• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tunoku

Careful, Cascade sets some people here off haha

It is kind of a cheap mechanic haha

Oh yeah, Cascade is a huge mistake. But for a new player it was the coolest thing. I can't believe how they still keep trying with cost reduction mechanics/free spells.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Oh yeah, Cascade is a huge mistake. But for a new player it was the coolest thing. I can't believe how they still keep trying with cost reduction mechanics/free spells.

Because while people complain about cheating things into play, they also love it.

OnPoint

Because while people complain about cheating things into play, they also love it.

Who doesn't love it! It's fun to do. The real problem comes when the things you cheat in are unanswerable or overly powerful and/or when there are no answers. It's all about checks and balances.

Who doesn't love it! It's fun to do. The real problem comes when the things you cheat in are unanswerable or overly powerful and/or when there are no answers. It's all about checks and balances.
Yup.

Coco cheating in a Finks and a bird-Cool
CoCo cheating in 2 Reflector Mages when the best removal is fight? Not so cool

Tunoku

He actually runs Brain in a Jar as well, he can board out some of the Experises in matchups with less targets. Anyway, it doesn't matter, the deck is trash but it was fun to root for Caleb.

Violet_0

Banned
who said that Fatal Push isn't that good in Standard? Because between Mardu vehicles and snek, there's a shit ton of pushes flying around

Bandini

Got some pieces for Eldrazi Tron and played for a bit last night even though I still need some cards. Walking Ballista + Basilisk Collar is a nasty little combo.

this is easier than expected. Still gotta cut out the detail and decide just what to keep but I really thought this would be a mess. I bought 4 of these just to experiment.
YSWPW8c.jpg
Edit:Done and quote happy with. It does not completely fit but it's the best I can do in my current position.
decided to keep the costs as I found the lack of it jarring. Tried to make the spear seamless with the border but I ended up a bit off.

An-Det

Tunoku

Cool to see Sunday PTQs at GPs.
Nationals could be great, but they still give me a WMCQ vibe since you're only competing to get into the finals. Bummer that it's not mixed formats, would give it more of a PT vibe with a draft thrown in there.

Glix

Finance GAF, what's the best way to sell mid to high end cards? I've been trading up and selling my bulk at GPs for a while, and ended up with a decent stack of cards I'd like to sell.

1. 3x FoW (Alliances)
  2. 1x Volcanic Island
  3. 1x Tropical Island
  4. 1x Savannah
  5. 1x Badlands
  6. 1x Deathrite Shaman (RTR Foil, signed by Steve Argyle)
The lands are all revised, LP condition except for two. I made a TCGplayer cart with the appropriate conditions and the total was $804. Obviously I'm not going to get that much, but what's the best way to not leave money on the table? I already have some TCGPlayer experience and wouldn't mind selling on there. Ebay is a bit iffy for the more expensive stuff.

I know the Deathrite Shaman will be a hard sell, so I'll probably shop that around locally. The Badlands is HP condition. Am I better off trading that for Conspiracy/EMA cards and then selling that instead?

I'm in New York and I found a shop in Brooklyn with a buylist.

I contacted them in advance with my list

Went to the store where they checked the condition, and took a few bucks off the offer for a few of the cards due to condition.

Walked out with a check for over a grand.

Was lots of fetches from before the reprint, and a bunch of modern staples and a foil Mox Opal.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Here's the list I'm bringing to Game Day.

Deck: UBW Improvise
u.gif
b.gif

//Lands
4 Aether Hub
2 Concealed Courtyard
4 Island
1 Plains
4 Spire of Industry
6 Swamp

//Artifacts
1 Aethersphere Harvester
4 Cogworker's Puzzleknot
4 Servo Schematic
4 Renegade Map

//Instant
4 Fatal Push
4 Metallic Rebuke

//Sorcery
1 Reverse Engineer
1 Baral's Expertise

//Planeswalker
4 Tezzeret the Schemer

//Enchantment
4 Tezzeret's Touch

//Creatures
4 Herald of Anguish
4 Ornithopter

//Sideboard
3 Authority of the Consuls
4 Bastion Inventor
1 Declaration in Stone
2 Dispel
1 Fumigate
2 Negate
2 Reverse Engineer

Display deck statistics

Happy to hear your thoughts on it, although I've been playing it a while and have found it has at the least a reasonable matchup against most of the Tier 1 stuff (although its certainly not a Tier 1 deck by any means), so I'm not too worried about getting totally blown out by some strategy.

Tunoku

I would love to see some amount of Key to the City in your deck, you can use it to improvise while still drawing cards on the next turn. And having an unblockable 4/4 Hexproof seems sweet against control as well.

Wulfric

Ooh, I hope that includes GP Orlando. I might have to get a later flight on Sunday if SCG adds a PTQ to the schedule. Standard only, right? Or is that for Nationals?

I'm in New York and I found a shop in Brooklyn with a buylist. I contacted them in advance with my list. Went to the store where they checked the condition, and took a few bucks off the offer for a few of the cards due to condition. Walked out with a check for over a grand.

Was lots of fetches from before the reprint, and a bunch of modern staples and a foil Mox Opal.

Sweet, my not so local LGS goes to every GP, so they might have decent buy prices. Not one's biting locally for the duals unfortunately, lol. But that's legacy for ya. They cost a lot, but no one wants 'em.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I would love to see some amount of Key to the City in your deck, you can use it to improvise while still drawing cards on the next turn. And having an unblockable 4/4 Hexproof seems sweet against control as well.

I did not like that when I tried it. It made the deck too slow because you have to pay to get the card out of the Key. I ended up replacing it (and Bastion Inventor as a main board card) with Touch of Tezzeret, which has really overperformed my expectations. The comparison to Ensoul Artifact gives it a bad rap - the plethora of targets means it's almost always just a 5/5 haste. When Ensoul was in standard it didn't see as much play as you'd imagine because there weren't as many great targets.

Tunoku

I can see where you're coming from. I have no idea how good the deck actually is having not played it at all. How's Tezzeret been for you? And how do you feel against Vehicles?
Anyway, slapping Ensoul on a Darksteel Citadel was my favorite thing to do when I got back into the game with Magic Origins.

Angry Grimace

I can see where you're coming from. I have no idea how good the deck actually is having not played it at all. How's Tezzeret been for you? And how do you feel against Vehicles?
Anyway, slapping Ensoul on a Darksteel Citadel was my favorite thing to do when I got back into the game with Magic Origins.

Against Vehicles 4 Fatal Push plus the 4 Metallic Rebuke in the mainboard makes the matchup better than I'd have otherwise thought. It's an aggressive deck, but Vehicles isn't anywhere near as aggressive as some of the Mono-Red decks we've seen in recent years. Playing a Vehicle develops a board state a lot slower than playing dudes of equivalent power and toughness.

I think the Vehicles deck is fine, but I also think its success at the PT was part of the Pro Tour meta-gaming that I've mentioned before - it was a good deck in that specific tournament (due to the anticipated field), but I don't expect it to dominate in any real way and wouldn't be surprised at all if it dropped off considerably in the next couple weeks.

Tunoku

I don't dislike that the deck exists, it's the best tool to keep the Saheeli combo in check, but I wish there were other viable aggressive strategies.

bigkrev

I don't like that they killed a big Modern tournament for another fucking Standard event. Looking at the calendar, there are 5 weekends this year where you can play high level Modern (9 Modern GPs with 4 double GP weekends), and 2 Team Unified Modern events.

By comparison, there are still 2 Legacy GPs plus the Legacy Championship you can go to if you are a Legacy player. 5 weekends vs 3 weekends!

Angry Grimace

I don't dislike that the deck exists, it's the best tool to keep the Saheeli combo in check, but I wish there were other viable aggressive strategies.

The problem with the combo isn't that its simply too good to exist in a Constructed environment, its that it actively leads to a poor gameplay experience and warps the entire metagame around it. The combo's existence will continue to warp the meta around it until goes away, even if its not the best deck at any given time.

I don't like that they killed a big Modern tournament for another fucking Standard event. Looking at the calendar, there are 5 weekends this year where you can play high level Modern (9 Modern GPs with 4 double GP weekends), and 2 Team Unified Modern events.

By comparison, there are still 2 Legacy GPs plus the Legacy Championship you can go to if you are a Legacy player. 5 weekends vs 3 weekends!

Pushing Standard is fine, but I think they're making some highly questionable timing decisions. You need to make sure Standard is in a good, healthy place before you start scaling back other events in favor of that format.

Modern is fun to play with, but I kind of agree with the pros that I think its almost always worse than Standard and Limited. It's fun to do nutty shit, but its probably literally impossible to craft a format with that many sets in it and have it be anything close to reasonably balanced.

Pushing Standard is fine, but I think they're making some highly questionable timing decisions. You need to make sure Standard is in a good, healthy place before you start scaling back other events in favor of that format.

Modern is fun to play with, but I kind of agree with the pros that I think its almost always worse than Standard and Limited. It's fun to do nutty shit, but its probably literally impossible to craft a format with that many sets in it and have it be anything close to reasonably balanced.

Yeah, them pushing Standard when Standard hasn't been super-healthy is all kinds of wierd.

I do think you could make Modern reasonably balanced, though the way to do so is to nuke 8th/9th Edition from the format,as well as Fast Mana/Grapeshot while giving Valakut an errata to Legendary. Won't ever happen, but I wish.

Seems like they're desperate to push people back into Standard, but maybe I'm just misreading this.
Every action made by Wizards in the last 3-6 months has screamed "Please play Standard". We've had bans, Promotions, Standard exclusive events, changes to rotation, etc.

And none of this has worked really, because R&D just learned that the pendulum had swung too far.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
The problem with the combo isn't that its simply too good to exist in a Constructed environment, its that it actively leads to a poor gameplay experience and warps the entire metagame around it. The combo's existence will continue to warp the meta around it until goes away, even if its not the best deck at any given time.

It is reasonable balanced. Same with Legacy. Standard has had way worse balance lately relatively speaking.

Jhriad

Seems like they're desperate to push people back into Standard, but maybe I'm just misreading this.

Every action made by Wizards in the last 3-6 months has screamed "Please play Standard". We've had bans, Promotions, Standard exclusive events, changes to rotation, etc.

That's likely one of a number of reasons for the switch. I'd be surprised if there wasn't some discussion internally at WOTC about whether or not the slackening Standard FNM attendance is in part due to the surge in popularity of Modern over the past few years. Pulling back on official promotion of the format in favor of the cash cow format seems like a logical, if shitty decision.

Tunoku

I should have posted the link here (sorry), but Reid Duke just streamed some AER drafts on twitch for a couple of hours. Was a really chill stream, it seems like Team Pantheon wants to stream regularly now and turn their team into something. I wonder what that means for their relationship with CFB, but I guess they're mostly being sponsored by D3 now and still write articles for CFB.

The VOD should be here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/120882191

EDIT: Shoving Standard down people's throats can only get you so far when the format has been as shitty as it is right now. I really hope that Amonkhet shakes things up with a new gold block. At this point, I think doing a 180 on Standard rotation was a mistake for the health of the format. It's not as big of a deal when the format is fun, but in this case I prefer faster roations over bans every 6 months. Obviously we don't know if it's gonna come to that, but it's a possibility.

Angry Grimace

They are never going to push people into Modern because they're trying to dull the perception that its a pay to win game and $2000 decks is never gonna get there. Sure, you could address their reprint policy as the cause of that.

Tunoku

Modern is probably the most popular format at my tiny LGS. There is a tournament every other week with stuff like expedition fetches for the winner. I want to get more into modern as well, but I only have cards for a burn deck, which I'm probably selling before Goblin Guide gets reprinted in MM17. Hoping for a Snapcaster reprint at rare next month, but don't know if I'll be able to grab a playset since the Switch is coming out as well.

I've only been playing Magic for a year, so my opinion might be a little ignorant, but I don't see the appeal of Modern. Expensive cards, stale decks, & combos that win too fast make it less than fun for me.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
I've only been playing Magic for a year, so my opinion might be a little ignorant, but I don't see the appeal of Modern. Expensive cards, stale decks, & combos that win too fast make it less than fun for me.

I think Modern is a much more interesting casual format than competitive format.

Expensive cards are expensive because Wizards refuses to reprint 90% of Modern cards at a decent size. If Lilianna of the Veil had been in M15, she'd not be $80+. If Cavern of Souls hadn't been only printed once, It would not be $80+. The cards are expensive because Wizards refuses to reprint in a decent capacity.

Stale Decks? What are you on about? Since BFZ Block we've had Eldrazi pop up as an entire deck Tron revise 90% of their threat suite, Jeskai Nahiri and Dredge rise and fall, etc. This is on top of Twin being banned, Abzan Company finally becoming a thing, Death's Shadow/KFC being decks, etc. Modern has some stagnant decks, but even those have Changed(Jund adopting Kalitas/Collective Brutality, Abzan adopting Grim Flayer)

Also, no deck in Modern outside of Infect, Cheerios, Affinity and Burn can reliably win before turn 4, whereas Mardu Vehicles/Snek Attack has you mostly out of it, but even those aggro decks lose hard against Interaction.

Violet_0

Banned
btw, do I assume correctly that the main reason Eldrazi have no presence in standard (despite the modern deck consisting mostly of standard-legal cards) is the lack of Urza lands?

Santiako

btw, do I assume correctly that the main reason Eldrazi have no presence in standard (despite the modern deck consisting mostly of standard-legal cards) is the lack of Urza lands?

No, right now it's the lack of pain lands or decent colorless lands (Eldrazi only plays urza lands in a bad version of the modern deck).

Eldrazi Tron is not a bad deck.
It's a deck that is hell to play against because what other deck in Modern gets to run 16 Sol lands? Like, it's not bad, but it feels so bad to play against because Oops I have 9 Mana on Turn 4, time to cast Thought-Knot Seer+Reality Smasher I've played Hatebears against it, and even with 4 GQ and Arbiter it is never enough.

OnPoint

I'm always happy when some variant of Tron is playable. It's easily my favorite Modern archetype. However I'm also always worried they'll take it too far with the next set and the lands will get banned.

bigkrev

It's a deck that is hell to play against because what other deck in Modern gets to run 16 Sol lands? Like, it's not bad, but it feels so bad to play against because Oops I have 9 Mana on Turn 4, time to cast Thought-Knot Seer+Reality Smasher I've played Hatebears against it, and even with 4 GQ and Arbiter it is never enough.

Let me tell you about turning all their Ancient Tombs into White Boardered Mountains
Image.ashx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom