• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Robot Wars Community Thread

Tsukumo

I'm not familiar with the series, but the difficulty balance of G Generation Genesis feels off. My main team is overpowered really early already.

Surprised to read this. You don't happen to have Unicorn in your lines, do you? If you are going for a balance run, I suggest this:
- follow the chronological storyline, don't jump backwards with overpowered units into the Year one war.
- don't equip option parts.
- don't upgrade skills and stats on your pilots.
- don't grind (money, exp, or ace points).
Anyway, you can always upgrade difficulty on the fly to hard or extra.

Tsukumo

No, i'm following the storyline (late MS Igloo maps). My Phoenix Gundam units are wiping the floor.

Ah right. Those too. Yeah I ditched mine as soon as I saw the stats on that thing. But now I see what you mean: that was a too powerful unit to be unlocked that easily that fast...
Not a wise choice in balance design.

Tsukumo

Just read a tweet on SRW site saying a 2nd PV for V is coming on 17 of this month.

edit: BTW is there a way to get SRW Omega on my phone? Italy here.

I just got this yesterday, I'm not really sure how to play without using the Phoenix units? Like Stage 2 of the MSG storyline, I have no idea how you'd have enough units to complete it just from playing Stage 1.

Just read a tweet on SRW site saying a 2nd PV for V is coming on 17 of this month.

edit: BTW is there a way to get SRW Omega on my phone? Italy here.
My cousins are playing the game, they used an app called "Qooapp" from the play store and then downloaded Cross Omega. It seems there's no official way to play it outside Japan (Chile here)

Tsukumo

I just got this yesterday, I'm not really sure how to play without using the Phoenix units? Like Stage 2 of the MSG storyline, I have no idea how you'd have enough units to complete it just from playing Stage 1.

Are you playing the English version?
Stage 2 is actually considered one of the most grind-friendly.
First, don't rush enemies let them come to you.
Second, guest units (Guncannon, Guntank, Core Fighter) have higher stats than enemy units, so you can use them to trim down enemy numbers.
Then you hit what's left of enemy units with the guests and finish them off with your originals. At this point in the game you should already have access to the Zani, it's basically a Jim with an insane long range rifle: buy a couple.
Third, use squad attacks and master squad attacks (the manual should make things clear for you) and double tap every enemy (shoot everything using two units, not just one). Finish off the flying magellas with melee, otherwise you won't have enough accuracy to hit them.
Don't waste your time fighting the Dopps in the sky, they'll come to you.
Always check on enemy units' range, since most of them have blind spots.

My cousins are playing the game, they used an app called "Qooapp" from the play store and then downloaded Cross Omega. It seems there's no official way to play it outside Japan (Chile here)

Oh, too bad. Lucky for me I just saw the New Years special and the cringe sort of made me feel less hurt for not being able to play this thing. Wish we'd get an updated version of Supa Robo Gakuen on 3DS...

Are you playing the English version?
Stage 2 is actually considered one of the most grind-friendly.
First, don't rush enemies let them come to you.
Second, guest units (Guncannon, Guntank, Core Fighter) have higher stats than enemy units, so you can use them to trim down enemy numbers.
Then you hit what's left of enemy units with the guests and finish them off with your originals. At this point in the game you should already have access to the Zani, it's basically a Jim with an insane long range rifle: buy a couple.
Third, use squad attacks and master squad attacks (the manual should make things clear for you) and double tap every enemy (shoot everything using two units, not just one). Finish off the flying magellas with melee, otherwise you won't have enough accuracy to hit them.
Don't waste your time fighting the Dopps in the sky, they'll come to you.
Always check on enemy units' range, since most of them have blind spots.

I'm more confused about how to use the formation/group thing. Just buying a warship is super expensive, and the early ones are only compatible with specific terrain. And then the units and pilots are another cost on top of that. I'm just really not sure what an early formation/group would look like without using the Phoenix units.

Am I supposed to make a ton of custom characters and spam Saberfish until I get further in the game?

Just started playing Moon Dwellers this weekend. I still can't believe that I'm playing an English SRW game. Well, yeah I played the GBA ones back in the day but it's been a while since then. Also, since I only played those two OG games before this, I feel that there's quite a gap between GBA OG2 ending and the start of Moon Dwellers. I know most of the characters but there are also others that I don't. I think I missed about 2 big wars? Fortunately, the characters explained the past events quite well so I think I kinda get the big picture now.

Tsukumo

For people who are interested in this, the Supa Robo Channel episode of January 17 will be aired live on YouTube also. It's 9 PM Japan.
That's the episode with the new SRW V promo btw.

-Amon-

Hi all, first post here.

I'm interested in importing SRW V.

Is the asian version that's coming out this february fully translated in english ? ( Not audio of course, but text, not only subs but menus too ? )

Another thing. Do i need an asian PSN id ? Probably not for playing, but for dlc ?

Thanks !

Do we know if the Asian version gets the "anime soundtrack" edition.

Not that it probably matters for me since I don't think I will/can cancel my order on amiami.

Does Sony help Bandai fund these games? I'm wondering if SRW V has any chance of coming to the Switch, it would make it way easier than choosing between PS4 and Vita.

I kinda doubt SRWV on Switch, just don't see Bandai going back and releasing it again later on. I could see another unique SRW title get released on it, though. Kinda like we saw on Wii.

I kinda doubt SRWV on Switch, just don't see Bandai going back and releasing it again later on. I could see another unique SRW title get released on it, though. Kinda like we saw on Wii.

With the Switch having no region lock I wouldn't mind seeing a new SRW game for it. A bunch of games like W, L, K, UX, etc were released on Nintendo portables so I'd say it's a possibility.

With the Switch having no region lock I wouldn't mind seeing a new SRW game for it. A bunch of games like W, L, K, UX, etc were released on Nintendo portables so I'd say it's a possibility.

It will be really interesting to see if they'd bother localizing them for Southeast Asia like they have the recent Gundam/SRW titles for PS4.

It will be really interesting to see if they'd bother localizing them for Southeast Asia like they have the recent Gundam/SRW titles for PS4.

Maybe they see an Asian release as lucrative now? Isn't SRW V getting an Asian release with English subs? If so it's possible this is something they are going to do for all future SRW titles.

Maybe they see an Asian release as lucrative now? Isn't SRW V getting an Asian release with English subs? If so it's possible this is something they are going to do for all future SRW titles.

Yep. Just like Gundam Breaker 3, SRW Moon Dwellers and G Gen Genesis.

At least on Sony consoles. What's Nintendo's market penetration like in HK, Taiwan, Thailand, Singapore, Philippines, etc.?

And the other question is "is there a precedent for games on Nintendo consoles being localized in English for SE Asia and not Europe/North America?" The recent mecha/Gundam stuff wasn't the first time it's happened with a game on Sony hardware.

Kinda wonder if Nintendo is cool with it. They've had strange responses to stuff before.

squall23

Yep. Just like Gundam Breaker 3, SRW Moon Dwellers and G Gen Genesis.

At least on Sony consoles. What's Nintendo's market penetration like in HK, Taiwan, Thailand, Singapore, Philippines, etc.?
I can't tell you how popular Nintendo in general is over there, but I can tell you Fire Emblem has an immense popularity there alongside SRW.

Blue-kun

Kira and Ange. Perorina and Bonta-kun. The former I was looking forward to seeing, but I never knew I needed Perorina and Bonta-kun interacting until they showed this in the trailer, lol. As expected of SRW devs!

Yeah, they got me with this trailer, alright. Loving what they did with Vilkiss, and Yamato/Might Gaine animations also look really damn cool.

Can't wait for next month!

Shouta

Why would FMP look any different? The old series are just take sprite/animation from Z3 -> import to V.

Outside Mazinger because Mazinger.

They have been known to improve animations even after importing them from another game. I was just expecting too much of them. =(

Tsukumo

- Fuck that shaky cam. Thought after Alpha 2 Terada would have learned a valuable lesson.

- Loved Emperor's animations. Alpha and Alpha Gaiden's Mazinkaiser level of epicness.

- Aww yasssss! Penelope!

- Can't figure out where they are going with the plot. Hoped the went D for a second... a self-contained chapter with Char, Gweney (or whatever) and Quess would have been awesomo.

- Not getting the limited. Not much interest in the original song, plus March is going to rip apart my wallet. I doubt Horizon will be able to keep me away from Zelda.

- Daitarn/Zambot combination looked really lame.

- Gain looked unbelievably good. Too bad it looks like such a toy. Really dampens the dark mood of V.

- Did I just saw a Prince of Darkness version of Yurika? is my man Gai getting the W treatment? if so this is going to be my favourite SRW of all time.

- Impressive work on the cut-in for Akito. Never liked the one they used in MX. Hopefully we get him mid-way through.

Just watched the second pv and thought it looks good. Some lame animations aside, it has promise for sure. 3d maps and full character portraits are welcome back of course.

No word on the Asian English version getting the soundtrack edition?

Bebpo

Banned
Not sure if I'm gonna play V right away. Nier Automata comes out the same day and I'm definitely gonna play that first (decently burnt out on yearly SRW right now). I think I'll wait for all your impressions and how it compares to Z3 (hopefully light years better). Still grabbing the regular version day 1, just gonna throw it in the backlog pile for a bit.

Most exciting bit about V so far is the 3d maps. Definitely missed them.

Blue-kun

Did they ever confirm or deny the Custom BGM feature being in the game? I mean, the fact they're doing this soundtrack thing kinda makes me fearful they're not gonna make it avaible, but...

squall23

Did they ever confirm or deny the Custom BGM feature being in the game? I mean, the fact they're doing this soundtrack thing kinda makes me fearful they're not gonna make it avaible, but...
PS4 kind of prevents it. Unlike PS3, you can't move music files to PS4's internal hard drive. You can argue that Bamco can just program the game to read the music file from a USB stick or drive, but why do that when you can just license music from record labels? I'm saying that half-sarcastically.

Blue-kun

PS4 kind of prevents it. Unlike PS3, you can't move music files to PS4's internal hard drive. You can argue that Bamco can just program the game to read the music file from a USB stick or drive, but why do that when you can just license music from record labels? I'm saying that half-sarcastically.

Oh, I... see. I only own a Vita, right now, so I'm getting it there, but obviously we wouldn't want the Vita kids to have a feature of their own while the more expensive version lacks it, huh.

I... guess I should start accepting that I'm not going to listen to Nana sing Kindan no Resistance while playing. At least the new arrangements all sound really damn good. Love the synth they're using as a replacement for the vocals on that one, and Gaine's theme with the sax is also marvelous.

Cross Ange looks silly. Why would a the pilot comes out of her cockpit to fire at the enemy's mech? Does it even matter?

I haven't watch the anime, but I heard it's full of fanservice and ecchi stuff so I never have the urge to watch it.

It's Namco, won't get my hopes up on any share functions usable lol

Well, yeah. And it's full of licensed anime this time. I guess it's not gonna happen. :/

killatopak

Gold Member
Pretty hyped with all the new mech available in srw v.

Never knew that it was so close to being released. My only regret is that i can't purchase those dlcs and ost on my vita with it using na account.

Why was the cameraman having a seizure in the new Unicorn animation?

Because it's a very boring animation so the have to do something to make it look more dynamic other than actually making a better animation.
Cross Ange looks silly. Why would a the pilot comes out of her cockpit to fire at the enemy's mech? Does it even matter?

I haven't watch the anime, but I heard it's full of fanservice and ecchi stuff so I never have the urge to watch it./
It's purely for dramatic effect. Just think of it as Code Geass season 2 without all the lead up of Season 1. The show is extremely generic and extremely stupid. It goes for style over substance, it's entire presentation is supposed to be shocking and dramatic with character deaths. It takes the cheapest and shortest route possible to appeal to the emotions of the viewer. It's an attempt at making entertainment without making anything of value. It's also a perfect fit for SRW with how creatively bankrupt and unoriginal it is.

Tsukumo

Some footage from the Taipei game show, with what I assume to be the first/second stage of SRW V.
Really liking the animations and the ridiculous scale of the sprites: Yamato takes up the entire screen LMAO.
I don't see as much shaky cam as in the last PV so hopefully they saw the light.

https://youtu.be/OHmUyqoxOfY

Blue-kun

Seems like the 2nd trailer for SRWV got posted in chinese (?). The main thing to note here is that it, uh, doesn't use the songs from the shows for each attack, replacing them with what I think are original tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdDamNVsHJM

I... just hope that won't be a thing in the full game for the SEA version? Or if it is that they'll still allow custom BGM, lol. It'd be really lame if licensing issues made it so that we couldn't get the 'original' soundtrack :/

Top Bottom