• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bandini

Been thinking about trading out of Eldrazi Tron and finally decided to pull the trigger this morning, and Chalices dropped 5 tickets since I looked last night. What the fudge, man

Santiako

1 in every 4 Amonkhet boosters. GORGEOUS

zIQFZRfkpk.png
y73DnfLvg1.png

yZMsrTFNGw.png
vOPX0NAQaR.png
yRrRHOvvuK.png

Pictures of (I assume) the Gods:

jetgp0BFy4.jpg
Oo1MKBnHQA.jpg
zqjMMYE4nC.jpg
id1a1QUl9s.jpg
gI2p1IAKNa.jpg

Oh man, so full-art lands are back but rarer than regular ones. I sure hope they've finally given in and realized they should do it this way for every set like (big breath) I've been saying they should do for years and years since the original Zendikar.

bigkrev

Oh boy if Domri Rade is a "featured" mythic in this set we might need to adjust our projections.

10 Mythic Slots to the 10 RTR Guild Leaders and 10 Rare slots to the DGM Legends?

Maledict

Something I don't understand about the gods. All of them apart from the crocodile god have a golden, stylised ultra smooth animal head. However, the crocodile god has an actual animal head instead, that's very clearly not made of gold.

Art oversight, or maybe something relevant to the story?

Oh boy if Domri Rade is a "featured" mythic in this set we might need to adjust our projections.

I mean, the cards on Eternal Masters boosters added up to about five bucks, I don't think we should be drawing really sweeping conclusions about the overall value of the set from what they put on there.

jph139

Yeah gods are gorgeous. I assume Bast/Cat = White, Ibis/Thoth = Blue, Seth/Crocodile = Black, Anubis/Jackal = Red, and Wadjet/Snake = Green. At least core colors, I'm still on the "shard block" train.

Also excited that it's a -1/-1 block! Those are always favorites of mine.

Santiako

Yeah gods are gorgeous. I assume Bast/Cat = White, Ibis/Thoth = Blue, Seth/Crocodile = Black, Anubis/Jackal = Red, and Wadjet/Snake = Green. At least core colors, I'm still on the "shard block" train.

Also excited that it's a -1/-1 block! Those are always favorites of mine.

Anubis was the god of death and Seth the god of violence and stuff so I'd swap those two around.

Adaren

Liliana's priorities: Being fabulous > Demons > Bolas

As long as we're stuck with the Gatewatch, I hope they keep making an effort to have the main 5 "roleplay" the plane that they're visiting. On Innistrad we had Detective Jace, and now we have Liliana as Queen of the Nile and Gideon with a desert-appropriate variation on his normal armor. It's fun when the Gatewatch takes on some aspects of the plane they're visiting; it helps integrate the plane and the protagonists so that both can be developed.

Tunoku

Maybe they'll look nicer in person, but I kinda don't care about that full-art cycle that much. My favorite one is the one by Meignaud and even those have been replaced with Rebecca Guayy basics for me. Regardless, I really hope this is a permament addition and a thing for each block.

The other art looks cool, the Gods especially so.

That Snapcaster art doesn't look half bad.

I'm excited about -1/-1 counters. Especially the way they will interacts with Winding Constrictor could lead to some funny games.

Jhriad

I mean, the cards on Eternal Masters boosters added up to about five bucks, I don't think we should be drawing really sweeping conclusions about the overall value of the set from what they put on there.

Even if we forget about what the box art for Eternal Masters was, all three cards were at least relevant to the formats the set was catering to. Two of the three are played in Legacy and the third is an iconic card that is incredibly popular in Commander. BBE also features one of the mechanics set to return in the set, Cascade. Let's look at all the Masters sets for a second:

MM1 had City of Brass (box), Sword of Fire and Ice, Vedalken Shackles, and Dark Confidant.

MM2 had Etched Champion (box), Noble Hierarch, Karn Liberated, and Vendilion Clique.

Eternal Masters had Force of Will (box), Goblin Charbelcher, Deathrite Shaman, and Bloodbraid Elf.

Assuming the box art is Snapcaster Mage, probably a safe assumption, that means MM3 has Snap, Griselbrand, Stoic Angel, and Domri Rade.

MM3 sticks out like a sore thumb among the four. Neither Stoic Angel or Domri Rade see any play in Modern. Stoic Angel doesn't even see a ton of play in Commander. Neither features any mechanic set to return for the set. While both are okay reprints since they're both relatively low supply cards (Domri Rade due to his EDH demand) neither are cards that we would expect, given previous examples, to be featured. Maybe they just happen to be the mix of cards they thought would display the best as pack art in the set but it's definitely a bit of a head scratcher.

OnPoint

Liliana's priorities: Being fabulous > Demons > Bolas

As long as we're stuck with the Gatewatch, I hope they keep making an effort to have the main 5 "roleplay" the plane that they're visiting. On Innistrad we had Detective Jace, and now we have Liliana as Queen of the Nile and Gideon with a desert-appropriate variation on his normal armor. It's fun when the Gatewatch takes on some aspects of the plane they're visiting; it helps integrate the plane and the protagonists so that both can be developed.
Which is why I hope Ajani is the lead for Altrazan. Putting a cat in a water-themed world is amusing considerinf how cats normally like water.

jph139

Anubis was the god of death and Seth the god of violence and stuff so I'd swap those two around.

I originally thought that, but if Seth = Black and Anubis = Red, the images would be posted in the correct WUBRG order. And the Anubis art feels very "red" to me in palette and pose.

Speaking mythologically you're probably right. Just a matter of how much creative license they took.

Wulfric

New Liliana art = QUEEN

I'm not exactly excited about the same scene in each full art, but they should be worth a little bit upon release. Any idea if you can open foils?

New (supposed) Snapcaster is kinda meh, replacing Volkan Baga's art is a bad idea.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";230670250]No dissing Chase Stone allowed. He made my favorite MTG art of all time:

feldon_of_the_third_path_by_chasestone-d8chz19.jpg

Karla Ortiz flip lili is number 2.

Magic-Origins-Liliana-artwork.jpg

One of these days I'll find an excuse to talk about classical sensibilities and some of my favorite MTG art.[/QUOTE]
Those are great ones the gods look much too clean and shiny. The belly dancer outfit is a little annoying with flip lili

Violet_0

Banned
Pictures of (I assume) the Gods:

Bastet - Naya or Bant, but looks like a W/R card
Thoth - Esper. Looks W/U
Sobek - Jund
Anubis - Grixis. B, U and R all seem to fit with this one. Side note, Anubis seems to be a woman in this universe
Wadjet - I don't know, something Golgari

or they could be boring and they are all mono-colored. I love the art, anyway

e:
magic-origins-liliananqj64.jpg

too much?

Those are great ones the gods look much too clean and shiny. The belly dancer outfit is a little annoying with flip lili

I can guarantee you that the belly dancer outfit wasn't a creative choice on Karla's part. I went to one of her art seminars and she was talking about how she keeps trying to cover up her female characters and the clients keep telling her to change it. Sometimes she submits stuff back without actually making the requested changes. So if you think MTG art isn't up to par with female outfits, that's all on WotC.

I fully believe that and the art is indeed amazing.
I'm still looking for an EDH deck to include her in.

The 2nd God is perfect it's the only one that really shows a scale for the size and he appears to be somewhere for a reason, the others are just posing, and there's even a nice little touch of a flock of birds around his right hand.
Curious that the only one that conveys any form of emotion to me is the god with no face.

Jhriad

Theros God art > Amonkhet God art. Of course, the Theros Gods also had associated themes that probably helped the artists create more interesting pieces.

Santiako

I originally thought that, but if Seth = Black and Anubis = Red, the images would be posted in the correct WUBRG order. And the Anubis art feels very "red" to me in palette and pose.

Speaking mythologically you're probably right. Just a matter of how much creative license they took.

You are probably right, I didn't realise they were in WUBRG order.

I guess that crocodragon art posted earlier isn't actually one of the gods.

I hope the "full art lands in some booster packs" thing continues. It just makes sense.

And it's a good thing I remembered to post my -1/-1 counter prediction when I did.

Theros God art > Amonkhet God art. Of course, the Theros Gods also had associated themes that probably helped the artists create more interesting pieces.
I also love the Theros gods, mainly because they have that star / universe / nyx thing going. Especially Nylea I think is awesome. Actually they looked more like stoic watchers, maybe subtle influencers, whereas the Amonkhet gods look more like creatures that will fuck shit up if you displease them. It's a different kind of awesome.

The god art has me excited if it is Shards for this set, because woo baby I need all 5 of those in foil (maybe Masterpiece as well)

Modern Masters 3, if the box is anything close to an indication, is going to suck. Watch as they still try to justify the $250+ pricetag.

Regardless, I really hope this is a permament addition and a thing for each block.

Maro confirmed on tumblr it isn't. :(

Maybe they just happen to be the mix of cards they thought would display the best as pack art in the set but it's definitely a bit of a head scratcher.

Yeah, I agree it's pretty strange in that sense, I just don't think we can really read the tea leaves on the set as a whole from that.

Domri Rade really is a bizarro choice to include no matter what, though. Each MM has one good PW and one shitty one and the good one here is gonna be Lili, but like nobody on earth wants a Domri.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom