• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What on earth is going on with my Gears of War 4 update on Win 10?

Gowans

It started by staying it was 101gb now this....?

xOsFx0c.png

Skynet is migrating to your PC.

No this is very odd, I have no idea what is going on there. A restart would be best, I wonder what happened for it to show such a large size?

EDIT: If it really is that large and not a visual bug as mentioned below.

PhaZZe

Banned
16k textures for multiplayer weapons....
i really dont know, is for thinks like this i cant trust win store

Gowans

I hit pause and restarted

Now it looks like I'm starting again.... anyone any tips?
Delete Gears and redownload?

SURGEdude

It's a fucking NIGHTMARE. Yet another Windows Store bed shitting. Who the fuck is running the Win Store? They need to be placed in another position whoever they are. They've failed so completely it's case study worthy. There has been fundamental issues since Win 8 store. That was years ago.

And before the shills come in, I'd beg anybody to check out ANY WinStore or cross buy thread. They're chock full of enthusiasts who can't figure out what the fuck is going on. Only the once in a blue moon ports like Batman can match their issues.Fun thing is that you can't even play single player once it knows there an "update".

The irony on top of all this is that it's one of the best ports I've seen in the last year. And top of the line for a dev that isn't PC focused.

And yes I do own it, my gamertag is posted if anybody thinks I'm just trolling.

Gowans

Looks like there is a insider update to Windows that I'm going to apply but can see me deleting and reinstalling.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
It's a fucking NIGHTMARE. Yet another Windows Store bed shitting. Who the fuck is running the Win Store? They need to be placed in another position whoever they are. They've failed so completely it's case study worthy. There has been fundamental issues since Win 8 store. That was years ago.

And before the shills come in, I'd beg anybody to check out ANY WinStore or cross buy thread. They're chock full of enthusiasts who can't figure out what the fuck is going on. Only the once in a blue moon ports like Batman can match their issues.Fun thing is that you can't even play single player once it knows there an "update".

The irony on top of all this is that it's one of the best ports I've seen in the last year. And top of the line for a dev that isn't PC focused.

And yes I do own it, my gamertag is posted if anybody thinks I'm just trolling.

Never had any issues with the store tbh
And i love it for the play anywhere function.
2 copies of one game is amazing.

Sad to see some guys are having such isues tho.

Defenders of this shit store will be appearing soon, they can smell threads like this like sharks do blood. Then you will find out they have never had any problems and it's your own fault and you are probably a Steam fan boy.

Gowans

And i love it for the play anywhere function.
2 copies if one game is amazing.

Sad to see some guys are having such issues tho.

I'm the same, this is my first issue, its a crazy one to have tho, PC has been on for a while.

I wonder what it is and if it's leaving temp files all over my drive?

sibarraz

Banned
I can't grasp how a big corporation, with an important brand that is used in a big percentage of PC's in the world could have such a pathetic digital store

I really want to root for the windows store, since his play anywhere initiative is amazing and worthy of all the praise, but when things like this happen you can't really spin it in a positive way

Spukc

I'm the same, this is my first issue, its a crazy one to have tho, PC has been on for a while.

I wonder what it is and if it's leaving temp files all over my drive?
I also own the game i will check in a moment
I have it installed in a 512GB ssd.

I really hope this is not an issue for everyone

shiyrley

Banned
Defenders of this shit store will be appearing soon, they can smell threads like this like sharks do blood. Then you will find out they have never had any problems and it's your own fault and you are probably a Steam fan boy.
When it was heavily rumoured that the Windows Store version of CoD: Infinity Warfare would not be crossplay with the Steam version, there was this one guy who claimed that was impossible, that the game would FOR SURE have crossplay, that it would be stupid not to. He was 100% certain that the game just HAD to have crossplay. Then it was confirmed that it didn't. The screenshot showing that there were like 4 people online appeared. Even Microsoft started refunding people because there was no one playing. And that one guy who claimed the game WOULD FOR SURE HAVE CROSSPLAY BECAUSE IT WOULD BE STUPID OTHERWISE just vanished from the thread if I remember correctly lol. I may be wrong, but I don't remember him in the thread after that
EDIT:
He did eat crow. See below.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
This is a bug....right?

While unintentional, it's more like a feature at this point as the wheels have been falling off for over a year now. Microsoft has been plodding along with small improvements to UWP but completely neglecting the store itself.

When it was heavily rumoured that the Windows Store version of CoD: Infinity Warfare would not be crossplay with the Steam version, there was this one guy who claimed that was impossible, that the game would FOR SURE have crossplay, that it would be stupid not to. He was 100% certain that the game just HAD to have crossplay. Then it was confirmed that it didn't. The screenshot showing that there were like 4 people online appeared. Even Microsoft started refunding people because there was no one playing. And that one guy who claimed the game WOULD FOR SURE HAVE CROSSPLAY BECAUSE IT WOULD BE STUPID OTHERWISE just vanished from the thread if I remember correctly lol. I may be wrong, but I don't remember him in the thread after that

That would be mcrommert, but to his credit, he acknowledged he was wrong:

Okay I was seriously wrong...all I can ask is why? Why bother if no crossplay? Why was this not announced before....why bother at all?

EDIT: Well i guess its time
aQD3c9o.jpg

Rellik

"I never had a problem. It's been perfect for me. You're just overreacting"

Bluth54

Bu...but Steam wasn't that good when it first came out.

shiyrley

Banned
While unintentional, it's more like a feature at this point as the wheels have been falling off for over a year now. Microsoft has been plodding along with small improvements to UWP but completely neglecting the store itself.

That would be mcrommert, but to his credit, he acknowledged he was wrong:
Fuck, okay, let me edit my post, thanks

JBwB

I recall not being able to update Gears of War 4 as I would get an error every time it tried to install after downloading it. The same thing happened to all the other Windows store apps.

Thankfully I was able to play the game without that damn 10gb update and uninstalled it immediately after completing the campaign.

Saying the Windows store sucks is a vast understatement.

Spukc

i just booted up gears 4
single player works and online works.

checked my ssd nothing has really changed.
def not 250GB gamedata on it.

I do live in europe. Maybe we get the update later?
But right now nothing is wrong on my side.

Hasney

I recall not being able to update Gears of War 4 as I would get an error every time it tried to install after downloading it. The same thing happened to all the other Windows store apps.

Thankfully I was able to play the game without that damn 10gb update and uninstalled it immediately after completing the campaign.

Saying the Windows store sucks is a vast understatement.

Had the same with the initial install of Forza Horizon 3. Ended up having to reformat as all the refresh options, including full reset and even redownloading the W10 image and installing that via the command prompt wouldn't do it.

SURGEdude

This is a bug....right?

It's a bug they never seem to fix. It happens less than it did 2 years ago though, so yay?. A little bit less.

Windows Store feels like a SAW challenge. The moment you try and get it working you're deep in the weeds, forcing downloads through scripts and then verifying them and praying they pass. Getting any sizable game to run and properly update, especially on a non-boot drive, feels like punishment. I've dealt with this on 4 freshly wiped PCs. I grew up dealing with 16-bit Windows fuckery, and this is worse.

Even fresh, stock with certified non-beta drivers or anything non-stock wouldn't pass whatever blood ritual the store needs to authenticate the integrity to bless us with the games we've purchased.

I know it's interpreted as anti-MS to call them out for this shit. But what the fuck? Do they expect people are gonna want to migrate to their abortion of a store from either win32 or some tablet OS? I know it's conspiracy to suggest this fuckery with large apps, which at this size are mostly games, is meant to push people to an Xbox One, but it sure feels like they're fixing issues at a glacial pace.

The same shit we had in Windows 8's store are happening. Oh, and the error messages and their references are so empty and useless they might as well skip the code, and not make us waste our time to look it up. A simple "fuck you, good luck" would pass along the same message without anybody having to waste their time researching or providing a competent product.

prudislav

And i love it for the play anywhere function
thats pretty much the one and only great thing of UWP/WinStore from customer side of view ..... but still its only great for the Xbox gamers ... for PC gamers its mostly useless and just another useless login to another client (Xlive)

Lazaro

I had to download a 75GB update for the Xbox version. I'm guessing there is something seriously wrong with how Gears 4 manages itself or the Windows Store update mechanism is just fucked in general for 20GB+ games.

Spukc

thats pretty much the one and only great thing of UWP/WinStore from customer side of view ..... but still its only great for the Xbox gamers ... for PC gamers its mostly useless and just another useless login to another client (Xlive)
Hmm well pc gamers that don't own a xbox one can chat with console owners?
but yeah it really is better when you own both pc and xbox one.
They even have savegame sharing!
And streaming console exclusive games to pc.

SURGEdude

I hit pause and restarted

Now it looks like I'm starting again.... anyone any tips?
Delete Gears and redownload?

NEVER pause a large WinStore download unless you don't mind re-downloading the whole thing. In my experience it picks up where it left off about 50% of the time at best.

Oh and here's a fun kicker; if the app got an update mid download, no matter how small the update, you get to start over again. From zero.

The fact that a huge number of people have issues downloading large files/games off of MS's store, on MS's newest OS is fucking shameful. If I was in charge of overseeing this as department head I'd be fucking horrified and embarrassed.

Top Bottom