• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria: Azure Revolution |Import OT| Wild Armaments

Nyoro SF

So I just cleared chapter 1 and while it was still mostly breezy easy, there were a few enemies in the final map that did super fast/crazy damage if you didn't take cover or use smoke grenades.

The most fun I've had so far is when the game forces you to actually use all the tools at your disposal to effectively take out squads without getting super damaged. I'm hoping that happens more often the further I get in.

So the book structure is still there, but you don't actually start in the book. When you go back to the book to rewatch cutscenes etc, you'll find optional cutscenes that you can watch that'll flesh things out. If you don't wanna watch them, you can just mainline the story. It's kind of neat.

Heh, just like VC1, where optional cutscenes were marked with an asterisk. For those not in the know it's a history book this time unlike the journalist's memoir from VC1. In VC3 it was an intelligence briefing through film. VC2 didn't have any of that cause the game doesn't exist.

I definitely hope resource management comes more into play later where you're forced to give more direct orders and such. And maybe they nerfed Amleth's Rush Blaze.

First I've seen or heard of this. Looks a little more grown-up (i.e. no moé shit)?

And Matsuda's composing?

And it's coming west? On XB1?

Interesting.

Thats like asking will an English release have the original JP text in it.

*Looks to our glorious saviors, FROM Software and Miyazaki, and their love of English-only voice-tracks with Japanese subtitles. Even in games that will never get an English release.*

I really didn't dig the demo and impressions I've seen have not been kind, but man I really don't know

TBH, I'm willing to bet one of my Steam trading cards that this is simply another case of what Demon's Souls suffered where the demo simply cannot be an accurate representation of what the whole package will be.

People like to forget that before Souls went big-league, Demon's Souls got torn apart by critics for its ill-conceived TGS demo.

So I just cleared chapter 1 and while it was still mostly breezy easy, there were a few enemies in the final map that did super fast/crazy damage if you didn't take cover or use smoke grenades.

The most fun I've had so far is when the game forces you to actually use all the tools at your disposal to effectively take out squads without getting super damaged. I'm hoping that happens more often the further I get in.

So the book structure is still there, but you don't actually start in the book. When you go back to the book to rewatch cutscenes etc, you'll find optional cutscenes that you can watch that'll flesh things out. If you don't wanna watch them, you can just mainline the story. It's kind of neat.
Awesome!
PS4 or Vita?
How are the RPG elements?
Is the story interesting so far? No spoilers

Kysen

Started the game yesterday and already wishing for a harder difficulty :/ Really liking the action combat though. Seems like this game has way more character growth than the last.

Valkyria is dea...

A POLITE REQUEST: While I don't anticipate this thread being very popular, I ask that you do not devolve this thread into whining about Sega, whining about how this game is not a Chronicles game (something it was never claimed to be), begging for HD remakes of VC2 and VC3, or posting assumed woe-is-us fantasies about how the Valkyria series is "dead" or "finished".

...r to my heart.

The reviews on Amazon Japan are mostly one stars. People are complaining about the graphics, sound design, UI, and boring combat. Those user reviews on Amazon Japan are notoriously harsh though, so take that for what it's worth

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
When has Valkyria ever been moe?

TBH the artwork in this looks to me like it skews a bit younger.

image423.png

Number 2 tried a bit too hard to be "slice of life" with the whole school setting. Which is why things shifted back in the right direction with 3. At least thats how I saw 2 and know Im not the only one also with how others viewed it.

Number 2 tried a bit too hard to be "slice of life" with the whole school setting. Which is why things shifted back in the right direction with 3. At least thats how I saw 2 and know Im not the only one also with how others viewed it.

Sure, but there's a difference between that and the game looking like this:

Gochuumon-wa-Usagi-Desu-kaIs-the-Order-a-Rabbit-wallpaper.jpg

Nyoro SF

For some reason amiami is not charging me for my order... that's a first. Usually they ask me for money before the game even gets there. But if they keep delaying, it will be ages until I get a chance to play, how annoying... hopefully they don't become an unreliable service from here on out. Maybe I should've ordered directly from Amazon JP instead this time.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
For some reason amiami is not charging me for my order... that's a first. Usually they ask me for money before the game even gets there. But if they keep delaying, it will be ages until I get a chance to play, how annoying... hopefully they don't become an unreliable service from here on out. Maybe I should've ordered directly from Amazon JP instead this time.

You think they oversold stock or something? A buddy of mine had issues with them with Coven, similar to what you are describing here.

u_neek

As a Dane, I am loving the Danish character and location names.

In case you didn't know, Jutland is the name of Denmark's main archipelago...
400px-Jutland.png

...while Elsinore, which appears to be the game's main hub (?), is a town close to the capital of Copenhagen:
Oplevelser-Helsing%C3%B8r.jpg

Nyoro SF

You think they oversold stock or something? A buddy of mine had issues with them with Coven, similar to what you are describing here.

I shot them a message. They're pretty good at responding quickly to those. We'll see what the deal is... don't want to lose a storefront that's been reliable for me for the past 4+ years.

400px-Jutland.png

...while Elsinore, which appears to be the game's main hub (?), is a town close to the capital of Copenhagen:

Makes me want to do more traveling. Reminds me of how I went to Venice the same year that Bayonetta 2 came out and recognized the style of one of the levels.

400px-Jutland.png

Yeah but geographically the game takes place smack dab in the middle of the Ottoman Empire.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

jae

Apparently I bought the PS4 version (and season pass...) off PSN last night after taking an ambien.

The 2nd demo and the prologue demo were fine. Was planning on waiting for a price drop, but will dive in this weekend after I wrap up my FFXIII replay.

Now I want Valkyria game sets in pseudo-ottoman vs pseudo-austria conflict.
T-thanks

I want VC4 to be a remake of the greatest campaigns of Europa Universalis IV

Make Byzantium Great Again.

/s obviously. Honestly, I don't want a real plot for VC4. Honestly, I'm holding out for a VC that's a proper 4X.

So... Yasunori Mitsuda and Sega just did a video for the OST of Valkyria Chronicles: Azure Revolultion but... did any one else notice this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5zbt4jIoQ0

This song.
https://youtu.be/A5zbt4jIoQ0?t=389

vs

https://youtu.be/Eg3VJDE7WYU?list=PL6vLnPnyWpJs4W0C74YFJZc3YowAjfmlD&t=42

Nearly identical in a lot of ways yet different... wow... I love it! :D

Rehashing Final Fantasy OSTs is a Valkyria series tradition, breached only by The One We Shall Not Speak Of.

jb1234

So... Yasunori Mitsuda and Sega just did a video for the OST of Valkyria Chronicles: Azure Revolultion but... did any one else notice this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5zbt4jIoQ0

This song.
https://youtu.be/A5zbt4jIoQ0?t=389

vs

https://youtu.be/Eg3VJDE7WYU?list=PL6vLnPnyWpJs4W0C74YFJZc3YowAjfmlD&t=42

Nearly identical in a lot of ways yet different... wow... I love it! :D

Probably unintentional. Both pieces are overusing various film score cliches. That's probably my biggest disappointment with Valkyria's soundtrack so far. It's definitely written by Mitsuda but it's so slathered in cinematic gloss that it's all style and no substance. I listen to a track and can't remember a single thing about it because the tunes just aren't memorable. I'm sure it'll be fine in the game. though.

Strings

The reviews on Amazon Japan are mostly one stars. People are complaining about the graphics, sound design, UI, and boring combat. Those user reviews on Amazon Japan are notoriously harsh though, so take that for what it's worth

There was crazy distracting pop in, and texture swapping in a really apparent set radius in the final demo / first chapter of the game I played. So the graphics thing makes sense at least.

Honestly, I don't even care if the game ends up being bad (as in, BAD, not mediocre) - The series holds a special place in my heart that's completely unrelated to the first duology's quality, but rather what it symbolized.

I picked up the first game for PS3 when I was on the verge of quitting gaming for good when Halo 4's complete awfulness drove me into rageselling my 360 and it's collection. I hated anime before for the most part, dismissing it as a childish timewaster. But for some reason, after playing Valkyria Chronicles for some reason, I made the biggest mistake of my life - I started watching anime I watched the anime adaptation of the game. And then I started watching anime for some reason. And before I knew it I was some fucking wreck of a weaboo.

Valkyria Chronicles was a fucking Gateway Drug.

Don't do drugs kids.

I will forever blame 343 Industries for this turn of events occurring. Halo 4 was so horrible it turned me into a weaboo from the shock.

Strings

I will forever blame 343 Industries for this turn of events occurring. Halo 4 was so horrible it turned me into a weaboo from the shock.

Ahaha. My anime origin story is way less interesting:

swimming_death_note_gif_by_shisha_no_pawa-d3g9m6l.gif

Saw that gif on a friends usb in high school. Somehow ended up with him giving me all of Death Note.

Nyoro SF

I'd post impressions but Amiami totally screwed me over. They still haven't invoiced me. Sent them a message and they said they'd invoice me in 24 hours, but it's been 48. Sent them another message and we'll see what's up. First screwup from them in years...

I'd post impressions but Amiami totally screwed me over. They still haven't invoiced me. Sent them a message and they said they'd invoice me in 24 hours, but it's been 48. Sent them another message and we'll see what's up. First screwup from them in years...

I see. However, it's sad if you are the only one here who bought it.

Did you get the PS4 or Vita Version?

Does anyone know if this game has pro features

Honestly, I don't even care if the game ends up being bad (as in, BAD, not mediocre) - The series holds a special place in my heart that's completely unrelated to the first duology's quality, but rather what it symbolized.

I picked up the first game for PS3 when I was on the verge of quitting gaming for good when Halo 4's complete awfulness drove me into rageselling my 360 and it's collection. I hated anime before for the most part, dismissing it as a childish timewaster. But for some reason, after playing Valkyria Chronicles for some reason, I made the biggest mistake of my life - I started watching anime I watched the anime adaptation of the game. And then I started watching anime for some reason. And before I knew it I was some fucking wreck of a weaboo.

Valkyria Chronicles was a fucking Gateway Drug.

Don't do drugs kids.

ROFL this is by far the funniest thing I've read all week. Halo 4 was sort of the major turning point of my gaming life. I had already stopped playing games that much but once I played tHalo 4 I lost a lot of interest in gaming.

Order got confirmed and is on the way for me. I'll post regular updates once I have it. Gonna be a lot more leery about ordering from amiami in the future.

Yes, it shall. Here's an extra info link.
http://gematsu.com/2016/12/valkyria-revolution-coming-west-ps4-xbox-one-ps-vita-q2-2017

Vita version is digital only though.

So, uh... is anyone playing this? Bueller?

People have been having trouble getting copies imported, soooo...

Linkura

A little bit. Don't care for it and haven't gotten that far. Should have waited for the bomba price.

Thanks!

I did notice some people saying they were having issues with shipping. Just please don't forget about us once you get the game! :)

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Top Bottom