• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Notably, he also mentions that in retrospect they should have banned Collected Company in Standard, at least in the post Pro Tour Eldritch Moon weeks.

wow WOTC finally coming around?

Layoffs to presumably free up cost to hire a real dev team for an actual online component.

Acknowledging standard sucks.

There's a difference between calling giants 'dwarves' and having or not having guns. This is a false equivalency. Just because their fantasy settings make you think there should be guns, that doesn't require that they should. Again -- it's not based on history (nor even is there a historical equivalent to draw on for Kaladesh). They can handwave away guns with an in-universe rationalization at any point. Just let it go. It's not happening.
For Kaladesh the equivalency is in technology, but it's also one of the planes I can accept the lack of guns since it's practically futuristic.
The point of the dwarf example is that fantasy isn't 100% original and appropriating themes and other content is subject to scrutiny.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Don't get me wrong - I don't care if there are guns or not, its just funny that there aren't even when we get to worlds that are technology-based.

I think some of their reluctance to have them is misplaced - lots of Final Fantasy games (to provide an example) have guns, its just never presented as being even vaguely more powerful as magic or magic swords/bows/guns.

jph139

A bit I found funny in Maro's recent article about the failed Volatile mechanic (put a Volatile Marker on a permanent, when it goes to the graveyard, it deals 2 damage to an opponent) feels pretty appropriate for guns.

And then there was the third problem. Magic is obviously a game about conflict, but we try to stay within the realm of fantasy and steer clear of making things that feel too "real-world violent." No matter how we tried to spin the flavor, volatile never quite felt fantasy enough.

I'm guessing they figured that turning your revolutionaries into suicide bombers was a bad idea. Wizards seems super sensitive to this sort of thing, so with gun violence being such a hot button issue, they're just not going to use them.

If Kaladesh was introduced in the 90s, I bet there'd be steampunk guns.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Green/White tokens is actually pretty decent. I mean, of course, if you pretend Cat Lady isn't real.

The only deck I really lose to with it is Cat Lady. I have Riskhar's Expertise as a one-of and it is hilarious. Draw 5, play a Verdurous Gearhulk is usually a reasonable line of play. I'm guessing Ajani Unyielding is just a better way to do the same thing though.

THEY DID IT! THEY REALIZED THEY FUCKED UP

Been really happy with Stoddard's comments on the matter. His stance that Rhino, Rally, etc. would have snuck by but CoCo would have been slapped if they'd had the mid-season bans in place makes me think they've calibrated the ban criteria correctly. They also specifically agreed that they were too slow to ban in previous Standards and that they've screwed up by not providing answer cards, both of which mean they've internalized some of the lessons people are trying to impart.

Also kind of amazing to me that Sam's twitter poll was a direct causal factor in the bans happening.

Layoffs to presumably free up cost to hire a real dev team for an actual online component.

Not sure where this layoffs thing comes from. Did someone leave besides Worth?

Angry Grimace

I'm glad they realized that the Pro Tour meta is only relevant sometimes - lots of decks that see play at the Pro Tour have to do with the fact that the Pro Tour's metagame is frequently metagaming against itself and might have little to do with how PTQs or GPs or even low level competitive (FNM) play works out.

It's a pity that things had to get this far before they really started to get it but at least it's something. Still better than the painfully slow reaction to Mirrodin back in the day.

Angry Grimace

Also, I think Yahenni's Expertise is an overrated card in Standard. It's Languish if Languish frequently failed to kill relevant threats. You aren't actually getting any extra value off of the "free spell" if you're casting a second removal spell to clean up whatever Expertise failed to kill.

I'm happy that Stoddard/R&D have realized that they fucked up by having no safety valves in place to prevent stupid shit.

That said, I still it's stupid it took them 12+ months to realize this.

bigkrev

Pinnacle has there usual PT betting page up, here are the O/U for Basics in the top 8
C2FPKJ5WEAAG1c3.jpg

Pinnacle has there usual PT betting page up, here are the O/U for Basics in the top 8
C2FPKJ5WEAAG1c3.jpg
In terms of gambling, I'd bet Plains(Gideon/Acacyn), Mountain(Removal), Island(Queller/Saheeli), Swamp(Lost Legacy is probably the best counter for CopyCat) and Forest(I don't think Delirium can maintain being Golgari with no Emrakul. They'll want more payoff if it stays around)

Angry Grimace

Fun fact: Aetherworks Marvel is still a fucking stupid card.

duxstar

I hate the fact that cat lady control is a thing, id really love to tap out turn 4 sometimes to play spells. The fact that people don't acknowledge the play style of it is fucking insane to me. If saheeli comes down and you don't have a creature with 3 power , you have to leave kill spell mana up (instant speed at that) , and then on turn 7 you need to have enough mana to get through 1 counterspell.

Oh and other than that there entire deck operates at instant speed/flash and there isnt a single uncounterable creature to be had in the last 4 blocks.

Angry Grimace

People keep saying shit like "the combo is fragile!"

Except its not that fragile since you only need 2 cards to immediately win and you can play them in any order, and the idea that neither Guardian or Saheeli do anything at all is absurd.

Using an Aetherworks list its even dumber - Saheeli and Guardian can rebuy ETBs from everything else in the deck, including Oath to dig for combo, Aetherworks to keep digging for free instant speed combo pieces, the other guys to get more energy for Aetherworks, etc.

Angry Grimace

Yup, that looks fucking dumb.

Congrats Wizards, you made Neo Splinter Twin after banning it from Modern, because "lol answers". Marvel is stupid enough, but getting to run that "Oops I win" button is dumb.

I'm still not sure I can get behind Ulamog as the only top end, but that's just me.

None of the top ends matter. The chance of not hitting something that lets you activate Marvel again is very low and there's not enough hate for Marvel in the format.

Bandini

The new Legacy Cube changes definitely improve it overall. My new card highlight so far was probably copying my Angel of Invention with a Phantasmal Image. I also really like new Chandra.

On the bad side, it hurts to lose Mystic Confluence, but I understand why they cut it. And at least they replaced it with a card draw spell. My least favorite change is the addition of Recruiter of the Guard. Twin combo didn't need help.

Angry Grimace

I just won a game by putting Mechanized Production on a Deadlock Trap and locking him out until I had 8 Deadlock Traps.

Supast4r

While you guys speculate on a standard deck that isn't legal, I'm getting excited for pre release that is in a few hours for me :D

Yeef

Had a nuts pool at tonight's midnight event. 2x Thopter Arrest, 2x Caught in the Brights, 1x Revoke Privleges, 1x Daring Demolition, 1x Battle at the Bridge, 2x Aether Poisoner, 1x Impeccable Timing, 1x Subtle Strike, 1x Consulate Crackdown, 1x Herald of Anguish. It was nearly impossible for my opponents to keep anything on the board. I also had two Defiant Salvagers, which made all of the enchantment-based removal weaker against me.

I only dropped two games; one in a mirror match and one against a turn 4 Tezzeret.

Lost to Mechanized Production. Guy had that and a Whirlermaker and just kept pumping out thopters. I had him down to 2 life with no board and couldn't close the deal. Ugh.

hermit7

Sweet pool. Had noxious gear hulk as well as rishkar and her expertise and they all went in gb which is loaded with counters. Was fortunate to have 2 dorks to ramp and her expertise is realllly good. Drawing 5 and casting a 5 Cmc with gearhulk out is dirty.

I think those cards will be quite good.

Pulled a planar bridge invention but didn't play it.

Rafy

On my way back home from my first ever pre-release and hands on experience with MTG. I had A Lot of fun! I played a black/red deck, that I crafted in a hurry and as the games went on my opponents tweaked it and helped my out.

I also played against another new player and that was the most fun game of the day. As soon as I get home I'll post my deck, I'd sure appreciate the feedback.

Boy, I've never experienced 4 hours go by so fast before! Thanks for helping me prepare this past few days MTG GAF.

Had a decent midnight pre, pool was pretty bad but I made a BR aggressive deck w/ a blue splash for gearseeker serpent and trophy mage. There's not nearly enough energy generation to have mythics that require you to pay 8 of it.

Had an awesome day of commander though. Akiri is a goddamn beast and Silas makes for a good backup plan. I won 2 times by comboing out, the second time my hand was 2 lands a talisman, sol ring, breya, timesieve and an equipment tutor. I went for thopter foundry but it was destroyed before I could combo off so Silas had to get in and was able to thanks to a flashed in by Sigarda's aid sword protecting him from burn and a flashed in sunforger countering my opponents next spell trying to destroy him. 'p
The other time I got time sieve and sword of the meek from an opponent's wheel but wouldn't live another round, I got enough cheap equipments, BR Daretti buying back the sword of the meek with his 1/1 constructs and mana rocks as well as artifact lands to buy myself 5 turns, ultimate daretti make 3 sword of light and shadow sac them and draw demonic tutor to win.
Akiri also regularly attacked for 21+

norm9

Couldn't make last night's midnight release as I'm working today. On facebook, they had free Chipotle for people signed up based on the pictures.

Going to try to hit up the sealed event Sunday and hope they have more free chipotle. I've played two in-real-life matches total, so I think I'm ready.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Pulled absolute garbage. Zero bombs. Atrocious.

Still went 3-1 because I'm good at this magic shit.

Also,one of these days I'll find a shop that starts its fucking tournaments on time.

Angry Grimace

3 people at this prerelease with Saheeli Guardian. Watched one of them open it so it's legit.

Santiako

I went 3-1-1 with a pretty good UW fliers deck. I lost to my round to Saheeli cat, the guy had 2 cats lol. Fucking combo is such an oversight.

bigkrev

Reporter software crashed, so pairings for 70ish people had to be done by hand. Round 4 didn't start till 5:30, the tournament started at noon.

Ijustwanttodie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom