• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucario

Walking ballista is getting bought up on Hareruya and other Japanese vendors - 650 yen and sold out. Just fell to $2.25 on tcgplayer, playsets can be had for as low as $6 on ebay

Aethersphere harvester also recently spiked to 2000 yen, and is now the third most expensive card in the set from Hareruya - it's still $4 or less on U.S. sites.

bigkrev

My only preorder is a playset of Sram. Got them for 1.25 each on Cardkingdom, cause cheapest TCGPlayer was 1.70.

I want him to brew Cheerios for modern, and I'm seeing enough post ban talks of him that he might not get below $1 quickly

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The problem with a card like Aethersphere Harvester is that its defensive, and you don't want to play defensive cards when there's a 2 card instant win combo in the format. You have to play aggressively all of the time.

I think the best deck after Cat Combo is probably Mardu Vehicles, even without Smuggler's Copter.

I'm not speculating this time around, walking ballista can be quite scary but it does also be hit by fragmentize and, gains most of its value from staying on board and doesn't fit into control decks to protect it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Walking Ballista doesn't seem scary to me at all.

It has to be alive to threaten anything and getting it onboard with enough counters to threaten Saheeli means you have to tap out, or your opponent has to attempt to go off on 3 loyalty while you have Walking Ballista on the board.

Again, that's the problem with the combo's existence; even assuming the deck is beatable, every single deck in Standard has to be able to answer the combo at instant speed and has to pack large numbers of one of a number of specific answers to it; hence, why I like Mardu Vehicles out of anything other than Cat Lady - it can both get under counters/Saheeli and can instant speed respond to the combo with Unlicensed Disintegration.

that's why I'm not speculating. All these cards amount to nothing in the face of the combo.

Just imagine Hardened scales deck were good, Ballista stayed on board and you drew nothing for a couple turns. That kind of scary. Get attacked by a 15/15 then pinged for 15.

red13th

The only cards I'm adding to my cube are Kari Zev and Walking Ballista. I'm also testing Metallic Mimic but not sure about it.

MoxManiac

Speaking of specs, i bought 4 tix worth of lost legacy on mtho as a potential spec. Amounts to about 40. If im wrong i can probably dump them for most of my money back since the card is already at its floor.

Ashodin

dammit I keep forgetting to test Kari Zev in my deck. She keeps slipping my radar.

edit: looking over the deck, her style of gameplay doesn't fit. she herself has to attack, plus she makes a token (which doesn't benefit from always watching).

C173RDWXgAA95G_.png:large

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Is anyone going to the Team limited in Sydney in June? I need two teammates and everyone I know is either shit or average.

Whoops, forgot to summarize this earlier.

Magic Story - The Skies over Ghirapur
* For the record, Kari Zev is 15.
* Jace has teamed up with Kari to steal an aether harvest from a Consulate Aethersphere Harvester, using his illusions to make Kari look like an officer, but she pushes things by messing with one of the real officers. They get away without them knowing better.
* Kari refers to Ragavan the monkey as her prince.
* Jace is aghast that Kari wants money from the Renegades in exchange for the aether, but she tells him that Pia knows the deal. They've known each other for a long time.
* When they dock, they learn that the Aether Hub was taken by the Consulate.
* They meet with Depala and other racers.
* The biggest thing stopping the Renegades from striking with Heart of Kiran at the Spire, where Tezzeret is, is Skysovereign.
* Kari used to have a fleet of ships, but Skysovereign was designed specifically to stop sky pirates, and she lost all but one.
* Jace has an idea.

* Depala helms Kari's ship, The Dragon's Smile, while other racers use flight packs. To be clear, Kari does have her own crew too. Some of them also wear flight packs.
* The ship goes out on its own, drawing smaller ships away, but Skysovereign isn't moving.
* Kari goes out with her own flight pack, fighting flying Consulate soldiers. Net launchers are the favored weapon. She gets overpowered, but Jace launches his plan.
* Jace creates the illusion of Kari's old ships, making the Consulate think a huge fleet has appeared. He used her memories to create close replicas of them. Surprisingly, this is an event depicted on a card.
* An officer fighting Kari fires a net, but Ragavan jumps in the way, and the officer leaves with him. Kari chases after her, and gets him back, but is in the path of feeding sky whales.
* Despite Jace's illusions, the Dragon's Smile is receiving heavy fire, because it's recognized as the flagship.
* Kari orders the ship to abandon its aether cargo. She destroys the containers, which draws the aether whales. One crashes into Skysovereign, easily destroying it.

Who is actually the consulate, how does the government work in Kaladesh and what are the ideals of the revolutionists? Are they anarchists, do they plan to just bugger off after dealing with Tezz or dismantle the governing body in the process,... I can't really get into the story because it's kinda Tezz and Baral are bad here's some cool guys beating them.

Who is actually the consulate, how does the government work in Kaladesh and what are the ideals of the revolutionists? Are they anarchists, do they plan to just bugger off after dealing with Tezz or dismantle the governing body in the process,... I can't really get into the story because it's kinda Tezz and Baral are bad here's some cool guys beating them.

This.

Rafy

Hey MTG GAF I need your help. On Saturday I am going to my very first pre-release, and will be playing with people for the very first time. I have absorbed as much as I can regarding the mechanics, color combinations and cards. Now I need some advice regarding etiquette and accessories.

Today I will be going to the LGS I signed up for the pre-release to pick up some accessories. My question is which sleeves should I get? I am torn between the regular Dragon Shields, Turquoise and KMC Hypermatte. I'd like to eventually start double sleeving with perfect fits but I know the regular Dragon Shields aren't perfect for that. I'm looking for something that can take the stress that comes with weekly Play and shuffling.

Regarding etiquette, can I have some notes on me regarding the cards and combos I need to be looking for when crafting my deck? I ain't that good at remembering stuff.

Are people welcoming to new players usually? I know it depends on the store but as a shy person I can't help but worry about fitting in (even at 23)

Thanks in advance folks!

PS:In case anyone asks, I want to buy the sleeves today so I can have my lands already sleeved and have a bit more time to build my deck.

panzone

Hey MTG GAF I need your help. On Saturday I am going to my very first pre-release, and will be playing with people for the very first time.

Nice, it will be a great experience. Pre-releases are always great (I can barely wait for this weekend!)

Today I will be going to the LGS I signed up for the pre-release to pick up some accessories. My question is which sleeves should I get? I am torn between the regular Dragon Shields, Turquoise and KMC Hypermatte. I'd like to eventually start double sleaving with perfect fits but I know the regular Dragon Shields aren't perfect for that. I'm looking for something that can take the stress that comes with weekly Play and shuffling.

I'm using matte Dragon Shields and I'm incredible satisfied but I'm not double sleaving so I can't say something more precise for you.

Regarding etiquette, can I have some notes on me regarding the cards and combos I need to be looking for when crafting my deck? I ain't that good at remembering stuff.

Depends on the players and judges, but usually you shouldn't have any outside notes with you. However, since it's a prerelease and probably the first time you're playing sealed, you can ask other players for help and advices for building your deck.

Are people welcoming to new players usually? I know it depends on the store but as a shy person I can't help but worry about fitting in (even at 23)

Don't worry about that, prereleases are extremely casual and relaxed and everyone knows that there are new players.

Rafy

Depends on the players and judges, but usually you shouldn't have any outside notes with you. However, since it's a prerelease and probably the first time you're playing sealed, you can ask other players for help and advices for building your deck.

I see, good thing I have them in flash cards and will be able to study them today and tomorrow.

Thanks man, good luck with your pre-release

Ashodin

When I get sleeves for sealed I usually

• Bring my own lands pre-sleeved
  • Bring sleeves specifically used for drafting/sealed (since decks are 40, you can buy 50 card sleeve packs)
  • Don't sweat the small stuff, look for 1) bombs 2) removal 3) playables 4) sideboard

Rafy

When I get sleeves for sealed I usually

• Bring my own lands pre-sleeved
  • Bring sleeves specifically used for drafting/sealed (since decks are 40, you can buy 50 card sleeve packs)
  • Don't sweat the small stuff, look for 1) bombs 2) removal 3) playables 4) sideboard

That's exactly why I want to buy them in advance, I just can't decide between the ones I listed. Thanks though, every bit helps

I feel like a dinosaur in this hobby. I have no time to go hang out at card shops, Magic Online doesn't do it for me, and I have zero interest in even learning how Hearthstone works. I still love looking at spoilers/previews and I like dreaming up deck ideas but when it comes to actually playing, I can't be bothered. When I do manage to go to a cardshop, I feel like an old loner, surrounded by people I don't know who I can barely relate to.

Kinda makes me sad

I feel like a dinosaur in this hobby. I have no time to go hang out at card shops, Magic Online doesn't do it for me, and I have zero interest in even learning how Hearthstone works. I still love looking at spoilers/previews and I like dreaming up deck ideas but when it comes to actually playing, I can't be bothered. When I do manage to go to a cardshop, I feel like an old loner, surrounded by people I don't know who I can barely relate to.

Kinda makes me sad

You could always play on Forge/Cockatrice (if you prefer playing with other people.)

Ashodin

Kinda makes me sad

yo but like... even if you have no time, you can still make friends who will recognize you if you frequent it even infrequently.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member

So sealed is a pretty easy format honestly, you won't need notes. Some synergy is great, but sealed is mostly about consistency. First thing to do is rip open all the packs. Don't look at the contents, do that last. Once all the packs are open, lay out all the cards in rows. White Blue Black Red Green Artifacts Multi-Coloured Non-Basic lands.

Once that's done, look through the piles and try to figure out what your two strongest colours are, then arrange the creatures in those two colours (including artifact creatures) by Converted Mana Cost. Try to find the two colours that have a lot of playable creatures. Generally, you want your deck to follow this pattern.

If you can create a nice distribution (curve) like this with no gaps, then just pick out the best 6-8 non-creature spells (with heavy emphasis on cards that remove creatures from the board or prevent them from attacking indefinitely). Now count the cards. You want 17 Lands and 23 creatures/non-creatures. If you have too many, start cutting.the worst stuff. And you're done.

What do you think a good price for a set of AER Commons / Uncommons would be?

$73 CAN seems high, no? That's like $55 USD, but depends on what rate you get with CC / etc.

PS: That's including shipping to Canada from the States (can't find sellers in Canada).

kirblar

What do you think a good price for a set of AER Commons / Uncommons would be?

$73 CAN seems high, no? That's like $55 USD, but depends on what rate you get with CC / etc.

PS: That's including shipping to Canada from the States (can't find sellers in Canada).
I always pay 40 or under, depends on the set.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Update from WotC re: Magic's digital future:

We are reimagining digital versions of Magic and other Wizards games. We recently created the Digital Games Studio, a group of all-stars led by industry veteran Jeffrey Steefel. Jeffrey’s team includes experienced Wizards game designers and industry talent from Dire Wolf, Valve, Cryptic, Warner Bros., Activision, Bioware, and many others. The Magic Online team is now included in this group, as well as digital art and game design. They’re all thinking about how players might tap mana and prepare spells in the future, and I can’t wait for you to see what they’re working on.

We will bring our characters and worlds to other games and experiences. What would it be like to throw fireballs as a Planeswalker in an MMO, or quest for treasure with your friends in a D&D augmented reality game? We want to play games like this too, so we hired David Schwartz, an industry veteran with 25 years of experience leading projects at Microsoft, EA, THQ, Leapfrog and Midway. He is building a Publishing team to explore partnerships and collaborations that will bring Magic and D&D to unexpected settings, genres, and platforms.

We will make your Wizards experiences more efficient, connected and convenient. From getting matched in a big tournament to tracking your achievements to simply getting friends together for game night, there’s a lot that goes into a good experience with a game outside of the game itself. A revamped Technology team led by longtime Wizard Arron Goolsbey will be focused on connecting these kinds of in store and online interactions so you will have cohesive and connected experiences with our games.

Crocodile

dammit I keep forgetting to test Kari Zev in my deck. She keeps slipping my radar.

edit: looking over the deck, her style of gameplay doesn't fit. she herself has to attack, plus she makes a token (which doesn't benefit from always watching).

C173RDWXgAA95G_.png:large

This fanart is adorable. Source?

From what I can gather, the Consulate is the ruling government of Kaladesh that is some weird combo of "meritocracy", "technocratic government", "oligarchy". There are different tiers of the Consulate Government, and depending upon how well you performed you get promoted( Baan, Baral, Tezz). In fact, Tezz being given as much power as he has is a sign that he's made some friends in high places. Baan seems ignorant of Tezz's association with Bolas, so he's not pulling that kind of strings, but Baan did remark that Tezz has risen remarkably fast.

Pia's Beef(And arguably the beef of every Rebel) is that the Consulate believes they have the right to control who gets the Aether and how much they get. The Rebel Alliance disagrees and Chandra first showed her pyromancy when running a smuggling mission. However, Tezz ends up serving as the symbol of the corrupt consulate because since he seized power, the Aether flow has been constricted/the government has cracked down. Think Donald Trump and Racism/Sexism/Bigotry. It's hard to rebel against the systems that are in place, but the moment you have a face to it revolt becomes easier.

From the Artbook pictures that I've seen, it appears that the rebels stop rebelling once Tezzeret is kicked off and the Consulate finally decides to stop constricting Aether. The big "change" that the revolt brings is the freedom of Aether for the plane. I'd also not be surprised (supposing the art book is true) if Pia is given some role in the reformed Consulate as an olive branch to the rebellion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom