• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

I went 1-2 then I just went home because I was really mad.

First game was against a player who's not really good, so the match was decent.

Second game was against I guy I play ALL the time, he was on GW Tokens and I took a game from him.

Third game I got blasted out by UG Energy and I just had enough. Not drawing the answers I wanted on time, opening myself to attacks... I felt like I was so underprepared.

Tunoku

I got my second loss from RG energy aggro yesterday. It's by far my most host hated deck in the format. Not talking about the Pummeler version, but the Voltaic Brawler/Lathnu Hellion deck. I don't think I've ever won a match against the damn pile, they always seem to have the nut draw with Blossoming Defense to back it up. /salt

y2dvd

Gonna try game day again today. Went up to 4 shocks instead of 2 mb, and I'm gonna add Dragonmaster Outcast to the sb for the control mirror.

That fever emerge deck is spicy!

Tunoku

My favorite use of Siphoner was in the control mirror from yesterday. The Grixis player boarded it in and it was incredible in that spot.

Tunoku

Deep-Fiend is definitely the card of the weekend. I expected it to be a big deal at the Pro Tour, but I guess I was a little early with my prediction.

Tunoku

Final match was awesome, especially the last game. Highly recommend watching it. Bummer that the top 8 was so boring. At least 4 color Saheeli did OK(4-5 copies in the top 32), so I can keep playing that sweet mess of a deck.

ultron87

"plus twenty-five premium full-art basic lands (five of each) from Amonkhet"

I hope the "from Amonket" line means that there will also just be normal full arts in the set. Each store having 25 foil lands and those being the only ones there are will make those quite tough to get.

Fuuuuuck...

Looking at the Top8, and I'm realising how much of the deck I built in XMage that I was gonna buy is in there...

Pricing's gonna go through the roof.

Also, *Everyone* is putting Fatal push in their decks!
Way too God-damned powerful for 1 Mana cost, it needs to go the way of Emrakul!

Supast4r

Fuuuuuck...

Looking at the Top8, and I'm realising how much of the deck I built in XMage that I was gonna buy is in there...

Pricing's gonna go through the roof.

Also, *Everyone* is putting Fatal push in their decks!
Way too God-damned powerful for 1 Mana cost, it needs to go the way of Emrakul!

A removal option needs to be banned.... You can't be serious.

Nevermind. Had another look at some equivalents in modern... didn't realise that 1 mana removal spells seem to be normal for Black.

*Eats his crow with chips and ketchup*

Santiako

Nevermind. Had another look at some equivalents in modern... didn't realise that 1 mana removal spells seem to be normal for Black.

*Eats his crow with chips and ketchup*

They were normal for red (Bolt) and white (Path) in Modern. Giving Push to black was a much needed thing, the only 1 mana removal they had was Dismember and it costed 4 life. Push is just a really good removal spell in standard. We need more of those, not less.

They were normal for red (Bolt) and white (Path) in Modern. Giving Push to black was a much needed thing, the only 1 mana removal they had was Dismember and it costed 4 life. Push is just a really good removal spell in standard. We need more of those, not less.

Right. If anything, it's quite important to keeping aggro at least somewhat in check in current Standard (Yes, I know most aggro decks run it too and it helps them as well).

OnPoint

There are other 1 CMC removal spells in black, just none as good as Push.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Fatal Push isn't even sort of OP in standard because the number of targets it has are pretty limited unless you actively play effects to enable the Revolt trigger.

OnPoint

Yeah, I know, but the better one (Disfigure) was basically unplayable in Modern. Innocent Blood and Ghastly Demise were really good way back when.

Darkblast sees play. Dismember almost counts. Innocent Blood is not Modern legal, and I feel like it would be great if it were.

Santiako

Darkblast sees play. Dismember almost counts. Innocent Blood is not Modern legal, and I feel like it would be great if it were.

I mentioned Dismember on my previous post and forgot about Darkblast, which I love. Innocent Blood was my jam back in the day, so so good in monoblack control.

Innocent Blood would have been great, but no, we can't possibly allow for cards to become Modern Legal unless they go through Standard.

(Cries for Counterspell)

Wulfric

Some WPN infos about Amonkhet: http://wpn.wizards.com/en/article/whats-new-amonkhet

[*]full-art basic lands as part of a promotion called "Magic Open House"

Sign up for this event in Wizards Event Reporter and receive twenty Welcome Decks, plus twenty-five premium full-art basic lands (five of each) from Amonkhet

Hmm yeah, I'm gonna need Egyptian foil lands k thx...

I wonder if full arts are a consolation prize for pushing ZEN fetches into the fall. Printing them in spring set alongside BFZ tangos was just asking for trouble.

OnPoint

Just play Deprive

Deprive%2B%255BROE%255D.jpg

Get that Aether Hub combo going baby.

You'll take your logic knot and you'll like it. Honestly though no counterspell in modern is for the better.

Oh don't get me wrong, Logic Knot is great, but against The graveyard is already used quite a lot for me (Tasigur, Snapcaster, and Logic Knot means I can't really go above 2 Knots in Delver). Mana leak becomes dead in the Late game when there's ample land, and most other options are meh. I'd even settle for Revolt Counterspell.
Just play Deprive

Deprive%2B%255BROE%255D.jpg

Get that Aether Hub combo going baby.

Deprive would be great if the deck wasn't fetches, Shocks, one fast land and 4 basics.

I could just bounce the basics though...

imissgitaxianprobe.dec

sdfsdf9sqwu.png

Should probably drop the vault and play another Brutality or a Lightning Helix or something. I don't think the Fulminators are that hot without the surgical extraction wombo combo against Tron, but I'm not sure how to move around my board right now.

duxstar

Maybe I'm missing it so I'll ask you guys..... when you look at the last few months of standard and how the meta games have shaken out, especially this one; Do you have any desire to play standard ? I look at pro tour after pro tour and just go "these are not decks I want to play, either with or against".

The last time I liked Standard was when Abzan with Siege Rhinos and Courser of Kruphix were around.

It all fell apart for me when 4 and 5 color decks became the norm and hasn't been the same since.

Bandini

Maybe I'm missing it so I'll ask you guys..... when you look at the last few months of standard and how the meta games have shaken out, especially this one; Do you have any desire to play standard ?

No, not really. Even if wasn't the least fun format, it's way too expensive considering the decks change every 2 months. Even though I don't get to play my paper Modern deck too much, I don't have to worry about finding trade partners to constantly avoid getting hosed.

I built Eldrazi Taxes and Eldrazi Tron on MTGO over the last few weeks. Between those, Vintage Cube when it rolls around, and the occasional EDH battle / draft with friends, I'm all set.

Tunoku

Maybe I'm missing it so I'll ask you guys..... when you look at the last few months of standard and how the meta games have shaken out, especially this one; Do you have any desire to play standard ? I look at pro tour after pro tour and just go "these are not decks I want to play, either with or against".

The last time I liked Standard was when Abzan with Siege Rhinos and Courser of Kruphix were around.

It all fell apart for me when 4 and 5 color decks became the norm and hasn't been the same since.

I got back into the game 18 months ago and started playing Standard around a year ago, so I still don't feel burned out yet. Also, a bunch of my Magic playing friends are into Standard and that sort of pushes me towards the format as well. On paper the meta game might look stale right now, but the matchups can be fun to play and I always manage to find my kind of deck. Having said that, I can't wait for Amonkhet and really hope that the talk about a gold color block is true. Having powerful staples be in specific color combinations might shake up the format a bunch, we'll see. Maybe GB Snake is just gonna turn into Jund Cobra.

Supast4r

Oh don't get me wrong, Logic Knot is great, but against The graveyard is already used quite a lot for me (Tasigur, Snapcaster, and Logic Knot means I can't really go above 2 Knots in Delver). Mana leak becomes dead in the Late game when there's ample land, and most other options are meh. I'd even settle for Revolt Counterspell.

Deprive would be great if the deck wasn't fetches, Shocks, one fast land and 4 basics.

I could just bounce the basics though...
No, you target the fetchland then you crack it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom