded from 3% to 5%. i have the ooooooooold amazon rewards visa signature card... are people with that getting upgraded? i was going to open up a new account for this prime rewards but if people are having the old card converted over i prefer to have less credit cards.

i checked my online account but it still shows the old stuff:

If you're in the US, go to Amazon.com, Your Account > Manage Payment Options

You should see your card with an expander. Click on it...it should say Rewards Status: Earns 5% back

Oh damn, had I known this I would've gotten that card and not the "Amazon Prime Store Card" with 5% and financing options. I got that card just 2 weeks ago. It's locked to just Amazon purchases. Oh well. Maybe I'll qualify for it later.

Can confirm that my card has been upgraded

Another metal card eh?

Cool that Chase brought the cash back % to parity with the Amazon Store Card (through Synchrony), looks like you still can't transfer those Amazon Rewards to the Ultimate Rewards program (Sapphire Preferred and Reserve) tho
It's metal??? Nice

How's the Amazon card? I'm mildly curious about it but I've heard wildly different things about the previous one.

I've had it for years, and it's my go to card: the 2% on restaurants is awesome and I usually just save the points ad cash in for credit for free Christmas presents
It's better to get cash back on the credit statement than use the points for purchases on Amazon, right?

Because you don't get additional points for items that cost $0?
Yep, exactly
I already was getting 5% back from the first Amazon Prime store card, so whatever.
You don't get the 2% at restaurants/drug stores and 1% everywhere else though. Plus this is an actual credit card

ViciousDS

Banned
I have the paypals reward card and Citi's support is soooooo bad. I have never had issues dealing with chase for my loans or anything else. Maybe I'll grab this and now make the full switch from Best Buy to amazon as that 5% cash back would make up for literally any certs or short comings.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

I mentioned it earlier, but the points with the Amazon card can be used as statement credit.
I wouldn't use it on Amazon since it's just throwing extra points away.

ViciousDS

Banned
I mentioned it earlier, but the points with the Amazon card can be used as statement credit.

so the best way to use this card would be to just take the 5% back then on purchases instead of earning points?

Ashhong

But they already had an Amazon 5% back card.

My Amazon VISA didn't get upgraded, I'm assuming since my membership is a family member account. Is that right?

so the best way to use this card would be to just take the 5% back then on purchases instead of earning points?

What? You are always earning points. The best way is to simply log on to Chase.com and use those points to pay off your statement. Never use points to make a purchase

ViciousDS

Banned
What? You are always earning points. The best way is to simply log on to Chase.com and use those points to pay off your statement. Never use points to make a purchase

That's what I meant lol, instead of using the points for items just redeem them back on the statement

Allforce

Got upgraded as well to 5% back on Amazon purchases, nice move to wait until after Christmas....

That said if you're on the fence about it, go for it. I got one in 2012 and with all the points I've accrued over the years have bought: a PS4 at launch, bar stools for our kitchen (not cheap), and right now have about 450 bucks sitting in credit waiting for whatever the next big videogame system is so I don't have to spend a dime on it.

Works out well.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

Ah, I must have missed that. I'll look into it and start doing that.

Will still use my Amex Blue more though for the better rewards on somethings and perks like doubling manufacturer warranties that Amex offers.

Zoe

But they already had an Amazon 5% back card.

My Amazon VISA didn't get upgraded, I'm assuming since my membership is a family member account. Is that right?

Do you have Prime Video under your own account or do you have to sign in with the main account?

C.Mongler

Dammit Amazon, between Amazon Video, Twitch Prime, and now this, this might be the year I get out from under my mother's Prime family account wing and get Prime for myself. Seems this is, unsurprisingly, only applicable to the primary Prime account holder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom