• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
If Marvel Cat - the Clone Wars takes off as a dominant deck they'll probably hit it and Cat at the same time.
The problem with Aetherworks is that it's just too good in general. It does an overpowered thing at an obviously cut rate.

I was just poking around SCG's site and it seems next weekend is the last Standard Open until April 29th. Unless you count "Team Constructed", which seems more stupid the more I read into it: Per team, one player is on Standard, one is on Modern, and one is playing Legacy. Basically, if you're from a Modern/Standard area, you need to find someone who can play Legacy. And if you're from Jersey, you'll need to find someone who is good at both Modern and Standard. Tall order. And then you all can't really efficiently playtest with one another because you'll all need practice on different formats?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
When did the term "rate" crop up to describe card quality? I see it everywhere now but it wasn't there a year or two ago.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
I remember reading about Rate on The Dojo. Then it went away for 20 years, and is now back?

Never left.

If you type "I don't rate that" in quotes and "mtg" in google, it shows tons of results.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I obviously have the hugest boner for Improvise. I don't think I've made a non-improvise deck in a week.

Renegade Map is literally my favorite card in the set.

Angry Grimace

Send help

Deck: UG Investigate
u.gif
g.gif

//Lands
4 Aether Hub
4 Botanical Sanctum
4 Evolving Wilds
1 Forest
4 Island
4 Spire of Industry

//Spells
3 Confirm Suspicions
4 Inspiring Statuary
4 Metallic Rebuke
4 Ongoing Investigation
4 Renegade Map
4 Servo Schematic
4 Whir of Invention

//Creatures
4 Erdwal Illuminator
4 Tireless Tracker
4 Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger

//Sideboard
2 Dispel
3 Disallow
3 Negate
4 Mechanized Production
3 Engulf the Shore

Display deck statistics

Why no Tamiyo's Journal/The Green Guy that lets you cheat a creature into play with Investigate?

I obviously have the hugest boner for Improvise. I don't think I've made a non-improvise deck in a week.

Renegade Map is literally my favorite card in the set.
Improvise belongs right up there with Investigate for being a fantastic mechanic. I mean, it's probably a 3/4 on the storm scale, but I would not be surprised if Improvise becomes a mechanic in every Artifact block. It's like a fixed version of affinity.

duxstar

I wish there were good top end cards in standard or a halfway decent haste enabler. I want to use cryptolith rites, indomitable creativity into like 4 decimator of provinces isn't good enough.

I wonder if 3 aetherbaskers and a haste enabler would work. The problem is everyone is running negates/metallic rebukes, or spell quellers

Just let me do my dumb fun things

I wish there were good top end cards in standard or a halfway decent haste enabler. I want to use cryptolith rites, indomitable creativity into like 4 decimator of provinces isn't good enough.

I wonder if 3 aetherbaskers and a haste enabler would work. The problem is everyone is running negates/metallic rebukes, or spell quellers

Just let me do my dumb fun things
There's a 4 mana red 3/2 from Kaladesh you can pay an energy for to give a creature haste. Combined with the greenbelt rampager and cryptolith rites that's infinite ETB and spells cast for paradoxical engine. If you also have the bestiary you can draw your whole deck as well.

Angry Grimace

So we think improvise is a good mechanic now?

No. It's fun though. You get to do goofy shit. Sometimes.

The thing is, Herald of Anguish is good. Nothing else really is unless you use Statuary to get it, and that's using up a turn to fiddle around. The biggest problem with Whir of Invention is that there's nothing terribly exciting to fetch other than goofball shit like Paradox Engine.

Ashodin

I think certain cards are neat in the right shell. I thought it would do more broken stuff but it's exactly a slightly worse version of convoke just like others have said.

Usually with artifacts as the target of mechanics it can be seen as broken.

Deck: Clues Lead to Arrest
w.gif
u.gif

//Main
8 Island
7 Plains
4 Port Town
4 Prairie Stream

//Creature
2 Archangel Avacyn
3 Baral, Chief of Compliance
4 Bygone Bishop
4 Erdwal Illuminator
4 Spell Queller

//Planeswalker
4 Dovin Baan

//Sorcery
3 Reverse Engineer

//Instant
3 Confirm Suspicions
3 Metallic Rebuke

//Enchantment
4 Mechanized Production
2 Trail of Evidence

//Artifact
1 Tamiyo's Journal

//Sideboard
3 Baral's Expertise
4 Disallow
4 Dispel
3 Fumigate
1 Planar Outburst

Display deck statistics

No. It's fun though. You get to do goofy shit. Sometimes.

The thing is, Herald of Anguish is good. Nothing else really is unless you use Statuary to get it, and that's using up a turn to fiddle around. The biggest problem with Whir of Invention is that there's nothing terribly exciting to fetch other than goofball shit like Paradox Engine.

Expecting Amonkhet to have crazy artifacts. It's the set most likely to have powerful buried artifacts.

Angry Grimace

The only reason its technically worse than convoke is because you can't tap for color, but it doesn't matter outside of corner cases where you try to tap a Gearhulk for mana because artifacts are colorless.

Angry Grimace

Bit whir just had to be triple blue. Triple blue is really hard to get at times. Can't even play it in EDH because of that.

It is, but I'm glad it is. There's things that could be busted with that card if it wasn't costed so heavily in blue.

Angry Grimace

Angry Grimace

I wish people would stop saying Ballista is the new Hangarback.

It's not Hangarback. You don't just start all your decks with 4 copies of Ballista unless you're in a deck with some kind of synergy with it.

Ashodin

BG is the only deck that utilizes it to its fullest.

The tendency for the MTG Community to compare one thing to another and call it the "new X" is grating.

Just because Walking Ballista is XX and comes with X +1/+1 counters is not the same as Hangarback. Hangarback was useful in tons of decks, this is at best in most other decks a SB answer to planeswalkers and some x/1 or x/2 creatures.

Angry Grimace

BG is the only deck that utilizes it to its fullest.

The tendency for the MTG Community to compare one thing to another and call it the "new X" is grating.

Just because Walking Ballista is XX and comes with X +1/+1 counters is not the same as Hangarback. Hangarback was useful in tons of decks, this is at best in most other decks a SB answer to planeswalkers and some x/1 or x/2 creatures.

The problem is that its colorless and looked good on camera in the Snake deck, so people assume its just generally great.

It's actually below curve and you're not terribly likely to get all that many counters out of it before it gets Pushed/Murdered/Snared/etc. If you have Snake out, its awesome though - you're getting huge quickly.

I think it's a great mechanic on paper, and fits 100% into a standard that is built with heavy artifacts in mind(clues, tokens, vehicles, etc).

That said, I don't think it's particularly strong right now in Standard, but it's a fun Mechanic. What it needs is some big splashy 8+Drop(not Metalwork) to make the payoff there. I mean, Nahiri is begging for one in Standard imo, when you can fetch Eldrazi minus Emrakul.

Angry Grimace

I think it's a great mechanic on paper, and fits 100% into a standard that is built with heavy artifacts in mind(clues, tokens, vehicles, etc).

That said, I don't think it's particularly strong right now in Standard, but it's a fun Mechanic. What it needs is some big splashy 8+Drop(not Metalwork) to make the payoff there. I mean, Nahiri is begging for one in Standard imo, when you can fetch Eldrazi minus Emrakul.
What it actually needs is to be in a format that doesn't have Marvel or Felidar Guardian. The format is legitimately awesome if you don't play against those decks.

Map means most artifact decks should be 3 color and built around the various payoffs but losing on Turn 4 makes it hard to justify in a serious competitive sense. And I don't mean Statuary that card is fun but it's a trap the same way Cryptolith Rites is. It's fun but it's always gonna be janky imo.

bigkrev

I've never heard of Rachel Agnes, but she just made an insane play to win a spot into the VSL! Attack with Mentor and tokens into thalia, Thalia blocks and kills mentor with First Strike Damage, but the dead Mentor is the last card she needs to Delve through Thalia's effect a Dig Through Time, to make the Tokens lethal!

OnPoint

I've never heard of Rachel Agnes, but she just made an insane play to win a spot into the VSL! Attack with Mentor and tokens into thalia, Thalia blocks and kills mentor with First Strike Damage, but the dead Mentor is the last card she needs to Delve through Thalia's effect a Dig Through Time, to make the Tokens lethal!

Yeah I just watched that too. It was a crazy good move.

Angry Grimace

MTG streamer. Also Alex Bertoncini's girlfriend. Yes, THAT Bertoncini.

Lucario

Is Fatal Push the most expensive in-print Uncommon ever or have there been other cards that have gotten that high?

There used to be a lot of expensive uncommons when print runs were smaller. I remember being excited about opening Wall of Omens and Eternal Witness when I was a kid, since both were $~5 cards close to launch.

It's been a while, though. Closest in recent memory is Stoke the Flames at ~$3-4.

Magic Story - Puppets
* Pretty short and simple this time around.
* Liliana goes off to confront Tezzeret. She makes a zombie, which Consulate soldiers are so disgusted by that they largely keep out of her way.
* Some do build up the nerve to confront her, and to her own surprise, she doesn't kill them but just drains enough energy to temporarily blind and weaken them so they can't block.
* She finds Tezzeret, who blocks her life drain and zombie attacks with metal. He believes she was sent there by Bolas, which she is surprised by.
* He taunts her for becoming soft, and believes Jace is manipulating her.
* Liliana overpowers him with the Chain Veil, and starts asking about Bolas. He reveals that he's on Amonkhet, which is also where one of Liliana's demons is. This one is even more powerful than the ones she killed already.
* Tezzeret looks at something behind her, and she actually follows the evil overlord's list by jumping out of the way instead of looking behind her. However, it isn't one of Tezzeret's thopters, but the Hope of Ghirapur.
* There is some romance as Gideon spreads his indestructibility to Chandra and she releases a huge explosion to destroy the Planar Bridge.
* Liliana gets out from under the rubble, but Tezzeret is missing.

EDIT: Really? No one? FNM promo updates, now doing three months at a time. April, May, and June.
etmLQZp2qd.png
0nOLfWFk3w.png
4jfEhASU2A.png

They're really trying to soften Lili. I mean, I actually think it can be for the best because a mono-black planeswalker who isn't just completely callous and out for themselves with no other cares is better than the alternative.

I'm pretty happy with the new FNM promos. Two of them are absolutely Standard playable and the other may or may not end up being in serious Standard decks once things settle.

Santiako

Grimace, this Improvise deck just top 8'd a PPTQ here in the UK, I know you were brewing improvise so maybe this has some ideas for you:

Gregory Wiggett – Grixis Improvise

Lands (22)
4 Island
1 Mountain
5 Swamp
2 Aether Hub
1 Inventors’ Fair
3 Spirebluff Canal
4 Spire of Industry
2 Sunken Hollow

Creatures (8)
4 Herald of Anguish
4 Maverick Thopterist

Other spells (31)
2 Battle at the Bridge
4 Fatal Push
4 Renegade Map
3 Metalspinner's Puzzleknot
4 Prophetic Prism
4 Servo Schematic
4 Metallic Rebuke
1 Tezzeret the Schemer
4 Reverse Engineer
1 Noxious Gearhulk

Sideboard (15)
2 Walking Ballista
1 Battle at the Bridge
3 Negate
2 Transgress the Mind
2 Unlicensed Disintegration
1 Ruinous Path
3 Yahenni's Expertise
1 Dark Intimation

Angry Grimace

How many more variants on "Beefslab" can Liliana come up with?

Also, at the very least it seems like Liliana is going to manipulate them into going to Amonkhet rather than them just being dumb and ignoring Ajani.

Grimace, this Improvise deck just top 8'd a PPTQ here in the UK, I know you were brewing improvise so maybe this has some ideas for you:

Gregory Wiggett – Grixis Improvise

Lands (22)
4 Island
1 Mountain
5 Swamp
2 Aether Hub
1 Inventors' Fair
3 Spirebluff Canal
4 Spire of Industry
2 Sunken Hollow

Creatures (8)
4 Herald of Anguish
4 Maverick Thopterist

Other spells (31)
2 Battle at the Bridge
4 Fatal Push
4 Renegade Map
3 Metalspinner's Puzzleknot
4 Prophetic Prism
4 Servo Schematic
4 Metallic Rebuke
1 Tezzeret the Schemer
4 Reverse Engineer
1 Noxious Gearhulk

Sideboard (15)
2 Walking Ballista
1 Battle at the Bridge
3 Negate
2 Transgress the Mind
2 Unlicensed Disintegration
1 Ruinous Path
3 Yahenni's Expertise
1 Dark Intimation

I'll give it a shot. Battle at the Bridge is awesome against Aggro, I think its underrated. I do not like Yahenni's Expertise though. I don't think it is very good, tbh. Baral's Expertise just seems better most of the time. You're looking to stall them out and prevent them from spending mana removing your guys and there's a lot less interesting options to cast at 3 and below than 4 and below.

OnPoint

How many more variants on "Beefslab" can Liliana come up with?

Also, at the very least it seems like Liliana is going to manipulate them into going to Amonkhet rather than them just being dumb and ignoring Ajani.
Point 1: I hate it.

Point 2: I like this. Her tricking them is much better than them just marching into the face of certain doom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom