• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with Dredge wasn't necessarily that it required something like Leyline of the Void but that it worked on an axis entirely different than any other deck and interacting with it via normal methods, like Removal or Discard, didn't slow the deck down enough. That isn't the case here. The problem here is that Mox Opal makes a Turn One kill possible, if incredibly unlikely, and that is understandably hard to interact with.
Banning Mox Opal would make T1 kills Impossible, but if you ban Mox then you might as well ban SSG, since both fall into the free mana subgroup that have escaped WotC's wrath

Yeef

Appetite for Brains would be perfect discard to answer of Emrakul-Marvel but not kill it.
There's very little difference between Appetite for Brains and Transgress the Mind. Being able to run 8 copies might have made a bit of a difference, but I doubt people would commit that much sideboard space to it.

not seeing the downside here tbh
Oh, I'm not saying it's a net negative, just that a lot of people don't want any more bans then they have to. I'm fine with both going(I hate SSG for allowing AD Naseum to get Red for Combo kills, as well as every other deck that uses it as a free red source)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The problem with Dredge wasn't necessarily that it required something like Leyline of the Void but that it worked on an axis entirely different than any other deck and interacting with it via normal methods, like Removal or Discard, didn't slow the deck down enough. That isn't the case here. The problem here is that Mox Opal makes a Turn One kill possible, if incredibly unlikely, and that is understandably hard to interact with.

So does Storm

Bandini

Sramsteel is definitely ridiculous. Watched a guy cruise to 5-0 on stream over the weekend. Turn 3 kills seem pretty routine, saw a T2 one as well. They gotta ban something, I'd personally prefer Opal so I can still play my dumb Nivmagus Elemental deck every once in a while.

Jhriad

Banning Mox Opal would make T1 kills Impossible, but if you ban Mox then you might as well ban SSG, since both fall into the free mana subgroup that have escaped WotC's wrath

Okay.

Oh, I'm not saying it's a net negative, just that a lot of people don't want any more bans then they have to.

I think if people want Modern to be a healthy, diverse format well into the future and they want it to adhere to the "Turn Four" rule they're going to have to get over their insistence that the ban list be incredibly small and/or repeatedly calling for something to be unbanned from the already relatively small list.

So does Storm

I was speaking to the deck not the mechanic. The deck folds to you removing their Puresteel/Sram from their hand or board and there are a plethora of ways to do that in the format. Storm is a dumb mechanic (there's a reason why it's the Storm Scale after all) but it requires a combination of free mana and draw effects to be broken and if you remove one of those two it's not really an issue. Things like Mox Opal and SSG are much more egregious problems for the format as a whole and probably need to be addressed more than Grapeshot does atm. That said, they'll probably skip Opal since so many people have invested in Robots and just ban Retract or Grapeshot if the deck becomes a problem.

Ozigizo

Turn 1/2 interaction makes it stumble pretty hard, yeah. On the other hand, it could conceivably kill you on Turn One so there's that. That requires a magic Christmas Land hand and essentially an ungodly series of draws off the draw effects. It's perfectly capable of a Turn 3/4 kill on a relatively consistent basis though. There are some easy, broadly applicable sideboard cards that hose the whole thing so atm I'm not really seeing the issue. If there is an issue with the deck it's not Grapeshot, it's Mox Opal.

Reminds me of the guy that made the bloom deck popular. Turned out he was cheating with the perfect hand set aside 🤣

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
"Herald of Anguish is bad because forcing your opponent to discard a card is a downside" is my favorite take from this season.

Angry Grimace

Okay.

I think if people want Modern to be a healthy, diverse format well into the future and they want it to adhere to the "Turn Four" rule they're going to have to get over their insistence that the ban list be incredibly small and/or repeatedly calling for something to be unbanned from the already relatively small list.

I was speaking to the deck not the mechanic. The deck folds to you removing their Puresteel/Sram from their hand or board and there are a plethora of ways to do that in the format. Storm is a dumb mechanic (there's a reason why it's the Storm Scale after all) but it requires a combination of free mana and draw effects to be broken and if you remove one of those two it's not really an issue. Things like Mox Opal and SSG are much more egregious problems for the format as a whole and probably need to be addressed more than Grapeshot does atm. That said, they'll probably skip Opal since so many people have invested in Robots and just ban Retract or Grapeshot if the deck becomes a problem.

I have no insight as to whether the deck is bannable. My issue is that they should have banned Grapeshot instead of all of the other random Storm cards that are banned.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Banning Grapeshot kills storm forever, banning Opal severely hurts Affinity and Lantern Control as well, which currently arent problems, unlike the three decks that the Probe ban hit. It depends on what you want, but know if you dont ban the storm cards eventually itll come back in some form like it did with Sram's printing.

Also Caleb played the deck on MTGO recently and he was storming his opponent to death thorugh multiple removal and hand disruption spells. Noxious Revival and Swan Song are good magic cards.

Lucario

Shitty budget deck time:

Bvv5OST.jpg

Testing in 1v1 queues is basically worthless, but I'm still happy with the deck's performance so far (8-3). Strongly recommend for FNM, it's hilarious. It wins with the Gonti's Aether Heart + Whirler Virtuoso interaction, both of which can be searched for with Aetherworks Marvel. Toss in a Panharmonicon or other energy generator, and it's infinite tokens and an extra turn to go along with it.

I should probably bring in the Saheeli combo too - would provide infinite mana with Panharmonicon + 2x Guardian, infinite energy with 2x Guardian + Decoction Module, etc.

The current version of the deck has terrible mana, scoops to counterspells and Torrential Gearhulks, and is generally pretty damn bad. If my opponents knew what the hell I was trying to do, my record would be much worse.

Still, Aetherworks Marvel into Gonti's Aether Heart has been consistently gross enough that I wouldn't be surprised if there's a competitive version of this deck waiting to be built.

y2dvd

Woot woot went 4-0 in Legacy with Infect last night, only dropping a game to Storm. Being able to T2 kill pretty consistently felt good but oh so bad at the same time, but it's legacy so I don't feel too guilty lol.

Still gotta figure out how to revise modern Infect with g-probe being banned.

Either I just played a gaffer on the beta or the all vehicles deck is catching on. It attacks from a weird angle but does get hit by a bunch of sideboard hate people prepare for other decks.
Got screwed game 3 sadly and royally crushed both postside games. Weirdly only won the presided game 1.
4 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
3 Plains
3 Swamp
4 Concealed Courtyard
4 Grim Flayer
4 Tireless Tracker
2 Sinister Concoction
4 Hope of Ghirapur
4 Renegade Rallier
1 Collective Brutality
4 Blooming Marsh
3 Glint-Sleeve Siphoner
4 Selfless Spirit
2 Fortified Village
3 Evolving Wilds
4 Grasp of Darkness
3 Forest
2 Catacomb Sifter
2 Shambling Vent

Sideboard
2 Walking Ballista
2 Transgress the Mind
1 Ruinous Path
2 Anguished Unmaking
2 Fragmentize
2 Fatal Push

Lucario

had to make some pretty major compromises to fit in the Saheeli combo, but holy shit, this is the best "jam as many combos into a deck as possible" experiment I've made in a while

The combos:
Whirler Virtuoso + Gonti's Aether Heart = make 1/1 fliers for 1 energy, and now nearly every card in deck generates at least 2. Add Panharmonicon or Decoction Module to make infinite 1/1s - Panharmonicon also gives infinite energy, guaranteeing you extra turn to smash face with.

2 Felidar Guardian + Decoction Module = infinite energy

2 Felidar Guardian + Panharmonicon = infinite mana

Felidar Guardian + Saheeli Rai = duh

Decoction Module + Whirler Virtuoso + pick 2 (Saheeli Rai, Decoction Module, Panharmonicon) = infinite 1/1s and likely infinite energy
The rest of the deck generates energy to fuel Virtuosos and Marvel. Still need a real sideboard and re-worked manabase, and I'm debating if there's still room in the deck for a few Glint-Nest Cranes, but man, this deck feels sweet.

Still awful against control tho.

Magic Story information later, but right now, an update on the general format. The Aether Revolt story ended today, but Amonkhet's story won't begin for about two months. In between, every week will have a new podcast interviewing the creative staff, sort of going back to the old Savor the Flavor format. The exception is Modern Masters spoiler week, which has a story.

I'd much prefer stories set on planes not currently receiving focus, but hopefully this means the remaining stories get more time and love.

So after BW revolt Junk Revolt now tried out GW revolt and am frickin loving it.

Eldrazi Displacer is sweet with Renegade Rallier and Deadeye Harpoonist. Hope of Ghirapur has consistently been the best activator.
Rallier is such a value card. I was messing around with in Modern and I had the following stupid combo happen:

I pass priority before combat, Opponent goes "Cryptic, tapping your dudes and Drawing a card"
I flash in Resto, Blink Rallier, Rallier buys back a snap who buys back a dispel.

Jhriad

So after BW revolt Junk Revolt now tried out GW revolt and am frickin loving it.

Eldrazi Displacer is sweet with Renegade Rallier and Deadeye Harpoonist. Hope of Ghirapur has consistently been the best activator.

If I had copies of Gideon I'd sleeve this up and I don't even play Standard. Looks like a fun deck.

Ashodin

okay I want to play the fuck out of this haha

Did you know Deadeye Harpoonist was on my list of cards to brew with in White from AER?

Magic Story - Renewal
* Weeks have passed and both Tezzeret and Baan have disappeared. The Consulate has acquiesced to Renegade demands, and Pia has become the new Consulate of (Aether) Allocation.
* There have been celebrations in the streets for two days.
* Dhund Prison has mostly been torn down, except a small area that holds the few remaining prisoners, including Baral.
* Pia and Chandra confront him. He wishes to be executed already, but they won't allow that. He's aghast that freaks like Chandra and other mages will be allowed to live freely, with the threat they pose to society.

* Later, it's Yahenni's Penultimate Party. They decided extending their life wasn't worth taking it from others. Chandra is well aware of how these parties go and treats it as the celebration it is, but everyone else in the Gatewatch is either solemn or awkward (Liliana).
* Ajani is implied to be lactose intolerant, since he can't eat yogurt.
* They talk to him about joining the Gatewatch, and he does.
* They talk about Bolas. Ajani thinks they should wait until they get more help and can make a plan. Everyone else thinks they waited long enough and should strike now. Tezzeret surely told him about them, and if they give him time, he'll have a counter to any plan they come up with. Chandra says they beat the Eldrazi so they can beat him, which definitely points to them losing badly. It doesn't help that Ajani admits he beat Bolas once, no matter how much he qualifies it. Ajani will still go off to gather help.
* Amonkhet is a plane created by Bolas, like how Karn created Mirrodin. Liliana could have created a plane before the Mending, but she didn't feel like it.

* Yahenni makes their grand entrance. They give away everything they have to various people there. They're disappointed by how morbid the Gatewatch minus Chandra are and try to liven them up.
* After having Chandra, Gideon, and Depala carry them around, Yahenni sits with Nissa. She is sad because they are the one of the few people in a long time she really connected with.
* They give her a necklace, and she tells them about the Multiverse, and how they are made of the same aether that exists between worlds. But eventually, they cut her off. It's time for them to go. She chooses not to watch.
* Yahenni is taken to the roof, surrounded by friends and family, and scatters into the wind.

* Later, Chandra and Pia go to repair the mural to Kiran.
* Chandra wishes to stay, but Pia insists that she can't be bound to one world. She's fine having a visiting daughter. They don't have enough glass to finish the mural, so Chandra promises to come back.
* Later, Nissa is meditating, and connects with the aether flowing through the world. Chandra joins her and attempts to do the same.
* In her visions, she witnesses the birth of a new aetherborn and is able to talk to it through the aether. The way it speaks reminds her of Yahenni, which points to reincarnation.
* Nissa breaks her trance, and sees that Chandra fell asleep when trying to meditate. Night falls as people continue celebrating in the streets.

Ashodin

This story had the best resolution of the blocks I feel.

Aftermath, and ties up a lot of loose ends. It wasn't the best first outing, but Kaladesh is definitely a plane I'd love to revisit and explore more of.

Pia has become the new Consulate of (Aether) Allocation.
Doesn't this sound a bit evil? Like she just took the job by force
* Dhund Prison has mostly been torn down, except a small area that holds the few remaining prisoners, including Baral.
and now they release everyone but political opponents? Sounds like a proper revolution, just not in the good sense.
* Ajani is implied to be lactose intolerant, since he can't eat yogurt.
He's a cat, and cats are lactose intolerant. Don't give them milk.
* Everyone else thinks they waited long enough and should strike now. Tezzeret surely told him about them, and if they give him time.
Tezzeret the schemer didn't particularly impress with any scheming. He had time and lost handedly at their hands already.[/QUOTE]

Do you enjoy having 16 Lands that break the rules of Magic, in a format where the best answers are Blood Moon/Ghost Quarter?

Do you enjoy one sided wraths cast on turn 4, that leave your opponents with literally nothing while you keep your 4/4s stapled to Thoughtsieze, alongside a bunch of other cards that broke Modern a year ago?

Do you enjoy getting to run the best Removal spell in Modern for effectively free thanks to Radiant Fountain negating the Phyrexian Mana?

Then Eldrazi
Bullshit
Tron is the deck for you! Watch as your opponents have to try and answer your Broken-ass Lands with the bare minimum of land hate, all while having their hands picked apart by your Thoughtknot Seers, Boards wiped by All is Dust, and Lands eaten by Ulamog the Ceaseless Hunger. Witness the deck that Wizards has created, because if there's one thing that Modern Needs, it's a deck that can barely be interacted with by any midrange decks that also has access to Dismember, Warping Wail, and can play a 4drop on turn 2 with nothing else on the board!

I really, really don't like this deck. When a deck running 4 GQ in the main, even going GQ T2 isn't good enough, because lol they've got all the mana they need.

Angry Grimace

They should go back to stories about the Gatewatch hanging around being do-gooders and drinking coffee or whatever. That one story they did was better than all of the Kaladesh BS.

Lucario

I am getting completely wrecked by an undefeated construct tribal deck. This is amazing.

EDIT:

Ruins of Oran-Rief to pump his team

Metallic Rebuke as an often 1-mana leak

A huge swarm of artifact creatures:

Merchant's Dock
Metallic Mimic (naming construct)
Scrapheap Scrounger
Walking Ballista
Chief of the Foundry
Foundry Inspector
Skysovereign

I want to copy the list now. That was sweet.

Ashodin

YES! I knew Construct Tribal was a thing.

I fucking totally forgot about Ruins of Oran-Rief, shit is NUTS in multiples with Walking Ballista + Metallic Mimic.

I posted a list similar to that earlier.

Though you should totally be running Metalwork Colossus. I'm even thinking about Scrap Trawler too.

Holy shit Walking Ballista ETBs on turn 3 with 3 counters for 2 mana hahahahha

Angry Grimace

I think I got more pleasure out of killing a Cat Combo player with a Renegade Map with Tezzeret's Touch on it than I should have.

Predictions:

Copycat will be very popular, but only get maybe two top 8 spots.

There will be several spicy decks(Think Season's Past) that will show up, do well, and then vanish

Some planesWalker will get to do an Ult. The Controller of Said PlanesWalker will then go on to lose the match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom